Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:05:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 [854] 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 ... 1628 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XC][XCurrency] Decentralised Trustless Privacy Platform / Encrypted XChat / Pos  (Read 1483644 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Queeq

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:42:32 AM

What I meant by some party owning 99% of nodes is not double-spend attacks or whatever of that nature, but the ability to de-anonymise transactions routed only through the nodes of this party. As far as I understand nodes are trustless while tx goes through the nodes owned by different people. If I manage to have transactions routing and mixing by my nodes only I can rewind all the operations as I have all the necessary information about those transactions, giving me source and destination addresses and likely some additional statistics. It won't need any additional resources from my side, just being able to run a lot of nodes with empty wallets. They don't consume much resources and it must be possible to run thousands of them on several powerful servers (or even one server) which is totally acceptable for the interested party.

Even then a node owner will have no way of identifying which fragments belong to who, or how much a given party was actually paid.

A node owner won't be able to tell which fragments comprise a given transaction and which fragments are part of a different transaction.

If every node is forwarding transactions trustlessly, the scenario is pretty sweet really.

I mean:

1) Node A forwards a fragment to node B. Does this mean that node B is the end-receipient of a transaction, or is node B just forwarding it on further? You can't tell.

2) Node A receives a payment from someone. Node A also forwards some fragments soon afterwards. How do you tell whether the fragments are related to the payment received or not? You can't. There's perfect privacy there.

So is it something like I2P forwards traffic?
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CrazyLeoW

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

XC

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:44:52 AM

What I meant by some party owning 99% of nodes is not double-spend attacks or whatever of that nature, but the ability to de-anonymise transactions routed only through the nodes of this party. As far as I understand nodes are trustless while tx goes through the nodes owned by different people. If I manage to have transactions routing and mixing by my nodes only I can rewind all the operations as I have all the necessary information about those transactions, giving me source and destination addresses and likely some additional statistics. It won't need any additional resources from my side, just being able to run a lot of nodes with empty wallets. They don't consume much resources and it must be possible to run thousands of them on several powerful servers (or even one server) which is totally acceptable for the interested party.

But still no direct link on the block chain, right? the party could only guess it but no evidence to support the guessed result.
Just like chaeplin's conjecture. make nonsense.

Yes you'd have to trust the malicious actor's testimony. The blockchain would not lend any support to it.

In our society, we know that: He who has a mind to beat his dog will easily find his stick.
But in crypto world, only blockchain speaks.

xchat: XNvUSCdvZgZcXsYd3Gs91w8tKQmeMKHS9G
Pubkey: 2Ax9bYXwifbqyxsmC9pbhfGyPoLJNf3wdtQ7dFdzKK1ZX
Boyer

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:45:50 AM

Those number doesn’t necessarily mean that there are more users, it only means there are more address holds coin now. Maybe I'm missing something here ? Can somebody explain what those addresses really mean ?

You're right, those addresses don't mean much. I don't take rich lists seriously.

If I held a very large amount of XC I'd definitely not keep it at one address, let alone have people know that address.

I couldn't agree more, the rich list is not to be trusted. People create a lot of addresses to be able to stake better etc. I think someone owns a lot of XC. Time will tell if we are going for another run. I believe that XC's value will increase in 1 month.
synechist
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

To commodify ethicality is to ethicise the market

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 10:53:06 AM

Even then a node owner will have no way of identifying which fragments belong to who, or how much a given party was actually paid.

A node owner won't be able to tell which fragments comprise a given transaction and which fragments are part of a different transaction.

If every node is forwarding transactions trustlessly, the scenario is pretty sweet really.

I mean:

1) Node A forwards a fragment to node B. Does this mean that node B is the end-receipient of a transaction, or is node B just forwarding it on further? You can't tell.

2) Node A receives a payment from someone. Node A also forwards some fragments soon afterwards. How do you tell whether the fragments are related to the payment received or not? You can't. There's perfect privacy there.

It doesn't look like it. Not that I can claim to know much about I2P...

It's session-based m-of-m multisig with multiple redundant connections. If that's like I2P, let me know. :-)

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
prospect

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:07:52 AM

I mean:

It's session-based m-of-m multisig with multiple redundant connections. If that's like I2P, let me know. :-)

Answering questions, like a boss.
CrazyLeoW

Activity: 126

XC

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:08:00 AM

I mean:

redundant connection, is it similar to Link Aggregation Control Protocol(LACP)?
I think Dan is very familiar with LACP, as a network expert. LOL

xchat: XNvUSCdvZgZcXsYd3Gs91w8tKQmeMKHS9G
Pubkey: 2Ax9bYXwifbqyxsmC9pbhfGyPoLJNf3wdtQ7dFdzKK1ZX
milkyway

Activity: 103

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:20:16 AM

hi guys,

sorry for a noob question, since im not a technical guy and just an investor. I would like to stake my coins with MAC wallet. it seems that i was not able to locate the wallet.dat file since i want to copy that to a thumdrive to back it up. how would i locate it? thank you Smiley and is the wallet version on the xc official website for MAC right? thanks again.

>>> multiwallet | POS 5% Annual [Anon NanoWallet™ technology] | encrypted communication | Inwallet trading <<<
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:21:44 AM

I mean:

redundant connection, is it similar to Link Aggregation Control Protocol(LACP)?
I think Dan is very familiar with LACP, as a network expert. LOL

Yes, at a basic level. Of course it's not physical connections that are established here though, and it's not about increasing throughput either.

Making a payment initiates a session whereby encrypted connections are set up between as many participating Xnodes as needed. Several of these connections are redundant so that if one node fails, others can take on the work.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:25:09 AM

hi guys,

sorry for a noob question, since im not a technical guy and just an investor. I would like to stake my coins with MAC wallet. it seems that i was not able to locate the wallet.dat file since i want to copy that to a thumdrive to back it up. how would i locate it? thank you Smiley and is the wallet version on the xc official website for MAC right? thanks again.

Hey milkyway

Yes, use the app version on the website. It's the latest for Mac.

You should find the wallet.dat file in /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/XCurrency

I'm not a Mac user so if this is incorrect then hit reply.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:25:56 AM

If the node receives a payment, it receives a payment (i.e. coins). If the node is "forwarding fragments", it's receiving a signature to sign a tx with. Right?
The-C-Word

Activity: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:29:13 AM

Man, whoever called out the mystery whale was dead on. Really strange activity the last few hours.

Same stuff that's been happening when we were hovering between 120-150k a few weeks ago.

Kind of pisses me off tbh lol, using the stability of the coin to his own ends.
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:44:24 AM

If the node receives a payment, it receives a payment (i.e. coins). If the node is "forwarding fragments", it's receiving a signature to sign a tx with. Right?

I've asked the devs to clarify this point because I'm not certain that what I'm about to say is correct, but here's how I understand it:

- nodes sign transactions rather than directly receiving a coin

- they sign with different private keys to the original sender's private key

- this means that several addresses are associated with a given fragment, making it impossible to tell which address the fragment originates from.

- but nodes also mix transaction fragments, so that outgoing sigs are from different addresses to the address the tx is received on, breaking any link between sender and receiver.

If I hear from the devs that this isn't accurate then I'll let you know asap.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:46:19 AM

Man, whoever called out the mystery whale was dead on. Really strange activity the last few hours.

Same stuff that's been happening when we were hovering between 120-150k a few weeks ago.

Yeah. It's weird behaviour. The dumping is right after we release good news, which is the point at which the price is most likely to shoot upwards.

Remember when we announced Rob Kremers? Biggest news ever. Someone dumped about 10K.

So someone's clearly interested in keeping the price down.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
Mwalshe89

Activity: 233

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:50:46 AM

Yeah. It's weird behaviour. The dumping is right after we release good news, which is the point at which the price is most likely to shoot upwards.

Remember when we announced Rob Kremers? Biggest news ever. Someone dumped about 10K.

No offence to rob, but adding a media planner/buyer to the team isnt even on my top ten list of things that have been great about this coin. I know allot of media planners and buyers and honestly I don't see where they fit in a project like this. I personally think adding him last as the big announcement was a major anti climax, especially for those who understand what media planning and buying is.
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:54:18 AM

No offence to rob, but adding a media planner/buyer to the team isnt even on my top ten list of things that have been great about this coin. I know allot of media planners and buyers and honestly I don't see where they fit in a project like this.

Adding a person with a Rob's background is huge because:

- almost all Cryptocurrencies are run by crypto-geeks and coders and marketed accordingly.

- XC is for the mainstream and thus we need people who understand how to market to the mainstream.

- without quality marketing a coin will never make it to the mainstream.

So adding Rob Kremers is hugely important to XC's future. It's a major score, and the community reacted as such.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
milkyway

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:54:32 AM

hi guys,

Hey milkyway

You should find the wallet.dat file in /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/XCurrency

Thank you Wink <3 appreciate it! so i just have to unlock my wallet and let it stake right? despite my labtop being off. i just have to open it some times?

>>> multiwallet | POS 5% Annual [Anon NanoWallet™ technology] | encrypted communication | Inwallet trading <<<
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:57:51 AM

hi guys,

Hey milkyway

Thank you Wink <3 appreciate it! so i just have to unlock my wallet and let it stake right? despite my labtop being off. i just have to open it some times?

Sure. :-) Glad it worked out.

Yes, unlock your wallet. But unlock it for staking only, so that your coins are protected.

To collect interest you'll only need to unlock your wallet every few days. You can ignore it otherwise.

Ideally use coin control to allocate 50 - 500 XC to separate addresses. This makes payouts more regular.

P.S. If you haven't already done this, check out the wallet how-to for info.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
Mwalshe89

Activity: 233

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 12:02:03 PM

No offence to rob, but adding a media planner/buyer to the team isnt even on my top ten list of things that have been great about this coin. I know allot of media planners and buyers and honestly I don't see where they fit in a project like this.

Adding a person with a Rob's background is huge because:

- almost all Cryptocurrencies are run by crypto-geeks and coders and marketed accordingly.

- XC is for the mainstream and thus we need people who understand how to market to the mainstream.

- without quality marketing a coin will never make it to the mainstream.

So adding Rob Kremers is hugely important to XC's future. It's a major score, and the community reacted as such.

Media planners and buyers focus on paid media campaigns. A typical exposure campaign starts at $10,000 minimum. Even if he goes through an online RTB platform I don't see how he is going to target well enough to really get the XC story across in a cost effective way, and even if he could, paid advertising is something big companies do with multi million dollar budgets, XC is still asking people for donations. If we're going to waste all those donations on paid media instead of going through PR agencies like we are now, then me, like the people I know who do robs job, think its a massive waste of money.

Basicly, we don't have the money for it. We're not going to get a good cost per engagement ratio. This isn't coming from me, this is coming from ex colleagues of mine who work with brands such as Microsoft, MasterCard, Nike, Exxon mobile, and have extremely tight relationships technology side with companies like google and facebook.

Don't get me wrong, I love this project, but I don't think Dan understands marketing projects like this if he is looking for media planners and buyers when we don't have a budget.

Seriously, anyone in the industry would tell you this is a serious waste of money..
milkyway

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 12:04:04 PM

hi guys,

Hey milkyway

Sure. :-) Glad it worked out.

Yes, unlock your wallet. But unlock it for staking only, so that your coins are protected.

To collect interest you'll only need to unlock your wallet every few days. You can ignore it otherwise.

Ideally use coin control to allocate 50 - 500 XC to separate addresses. This makes payouts more regular.

P.S. If you haven't already done this, check out the wallet how-to for info.

Love you Wink

JakeThePanda

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 12:04:48 PM

So many pages.  Can someone give me Cliff Notes for the last couple of days?
Pages: « 1 ... 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 [854] 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 ... 1628 »
  Print  

Jump to: