Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:18:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387448 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:47:42 AM

"master nodes aren’t untraceable"
Doesn't monero have nodes? Yes? Are they untraceable?

Monero doesnt need nodes for mixing, If you use that argument than bitcoin is also centralized which is of course non-sense because its a p2p network.

Who said anything about mixing? Argument was that a government could take down the nodes of a coin or hold people running one liable for breaking whatever law.

"Masternode centralization problem"
Doesn't monero have nodes? Yes? => "centralization problem"

Nonsene again, of course a p2p network uses nodes thats why its DECENTRALIZED.

Exactly, masternodes and regular wallets form a decentralized network.

But if you use "special" nodes for special tasks with closed source software all hosted at amazon, ovh and digital ocean...its hardly decentralized, i am just waiting for the first reports of abused and confiscated mixing nodes and people losing their money...

Source will be opened, in not so far future. And, when running a masternode, you can keep your 1000 coins in a local cold wallet, and the masternode's wallet doesn't even have to be encrypted! It doesn't hold any coins!

The reason that Amazon has so many masternodes, is because the first step-by-step guide to run one used Amazon as an example. This will change in time I'm sure. Here is the current node distribution by operator: http://drk.poolhash.org/darksend.html

Who said anything about mixing? Argument was that a government could take down the nodes of a coin or hold people running one liable for breaking whatever law. -illodin

Ok in this scenario , if the government decides to take down nodes for Bitcoin or Monero which wouldn't make much sense on their part, anyone who has a spare $20 can setup a new node in no time, Plus the taking down of nodes will not affect Monero's ability to provide anonymity in anyway. Bitcoin runs perfectly and it's Lacking nodes, Monero will also run perfectly if it ever lacks nodes

If the government decides to take down nodes for Darkcoin however, Darkcoin's entire coinjoin-based trivial, "anonymity" will be destroyed, as Darkcoin's coinjoin/mixing feature Relies on the centralized masternodes to mix a user's coins. Without the masternodes, Darkcoin is just another 50% instamined scamcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dga

Activity: 737
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 12:51:29 AM

In regards to Anonymint, when he speaks I would pay attention. He is at genius / near genius levels when it comes to cryptography and math. If he says it cannot scale, it cannot scale. The blockchain CANNOT be pruned anywhere near enough for it to be a practical, anonymous currency.
Can you support your claim that a large blockchain makes it not practical or anonymous?

With a 50% or more reduction in size, CrytoNote's blockchain bloat will be only slightly more than Bitcoin's blockchain bloat.
Certainly not right now. In 5 or more years, who can say.

OK 5 years? DRK security issues are much more urgent Wink

What people prefers:

+ XMR or BBR's blockchain is bloated. It is larger than Bitcoin's
+ DRK is insecure. Its technology is obsolete Wink
English as a second language or cognitive deficiency? Hmm, hard to tell. Either way, the idea behind a discussion board is for posts to be coherent.

You're sure posting a lot for someone who is confident in the superiority of a given technology.

Let's try to inject a little bit of reason into this discussion.

(1)  As long as Moore's law continues, the bloat in the cryptonote family will be relatively inconsequential in comparison to the overhead in Bitcoin.  Unlike others in this thread, I'm not going to make any claims of a 2x overhead, because I think that's incorrect.  Let's call it a roughly 14x overhead.

At present, the Bitcoin blockchain is roughly 20GB, with most of that growth in the last two years.

That means that a roughly equivalent Cryptonote blockchain might be on the order of 380GB *if* CN became as popular as Bitcoin.

The key thing about that is that that's a size that can be stored on a commodity SSD today - which means that with continued growth, as long as Moore's law continues to bless us with density advances (in flash, HDD, or a future nonvolatile memory), we'll be able to fit the CN blockchain on a single commodity storage device for the forseeable future.

That's good.  It's not great, and it should be improved, because it does mean that running a full cryptonote node requires dedicating some real hardware to it.  But it's easy to engineer things so that the vast majority of the blockchain is stored only on HDD, for which 380GB is negligible even with today's 2-4TB disks, and uses on the order of 10GB of SSD to store the more active portions.

Is it trivial?  No.  Is it research?  No;  it's pretty well-understood engineering.  And we've got a few years in which to get such a solution engineered.

380GB/year is roughly 1GB/day of data transfer.  Again, that's a fair bit by today's standards, but keeps people under even Comcast's horrid monthly cap.  Two or three years from now, it will remain fairly negligible.

But all that said, neither Bitcoin or any of its derivatives, or Cryptonote, is good enough.  As others have noted, the need to split transactions into fixed-size pieces (as DRK's masternode approach does as well) is part of the cause of the bloat, and thus, one might reasonably expect DRK to suffer somewhere between Bitcoin and Cryptonote.

Conclusion:  All of these systems are kind of OK for what they're doing today, and *all* of them need substantial improvements before they can become the de facto payment system.

You're welcome to bet that DRK will solve this before XMR - that's not something I'm qualified to judge.  But please be honest that what you're really claiming here is a prediction about longer-term technical innovation, not the immediate state of the art with any of these currencies.

(2)  You're ignoring the Boolberry improvements in ring signature trimming, which substantially reduce the longer-term size of the blockchain, and numerous other *substantive* improvements by both the XMR and BBR developers, when you claim that all they've done is fix a few trivial things in the pool code.

That's silly, and an easily falsifiable claim, and it makes you sound like you're being dishonest in pursuit of promoting your favorite coin.  Don't do that.  As a brief list of some of the improvements that have come post-BCN, consider:

* GUI wallets [Several in beta for XMR, one released for BBR].  This is a much less trivial exercise than it is for Bitcoin clones, which can take advantage of the existing ecosystem to a greater degree.
  * Multiple exchanges support.  Again, see above.
  * Progress on external review of cryptonote (from xmr)
  * Transaction auto-splitting addresses a major usability issue with cryptonote (XMR)
  * Ring signature trimming for blockchain compaction (BBR)
  * (Up for debate between bbr/xmr camps) out mixin count restrictions for increased long-term anonymity (BBR)
  * RPC-able wallet (XMR)
  * Deterministic wallets (XMR)
  * Addressing numerous robustness issues with dust attacks, networking bugs, etc. (both BBR & XMR)

It's up to you to decide whether these are "significant", but it behooves us all to keep the debate factual.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:57:07 AM

Ok in this scenario , if the government decides to take down nodes for Bitcoin or Monero which wouldn't make much sense on their part, anyone who has a spare $20 can setup a new node in no time

Anyone who had a drk masternode that got taken down can just as easily set up a new node. He doesn't lose his 1000 coins if the masternode is taken down as you don't store the 1000 coins in the masternode's wallet, you store them in a local cold wallet where they'll be safe. Again, you can setup a new masternode "in no time".

Plus the taking down of nodes will not affect Monero's ability to provide anonymity in anyway.

No, but it will prevent people from connecting to the network so for them it doesn't matter if there's anonymity or not if they can't even use it.
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:01:55 AM

dga, I'm not denying Moore's law (although things aren't looking good for processors...). Hard drive sizes will eventually make block chain size less of an issue. I just hope you're ok with waiting 5+ years for that to happen. All in the vain hope for "more anonymity". We won't get true anonymity until we have open source hardware. Hope you're ok with waiting anywhere up to 20 years. In the meantime, Darkcoin will deliver privacy that meets 99.9% of peoples' need for "anonymity".
dga

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 01:04:41 AM

dga, I'm not denying Moore's law (although things aren't looking good for processors...). Hard drive sizes will eventually make block chain size less of an issue. I just hope you're ok with waiting 5+ years for that to happen. All in the vain hope for "more anonymity". We won't get true anonymity until we have open source hardware. Hope you're ok with waiting anywhere up to 20 years. In the meantime, Darkcoin will deliver privacy that meets 99.9% of peoples' need for "anonymity".

I don't expect any of the coins under discussion to achieve substantial real-world impact in the next 12 months.

Do you?

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:04:57 AM

Darkcoin has enough (and will have more than enough) anonymity for all practical purposes - the headway it has stems from being compatible with bitcoin. Anyone who is already operating with bitcoin (either end user, retailer, or financial corporation) can easily start operating with drk as well. And all future improvements that bitcoin will have can be ported to drk. How much this matters in a year or two though remains to be seen.
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:06:48 AM

I don't expect any of the coins under discussion to achieve substantial real-world impact in the next 12 months.

Do you?
Define substantial. I expect to see perhaps 10% of Bitcoin's transaction volume.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:08:29 AM

Bytecoin devs, someone writes about you and CryptoNote http://www.cryptobang.com/2014/07/09/bytecoin/

PS: Time to dump DRK Wink
ibuyltc

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:16:39 AM

Please dont feed the obvious trolls about Darkcoin (or any other already debunked coins)

On a side note, this thread has gained 5 pages in one day.  It would seem the more they are trolling this thread, the more its kept at the number 1 position in this subsection for all to see, causing more people to be informed about XMR.   Shocked
Newmine

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:37:35 AM

Just bought MRO. All other coins are worthless and doomed. You should buy MRO too. So the price will rise. This post is in no way bias. 

FTFY OP.

What a crock of shit. Had you just spouted off about how good MRO is, I would have taken your advice to heart. But because you decided to bash every Alt except the one you hold, I think you are no more than a propaganda artist with the incentive to make sure you make money regardless of truths.
Queeq

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:08:58 AM

Sick of this massive holy war. Can you guys stop garble the information to your own preference?
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 09:11:14 AM

yeah ruining the thread.

Back to Altwall observing  Smiley

nakaone

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 09:21:29 AM

I do not want to join bagholders war but you guys are aware that enough anonymity is quite a funny idea - something is anonymous or it is not. the rest is easily achievable with bitcoin.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 09:49:48 AM

Snip

Good stuff thanks. It seems we can put the Dark vs Monero debate to rest. The price will follow once people realize this and the inflation for Monero tapers off.

Would be great to see a similar comparison for Monero vs Boolberry if someone is up for it.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:11:05 AM

Would be great to see a similar comparison for Monero vs Boolberry if someone is up for it.

I have a dream: BBR and XMR devs become one team
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:15:06 AM

I have a dream: BBR and XMR devs become one team

bonero
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:37:56 AM
Last edit: July 10, 2014, 10:55:12 AM by XbladeX

From your post its clear that you are BTC oriented guy and you are ignoring crypto evolution.
Many alts are pure copies but many of them are bringing new value to crypto.

NXT
is 100% premined to a few executives in the beginning. It is a startup, and not a currency, and I don't believe it will ever be. Invest accordingly.
New economy difternt approach to coin to crypto ONE big "-" is dystrybution.

DOGE
is one of the 2 coins (other was AUR) where I saw some merit. This was when it had just come, at 35s. Now I believe it is in a terminal decline, since there are no markets for all-around coins except BTC. A further threat is that DOGE's inflation is quickly slowing, making its network very vulnerable. I advice to sell out on this one.
Doge bring many new people to crypto world and have large community oposite to many clones their charity was made some good things
in real world beside PnD. In longer run it can be more popular than you think.

BC
is designed a 100% premined pump&dump get-rich-quickly coin, which I did not touch when it was introduced to me in the early days of the first pump. Stay out (unless you like to be on the receiving end).
BC 1st coin from PPC line which dared turned of almighty POW part Before BC all were saying that PPC POS system is insecure and can not be trusted...
now you are testing live protocol and its seciurity.
100% premine - good joke - was fast mine 7day minig only.
Yes because of that was heavily manipulated but so far development is quide impressive.
1st smart contract client in open beta - and multisign client too.
And core dev is sitill VERY active even after mega pump so... i don't think that his sntecion was gt quik rich at the end.
His donations were untouched during pump.

QRK
is also a secretly premined coin, which I believe is already in a terminal decline after the original pump was successful.

bittalk history shows that it was mined by many people in six month price was 50-150 before big pump at end of mining.
+ for queak - for force fast algorithms and fast transaction times in p2p system.

about Mro i have miss feelings i like support original devs, steel someones concept is easy and put own name on it.
But volume mro over BCN is impressive.

Anyway PnD are every where BTC is best example of that too.
China news and price + - 30%.

Alts are improving over time transaction speed - security no 51% attacks - mining asics proff coins (mining centralization like BTC )
alts are doing that what BTC is trying avoid "fear of fork"...core evolution.

You can't stop evolution some day some of those ats will be bigger than slow BTC BTC will be like e-gold but p2p functionality will be in alts side.

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:27:14 AM

Monero supporters are almost as bad as the religious cuckoos that deny evolution. What part of cannot scale don't you understand? Have fun trading your proof of concept amongst yourselves. Just hope the community doesn't grow too big, or you won't even be able to send coins!

Same thing was said about bitcoin not more, than one year ago.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 05:00:10 PM

I do not want to join bagholders war but you guys are aware that enough anonymity is quite a funny idea - something is anonymous or it is not. the rest is easily achievable with bitcoin.

So is Monero NSA-proof / absolutely and fully 100% anonymous?
dga

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 05:04:24 PM

So is Monero NSA-proof / absolutely and fully 100% anonymous?

Nope.

Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: