Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:47:18 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra Hardware Support **Unofficial  (Read 56761 times)
Mikhail UA

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 09:55:25 PM

Have you attempted swapping the power supplies? Orange light means either an AC issue (problem with power supply itself) or DC issue (usually a short in the board). Read back a couple pages for my posts on this. I provide instructions for how to handle both scenarios. In your case because the board lights up it's probably an AC issue which means you need to replace the faulting power supply.

I swapped power supplies. The result of the former. Concluded that the problem in the board.
I have bad English. I find it hard to translate everything, could you provide a link to their posts?
altcointalk14

Activity: 751
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 03:16:50 AM

Was anyone ever able to decompile the binary firmware for these boards?

Or does anyone have the source code for the firmware? (same thing)

If so, I would pay something for it. 

Thanks!

Are you interested in the image of the firmware?

We all have the *.dfu files.

I want the decompiled source code.  I believe there are some who have it but are quiet no matter how much $BTC is offered.
Cefalu

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 07:45:37 AM

Someone else might be able to correct me, but a car battery while billed out as 12V is usually more like 13v+

Seems high risk to connect to your board. Just my $.02

That's only when charging. Nominal voltage on SLA cells is between 2 and 2.15 volts fully charged. Generally I read around 12.2 on a battery that's been sitting for a few hours. My instructions say to always test voltage first and don't do it while the car is running because then you are correct. Charging voltage is usually around 13.5.

Carman - I have a microscope, going to go over that board I connected to the battery in the next day or so, have been occupied. Will also measure voltage on battery,
car WAS off at the time. I'm sure its close to 12V tho, so will gather that info just for the record.
carman336

Activity: 26

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:57:21 PM

Carman - I have a microscope, going to go over that board I connected to the battery in the next day or so, have been occupied. Will also measure voltage on battery,
car WAS off at the time. I'm sure its close to 12V tho, so will gather that info just for the record.

Sounds good. I'm sure it's fine. Generally there's a fair bit of play in the allowable input voltage and the chip voltage is regulated internally on the board. I don't recall if you did this already but when you attach it back to the terraminer power supply does it still crap out the same way?
MidwestMiner

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 09:07:24 PM

Does anyone have a link to the latest CoinTerra firmware? Their website is now DOA.
LeviWalker

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:46:51 PM

Does anyone have a link to the latest CoinTerra firmware? Their website is now DOA.

Sure, I just sent a PM with download links. Let me know if you need anything else.
Cefalu

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 08:17:53 AM

big trouble -
I think maybe some lightning hit my miners and associated comm gear,
all of it is screwed up.
Both of my TIV's boot up and fail to have ethernet, have yet to figure out
what the issue is, nothing looks popped and nothing obvious from dmesg
so far.
altcointalk14

Activity: 751
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 02:32:39 PM

big trouble -
all of it is screwed up.
so far.

Sometimes boot up with ethernet disconnected then after it is up  a couple minutes then connect the cable.
LeviWalker

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 08:09:37 PM

big trouble -
all of it is screwed up.
so far.

Just open them up and go USB right to the PC running cgminer. The Ethernet port goes to the BBB which is hooked up to each board via USB. You dont need the BBB to run these but you will not have the web interface any more. They work fine without it though.
Cefalu

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 06:52:32 AM

Thanks for the input, but I think all associated networking equipment got ether-fried.

I pulled the BBB's out and slipped them a known good micro-SD Debian image, no joy. The router and the switch they were connected to are also
ether-fried, as well as a workstation on that network.
Nobody talks ethernet anymore. Maybe running the miners at 240vAC and connecting them to some 120vAC networking equipment
connected by a long cable to a different 120vAC circuit and then to the utilities
caused some of it to capture a *lot* of energy from the lightning.

Luckily I have 2 more BBB's, I'll re-image them and see if I can get them running again.
This time I'll get some grounding and surge protection for the ethernet.
Was  using older, hand-me-down equipment in an industrial area, was bound to run into some problems eventually.

numnutz2009

Activity: 387
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 04:16:20 PM

lol sooooo who is the dude saying its a good idea to hook these to a car battery?? i told a guy before its not a good idea to hook them to a car battery to blow the fets that are failing so the board can boot back up again....i dont feel like going through page after page to find my older posts in this thread but to recap my later comments.....dont reverse the inputs (keep ground to ground and pos to pos dont put pos to neg and neg to pos) and if you want to blow the fets of board that look like they are dead even after verifying the pumps work and the thermal paste is good then use a server psu with 2 wires hooked to it that wont shut off like the cointerra psus do and pulse the psu on for a second or 2 then off for a second or 2 then on again and off again until the fet fully blows leaving a clear indication of which one is bad and needs to be replaced and or lets the board at the very least power on again and more often then not hash again but it will be slightly slower because the fet powering the die will be blown so for each 2 fets top and 2 on the bottom goes to 1 die so if 1 of the fets blows in the group 1 die will be down until its replaced. u want to pulse the power not just turn it on and let it burn because they get white hot in a second or so and will burn through the multiple layers of the board pretty fast. i had people send me their broken boards to do this and or replace the failed fets if they didnt have the tools to do it since i do so if u have dead looking boards with no lights and no char patches give this a shot and see how it works for you and if you have boards with gree lights but only partially hashing i can replace the fets on the board for u just pm me if interested but to get most boards back up and running this is what u do....not hooking a 12v car battery to the boards....i wonder if it was the same dude that sent me his boards to be fixed and that i told him a car batter wasnt a good idea lol.
carman336

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 12:12:44 AM

lol sooooo who is the dude saying its a good idea to hook these to a car battery?? i told a guy before its not a good idea to hook them to a car battery to blow the fets that are failing so the board can boot back up again....i dont feel like going through page after page to find my older posts in this thread but to recap my later comments.....dont reverse the inputs (keep ground to ground and pos to pos dont put pos to neg and neg to pos) and if you want to blow the fets of board that look like they are dead even after verifying the pumps work and the thermal paste is good then use a server psu with 2 wires hooked to it that wont shut off like the cointerra psus do and pulse the psu on for a second or 2 then off for a second or 2 then on again and off again until the fet fully blows leaving a clear indication of which one is bad and needs to be replaced and or lets the board at the very least power on again and more often then not hash again but it will be slightly slower because the fet powering the die will be blown so for each 2 fets top and 2 on the bottom goes to 1 die so if 1 of the fets blows in the group 1 die will be down until its replaced. u want to pulse the power not just turn it on and let it burn because they get white hot in a second or so and will burn through the multiple layers of the board pretty fast. i had people send me their broken boards to do this and or replace the failed fets if they didnt have the tools to do it since i do so if u have dead looking boards with no lights and no char patches give this a shot and see how it works for you and if you have boards with gree lights but only partially hashing i can replace the fets on the board for u just pm me if interested but to get most boards back up and running this is what u do....not hooking a 12v car battery to the boards....i wonder if it was the same dude that sent me his boards to be fixed and that i told him a car batter wasnt a good idea lol.

I didn't send you my boards but the reason I suggested a car battery is because I attempted to hook the board to a 1300 watt bench power supply and it still overloaded it without blowing the mosfet. Car battery did the trick though. DC power is DC power and as long as you don't overvolt the board there's no issue. Considering the choice is between dead board and maybe alive board I figured it was worth the risk.
sLide.

Activity: 170

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 03:06:10 AM

All,

Any chance one of your good looking gentlemen has the latest firmware in your back pocket, do you??  Huh

Aim - Slide.0
1J6UeiXtBYXmpA6uajRs3aJpUD1Tsj1CF3 - Tips?
cohnhead

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 06:22:44 AM

if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

I have cointerra... a few weeks ago one board fried... I removed the damaged board and rewired the internals. The machine starts up with the one board just fine. The miner wants to start mining but it appears that none of the asics in the "maybe good" board are being recognized.

I can't see any defects in the board and am hoping there is away to fix it. Can any help?

on the blown board...is there a way to fix that ?

I have included some pics of the burned out board...top and bottom...different flash points

thanks

quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 06:49:26 AM

I'm getting my hands on a bunch of coolers for these, so if anyone is need due to dead pumps or leaky setups, PM me.
semfreak

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:50:02 PM

My CTA 1 has power but stopped hashing. Any idea where to start TS this?
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 10:08:36 PM

My CTA 1 has power but stopped hashing. Any idea where to start TS this?

Does it show up at all?  Temps?
FuryFever

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 01:01:27 PM

I have just about HAD IT with these stupid CoinTerrible machines!!!  I'm about to rip out all my hair trying to figure out how to fix these stupid things...

I finally received the LiquidPro Thermal Compound that I bought off of Amazon a while ago.  So, I figured that I would first apply it to the chips on the TerraMiner that I had the dead board in to see if I could get it working.  So, I very thoroughly removed all of the old thermal compound off of the chips with the Arctic Clean Thermal Compound Remover and the Thermal Surface Purifier and then used a whole syringe of Liquid Pro on each board (half of it went to each cluster of 4 chips, or what CoinTerra calls a "core"). I spread it around evenly and put the liquid cooling heat sinks back on.  I started it back up and - basically no hashing!  The cores were getting so hot that it was instantly shutting down and the board would barely hash anything.  At most I got maybe 15-20 GH/s out of it.  I also could not get the dead board to start back up again.

So, I took it all apart again.  I cleaned all of the LiquidPro off of the chips and heatsinks.  I completely disassembled the liquid cooling system and drained it out, removed the copper heatsinks from the liquid cooling blocks, cleaned out all the fins and removed the little plastic/rubber coolant diverter from each cooling block.  I bought some reinforced clear 1/4" tubing and some radiator clamps to replace the black plastic tubing that I had to cut off to drain the cooling system and refilled the radiators with PC liquid cooling coolant (which was basically just pure water made through reverse osmosis, but it has something added to it to make it glow under UV light, which I don't have a black light anyways, so...)  I then decided to try this other thermal compound that I bought since I didn't seem to have any luck with the LiquidPro last time.  I had bought some tubes of GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P5W4RU/) at the same time that I bought the LiquidPro, so I had a backup just in case.  So, I decided to slather some of that all over (and around) the chips and then re-install the liquid cooling blocks on the chips.

Well, at first I was having a hell of a time nursing it along trying to get it to work.  I think part of the problem was trying to get enough coolant in the system so that the pumps would circulate it properly.  I had to shut it down a couple of times and carefully try to remove the top hose and add some more coolant into the system.  Thankfully, I had the clear tubing now so I could see the coolant level and if it was flowing at all, which it didn't really look like was the case.  However, I could see that it looked like it was trying to suck the coolant through the hose - so I could tell from this that the way it was designed from the factory was that it pulled coolant from the TOP of the radiator into the cooling block and then discharged it into the bottom of the radiator.  This seemed very odd to me, since that is backwards from how it works in a car's cooling system.  In your car's engine, the water pump sucks coolant from the lower radiator hose and pumps it through your engine and then discharges it through the thermostat and the upper radiator hose back into the radiator.  So, I figured there wasn't enough coolant in the radiator for the pump to suck it in (at least through the very top hose - the bottom hose seemed to be getting some coolant through it at least).  So, I decided to "re-engineer" the system and flipped the radiator upside-down so that the pumps would suck coolant from the bottom and discharge it into the top of the radiator.  Plus, then you had gravity working on your side to help push the coolant through the system if the intake was on the bottom of the radiator.  The pumps still have their work cut out for them though to try to pump the coolant up the hoses back into the radiator.  However, this did seem to help as I could now see more coolant trying to flow through the hoses at least and I did manage to get it to start hashing again.  

The next problem though was that it seemed like I was ONLY getting one core to work after all of this.  (Plus I never got the dead board to start working again, so I just disconnected it and I'm only running it on the one "good" board for now...)  When the board starts up, I can see all 8 green LED lights light up, but then only the right 4 turn off in sequence and the left 4 stay on for a few seconds longer.  Then all the lights turn off and when the Miner 2 light turns on, only the right 4 LEDs start lighting up in a sweeping pattern, but the left 4 stay off.  This means that only half the board is working.  In the status page when I remote into the machine, I get normal temperatures from Core 1, but Core 2 has temperatures in the 20-30 degrees Celsius range, meaning it is not turning on at all.  Plus, for the pump speeds, I get a high number of about 3,092 RPM and an average of 1,546 RPM, but I get a low reading of 0 RPM.  I figured that meant one of my pumps was dead.  The connector on the pump has 3 pins, so I figure one must be to either regulate the speed or to report back to the board what speed the pump is operating at.  I used a voltmeter to test the voltages at the plugs and I was getting 12 VDC through each plug to the pump motor for the power, but on the signal wire for one pump I was getting about 5 VDC and the other one I was only getting about 2-3 VDC.  So, I took a new 80mm computer case fan that I had lying around and cut the plug off of it and put the 3 wires into the plug for the pump that didn't seem to be working so that the wires were piggybacked into the plug.  Now, I have an extra fan in the case and when I boot it up I'm getting the other core to turn on and start hashing.  I'm getting 7 out of 8 LED lights to turn on now and start sweeping, and in the status page I now have a low pump speed of 1,454 RPMs.  This means that the cheap case fan I put in there is only capable of probably 1,500 RPMs max, which is much lower than the cooling pumps are supposed to be running at.  So, something must be wrong with the signal wire on the one pump as I can tell the pump is working as it is moving coolant through the hoses, so it is getting 12 VDC and the pump is turning on, but it is not telling the board that it is running or what speed it is running at, so the board shuts off the power to those cores to help protect them.

Well, meanwhile as I was messing around with this one miner, my other TerraMiner, which had previously been the "good" miner that was cooperating, started to die on me.  Oddly enough, the one board in it is still working at peak capacity and I'm getting 810-812 GH/s out of it with no problems!  However, just as with the other TerraMiner, the board closest to the power supplies has slowly started to die (CTA1 or Miner 1).  It WAS working at 810-812 GH/s when I first bought it as well (1,620 GH/s total output from both boards), but now it was slowly decreasing to 600, then 500, then 400, then 300, etc. and then finally I was barely able to get 30-50 GH/s out of it!  So, I decided to take this machine apart as well and try to fix the one board in it that wasn't working anymore.  I know I hadn't had much luck with the LiquidPro before, but I still had 2 syringes of it left, so I figured I would give it a shot on this board to see if it would work at all.  So, I pulled the cooling blocks off, removed all the old thermal compound, and used two whole syringes on just the two cores (8 chips total).  I thought maybe the last time it didn't work because I had used too little of the LiquidPro on the chips, so this time I put it on as thick as I could and I even applied it to the copper heat sink as well as to the top of the chips.  I then installed the cooling blocks back over the chips and powered it back up.  But I was having the EXACT same problem - no hashing due to too high of temperatures!

What the hell gives?  I thought this LiquidPro was supposed to be THE BOMB stuff to use and it would cool off my chips so they would be ice cold...  I wasn't getting this AT ALL!  In fact, it seemed to make my chips run even hotter!  According to the status page, I was seeing average temps in the 110-115 degrees Celsius range with high temps peaking at around 125-135 degrees Celsius!  Granted, it would only run like that for a few seconds before shutting down.  When the board did try to hash, it would only end up running at like 9-15 GH/s at most for a few minutes, then it would shut down and go to 0 GH/s again for a while.  Then it would start going through a bunch of CTA's on that board - it would start out as CTA1 and then go through CTA2, CTA3, CTA4, etc., etc...  The most I saw it run through was all the way up to CTA32 in about 4-6 hours before I caught it and restarted the system again to try to see if it would stabilize.  But, I just couldn't get it to work right and I kept having problems with the chips overheating.

Well, then this morning I found that the board completely died on me now!  I wasn't getting it to come up at all and it now has the same fate as the second board in my other miner that I can't get to start up.  I tried restarting the miner about half a dozen times this morning and it just kept coming up with only CTA0 mining at 810 GH/s and the CTA1 board would not show up at all anymore.  I had been thinking of cleaning the LiquidPro off of the chips and trying some Noctua thermal compound out on it as I just ordered a few tubes of that off Amazon to see if that stuff would work any better, but now it seems like it would be a waste of money if this CTA1 board has stopped being recognized altogether now by the control board for whatever reason.  I could redo the thermal compound on it all I like, but somehow I doubt that the board will start up and begin hashing again now after the way it has been acting.

I am just so frustrated and fed up with these stupid things!!!  I am about ready to go all Office Space on them with a sledgehammer for all the headaches they have caused me!  I just don't get why the LiquidPro ended up being a TOTAL waste of time and money and did NOTHING at all to help cool my chips off.  The GELID thermal compound did a MUCH better job than the LiquidPro, although even that isn't perfect.  I am now only getting about 335-375 GH/s at most out of the one TerraMiner that I completely rebuilt at power stepping 9, which is a hell of a lot better than I WAS getting out of it, but it is still nowhere near 800 GH/s, which is where it SHOULD be if the board was running at peak capacity.  I suppose at this point I could just combine the two boards that I have working right now into one case and consolidate them into one working machine and then either junk or try to sell the other components to someone with more time and patience than I have to see if they can get them to start working at all or not.  I am just very disappointed and frankly disgruntled with these machines that for all the time, effort, and money I have put into these just to STILL have them not working right!  I have wasted about $90 just in thermal compound alone on these stupid CoinTerrible machines only to still have them overheat and not mine properly.  I have had it with these things!!!  I just don't understand what is wrong with them and why all the supposed "fixes" to get them working again have failed miserably!  I think these things just don't like me...

sLide.

Activity: 170

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 11:51:26 PM

Anyone still here?  Need some info on my CoinTerra miners are not mining at all. web portal's up, but no status under advance and nothing happens when I reboot the unit or cgminer.  Any wise words?

Aim - Slide.0
1J6UeiXtBYXmpA6uajRs3aJpUD1Tsj1CF3 - Tips?
FuryFever

Activity: 25

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 01:26:52 PM

Anyone still here?  Need some info on my CoinTerra miners are not mining at all...

Yeah, I'm not sure either, sLide...  It has been over a week since I posted and no one responded back to me either...  I have been having a hell of a time with my CoinTerra miners as well and thought I did all the right things and I'm still not getting them to mine at optimal output and they are still overheating.

Just from my very basic understanding of these machines and from what I have learned from this forum, I would think that perhaps either you have some blown or about to blow or burn out Mosfets or other electrolytics on the board (the medium sized to small electrical components soldered into the outsides of the boards around the GoldStrike chips and liquid cooling blocks).  The chips could also be having serious instant-overheating issues, so the board is shutting them down before the BeagleBone boots up all the way so your CTA's are not even coming up at all when you boot it up.  The best thing to check is to take the cover off and power it up and see what the LED chaser lights at the front of the boards are doing.  If they light up and promptly go out, it could be from overheating the chips.  If they don't light up at all and/or the fans aren't running at all, there could be another issue with the board that has basically killed it. Either something is causing the board to short out or otherwise stop the flow of electricity from flowing though all of the circuits.  It does seem kind of surprising that both boards would be dead in the machine though - usually I have seen that only one board will go completely down but the other will tend to keep working for whatever reason.

Good luck with it...  You'll probably need it as I haven't had too much luck with these things myself! lol...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: