Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:00:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PRICE REDUCED] DPS-2000BB 2000W Server PSU Interface Board  (Read 61986 times)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 11:41:13 PM

We'll have actual documentation posted for that board specific one of these days. We're just much fonder of building things than doing paperwork.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 01:00:44 PM

so the 2kw supply has no fan and must be external? any links?

also how do you make 5v? the psu seems to not make much.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 01:09:22 PM

The PSU has no fans. Our board has an integrated 4-wire fan controller with two linked headers and full internal/external PWM control (from about 5% to 100% speed) so you can strap high-quality server fans to your PSU and not require any external stuff to regulate them.

5V is provided by an added 5V 2A buck regulator powered from the 12V output, same as on our 750W boards.

Sorry I didn't post anything regarding updates on the preorder. We're trying to work out a deal that'll get us up to a small run of CS boards that'll be made available, but Mystery Customer #2 has been foot-dragging for about a week and a half. We're scheming right now on the best way to move forward with smaller batches if we have to (which will mean a higher per-unit cost) to meet expected deadlines.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 01:11:45 PM

Sweet well I skipped this for my Neptune but I want a good power set-up for the future, I even got 240v installed at 30a so I'll want 4 boards later on to get 4 psus. Balance out 6kw

Are you doing the pwm? What's your temperature curve?

I wonder if 2a is enough for the knc control box

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 01:31:05 PM

PWM is manually controlled by a potentiometer, or controlled externally with a voltage signal on the FAN pin like the 750W boards. To do temperature throttling would require an external thermostat circuit routing a control voltage into the board.

The buck IC is actually rated for 3A and beefing up the heatsinking on it shouldn't have a problem achieving that, but "officially" we rated the circuit for 2A. If I remember right from Block Erupter Overclock threads (which our buck driver is in the same family as the one used on the USB BE) there's another IC with the same pinout and 5A handling. You'd probably want to beef up the output capacitor as well if you expect to pull that kind of current, but it should be possible for a DIYer with basic surface-mount capability.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 01:47:26 PM

Thanks I guess buying a $20 regular psu for 5v ready for molex would be better and get 20a

So the fan has a knob, what should we run them at? Probably according to ambient in our location?

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 02:04:20 PM

I don't really even worry and just run fans at full blast because I don't care about the noise. But setting them at some value and checking the heat of the PSU body and exhaust air, then iteratively adjusting to a working value that doesn't bother you, would probably work. I don't really have a "this PWM value works for this ambient temperature" graph handy because it depends entirely on fan size, placement and efficiency, as well as ambient temperature and power draw.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 02:30:34 PM

Cool if you get a chance some links to fans. Must they be pwm? Or can you do it via voltage too?

These look nice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181040

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 02:35:14 PM

Two-wire and three-wire fans will socket onto 4-wire fan headers but won't have speed control. I could have wired up an inline transistor to toggle the 12V line on and off but that puts artificial restraints on your fan choice and isn't a great way to do it anyway. I mean pulsed power (or DC-adjusted power) is okay for straight DC motors but kinda sucks for brushless DC. Most of the actual good fans are 4-wire anyway so that's what we support.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 09:04:47 PM

So, update. Large Potential Customers are dragging feet so we got fed up making everyone in the world wait and we're gonna do what we can to start without them. We're looking at assembling a batch of a couple hundred boards to be delivered in about 4 weeks. We're going to be doing Non-Current-Sense boards only, because we haven't had enough interest to merit current-sense boards (economy of scale and whatnot, you understand). We'll be gathering up funds for the next couple days and starting to place orders probably on Friday for PCBs. This'll probably be a 3-week turnaround so we should start shipping boards within 4 weeks to preorder customers.

Anyone that has requested information on preorders but haven't yet been able to give us money, it's probably because I still sorta hate preorders and wasn't terribly motivated to take money from people with no real guarantee of a delivery timeline (because of LPCs and whatnot). But we now have a fixed plan and we're gonna start rolling with it. We won't be offering CS boards at this time, but we will be gearing up for NCS boards and both lengths of cables in the very short term. I'll do my best today to catch up with everyone interested in preorders, and anyone else I may have overlooked or who was worried about delivery timelines, we Will Be (barring an act of God) shipping DPS-2000BB boards before the end of July.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 07:58:30 PM

PCBs have been ordered. If we don't get a couple more orders (or some other magic happens) in the next two weeks it's gonna be tight to get the batch done up, but we always deliver on our word. We figure at this point it's better to trust the community that's been telling us for months it wants these boards, than to sit around and wait for someone to come along and just hand us a bunch of money.

So we ordered the PCBs for the first big batch. About 35 are already spoken for, which is a really good start, but more orders wouldn't hurt. We expect to start delivering on July 25th.

We're also prototyping a little board which'll pull from a 6-pin cable and convert to an ATX 24-pin (with 2-3A capacity on 5V and 3V3), even with the ability to wire it up so the ATX_ON signal will kick on our PSU. That'll allow folks to use these DPS-2000BB natively in things which previously required bigarse ATX supplies for blades and controllers. One DPS-2000BB and two of those little boards could replace a pair of 1200W ATX supplies in miners. We'll have some prototypes probably early next week, they're likely to cost around $15 each and would work just as well on the D750 boards.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 09:51:29 PM

Sweet i think this is a impulse item, we dont know what kind of psu we need until very late so unless boards are ready to ship we just cant use you
Having stock will let you sell tons

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:13:42 PM

Having stock is sorta dependent on being able to get enough of the rest of the parts to build them. Right now I can only guarantee that we'll be able to build enough for the current preorders.

bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 11:28:15 PM

If anyone needs the PSUs for these, we will be able to sell them for 45+ shipping, have about ~50 we can sell
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 02:45:59 AM

What do you guys think... 3 or 4 S3 on one of these? 240v feed.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 02:53:11 AM

They'd probably do 5 or 6 without issue. We had four S1 and a pair of custom-hot Cubes on one, pulling just about 2500W for a solid week without even blinking. How many depends on what they look like overclocked, but if the stock numbers on Bitmain's website are to be believed, this thing could probably handle 7 at the top end.

nexus99
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:04:24 AM

They'd probably do 5 or 6 without issue. We had four S1 and a pair of custom-hot Cubes on one, pulling just about 2500W for a solid week without even blinking. How many depends on what they look like overclocked, but if the stock numbers on Bitmain's website are to be believed, this thing could probably handle 7 at the top end.

That is perfect. I am thinking of stacking them 3 high and putting one of these in the middle for power. That will be OUTSTANDING.
Purchase email sent.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:12:58 AM

That's why we're gonna start stocking the 36" cables, to help power distribution setups just like that.

PCBs should be here on or before the 23rd, and we've got our sources pretty well arranged for the rest of the parts so there should be no delays getting the first batch preorders out. As always, preorders are appreciated because it'll help us get materials in larger quantities, which means faster more reliable turnaround for manufacturing and also building up standing stock for new orders. Right now I can only guarantee that preorders will be fulfilled; we haven't met the threshold yet to be able to complete the entire first batch. I don't like having to do it that way, but parts aren't free and we're a small outfit with not a lot of capital.

nexus99
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:23:02 AM

I've got 2 30A 240v circuits in the basement that I plan to stack with ~ 24 S3 units over the next handful of months.

These guys will make power a much easier proposition.

Code:
              S3       S3     S3       S3
30A#1 ........S3  IBM  S3     S3  IBM  S3........30A#1

30A#2 ........S3  IBM  S3     S3  IBM  S3........30A#2

That will be a simple, sweet setup.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:30:21 AM

Indeed.

Additionally, anyone emailing about preorders, if you don't receive a response in the next day or so it's probably because for some stupid friggin' reason our server's been blacklisted (I think by Microshaft this time) and your host isn't taking our messages. Used to be an issue every time DNS updated, but we're on a static IP now so I don't know what they're complaining about this time.
If you're worried about a pending order status or anything, send me a PM and I'll let you know the score.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: