Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:51:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Approves Bitcoin Wallets  (Read 9438 times)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 07:12:48 PM

Godwin's Law has been violated.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:15:21 PM

Godwin's Law has been violated.

You mean, it was proven to be correct.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:17:43 PM

Not if the closed propertarian version wins. One company controlling the most widely used crypto currency would be a nightmare of proportions for everyone who cares about freedom and equal rights and opportunities for everyone. Sadly, most people don't give a shit, so maybe we deserve just that.
It needs a lot of support from the people, bitcoin has that support for various reasons.

Ordinary people know and trust (god knows why!) Apple as a company and brand, to them Bitcoin is noting more than a geeky pyramid scheme, so who would they choose you think?

A propriatary version may just be a pump and dump scheme in the end, as we see with many alt coins.

Apple would not profit from that, so no.

Apple will make a coin where mining hardware is build into all of their products (Or maybe just the iBeacon thingy or POS units) and then they will collect the mining fees themselves. They learned how to make money by being the middleman from iTunes and the sales of music. They will basically do the same thing here.

My ex was an apple fan-girl(?) and even though I tried with all the logic in the world to explain to her why monopoly on infrastructure is a bad thing, she wouldn't listen. Ordinary people just don't give a flying fuck about openness and the importance of real free competition.

This is actually an interesting thought, and while I have never thought of it until now, it seems very feasible that Apple would do something like this.   Wouldn't you, if it were your company?

I thought the same thing (interesting thought) at first, but Apple will need permission before using your electricity, CPU/Chip, internet, etc. It might not be as easy as it seems. Now, if they can pay out coins for using your rig or offer other compensation, then they might have something. But now we are back to centralized "money". And be sure, there will be billions of ICoins (what a sick though, almost makes me want to Ipuke in the Itoilet.)

IAS

This is why I think that they might only be putting the mining hardware into the iBeacon hardware thingy or POS units.

It is a very interesting idea. Basically, an IMiner! Man, this is a bit scary actually, but still centralized. I mean they could offer or tie it to their stock even.
An then others would try to copy their miners (e.g. China) and then mine the coins. Jailbreaking your IMiner. Exciting!

Just throwing around ideas you can see Crypo's are going to really disrupt things.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:20:23 PM

It is a very interesting idea. Basically, an IMiner! Man, this is a bit scary actually, but still centralized. I mean they could offer or tie it to their stock even.
An then others would try to copy their miners (e.g. China) and then mine the coins. Jailbreaking your IMiner. Exciting!

Just throwing around ideas you can see Crypo's are going to really disrupt things.

IAS

Indeed and there will be many big battles Smiley
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:36:50 PM

It is really simple. If you like Apple's products you buy them. If you don't like them you don't buy them. Personally I like things that just work. I even like the "walled garden." It makes me feel more secure and it is nearly impossible to get malware from apps.

More to the point, to draw some conclusion about someone's character or level of intelligence because of their choice in technology is a bit weird. I think those that do that should look inward when they want to question the character and intelligence of people simply because they make a different choice. 

tatu

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:40:57 PM

It is really simple. If you like Apple's products you buy them. If you don't like them you don't buy them.

Both sides are free to comment and share their opinion though.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:44:20 PM

It is really simple. If you like Apple's products you buy them. If you don't like them you don't buy them.

I have no problem with opinions. Some people tend to resort to insults and this weird sense of superiority when others make different decisions than them. That is where I have an issue.

nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:49:41 PM

I dont like Apple to much but that is great news for bitcoin.
Everyone of my friends almost has a Iphone so having a wallet on that is very important.
Its only gonna get more accepted now, when every phone has apps for bitcoin payments.
tatu

Activity: 138

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:52:03 PM

I have no problem with opinions. Some people tend to resort to insults and this weird sense of superiority when others make different decisions than them. That is where I have an issue.

Well we cant do anything about them but hopefully they will learn how to conduct themselves other time.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:53:11 PM

I dont like Apple to much but that is great news for bitcoin.
Everyone of my friends almost has a Iphone so having a wallet on that is very important.
Its only gonna get more accepted now, when every phone has apps for bitcoin payments.

Yes. This is more about market share for bit coin than an apple vs android thing.

btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:53:46 PM

Well we cant do anything about them but hopefully they will learn how to conduct themselves other time.
While I do think this is a problem, I think the major one is how off-topic the discussion has gone. Sure, some may relate these discussions back to bitcoin, but a few of the posts actually have absolutely nothing to do and are just a fight between Android and iOS.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Krang

Activity: 167

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:54:22 PM

So was there any explanation from apple as to why they even removed them in the first place?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 09:03:00 PM

Where  Word documents default encrypted or protected in any way?  Nope.  Could you export to common formats?  Yes.

It wasn't an open format and it wasn't documented correctly, making it impossible to make a text-program that could open and save word documents 100% correctly. There was always something that was broken... A bit of the same tactic they used in their implementation of CSS and HTML in IE. To the end user MS products always just seemed to work a little better than anything else, though of course we know that the real reason was of a different nature than just better quality.

And yes, you could save in other formats, but again, Word just magically seemed to be better at reading the other formats as well.

There are so many things wrong with what you said there. 

Then please enlighten me.

You are comparing Microsoft Word to a walled garden.

Nothing Microsoft did with Word back then was unusual.  Word is not going to use an 'open' format back then because they were not ready.  Everyone used their own format back then.

If other programs could not open Word that was their fault not Microsoft.  Fonts and formatting were not as standard as they are today and WordPerfect and others had considerable market share.

nxthing

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 09:08:24 AM

I cannot in any way understand why anyone gives a flying fuck about what that dying dinosaur of a walled garden does. With the way they operate as a company they ought to be completely irrelevant in this world  Angry

They are not innovative, but they're not a dying dinosaur. Apple and their products are still very much relevant whether you like it or not. They provide an easy and accessible product for the masses. Not everyone cares about tech like we do.

Some people just want a Toyota.

Apple's influence among mobile users all over the world is far-reaching, Nobody can underetimate the power at apple's asernal!
bbeagle

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:22:13 PM

You are comparing Microsoft Word to a walled garden.

Nothing Microsoft did with Word back then was unusual.  Word is not going to use an 'open' format back then because they were not ready.  Everyone used their own format back then.

If other programs could not open Word that was their fault not Microsoft.  Fonts and formatting were not as standard as they are today and WordPerfect and others had considerable market share.

You've got that exactly right, Littleshop.

Back when word processors were in their infancy, there was no 'standard' file format. There wasn't even a thought at a 'standard', because you couldn't make a standard when there were so many unknowns about what next thing to add to your program. Tables? Images? Different fonts? When the full set of features became more stable, only THEN did a standard make sense, and only THEN to the losers of the market share battle.

Additionally, what would Microsoft gain by making their word processor 'Word Perfect compatible'? Nothing. They would be stuck waiting for Word Perfect to create the next new feature before Microsoft Word could have it. Microsoft Word would always be one step behind the competition - why buy it? The best way was for Microsoft Word to read existing Word Perfect documents, then be able to save them as Word documents - allowing for Microsoft Word to be ahead of Word Perfect. That's how the market worked back then.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:56:52 PM

Yeah, Microsoft never used any dirty tricks what so ever to gain and keep monopolies, they did everything they could to always play on a level playing field. And all the big antitrust cases against them around the world was just caused by jealousy for their superior quality products. "Just bring on the fair competition" you could hear them scream from the rooftop in Redmond. Exactly like Apple today.

In case you didn't notice Littleshop, you are completely moving focus away from the fucking point here! Swap "walled garden" with "vendor lock-in", there happy now? They were still fucking playing dirty tricks using their 99.whatever% market share as a way to crippling competition. And they did that pretty much in all of their fields.
TYT

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:26:39 PM

Approved them for thier own use perhaps? Maybe theyre getting ready to launch their own payment system?
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:39:52 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/278hbm/coinjar_with_sending_function_enabled_on_ios/

^ Updated CoinJar already working on iOS in various territories.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:46:03 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/278hbm/coinjar_with_sending_function_enabled_on_ios/

^ Updated CoinJar already working on iOS in various territories.

Positively surprised indeed! Let's hope they don't go and do a China later on Smiley
ClutchThese

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:10:57 PM

Its so cute watching the people who are "too cool for Apple" act unimpressed.

Go back 12 months and think how excited you would be if Apple even *acknowledged* Bitcoin existed.

This is huge news.

i couldn't agree more! this is going to be amazing. We've already seen the short term rise in BTC, lets hold on because this rocket is fueled!

Signature for Rent - PM if Interested
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: