Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:30:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387454 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:33:30 PM

XC is a bitcoin based PoS coin, and the dev says their implementation is 100% anonymous & bullet-proof:

and this isn't our last layer, we have 1 more layer of blockchain privacy coming out as well with REV3, and at that stage it will be 100% anonymous & bullet-proof when combined with all the layers we have built

Ah so the dev said and therefore it must be true.

lol.

And it will remain true until proven otherwise.
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:36:38 PM

XC also has a premine.

It's "anonymity" is also coinjoin based and the mixers are the user's wallets, so if a malicious entity of agency decided to see through XC's anonymity, they would simply have to create a large amount of wallets for themselves, so that most coins would be redirected to their wallets, and theyll see transactions as clear as day.... along with the fact that in the beginning its "anonymity" was unraveled by Chaeplin (Read XC Unmoderated Thread, where XC's coin mixing wasnt working at all)
HardwarePal

Activity: 565

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:48:43 PM

XC was under the radar for several days with no mention on the pre-ann page about anon, it was a simple crappy wallet with no coin icon and a slight mention of some android app.

If I had rented 100mh/s in the first 2-3days I would have over 500BTC worth today.

I personally mined after the launch ( a few hours in) with 7 gpus for 6 hours ( at the current price that would be roughly 10BTC worth)

EDIT : Plus its coin supply was cut from roughly 16m coins to 5m after they mentioned anon
Quanttek

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 04:56:07 PM

XC is a bitcoin based PoS coin, and the dev says their implementation is 100% anonymous & bullet-proof:

and this isn't our last layer, we have 1 more layer of blockchain privacy coming out as well with REV3, and at that stage it will be 100% anonymous & bullet-proof when combined with all the layers we have built

Ah so the dev said and therefore it must be true.

lol.

And it will remain true until proven otherwise.

lol. It's exactly the other way around. If you claim "My coin (XC) is anonymous" you have to, of course, proof it

Enthusiast. Neither trader, nor miner and also no big investor.
Community Manager for Monero
PM if you need mine to exchange or anti-cheat algorithm for node-cryptonote-pool
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:39:10 PM

Personally I'm very interested on someone's technical analysis of the anon tech in XC. I mean Darkcoin is constantly criticised  due to it's technical failings over the past few months. But the lack of criticism of XC leads me to believe that it's might fall in to one of these two categories:

1) That the anon tech is actually solid.

or

2) That the distribution and such was so bad that people don't even think it's worth analysing the tech and thus we don't actually know whether it works well or not.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 06:03:37 PM

Personally I'm very interested on someone's technical analysis of the anon tech in XC. I mean Darkcoin is constantly criticised  due to it's technical failings over the past few months. But the lack of criticism of XC leads me to believe that it's might fall in to one of these two categories:

or

2) That the distribution and such was so bad that people don't even think it's worth analysing the tech and thus we don't actually know whether it works well or not.

Just the one above point from darkota, strongly smacks it technical merits, and you can be sure that intelligence agencies are flooding this space. If not, they should be named "ignorant" agencies. If you are going to invest into multiple cryptos, I would break the investment down % wise by what technically is on top, but also on just public perception The latter can create a snowball effect from a pump but usually won't last. E.g. Dogy.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
yAmAdA

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 06:07:38 PM

or

I have tried looking at the source code (https://github.com/atcsecure/X11COIN.git) and could not see anything related to anon tech. There is also only a single commit, so maybe this is the wrong place. Do you know where I can find the current code?

If there is no code available, I propose:

3) No code available, so nobody with a mind will care about the coin and no analysis will be done.

To explain: Binary analysis is bothersome work to perform. I do not see a way of profiting by doing this work, so it is unlikely to be done. Without source, it is impossible to trust the coin or developer.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 06:09:33 PM

or

Just the one above point from darkota, strongly smacks it technical merits, and you can be sure that intelligence agencies are flooding this space. If not, they should be named "ignorant" agencies. If you are going to invest into multiple cryptos, I would break the investment down % wise by what technically is on top, but also on just public perception The latter can create a snowball effect from a pump but usually won't last. E.g. Dogy.

Regular coinjoin can be unraveled but since the XC dev is claiming that their anonymity works perhaps it's an improved version? I clicked a link to a pdf on one of XC's ann threads but I got a 503 error or something. I'll go look again and see if I can find any documentation.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 06:25:04 PM

(a) Use end-to-end encryption to support transaction broadcasting, secure messaging, and true P2P anonymous transactions.
(b) Upon this is built an optional mixer that testing has shown to eliminate any record in the blockchain of a link between sender and receiver.
(c) This mixer is a revolutionary “multi-path” implementation that employs multi-sig to route fragments of transactions down separate paths through the network, compounding anonymity while adding redundancy and security.
(d) Communication between nodes is optionally via TOR, which obfuscates users’ IP addresses.

Emphasis mine. Legit new tech or same old CoinJoin?
btc-mike

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 07:16:15 PM

(a) Use end-to-end encryption to support transaction broadcasting, secure messaging, and true P2P anonymous transactions.
(b) Upon this is built an optional mixer that testing has shown to eliminate any record in the blockchain of a link between sender and receiver.
(c) This mixer is a revolutionary “multi-path” implementation that employs multi-sig to route fragments of transactions down separate paths through the network, compounding anonymity while adding redundancy and security.
(d) Communication between nodes is optionally via TOR, which obfuscates users’ IP addresses.

Emphasis mine. Legit new tech or same old CoinJoin?

Mixers function is similar to DRK masternodes.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 08:59:12 PM

rpietila or anyone that's holding XMR, can you give me some trading advice on this?

I have around 60 XMR, I bought some at 70K (yes panic buy, I thought it was going to replace DRK prices, and I still think it will but not that quick..) then I bought some at like 40K too.
Should I hold until around 90, then sold and buy back at a 60K correction?
Should I just get the coins out of the exchange (Poloniex) and cold storage them on my wallet?
If I do this to, I don't feel like it will be a quantity high enough to deliver me decent gains, so I would ideally like to try to get more XMR in small increases as I sell during the (I hope) what I think will be peaks. I've observed in most altcoins after a 40K increase or so, there is a correction that lasts a couple days or sometimes weeks.

My experience in trying to guide others in trading, is that even when I am exactly right, and do really well with the same strategy that I suggested to them, they tend to lose. 

I think the "selling 20% every time price doubles" sounds really and within the context of Monero, which is a coin I trust for long term, it would make sense since I do believe price is only going up in the long run. I would have a much calm mind if I didn't buy at the damn peak tho, I have that constant feeling of wanting to solve that out asap, but I feel that as long as it approaches the price I bought that a small panic buy will happen reaching 0.01 territory, with a correction that may or not be enough for me to start making gains and recoup the investment.
But yeah, im not gonna ask for exact numbers of course.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 10:04:32 PM

Emphasis mine. Features that need to be tested empirically to know how much anonymity they provide, have (close to) zero value.
You don't build anonymity by building up several layers that each provide a kind of obfuscation. Put a thousand of layers, you still don't have true unlinkability, untraceability. But you do get a nasty bigger nest of potential bugs and unexpected edge cases.
All these efforts would be a fair contribution if ring signatures wouldn't exist, but looking at them with Monero in mind, they are a bit ridiculous.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:44:04 AM

Wanted to mentioned this yesterday (before the current potential breakout.)
Monero's chart looks a bit like a triangle that is breaking out. It is not exactly textbook but you can easily see the coil like pattern here.
Not sure why someone put in such a huge buy order (88BTC) but perhaps they were "trying" to start the breakout? (Was a huge spike up in price, almost to the last high on this triangle - .00575)

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 12:28:53 PM

Not sure why someone put in such a huge buy order (88BTC) but perhaps they were "trying" to start the breakout? (Was a huge spike up in price, almost to the last high on this triangle - .00575)

My guess: They lost a wager payable only in XMR, by midnight.

This gives me an idea...

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:02:01 PM

Buying that many is very difficult and just placing 88BTC of bids is just going to get people bidding infront of you. Without knowing any miners to buy direct from getting 88BTC worth of XMR with .001 slippage isn't actaully a bad trade at all. Also the average price paid would probably work out to 0.005ish of slippage again not a bad trade. If you have deep pockets paying 3-5 btc extra to just get your chunk rather than placing bids is really not a lot of money.

To me this just shows the sort of players entering the market and is one of many current buy signals.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:13:16 PM

Aminorex - LOL, I guess that is possible. Share your Satoshi Dice like idea!

Dreamspark - I considered what you said and perhaps they first tried to buy small amounts of coins and it moved things too much. Who knows.
But for sure there is bigger money entering XMR. I guess Rpietila is telling his friends with castles.  Grin
Looking at the daily volume, it is just insane on Poloniex (238 BTC so far). (Dark is dead there - 4BTC). And on Mintpal, DRK no longer has the huge advantage of the past. (22BTC vs 98 BTC).
It looks like Monero is starting to have a lot more volume than Dark.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:37:34 PM

I once typed in the wrong price, one to few zeros after the decimal, and ended up with a market buy.  I'd hate to think I'm the only stupid one Grin

There is no confirm button on Poloniex Huh

This also happened just as I was buying at what I thought was a decent price and then boom Cry
ejinte

Activity: 644

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:00:06 PM

How many moneros is mined so far? How many will it be in the end? Can someone please show me a graph of this?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.6%-1% House Edge
griffinriz

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:15:30 PM

How many moneros is mined so far? How many will it be in the end? Can someone please show me a graph of this?

http://monerochain.info/charts/coins
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:26:32 PM

It's moneroj, not moneros  Tongue

While in English, the plural is often formed by adding (s) to the singular. In Esperanto, to form the plural of nouns and adjectives we add (-j)
http://mylanguages.org/esperanto_plural.php

Grin Grin Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: