Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:21:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra Hardware Support **Unofficial  (Read 56743 times)
Scrappy Do

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:30:01 PM

I have a machine that has been hashing without issue (other than heat) for the last 3 months.....

Yesterday I rebooted it (via the configuration page) as the pool reported slowing accepted work...

Now it wont restart mining...I just have the "1 TerraMiner Offline: 127.0.0.1" screen.

I have tried:

1, Software rebooting, Via the Configuration page
2, Restating CGMiner, Via the Configuration page
3, Hard rebooting, leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes then plugging it back in
4, Reflashing the firmware

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Are the leds all running the pattern I described in a earlier post?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheWoodser

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:49:29 PM

I have a machine that has been hashing without issue (other than heat) for the last 3 months.....

Yesterday I rebooted it (via the configuration page) as the pool reported slowing accepted work...

Now it wont restart mining...I just have the "1 TerraMiner Offline: 127.0.0.1" screen.

I have tried:

Thanks

Not sure.....Its in a CoLo....

Tip Jars:  BTC: 1J8y3SLzGoY2gLYScsbTZmUH7dW18J1q4S          LTC:  LMkJZ8yuwtVr57GLYZ1JRWstQTc29Cfrtn     Doge: D95sgyBbRz8xhsQMAPmACYfB8vKWUAGuTn 
Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366385.0
Scrappy Do

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:38:23 AM

I have tried:

Thanks

With that said, you kind of make it impossible to troubleshoot. I am willing to help, but you are unable to provide any info. Sad
montyfd

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 02:14:35 PM

OK, so today was the day, i tried the Liquid Pro.
Up to today, temps were in the range of 90-110 deg Celsius, getting hotter every day.
First of all, i cleaned everything with cpmpressed air. Seeing how much dirt was in the radiators, i re-connected the Cointerra and checked.
2 cores still not working, but the other temps 20-30 degrees down.

Lesson 1: clean that shit frequently!

Then started with the liquid pro. Failed 3 times, it did not reboot anymore. Tried with less liquid pro, still not working.
Now i went the other route and took more: better. It booted, but the temps between cores were very different.
So i took it apart again, biut this time also applied a very thin layer of liquid pro to the metal plate from the cooling system.
Result: a dream!
Temps are all under 60 deg Celsius now and even the 2 inactive cores are back. Hashrate has gone from 13xx to exact 1600.

Lesson 2: dont use too much liquid pro is correct, but using not enough will not help either ;-)
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:33:12 AM

Same deal with mine, just one core though

Has anyone tried just getting rid of all their cooling bullshit and just running this on air?

(I'm thinking cpu tower coolers for each core and a big blower fan blowing across the whole thing...

How big is the area you need to cover? Would normal cpu tower cover it?

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
Mattster28

Activity: 169

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:13:55 AM

Has anyone tried just getting rid of all their cooling bullshit and just running this on air?

(I'm thinking cpu tower coolers for each core and a big blower fan blowing across the whole thing...

The problem is not the coolers. It's the unevenness of the chips (and the ring around the dies) which causes the chips to not make good contact with the bottom of the cooling block. I have tried thermal pads and got lousy results. I have tried reapplying thermal paste several times with different results each time. Then I applied Liquid Pro to both the chips and the bottom of the water block and BINGO. Temps are great now, 59°C-65°C.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:53:28 AM

The problem is not the coolers. It's the unevenness of the chips (and the ring around the dies) which causes the chips to not make good contact with the bottom of the cooling block. I have tried thermal pads and got lousy results. I have tried reapplying thermal paste several times with different results each time. Then I applied Liquid Pro to both the chips and the bottom of the water block and BINGO. Temps are great now, 59°C-65°C.

Ok, I will order some. But I think I'm still gonna try air cooling, this thing is ungodly loud.

I really hope you're not just some liquid pro rep  Grin

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
Mattster28

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:58:27 AM

Ok, I will order some. But I think I'm still gonna try air cooling, this thing is ungodly loud.

I really hope you're not just some liquid pro rep  Grin

LOL, nope not some rep. Just a Terraminer overheating victim. You can see my screenshots of my temps a few pages back if you like. Whatever you do just be careful with the Liquid Pro.

Edit: Also if you're not comfortable applying thermal compound Liquid Pro might not be for you. You can possibly destroy your unit if you get any on your board.
Scrappy Do

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:26:55 AM

I really hope you're not just some liquid pro rep  Grin

As far as I can tell he is no rep. But I can tell you this. The shit works. Just gotta make sure you apply it right. This could mean anything from heavy to extremely light on a chip. Hell the water cooler could be off too. If you apply it correctly, shit just simply works.
bitcoinbearhk

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 08:29:36 AM

Thanks guys for all these suggestions.  I have ordered my Liquid Pro around 10 days ago, and now waiting for it to arrive.  To get my self prepared, may I ask how I should commence with my repair?:

Problems suffered:
1) 2 miners got their whole board not running.  Even the fan on the failed side did not run !!!, The 2 little lights at the back of the PSU got 1 turned "yellow".

2) 3 miners got 1 out of 4 cores not working.

3) some miners got extremely hot, and occasionally stop 1 core, but will return when rest for a while.

Potential solution that I've read from this forum:
1) remove the copper plate, take out the "white" rubber inside, then re-fix the copper plate on the water block.  (really? can someone confirm this works?);

2) remove the thermal paste and apply Liquid Pro.  (this has been proven here I suppose.  Can someone teach me how to apply? 1 little droplet in the middle of each chip, or spread them over the whole chip?  Need to apply on the copper side?)

3) remove the "black & white" chaser cable.  I have tried, no use.

4) switch the power supply large cables between the two boards.  i.e. the supply originally to left board now connect to right board, vice versa. (will try this out maybe)

Can someone confirm the above "potential solution summary", and summarize some key points that I should be aware of before I commence with my Liquid Pro application?

Thanks a million brothers.
Mattster28

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 02:44:07 PM

Thanks guys for all these suggestions.  I have ordered my Liquid Pro around 10 days ago, and now waiting for it to arrive.  To get my self prepared, may I ask how I should commence with my repair?:

Problems suffered:
1) 2 miners got their whole board not running.  Even the fan on the failed side did not run !!!, The 2 little lights at the back of the PSU got 1 turned "yellow".

3) some miners got extremely hot, and occasionally stop 1 core, but will return when rest for a while.

1) remove the copper plate, take out the "white" rubber inside, then re-fix the copper plate on the water block.  (really? can someone confirm this works?);

2) remove the thermal paste and apply Liquid Pro.  (this has been proven here I suppose.  Can someone teach me how to apply? 1 little droplet in the middle of each chip, or spread them over the whole chip?  Need to apply on the copper side?)

4) switch the power supply large cables between the two boards.  i.e. the supply originally to left board now connect to right board, vice versa. (will try this out maybe)

Can someone confirm the above "potential solution summary", and summarize some key points that I should be aware of before I commence with my Liquid Pro application?

There are some video's on youtube on how to apply. Watch them! I applied it to both the water block and the chips. On the water block you want just enough to cover where the chips make contact with the copper plate ( I could see the outline of the chip on the bottom of my water block). You want to make sure the Liquid Pro don't run like paint when you hold the water block vertical. As for the chips, I put just enough to cover then put about half the size of a BB right in the center of each chip. I used a little more than a syringe when I did mine. What ever you do be very careful with it and do not get it anywhere on the board. Liquid Pro is highly conductive. As for the rest of your questions I'm not sure.
scriber

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:20:41 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 09:10:48 PM by scriber

Problems suffered:

Go back earlier in this thread and you will see step by step pics I posted of applying liquid pro. Use the q-tip they provide to spread it around and make sure to cover all areas to the edges just like the pics. Its tricky working with liquid pro but take your time and use a steady hand. I dont know why your power supply has a yellow light
KOTEKPL

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:02:27 PM

has anyone here ever recover from Orange / yellow light on the power supply issue? Like half the fans only turn on?

There is apparently a short on the board.  I got as far as pulling the entire board out and washing and scrubbing it with iso 99% and it still has a short. looked through a lighted magnifying glass at ever single component and can not see anything fried or physically damaged... any suggestions?
Scrappy Do

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:30:39 PM

has anyone here ever recover from Orange / yellow light on the power supply issue? Like half the fans only turn on?

There is apparently a short on the board.  I got as far as pulling the entire board out and washing and scrubbing it with iso 99% and it still has a short. looked through a lighted magnifying glass at ever single component and can not see anything fried or physically damaged... any suggestions?

Unplug one pump and see if it works, if not plug it back in and unplug the other pump and test again. I have seen 2 users that by merely pulling the pump power, half a board works.
KOTEKPL

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 12:57:05 AM

Nothing plugged into the board and it still doesn't work. No leds and the orange led lights up on the power supply.
bitcoinbearhk

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:14:20 AM

OK, so yesterday I finally got some Artic Silver 5 and did some repair (did not apply Liquid Pro, yet, because noticed that once applied hard to remove.  Will do Liquid Pro if everything is fine).

1 pump stopping issue:
I have faced this issue for a few of my miners.  Just, 1 pump got 0 pump speed reading.
- I replaced the thermal gel with Artic Silver 5.  No use;
- I remove the white plastic inside copper.  No use;
- I switch the power between front water block and rear water block !!! it runs !!! for 30 seconds ... then it gets EXTREMELY hot and shut.

Conclusion:
- since switching the power supplies between the two water blocks will trick the board in believing that the faulty core is receiving a functional water block (but indeed not), it will start runing, but due to heat, will shut down very soon.

Further Trial (please recommend water block replacement):
- this has greatly narrow down the problem to : If you have 1 out of 4 core not hashing, most probably, the water pump on that core is burnt / broken !!!  I think replacing the water block may fix the problem easily.  Can someone recommend a suitable common water block which could be bought from local computer store easily???  I will try replacing the water block, and provide you guys with the result once tested.
TheWoodser

Activity: 188

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:27:21 AM

I have tried:

Thanks

With that said, you kind of make it impossible to troubleshoot. I am willing to help, but you are unable to provide any info. Sad

I was able to fix it after having it unplugged for 24 hours.  It appears that it was "heat related"  Now that the box had time to cool off....It is running "hot" but normal.   I will be replacing the paste.

Tip Jars:  BTC: 1J8y3SLzGoY2gLYScsbTZmUH7dW18J1q4S          LTC:  LMkJZ8yuwtVr57GLYZ1JRWstQTc29Cfrtn     Doge: D95sgyBbRz8xhsQMAPmACYfB8vKWUAGuTn 
Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366385.0
marvinmartian

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:53:40 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2014, 08:31:19 PM by marvinmartian

Sad that CT took down their forums.  I had been reasonably active there like many others.

Anyhow, I've been nursing my two TMIV's along since April.  One continues to crank out a reasonably stable 1.6 th with decent core temps.  The other is hobbled down to 1.2 th as one core gets far too hot.  I've applied Noctua NT-H1 twice.  Worked well for a while, but then temps went back up.  Decided to give Liquid Pro a try.

Now I've got my LPro ready to go.  I'm hoping I'll see gains similar to what others have claimed here as well as a solution that keeps working (hopefully).

My question is, do I need to let the LPro cure before firing my machine back up at all?  Or should I just run it at "low" (PL 1-3) power while the stuff cures for 40hrs or so.  Or even better, can I just go right up to full throttle (PL 9)?

I know the material cures, I'm just not clear on what care needs to be taken during that process.  

The documentation provided by Cool Laboratory is both a bit short and sometimes torqued by the German translation.  They make no mention of curing, or oddly even needing to use the included "rough" pad which I'm guessing some may use to rough up the surface?  

I think I may skip that step on my Goldstrike chips though.  Maybe more something for CPU/GPUs where there is a larger smooth surface to deal with.

"... and the geeks shall inherit the earth."
montyfd

Activity: 60

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 09:32:57 PM

Sad that CT took down their forums.  I had been reasonably active there like many others.

Anyhow, I've been nursing my two TMIV's along since April.  One continues to crank out a reasonably stable 1.6 th with decent core temps.  The other is hobbled down to 1.2 th as one core gets far too hot.  I've applied Noctua NT-H1 twice.  Worked well for a while, but then temps went back up.  Decided to give Liquid Pro a try.

Now I've got my LPro ready to go.  I'm hoping I'll see gains similar to what others have claimed here as well as a solution that keeps working (hopefully).

My question is, do I need to let the LPro cure before firing my machine back up at all?  Or should I just run it at "low" (PL 1-3) power while the stuff cures for 40hrs or so.  Or even better, can I just go right up to full throttle (PL 9)?

I know the material cures, I'm just not clear on what care needs to be taken during that process.  

The documentation provided by Cool Laboratory is both a bit short and sometimes torqued by the German translation.  They make no mention of curing, or oddly even needing to use the included "rough" pad which I'm guessing some may use to rough up the surface?  

I think I may skip that step on my Goldstrike chips though.  Maybe more something for CPU/GPUs where there is a larger smooth surface to deal with.

I went full throttle directly. Thats the only way you can see if you applied it correct or not. Running now a week without any issues since that.
Mattster28

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:23:22 PM

When I applied LP to mine I started it at power step 8. I let it run about a day then went to power step 9. After a reset to power step 9 my temps dropped about 5°C. As for the Scotch Brite (rough pad) I didn't use it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: