Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:42:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: A Complete Guide to P2Pool - Merged Mining (BTC/NMC/DVC/IXC/I0C) plus LTC, Linux  (Read 198662 times)
roy7

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:23:35 PM

Aha, thanks for the explanation. But why the initial payout contained a lot of address? Just because those addresses are in the queue, which is shared between p2pool nodes? By the other words, it is possible that my address will be in this list for something other who decided to bring up the p2pool node?

When any p2pool node finds a block, everyone in the share chain gets paid. Once you find nodes (of your own, or a fee % of the shares your miners find) then you'll be in the share chain for while. You'll be paid on every block found by anyone on p2pool until your shares expire.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Greenny

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:07:39 PM

When any p2pool node finds a block, everyone in the share chain gets paid. Once you find nodes (of your own, or a fee % of the shares your miners find) then you'll be in the share chain for while. You'll be paid on every block found by anyone on p2pool until your shares expire.

Thaks again for the details. The only one thing which is not clear for me step 7:

------
7- Make a one-time donation to all miners of P2Pool simultaneously (including yourself!);

Code:
bitcoind sendmany "" "$(wget -O- http://IP_P2POOL_SERVER:9332/patron_sendmany/5.0)"
------

My wget -O- http://IP_P2POOL_SERVER:9332/patron_sendmany/5.0 returned a lot of addresses with some amount which, theoreticaly, should be payed to those addresses. But my initial setup _has no_ funds.
If I`ll schedule cron to make periodical payments (when only my miners are connected to the node) then, after a while (when my miners mine sufficient amount of BTC) my node will send those sums to the foreign addresses?Huh Why?

Thank in advance and sorry, if my questions are a bit stupid - I just want to understand complete scheme Smiley
roy7

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:21:05 PM

My wget -O- http://IP_P2POOL_SERVER:9332/patron_sendmany/5.0 returned a lot of addresses with some amount which, theoreticaly, should be payed to those addresses. But my initial setup _has no_ funds.
If I`ll schedule cron to make periodical payments (when only my miners are connected to the node) then, after a while (when my miners mine sufficient amount of BTC) my node will send those sums to the foreign addresses?Huh Why?

Thank in advance and sorry, if my questions are a bit stupid - I just want to understand complete scheme Smiley

"Why" is because if you do this, you are making a one-time donation to everyone who is mining on p2pool. Some people used to donate funds to miners when p2pool was young to encourage early adoption. You need to have funds in your wallet first if you want to give them away.
nbphuoc

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:57:15 AM

I setup p2pool successfully, everything goes smoothly, however when I use bfgminer to mine on my pool, my pool raised this exception:

p2pool.util.jsonrpc.NarrowError: -12345 p2pool is not connected to any peers

Do you have any experience in this case?
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 10:15:43 AM

I setup p2pool successfully, everything goes smoothly, however when I use bfgminer to mine on my pool, my pool raised this exception:

How many connections does the web page show

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:02:03 PM

How many connections does the web page show

e.g.
http://<YOUR URL>:9332/static/

Node uptime: 2.2 days Peers: 6 out, 7 in

roy7

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:21:05 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2014, 06:27:54 AM by roy7

Namecoin apparently no longer has a makefile.unix and just wants you to type 'make'. Also requires boost_chrono library.

Took me forever to discover that there is no -lboost_chrono any more on ubuntu. Just remove that line from the Makefile and it links fine. I guess all those functions are built into the basic boost library now.

Content of ~/.namecoin/bitcoin.conf:

Edit the file:
nano ~/.namecoin/bitcoin.conf

Think those should be namecoin.conf?
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:29:28 PM

Namecoin apparently no longer has a makefile.unix and just wants you to type 'make'. Also requires boost_chrono library.

Took me forever to discover that there is no -lboost_chrono any more on ubuntu. Just remove that line from the Makefile and it links fine. I guess all those functions are built into the basic boost library now.

Content of ~/.namecoin/bitcoin.conf:

Edit the file:
nano ~/.namecoin/bitcoin.conf

Think those should be namecoin.conf?

In theory they should have been named namecoin.conf, but namecoind looks for them as above in my experience. Eg namecoind looks for bitcoin.conf.

IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:34:41 AM

That's interesting, mine is namecoin.conf........... Tongue

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:46:58 AM

That is odd.  Every install I've done has been bitcoin.conf. Odd. :-)
IYFTech

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:27:38 AM

Thinking back, I think I might have renamed the conf file myself..... Tongue Everything seems to be working OK though.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 09:40:42 AM

Thinking back, I think I might have renamed the conf file myself..... Tongue Everything seems to be working OK though.

I think only recently has namecoin.conf even been supported

hoquet

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 01:12:40 AM
Last edit: February 18, 2014, 05:25:43 PM by hoquet

Okay, P2pool has been a nightmare to get up and running. There is so much that is left unsaid in the instructions and so much to read between the lines. I also received so many errors during the process, but finally made some progress.

Have you guys wondered why --net dogecoin doesn't work when you try to run the pool for dogecoin?
Did anyone ever mention that the networks for each coin you want to add has to be added to the networks.py file?
Did i miss that somewhere in the 20 pages of threads? Also in the original post, the author magically uses port 9327 to get to the web interface, without any explanation of where that was defined. A port is also used magically for connecting to the P2pool for each coin, but not much info as to what port defined where means what. I finally borrowed a networks.py file from another GIThub project that had most of the coins defined.

I finally have dogecoin running on the pool and I have pointed 2 of my miners onto it. One miner has 1.6Mhs, the other has 2.4Mhs net 4Mhs. I have run the miners and p2pool for 24 hours now.  In my dogecoin wallet, I now have 10,000 coins that I have mined through my own pool! Hooray!

Is there any way to tell how much should be awarded to each worker in the pool? I have looked in a couple of places. I have looked at the log file in /p2pool/data/dogecoin/log

I have also looked on the web-static web front end
127.0.0.1:9555/static
among all of the other pages
     /static/ - Lots of information from shares to graphs to payouts.
    /rate
    /users
    /fee
    /current_payouts
    /patron_sendmany - Gives sendmany outputs for fair donations to P2Pool
    /global_stats
    /local_stats
    /peer_addresses
    /payout_addr
    /recent_blocks
    /uptime
    /web/log - Some different stats collected over the last day

However, I want to know for an awarded amount of coins for a reward, how much of that belongs to a given worker. Why you might ask? Well, 1 worker may belong to a friend or someone that is mining with me. I would like to be able to divide out the payments to the workers.

Also, if you do help answer, please provide a dogecoin address, I'll shoot you some dogecoin Wink

Thanks

**Update**
You can configure P2pool with a specific address, payouts will be made to the address directly. I realize that then the number of shares or amount of work is not relevant. However, I want to use a single address for all payments, then payout to each of the miners. How would I figure out what to give each miner.
Mr. Jinx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:57:36 PM

I'm running p2pool for a while now, but is there a known problem with memory usage?
My pool is running for days with the same hashrate, and max 20 peer connections.
The memory stays at 500MB, but suddenly it consumes more and more (4GB+) without having more peers/hash/users.

Version: 13.4-16-g5ee3172-dirty running on Ubuntu in litecoin mode.

roy7

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:10:39 PM

**Update**
You can configure P2pool with a specific address, payouts will be made to the address directly. I realize that then the number of shares or amount of work is not relevant. However, I want to use a single address for all payments, then payout to each of the miners. How would I figure out what to give each miner.

p2pool isn't intended to operate that way. Remember it is designed around the concept your node is the "miner" and the pool is all of the other nodes combined with yours.

However, the p2pool proxy might help you with what you need. More information is here:

http://proxypool.doge.st/

It operates like a normal real pool, but forwards all work to/from p2pool to benefit from the lower variance.
hoquet

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:31:38 AM

Makes sense.

What I want to be able to do is very similar to the proxy.

I like what they say:

There are many advantages for mining on P2Pool, however as the hash rate of P2Pool network grows, so does share difficulty. Many miners have experienced hour long 'dry spells' where no payouts are received. This is a problem inherent to the design of P2Pool.

Proxy pools solve this problem by creating sub-pools that feed into the P2Pool network, each one managing the payouts for miners under them. This will allow the P2Pool network to scale to many times its current size while ensuring fair payout for all patrons.

The idea is really good and that is what I would like to do is create a sub pool and manage the payouts. There must be some sort of calculation that p2pool uses to determine which miner gets paid what. I just need that same information from p2pool.

Regards
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 01:46:02 PM

Okay, P2pool has been a nightmare to get up and running. There is so much that is left unsaid in the instructions and so much to read between the lines. I also received so many errors during the process, but finally made some progress.

Have you guys wondered why --net dogecoin doesn't work when you try to run the pool for dogecoin?

Can't say that I have, seeing as how the default p2pool client from forrestv's github only has support for bitcoin, litecoin, and terracoin.

Namecoin has allowed namecoin.conf for a long time (18 months+), but bitcoin.conf still works as well.
roy7

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:42:56 PM

The idea is really good and that is what I would like to do is create a sub pool and manage the payouts. There must be some sort of calculation that p2pool uses to determine which miner gets paid what. I just need that same information from p2pool.

p2pool pays using PPLNS, but unlike a normal pool where you submit small bits of work many times per minute and those shares are all stored and added up, p2pool uses a "sharechain" which is the same thing as bitcoin's block chain but at a much lower difficulty. To get paid in p2pool, you need to find a new valid block for the sharechain. Payouts are based on the work you have stored in the sharechain. This way you don't have to trust the other nodes people are running, there is no way for them to cheat the system, since they have to find valid sharechain blocks to get paid at all and that is just as reliable as bitcoint's blockchain itself.

For example, a normal pool might give you diff 128 work and you find 10 shares per minute on average. So every minute you are earning 1280 diff-1 shares of value for the PPLNS window to base your payouts on. But p2pool might have a minimum share difficulty of 128000. So you'd find 1 valid share every 100 minutes on average. Until you find that share, you do not get any payouts because your value in the PPLNS window is 0. Once you get a share, you get paid on all blocks found while your share is still in the window.

What you want to do requires the proxy system I linked before or some custom solution you come up with. The closest you could get using p2pool's own info would be to look at the pseudo share difficulty graphs for the miners (ie: their hash rate history) and try to do payments based off that somehow, if you don't want the proxy to store all of the tiny shares directly.
IYFTech

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:39:55 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2014, 07:02:16 PM by IYFTech

Is there a definitive list anywhere of what coins can be merge mined together with the ports they use on p2pool?

I see so many conflicting posts about what ports to use it's not funny.... Tongue I recently added Huntercoin to my node, but there's a crash glitch with the daemon at present, & I've no idea what port to use with it.

Thanks.

Edit:

Or, to put it another way, would anybody like to share what ports they are using with IXC, I0C, DVC, GRP, HUC, NMC & any other coin they are merge mining?

Thanks again  Grin

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 07:18:55 AM

Is there a definitive list anywhere of what coins can be merge mined together with the ports they use on p2pool?

I see so many conflicting posts about what ports to use it's not funny.... Tongue I recently added Huntercoin to my node, but there's a crash glitch with the daemon at present, & I've no idea what port to use with it.

Thanks.

Edit:

Or, to put it another way, would anybody like to share what ports they are using with IXC, I0C, DVC, GRP, HUC, NMC & any other coin they are merge mining?

Thanks again  Grin

--merged http://nmcuser:jj@127.0.0.1:7332/ --merged http://ixcuser:jj@127.0.0.1:7342/ --merged http://dvcuser:jj@127.0.0.1:7362/ --merged http://i0cuser:jj@127.0.0.1:7382/

gotta add GRP
whats HUC

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: