Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:01:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS]  (Read 169363 times)
Spotswood

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2012, 12:01:29 PM

Second, what app are you using to model the rig frame?  I need to do something similar but don't know what would be good software to use for mocking up ideas.

Its the the free Google Sketchup.  There's a library of computer component models at http://scc.jezmckean.com/home, which you can import into your own model. 

The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk (OP)

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 12:38:58 PM

I'm guessing there still isn't a solution to the lame 8 GPU limit with AMD drivers? I've read through a few of the pages and it sounds like short of AMD adjusting the limits in the drivers you'll be stuck at 8 cores.
Yeah, but I'm going to attempt to experiment with virtualization and things to see what I can do.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
amazingrando

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 08:23:49 PM

I'm guessing there still isn't a solution to the lame 8 GPU limit with AMD drivers? I've read through a few of the pages and it sounds like short of AMD adjusting the limits in the drivers you'll be stuck at 8 cores.
Yeah, but I'm going to attempt to experiment with virtualization and things to see what I can do.

^^ This is perhaps the most interesting part of the whole project from my perspective.  If there is a way to use virtualization but still access the GPU hardware, that could allow for some really interesting ways of doing things.

Bitbond - 105% PPS mining bond - mining payouts without buying hardware
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 08:32:36 PM

If there is a way to use virtualization but still access the GPU hardware, that could allow for some really interesting ways of doing things.
There is, and a lot of commercial virtualization software offers it. It's usually called "GPU pass-through", or something along those lines.

amazingrando

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 08:43:34 PM

If there is a way to use virtualization but still access the GPU hardware, that could allow for some really interesting ways of doing things.
There is, and a lot of commercial virtualization software offers it. It's usually called "GPU pass-through", or something along those lines.

Nice!  I see that Citrix' XenServer has it.  I wonder if that means that Xen (open source version) also has it.

Going to have to do some testing tonight.

rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 09:05:30 PM

Yes, but I have yet to hear from anyone that has tested it much. Luke-jr is the only one that I know of that has actually mined with a video card in a virtualized OS, using KVM passthough virtualization. But that was only one card, and the system was somewhat unstable. Others have mentioned that since the drivers run in usermode with X, that I might be able to run multiple X instances. But I don't really know enough about how that works to know how to set it up, or even whether it would work at all.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
amazingrando

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 11:54:26 PM

Yes, but I have yet to hear from anyone that has tested it much. Luke-jr is the only one that I know of that has actually mined with a video card in a virtualized OS, using KVM passthough virtualization. But that was only one card, and the system was somewhat unstable. Others have mentioned that since the drivers run in usermode with X, that I might be able to run multiple X instances. But I don't really know enough about how that works to know how to set it up, or even whether it would work at all.

I'm fairly swamped at the moment, but if I can find some time I'll give it a try and see how it works, then report my results.

Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 06:25:26 AM

I see. If you find a solution it'll make for some very interesting possibilities. Wish you the best of luck on that.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 04:00:47 AM

First of all - this has been really interested to watch it develop.  The more rigs I've accumulated the more management of rigs becomes an issue and higher density setups look more appetizing.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.  Specifically how well it works and what the final bill is.

Second, what app are you using to model the rig frame?  I need to do something similar but don't know what would be good software to use for mocking up ideas.

Solidworks is great for doing stuff like that, I don't know what he's using though.

This is progressing really well though. Looks awesome!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 04:02:36 AM

Solidworks is great for doing stuff like that, I don't know what he's using though.

Read up the page just a little bit...:

Its the the free Google Sketchup.  There's a library of computer component models at http://scc.jezmckean.com/home, which you can import into your own model. 
Grin

amazingrando

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 04:04:47 AM

Read up the page just a little bit...:

Grin

That made my day right there.  Not just a cool free tool, but a library with computer part models.  Yay!!

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 08:53:47 PM

Yeah, I need to get into the habit of reading the thread before replying Tongue

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 08:57:15 PM

I think the issue is that most folks don't realize that they can click the little tiny word "NEW" the appears at the end of the thread title. What that does is bring you straight to the most recent message in the thread that you haven't read. So it doesn't go all the way to the end, it starts where you left off. It makes my forum-browsing life so much easier.

bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 10:24:24 PM

I think the issue is that most folks don't realize that they can click the little tiny word "NEW" the appears at the end of the thread title. What that does is bring you straight to the most recent message in the thread that you haven't read. So it doesn't go all the way to the end, it starts where you left off. It makes my forum-browsing life so much easier.

Thank you for the helpful forum usage tips !

Any other such features that may not be obvious but highly useful ?

Thanks again !
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 01:37:14 PM

Guys, check out the pure awesome radiating from this thing. What a beast.

Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 01:42:46 PM

Nice Cheesy now get those components in !

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 02:05:56 PM

That thing is a beast!!!!   What are the outer dimensions if I might ask?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 02:11:14 PM

Hi, can you provide more info on the power supply please ? (the Dell 2000w) how did you wire it up and is it running now ?

Thanks.
amazingrando

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 03:10:01 PM

Shocked

Beauty!

rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 03:26:14 PM

That thing is a beast!!!!   What are the outer dimensions if I might ask?
I'm not actually 100% sure of the exact dimensions, but Spotswood could probably tell us.

Hi, can you provide more info on the power supply please ? (the Dell 2000w) how did you wire it up and is it running now ?

Thanks.
I haven't even messed with them yet. Sad I need to find a c19 plug somewhere, and then a multimeter so I can start poking around the signal pins hoping it doesn't blow up. I also need to find out the best way to make a common 12v bus for so many amps, as well as a way to attach all the 6/8-pin connectors to it. It will probably be some manner of copper bus bar, with the connectors scavenged from old power supplies.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: