Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:30:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Approves Bitcoin Wallets  (Read 9439 times)
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:28:43 PM

I cannot in any way understand why anyone gives a flying fuck about what that dying dinosaur of a walled garden does. With the way they operate as a company they ought to be completely irrelevant in this world  Angry

They are not innovative, but they're not a dying dinosaur. Apple and their products are still very much relevant whether you like it or not. They provide an easy and accessible product for the masses. Not everyone cares about tech like we do.

Some people just want a Toyota.

I only use an iPhone because i got it for free, but i absolutely hate apple.

Apple is just extremely restrictive with their policies. It is my phone, let me decide what i do with it. I can't believe people pay insanely high prices for a phone and than have apple tell them what they can or can't do.

Bibop

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:36:51 PM

Do not care about the reason.
This is great news!

open trading options for large piece of the market
adamselene

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:40:09 PM

I only use an iPhone because i got it for free, but i absolutely hate apple.

Apple is just extremely restrictive with their policies. It is my phone, let me decide what i do with it. I can't believe people pay insanely high prices for a phone and than have apple tell them what they can or can't do.

Apple is restrictive with their ecosystem because that provides a certain curated user experience that their customers want.

It's like moving into a neighborhood with a homeowners association and complaining that you can't paint a giant purple dick on your garage door..
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:43:18 PM

Apple is restrictive with their ecosystem because that provides a certain curated user experience that their customers want.

That's a very polite way of putting it. They could easily give the same user experience AND be open at the same time. But they have chosen the same path as MS did in the 90's - vendor lock-in.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:57:31 PM

Whether or not you like Apple, I think it is interesting to think of Bitcoin as the disruptive technology that it is and how much of a pain in the Azz it would have been for Apple to continue with this ban for a long time. I mean Bitcoin is getting larger and larger and yet "Not on the IPad or IPhone." That reaches a point of negative returns.

Disruption happens in ways that are hard to see coming. After all a Black Swan is likely to have Black Swan babies. The Protocol is out.
It is adopted because you have to adopt it. It saves you money and then in a few years it makes you obsolete.
And who knows the affect the technology has on Apple.

Disrupt Bitcoin, disrupt...

Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
adamselene

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:57:42 PM

That's a very polite way of putting it. They could easily give the same user experience AND be ope at the same time. But they have chosen the same path as MS did in the 90's - vendor lock-in.

They can't though. Being open is the antithesis of a closed ecosystem. They put tennis balls on all the sharp corners so their customers don't hurt themselves. What they have is ideal for users who like that sort of thing, why change it?

I will never own an iOS device (unless its for testing) so it doesn't matter to me.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:10:31 PM

I am just glad i can finally have a wallet on my iPhone. A malware free system is the only option for having a mobile wallet.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 10:11:12 PM

The quoted paragraph did not say bitcoin specifically, it said "approved virtual currencies".

Bitcoin will not be approved if Apple has its own VC patent.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
adamselene

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:17:45 PM

I am just glad i can finally have a wallet on my iPhone. A malware free system is the only option for having a mobile wallet.

Android has no "malware problem". You really only have a malware problem if you make a habit out of sideloading apps from untrusted sources (e.g. not from the Play Store) and/or are rooted, both of which are for more advanced users.

And iOS has malware too.
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 10:21:04 PM

This is definitely a step in the right direction.
Never used iphone myself, much prefer Samsung phones. This could be the train to ATH.

Wonder how many wallets are waiting to launch on the app store at this moment?
bananaControl

Activity: 322

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:21:15 PM

That's a very polite way of putting it. They could easily give the same user experience AND be ope at the same time. But they have chosen the same path as MS did in the 90's - vendor lock-in.

They can't though. Being open is the antithesis of a closed ecosystem. They put tennis balls on all the sharp corners so their customers don't hurt themselves. What they have is ideal for users who like that sort of thing, why change it?

I will never own an iOS device (unless its for testing) so it doesn't matter to me.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you and would love a deeper discussion, but this is hardly the place.

The quoted paragraph did not say bitcoin specifically, it said "approved virtual currencies".

Yeah, this could be a concern. Maybe Apple is the new China.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:24:42 PM

It didn't say "Apple approved" if you want to get technical about it.
Come on, there were US Senate Hearings, the IRS has commented as well as other agencies, companies all over the world are accepting it, Wall Street is in on it, etc. and you think this is not in line with their definition?

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 10:29:42 PM

Can anybody with an Iphone actually confirm that any previously banned Bitcoin apps are now working?

cjgames.com
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:32:29 PM

Can anybody with an Iphone actually confirm that any previously banned Bitcoin apps are now working?

they'll have to be resubmitted
not sure how long that takes to get approved

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
adamselene

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:36:47 PM

I will have to respectfully disagree with you and would love a deeper discussion, but this is hardly the place.

In that case, let's agree to disagree  Smiley

they'll have to be resubmitted
not sure how long that takes to get approved

Approval takes about a week or so from what I remember. If you've already submitted before, might take less.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:50:09 PM

anyone who still uses Apple after all that Bolshevist crap, needs brain surgery  Angry

Anyone who attacks a group of people for their choice of technology provider, without knowing the uses to which that group of people are putting that technology, is an over-opinionated, unthinking, irrational ignoramus.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 11:00:08 PM

Android has no "malware problem". You really only have a malware problem if you make a habit out of sideloading apps from untrusted sources (e.g. not from the Play Store) and/or are rooted, both of which are for more advanced users.

And iOS has malware too.

That is simply not backed up by reality.  THOUSANDS of malware apps are in the genuine Android market while almost none are in the genuine Apple app store.  This is an issue for regular users not just people who rooted their phone. 

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/overview-android-malware-analysis/

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:06:45 PM

Great news.
(Must) do so in compliance with all state and federal laws for the territories in which the app functions...
^^^This could cause issues since it is often difficult to stay "compliance with ALL state and federal laws".
I know it's just a standard legal disclaimer, but they are still able to mess with an app any time they want to.
Overall, it's good to see Apple allowing most BTC apps.  Smiley

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:18:04 PM

And iOS has malware too.

That simply isn't true. The IOS apps are pre-screened for malware before being allowed in the store.

There are a lot of examples of malware that people got from the android app stores.

I am much more comfortable with a bit coin sitting in a closed ecosystem.

Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:24:15 PM

I still have the blockchain app on my old iphone 4 do they not work anymore?

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████