Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:17:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387440 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1076

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:53:57 AM

Smooth, tromp wrote cuckoo - which maybe is indeed a not so bad addition for xmr i have to say, could solve the verification issues.
If if you don't want to launch an actual coin, raise a substantial bounty for a successful attack on the algorithm directly.

Probably not as substantial as you'd like (remember, this is only a hobby of mine),
but otherwise I followed your suggestion at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=707879.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kbm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:59:42 AM

That's if they get your address.

The extra work required on my end to obscure this is just that - extra work. A business is already busy, by definition. I'm not making the claim that it's impossible to keep this private. I'm making the claim that there are more avenues for which this can be abused. Anyone in payroll or purchasing would likely have access to the wallet address. That's more people that I'd have to trust to not abuse the business .. more headaches, as people are largely a finite resource that need to be replaced in business every so often. I wouldn't want to have to keep trusting new people with what would become extremely sensitive information. Why would I?

Also, when people look at the blockchain, all they'll see is someone sent this amount to this address. They'd not know what that is for unless there's a message included.

We both neglected to mention that most purchases are done with having the ip address recorded. They would have a very good clue of my logical location on a network, thereby easily finding out who I am. Again, more headaches and work that needs to be done on my end to protect my business.

And you could easily change address anytime you want.

Sure, see above reasons as to why I'd like not to do this. A bank offers me one or two (likely less than ten) bank accounts. To me this would be telling me that I can just open more bank accounts. Again, more work. Why would I voluntarily put myself in that situation, when it can be done automatically on a protocol level?

Thanks Smiley
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:05:29 AM

Also, when people look at the blockchain, all they'll see is someone sent this amount to this address. They'd not know what that is for unless there's a message included.

They know if they are a party to one of the transactions. They can look at linkages between the transaction they know about and others. For example, if you run a business, your landlord or other vendors can look at the source of the funds you use to pay them. Likewise your customers can see where the coins they are sending you are going. They can also often (if not always) find other customer payments to you, since those payments will often be aggregated to make payments to vendors, salaries, etc., again establishing linkages.

Much has been written about blockchain analysis. It is not as trivial as you suggest.

Changing addresses does not help you because transactions are linked, publicly, on the block chain. If you want to break those links you need some kind of mixing, coin exchange, zero-knowledge proofs, etc. which brings us right back to the realm of "anonymous" technologies.
kbm

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:11:01 AM

My reply was mostly to someone who said they didn't care about privacy in Bitcoin.  Even if you don't care about privacy at all, the non-anonymous networks might not survive due to overbearing government regulation, or even confiscation.  

Yeah, that's true. I often avoid this topic, because it's not something that I'm ready to deal with. Not that I don't understand the need for it (or that I don't want to understand it), more that it's not affecting me personally right now .. and I'd rather add by providing thoughts on things I'm familiar with. I guess that sounds pretty jaded, but usually the people that do have input on that (you, for example) explain it quite well .. so I tend to avoid the topic alltogether and try to re-enforce your points with ways I feel I can. I'm still reading up on the newest NY proposed laws, so maybe it's time to get better versed on the regulation aspect of it. It's easy to imagine total confiscation, but it's a tough topic for me to debate personally; however, I see us both as having the same goals.

If Bitcoin was subject to crazy laws in the US and not suitable for use here, but works fine in Luxemborg, the US is still the market maker and changing to something else more functional here would probably bring everyone else along.

Are you trying to imply that modified regulations are in order, or something other than bitcoin is in order?

I would say it's arguably easier to hide gold than Bitcoin, assuming you aren't a trillionaire, and they have already made a run at gold confiscation.  Bitcoin confiscation doesn't seem that unrealistic when the government wants some extra income.

That's an interesting idea. Assuming someone were to know that you have either gold/bitcoin in the first place, I would think that bitcoin may well be hidden easier. I haven't considered ways in which to hide bitcoin though, nor gold. Why do you think it's easier to hide gold? Because it's harder to tell that you've purchased it in the first place or because of it being something physical?

Thanks Smiley
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:43:25 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2014, 05:07:42 AM by r0ach

I would say it's arguably easier to hide gold than Bitcoin, assuming you aren't a trillionaire, and they have already made a run at gold confiscation.  Bitcoin confiscation doesn't seem that unrealistic when the government wants some extra income.

That's an interesting idea. Assuming someone were to know that you have either gold/bitcoin in the first place, I would think that bitcoin may well be hidden easier. I haven't considered ways in which to hide bitcoin though, nor gold. Why do you think it's easier to hide gold? Because it's harder to tell that you've purchased it in the first place or because of it being something physical?

Bitcoin requires a paper trail to acquire, to use, to do anything with.  When Argentina had it's currency collapse, gold markets for items popped up instantly.  The government didn't really have the means to confiscate that gold, even if they wanted to.  If you had people do the same with Bitcoin during a currency crisis, all it does is create a giant billboard sign of, "hey, this is where the wealth is to fund the trillion dollar government debt, come and get it".  At that point, if Bitcoin was actually used for anything, the price would probably have ballooned to 100x what it is now.  Best case scenario, if you didn't have it confiscated, you would probably be taxed at some crazy rate of 90%.

Even if you're a law abiding citizen, all roads with Bitcoin seem almost certain to turn you into a fugitive from the law in some way eventually.  In this regard, Bitcoin has failed, and the only real solution is to try and make a currency completely impossible for a government to regulate.

PoW mining pools are an easy point of attack due to centralization, so I'm not really sure Cryptonote helps in this regard.  Some kind of PoS system where all block signer nodes operate anonymously over TOR might be the best thing for now.  PoS has other security problems though, and some say TOR is useless due to timing attacks.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
akujin

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:46:02 AM

The extra work required on my end to obscure this is just that - extra work. A business is already busy, by definition. I'm not making the claim that it's impossible to keep this private. I'm making the claim that there are more avenues for which this can be abused. Anyone in payroll or purchasing would likely have access to the wallet address. That's more people that I'd have to trust to not abuse the business .. more headaches, as people are largely a finite resource that need to be replaced in business every so often. I wouldn't want to have to keep trusting new people with what would become extremely sensitive information. Why would I?
But even if, say, you paid an employee and this employee see the sender's address and the transactions, he still wouldn't know what these transactions are for.

Sure, see above reasons as to why I'd like not to do this. A bank offers me one or two (likely less than ten) bank accounts. To me this would be telling me that I can just open more bank accounts. Again, more work. Why would I voluntarily put myself in that situation, when it can be done automatically on a protocol level?
And even if they try to trace where the balance come from, they wouldn't know who owns that address since it's possible that you bought the btc from someone.

We both neglected to mention that most purchases are done with having the ip address recorded. They would have a very good clue of my logical location on a network, thereby easily finding out who I am. Again, more headaches and work that needs to be done on my end to protect my business.
Why would you be worried about anyone knowing where you are? Ordinary people wouldn't know who's behind an IP. I think only governments could threaten an ISP to give out your info. So that means you're hiding you're location against the government?

BTC: 165rKPfGJ3ndrG1QziHR6ACnViP4EQHNK7
LTC: LMysGMFjmF9gR9RzStij74msXrDP1NqW8X
DOGE: DRZXGgcKN8kANwko3VycsBVVGqfy6XsSpM
akujin

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:54:23 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2014, 05:19:44 AM by akujin

Say, someone wants to buy 2nd hand ps4 from someone. Why would he be so eager to use cryptos with anon feature and hide his transactions?

There's always been the chance of governments attempting to outlaw cyrptocurrency outright.  If they don't do that, they might also attempt to kill it with overbearing regulation, or according to Anonymint, confiscation.  People see anonymous coins as being a safeguard to both of those variables, amongst others.  Purely speculative on my part of course.
But the more you try to hide your transactions, the more they keep an eye on you. And also, the government may persuade companies like amazon, dell, etc. not to support cryptos with these feature.

dell already allow btc, we can always convert xmr -> btc, plus you don't need to fear surveillance with anonymous crypto only with bitcoin and clones.
I'm not worried about surveillance. Cryptos are currently in the "acceptance" stage, or in other parts of the world, it's still in the "getting to know" stage.
Isn't it a bit too early to add anon feature?Wouldn't this prevent the government from accepting cryptos since it could help criminals hide their transactions or aid in money laundering?

kbm

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:04:19 AM

Bitcoin requires a paper trail to acquire, to use, to do anything with.  When Argentina had it's currency collapse, gold markets for items popped up instantly.  
So the idea is that it's harder to find out that one has purchased gold as opposed to bitcoin? What if, when/if a currency were to collapse, there were bitcoin markets instead of gold ones? I'm assuming the gold markets were offered for upfront exchanges, not over the internet - can't you do that as well with bitcoin (IE: offchain initial transaction where someone trades you a bitcoin wallet/physical coin with 'x' bitcoins in it that you would then move to a different wallet (or keep as is), rather than conduct the transaction entirely over the internet). Were the gold markets online? I guess what I'm trying to ask is that 'could gold be replaced with physical exchange of bitcoin in that scenario?' Either way - I guess you'd have a tough time spending that bitcoin in the future unless you were to continue trading it off-chain. Gold would be more suited for that.

The government didn't really have the means to confiscate that gold, even if they wanted to.  If you had people do the same with Bitcoin during a currency crisis, all it does is create a giant billboard sign of, "hey, this is where the wealth is to fund the trillion dollar government debt, come and get it".  At that point, if Bitcoin was actually used for anything, the price would probably have ballooned to 100x what it is now.  Best case scenario, if you didn't have it confiscated, you would probably be taxed at some crazy rate of 90%.

If they did want to, I would take into consideration that I could just send the bitcoin to any physical location I wanted to .. or in absolute worst case scenario - they found out I had it at 'x' location, and my life were at state for having it - I could literally destroy the bitcoin. I cannot imagine depriving them of their gold by destroying it so easily - which may just be a consideration if I were to consider that my life were at stake and if I were to lose it the funds would be immediately seized and used to fund something I (add: don't) agree with. What I'm trying to say is that in such a scenario where I would lose my life regardless of the actions I take - I have the option to physically destroy bitcoin (I think - aren't there some addresses I can send to that make the outputs unspendable?). I do not have such an easy way to destroy the value with gold. 'War machine' doesn't get funded further, but I don't get to live seems to be the worst case scenario with bitcoin. 'War machine' potentially has a really tough time finding gold (if they do at all - point is that it still exists to be used as value in the future .. possibly by the aggressor), and I still don't get to live seems to be the worst case scenario with gold.

Even if you're a law abiding citizen, all roads with Bitcoin seem almost certain to turn you into a fugitive from the law in some way eventually.  In this regard, Bitcoin has failed, and the only real solution is to try and make a currency completely impossible for a government to regulate.  

Heh, even if you're a law-abiding citizen, all roads with (holding anything of high value) seem to turn you into a fugitive from the law if the law were to consider you it's next prime source of value and pursue you for witholding it. I agree that bitcoin has helped paint the target on your back, and not only has it done so at a protocol level .. but it's done it more effectively than any transfer/storage of value to date.

Thanks Smiley
akujin

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:11:44 AM

They know if they are a party to one of the transactions. They can look at linkages between the transaction they know about and others. For example, if you run a business, your landlord or other vendors can look at the source of the funds you use to pay them. Likewise your customers can see where the coins they are sending you are going. They can also often (if not always) find other customer payments to you, since those payments will often be aggregated to make payments to vendors, salaries, etc., again establishing linkages.

Much has been written about blockchain analysis. It is not as trivial as you suggest.
Ok let's take this as an example. Let's say I was the one who received the BTC:
http://blockchain.info/tx/b64f6476902dc87ca1bb83ee69e1b259bc6c72bba72bf258330276711c45e3f4
Let's say you are the sender, so, I would know how much is the balance on your address. But how am I going to know what the other transactions are for? How would I know you bought some dildos? How would I know that you are also the one who owns the address that sent the BTC on the address you used to pay me?

Changing addresses does not help you because transactions are linked, publicly, on the block chain. If you want to break those links you need some kind of mixing, coin exchange, zero-knowledge proofs, etc. which brings us right back to the realm of "anonymous" technologies.
That's only if I really, really want to hide my transactions

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:19:55 AM

http://blockchain.info/tx/b64f6476902dc87ca1bb83ee69e1b259bc6c72bba72bf258330276711c45e3f4
Let's say you are the sender, so, I would know how much is the balance on your address. But how am I going to know what the other transactions are for? How would I know you bought some dildos? How would I know that you are also the one who owns the address that sent the BTC on the address you used to pay me?

Obviously I wouldn't know if you bought dildos from a vendor who sells a variety of goods. That goes well beyond payment.

But if I wanted to know if you bought something from a store that specializes in didoes, I would go ahead and buy some dildos myself from several of these stores, and then look for linkages. But I wouldn't personally need to do this myself, because it is easy for people (and more importantly, because they will likely do it at scale, businesses) to create these sorts of databases on the Internet.

The Internet advertising industry is built around creating databases that track people and share information between millions of web sites. This was not really by design, it is just that the web was also not explicitly designed to protect privacy, and clever people figured out how to track and link. A decade later and we have an whole industry doing it, with almost everyone tracked and identified.

I really doubt we want that kind of tracking and information sharing extended to payment, at least I don't. I prefer my payments remain at least as private as they were before Bitcoin, not less.

kbm

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:22:57 AM

But even if, say, you paid an employee and this employee see the sender's address and the transactions, he still wouldn't know what these transactions are for.
What's stopping someone from offering to buy lunch for someone at the office? All it would take is one meal. Say the person gives a receiving address, and now they can see the other person's transactions. Then from their own personal paychecks, they can cross reference the transactions rather easily and discover their income if people aren't using multiple addresses .. and just look for two transactions that are the same. Civility goes a long way, and in this case it can be used to discover private financial information about someone that just wanted a big-mac and fries. Again, steps can be taken to avoid this - but not everyone does this. How many people use their facebook login info on tens/hundreds of websites? They're not gonna do the work to stay private - because it involves potentially lots of work, and it needs to be done on a protocol level else it opens them to abuse.

Why would you be worried about anyone knowing where you are? Ordinary people wouldn't know who's behind an IP. I think only governments could threaten an ISP to give out your info. So that means you're hiding you're location against the government?

Incorrect, you're detracting from the argument. I will make the point that giving your ISP access to infinitely valuable, and potentially unencrypted, information that they don't have access to right now is a scenario for disaster. Right now, they don't stand to benefit nearly as much if they were to reveal this information, nor do they deal with the costs of keeping it private. If this information were to become incredibly valuable (which it would, because it would be financial transaction data) .. in that you're now not acting through a bank an instead directly with your transactor through an ISP .. multiple layers of obfuscation are now removed. I'm making the claim that if your ISP were to have access to your transaction records, rather than a bank, you (and them) will be in a terrible situation and as such the cost of having an ISP in the first place would scale infinitely in trying to secure that information, or worse possibly sell that information. An ISP is not a bank, and I could not imagine a scenario where I would treat them as such.

Thanks Smiley
akujin

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:29:30 AM

Obviously I wouldn't know if you bought dildos from a vendor who sells a variety of goods. That goes well beyond payment.

But if I wanted to know if you bought something from a store that specializes in didoes, I would go ahead and buy some dildos myself from several of these stores, and then look for linkages. But I wouldn't personally need to do this myself, because it is easy for people (and more importantly, because they will likely do it at scale, businesses) to create these sorts of databases on the Internet.

The Internet advertising industry is built around creating databases that track people and share information between millions of web sites. This was not really by design, it is just that the web was also not explicitly designed to protect privacy, and clever people figured out how to track and link. A decade later and we have an whole industry doing it, with almost everyone tracked and identified.

I really doubt we want that kind of tracking and information sharing extended to payment, at least I don't. I prefer my payments remain at least as private as they were before Bitcoin, not less.

LOL! That means you'll end up with a mountain of dildos.
I'd rather hire a spy than do that  Grin Grin Grin
And what if you bought it from a street vendor that sells different items?  Grin

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:47:47 AM

LOL! That means you'll end up with a mountain of dildos.

You're missing the point. It isn't about dildos specifically, that was just your example.

It is about tools being developed with that mountain of data that allow much of to be tracked, linked, and identified. It won't be targeted at you specifically (usually not at least), but it will be done in the aggregate and a great deal of identification will drop out. Have you ever posted a bitcoin address online? If so, and if you weren't extremely careful, that address can now be linked to your online identify, perhaps linked to other addresses of yours, and certainly linked to addresses of people who have transacted with you (who may also have posted addresses online, though not necessarily the same one you used) and indirectly (computers are good at this) linked with (many, many) other known addresses.

Here is one small example (though the graphs and tables in the paper are interesting, scary, and worth a look), and this is just the very, very beginning (think "cookies" as a privacy issue in web browsers a decade or more ago):

In this paper we explore this unique characteristic further, using heuristic clustering to group Bitcoin wallets based on evidence of shared authority, and then us- ing re-identification attacks (i.e., empirical purchasing of goods and services) to classify the operators of those clusters.

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~smeiklejohn/files/imc13.pdf
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 06:04:22 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2014, 06:26:17 AM by aminorex

Could anyone explain to me why there's too much fuss about anon coins and how would ordinary users benefit from this feature?
Say, someone wants to buy 2nd hand ps4 from someone. Why would he be so eager to use cryptos with anon feature and hide his transactions?

If you don't feel that privacy is important, I invite you to publish ALL of your UNEDITED credit card and bank statements, ever, on the Internet.

No?  Now consider someone who actually has wealth.  Suppose you have a billion dollars in spare change (after the last multinational corp you bought) and a daughter in elementary school.  Do you want every Corsican and Byelorussian ex patriate within 500km to be able to determine just how large a ransom to ask for, when they leave her left hand in your mailbox?

Suppose instead that you are a middle-level cadre running a department in a satellite city of Chongqing.  Making arrangements for entrepreneurs to build the New China has provided you with a substantial quantity of yuan that you need to move to Cambridge, for Harvard tuition, a boxster and a nice flat.  BoC is off the table.  Bitcoin leaves a trail similar to the heat trail a satellite sees when watching a nuclear submarine transit the pacific:  A big red arrow pointing directly to your location.

These are not merely "first world problems".

No one is asking you to use monero if it doesn't serve your interests.  But I do claim that it is a crucial protection from totalitarian control of your political and religious activism, and can be used to deny ANYONE who may wish to seize your wealth the information necessary to do so.  The tech to make this easy enough to use so that those who are motivated, but not technically exceptional, can do so, is not present.  But Monero puts it in reach.

We live in a world of increasing risks.  Transactional privacy enables you to manage many important risks in useful ways.  The captive coopted mass of circus-goers will not fret about this, as they butter the bread for their grilled government cheese sandwiches.  Those who have something which they consider their own, something to protect, will understand this.

Governments control the cheese consumers.  But those who control the governments have something to protect.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 07:08:58 AM

Could anyone explain to me why there's too much fuss about anon coins and how would ordinary users benefit from this feature?

If you don't feel that privacy is important, I invite you to publish ALL of your UNEDITED credit card and bank statements, ever, on the Internet.

No?  Now consider someone who actually has wealth.  Suppose you have a billion dollars in spare change (after the last multinational corp you bought) and a daughter in elementary school.  Do you want every Corsican and Byelorussian ex patriate within 500km to be able to determine just how large a ransom to ask for, when they leave her left hand in your mailbox?

Suppose instead that you are a middle-level cadre running a department in a satellite city of Chongqing.  Making arrangements for entrepreneurs to build the New China has provided you with a substantial quantity of yuan that you need to move to Cambridge, for Harvard tuition, a boxster and a nice flat.  BoC is off the table.  Bitcoin leaves a trail similar to the heat trail a satellite sees when watching a nuclear submarine transit the pacific:  A big red arrow pointing directly to your location.

These are not merely "first world problems".

No one is asking you to use monero if it doesn't serve your interests.  But I do claim that it is a crucial protection from totalitarian control of your political and religious activism, and can be used to deny ANYONE who may wish to seize your wealth the information necessary to do so.  The tech to make this easy enough to use so that those who are motivated, but not technically exceptional, can do so, is not present.  But Monero puts it in reach.

We live in a world of increasing risks.  Transactional privacy enables you to manage many important risks in useful ways.  The captive coopted mass of circus-goers will not fret about this, as they butter the bread for their grilled government cheese sandwiches.  Those who have something which they consider their own, something to protect, will understand this.

Governments control the cheese consumers.  But those who control the governments have something to protect.
It is all or nothing for me - I would if everybody else would too.

Either 100% transparency or 100% anonymity - Bitcoin is neither (and it hurts in my case that on the one hand I am stolen without being able to do nothing and on the other hand if I want to play 'fair' -for tax purposes etc- EVERYBODY knows my moves!).

EDIT: Regarding transparency a perfect book is 'Transparent Society' from David Brin, though he ignores cryptography and it's possible implications (not having to go in a 'cams everywhere / watch the watchers' idealscenario..
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 07:16:20 AM

Ethereum is starting to get my attention.

This is an extremely serious threat to be #1 or #2. I don't know if they can pull it all together.

I will studying and thinking more...

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 07:32:19 AM

This is an extremely serious threat to be #1 or #2. I don't know if they can pull it all together.

Anonymint shilling for Ethereum, now hell has frozen over.

"We're aiming for either a turing complete PoW algo, or a randomized hash function every thousand nonces. The algo has not been decided on yet. We are also considering PoW/PoS hybrid." - July 23, 2014

For all intents and purposes, it is currently a completely vaporware money grab.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 07:45:51 AM

Anonymint shilling for Ethereum, now hell has frozen over.
"We're aiming for either a turing complete PoW algo, or a randomized hash function every thousand nonces. The algo has not been decided on yet. We are also considering PoW/PoS hybrid." - July 23, 2014
For all intents and purposes, it is currently a completely vaporware money grab.

This is the worst investment one can do.
 - Infinite number of coins during IPO + Way too much BTC invested = impossible to make a profit
 - Impossible technical challenges + distracted devs with new crazy ideas everyday = you'll never see Ethereum
Erik Goff

Activity: 261

https://assetsplit.org/

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 08:08:48 AM

There's always been the chance of governments attempting to outlaw cyrptocurrency outright.  If they don't do that, they might also attempt to kill it with overbearing regulation, or according to Anonymint, confiscation.  People see anonymous coins as being a safeguard to both of those variables, amongst others.  Purely speculative on my part of course.
But the more you try to hide your transactions, the more they keep an eye on you. And also, the government may persuade companies like amazon, dell, etc. not to support cryptos with these feature.

dell already allow btc, we can always convert xmr -> btc, plus you don't need to fear surveillance with anonymous crypto only with bitcoin and clones.
I'm not worried about surveillance. Cryptos are currently in the "acceptance" stage, or in other parts of the world, it's still in the "getting to know" stage.
Isn't it a bit too early to add anon feature?Wouldn't this prevent the government from accepting cryptos since it could help criminals hide their transactions or aid in money laundering?

no, it took over 10 thousand year of human civilization, we finally have the power of true financial freedoom, how can you say you are not worried about surveillance? well I'm not worried too, I just dont like it, I think we must agree that we dont want some random corporation or shadowy individuals prying into aspects of our lives, I really dont care about governments because unless we have the one world gov thing in place, there is always some place that will embrace and allow crypto, if not well, one day the right collapse will happen and a new powerful elite will establish itself in crypto-coins and ensure that it become norm.

Following this discussion i get the idea that the 'killer app' for monero would be a wallet where people see and use bitcoin, but in the background it gets converted to monero on a (decentralized of course) exchange.
Bitcoin and the public blockchain can and should be used by governments and other open organizations, while this monero wallet would be for privacy. also, the wallet would automatically 'mix' bitcoin if taken in/out a monero wallet on payment if it makes a new address every time

⚜⚜⚜  ASSETSPLIT ICO  ⚜⚜⚜
⚡⚡⚡Asset Split is the place to build shares of your valuables⚡⚡⚡
♻ ▬▬▬▬▬  Facebook ♦️️ Twitter ♦️️ Telegram ♦️️ Discord ♦️️ Bitcointalk   ▬▬▬▬▬ ♻
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 08:44:03 AM

Can anybody shed some light on syscoin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=587080.0
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: