Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:34:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANN: BITMAIN has Tested Its 28nm Bitcoin Mining Chip BM1382  (Read 143970 times)
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:45:50 PM

Any chance you can post an instruction guide for the upgrade kit?

We will post the instruction before we ship the kit.
Will you work with Nwools and Luke Jr to allow a BFG Miner version to be developed? Please provide them with the documents they requested to develop this option.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joris

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:50:28 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 10:00:25 PM by joris

BITMAIN: will you include a secondary fan, since the S1 was single-fanned, or could we just run the upgrade kit with only one fan...

It's a bit confusing for me, seeing the upgrade kit mounted on a S3 chassis.

There seems to be not so much space for the LAN-cable to enter the socket of the horizontally mounted S1 controller board. Could you please provide a picture with a LAN cable inserted on bitmaintech.com.

EDIT: site BITMAIN is updated

;-)
hobbymd

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:02:58 PM

BITMAIN: will you include a secondary fan, since the S1 was single-fanned, or could we just run the upgrade kit with only one fan...

It's a bit confusing for me, seeing the upgrade kit mounted on a S3 chassis.

There seems to be not so much space for the LAN-cable to enter the socket of the horizontally mounted S1 controller board. Could you please provide a picture with a LAN cable inserted on bitmaintech.com.

So basically Bitmain is telling people is okay to run their upgraded s1 to s3 with only 1 fan  Huh   

how is that going to affect the advertised performance rates ?  here is a quote from their site
Used S1 will be upgraded to 453 GH/s while consumes only 355 Watt power at the wall.
joris

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:13:59 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 09:59:58 PM by joris

Heat dissipation is the same as the S1 (ca. 360 W), so why not? Only with half the number of chips, heat production will be more concentrated, that's why there's a second heatsink on top of the chips. I assume the double fan configuration of the S3 is due to the closed box chassis, while the more open S1 is able to dissipate more heat to its local environment.

But assumptions ain't enough for me in this case.

EDIT: site BITMAIN is updated

;-)
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:18:50 PM

In the introduction of the S3 it was stated that a second fan was provided to Reduce Noise by Increasing air flow and allowing the fans to achieved sufficient cooling at a Reduced RPM. Use only one if you want to listen to it but a $10 140mmX38mm fan will help.
joris

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:28:56 PM

Tnx hurricandave, for answering the first part of this question, which they indeed still state on bitmaintech.com.

The second question remains open to BITMAIN:

There seems to be not so much space for the LAN-cable to enter the socket of the horizontally mounted S1 controller board. Could you please provide a picture with a ordinary network cable inserted on bitmaintech.com or should one go with a right angled connector anyway.

;-)
OneCardShy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:37:22 PM

Hey Bitmain, is the S1/S2 upgrade still planed?

I'm guessing Bitmain floated this idea because they just wanted to help liquidate S1 and S2 inventory before the S3 came out. A bit of a tease really ...

I doubt we'll actually see any upgrade kits. An S4 is more likely.

Good timing.  Wink
Mudbankkeith

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:56:03 PM

Hey Bitmain, is the S1/S2 upgrade still planed?

I'm guessing Bitmain floated this idea because they just wanted to help liquidate S1 and S2 inventory before the S3 came out. A bit of a tease really ...

I doubt we'll actually see any upgrade kits. An S4 is more likely.

Good timing.  Wink
They have 5 weeks to implement this upgrade kit and get them supplied.

Take note the batch 7 (S3) is now closed and batch 8 (S3+) will deliver at the same time as the upgrade kit.

I suspect these will be the last of the S3 design.

That gives them plenty of time to come up with your "S4 design" (possibly a 14nm device?)

EDIT:- It is also possible that the next design (S4) will be in the same chasis as the S1 S3 and S3+
          This could also spawn another upgrade path for the trusty S1

BTc donations welcome:-  13c2KuzWCaWFTXF171Zn1HrKhMYARPKv97
ljfinkey

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:13:40 PM

So, with the upgrade kits at .46 BTC each and the S3 at .58 BTC each.  At a $550 BTC price, that makes the S3 $319 and the upgrade kit $253.  I opted to just buy 2 S3 units instead of upgrading my 2 S1 units as I can sell them on eBay for much more than $66.  I hope the S2 upgrade doesn't follow the same price structure.
elaramus

Activity: 219

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:14:18 AM

S3+ and S1 Upgrade kit are for sales

Only Available at http://www.bitmaintech.com

Bitmain now announce the S3+ which is a revised version of S3 running stably at 453GH/s (frequency=225 MHz), while consumes 355 Watt power at the wall. Most of miners will be able to run up to 500GH/s but not guaranteed.

S3+ for sales shipping starts on September 20th or earlier

S3 is a great success product and almost sold out. The sale of S3+ is 0.58 BTC each including the international shipping, which starts on September 20th, 2014 or earlier. Sales open in the Beijing Time tonight 22:00 (UCT+8:00 Time Zone).

We strongly believe it is best choice of mining bitcoin for both the mining farm and the home miners.

S3+ Specifications:
Hash Rate: 453 GH/s±5% with great OC potential
Power Consumption: 355 Watt at the wall
Power Efficiency: 0.78J/GH on wall
Power Supply: 12V DC
Size:  331 mm x 137 mm x 160 mm
Fans: Two 14038 fans mounted on both front and back ends
Operating Temperature: 0 °C to 35 °C
Complied with: FCC / CE
Network Connection: Ethernet

S1 Upgrade Kit for sales shipping starts on September 20th or earlier

The sale of S1 Upgrade Kit is 0.46 BTC each including international shipping, which starts on September 20th or earlier. Sales open in the Beijing Time tonight 22:00 (UCT+8:00 Time Zone).

S1 Upgrade Kit allows global loyal customers who own S1 to spend the cheapest cost to achieve the best performance: Used S1 will be upgraded to 453 GH/s while consumes only 355 Watt power at the wall.

The time of deployment is a significant factor in the global mining market. The design for heat sink of S1 is customized but compatible with the hashing board of S3. Hence we can finalize the S1 upgrade solution by a surprising speed, to maximize the mining life time for used S1 for each end-customer.

Here customers will get a “yes” for the question that can we recycle the used stuffs from used S1: control board, heat sink, fan, holder… Remove and Replace two units of hash boards and one unit of adapter board only.

S1 Upgrade Kit includes:
1.   2 units of Hash boards which will be mounted with mini customized heat sink
2.   1 unit of adapter board
3.   1 unit of control board holder
4.   4 units of Plastic brackets, 2 units of 2x10 pin cables, 4 screws, 4 spring screws, some thermal paste

Specifications:
Hash Rate: 453 GH/s±5% with great OC potential
Power Consumption: 355 Watt at the wall
Power Efficiency: 0.78 J/GH on wall
Power consumption: This figure depends on the PSU efficiency, ambient temperature and the accuracy of the power meters.

Notes:
1)   S1 Upgrade Kit is designed for customers who own S1. Please be careful to place an order before you are sure you have or will have S1 in hands.
2)   S1 Upgrade Kit is nonrefundable after purchase.

Is SEPTEMBER a mistake? I thought Bitmain didn't do pre-orders. That date is over a month in the future.
jpchrist

Activity: 174

16Q3R8NAfK63DvkTUGgLdPScyMU8uSAJUH

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:07:21 AM

Just got 2 S1 upgrade kits, need to cancel my S1 on eBay fast!!!  Cool Cool Cool

Why? Because you cant wait to lose money?
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 02:38:29 PM

I'm copying this from the Bitmain S3 discussion thread in the hope that Bitmain will do the right thing, abide by the law & respect ckolivas request to release their code as stipulated by the Open Source License Agreement:

I do wish the BITMAIN would publish the device driver details so that a current version of cgminer could be attained. I know at least 2 releases in 4 had notes about queue improvements and one at least specifically stated it generated work much faster. Also one of the last 3's had an improvement about how work was loaded into devices. I know for sure 3.12 is very old and I am positive that many work generation improvements have been added since then.

Exactly. I don't understand why they don't work more closely with the cgminer devs - using such an old miner for this equipment is false economy. There have been many improvements & optimixations since this cgminer release, not to mention a very important fix for work redirection by a third party.
Can we just SSH in to it and compile CGMiner to a newer version ?
One would assume that we have access to their modified code and driver for cgminer which the cgminer license stipulates, however they have ignored our requests for making that code available. I am considering what direction to take now about that license violation.

Indeed, I saw your post requesting access to the code - ignoring it seems a very strange course of action by Bitmain, especially since agreeing & cooperating would not only benefit everyone - but would also stay within the legally binding license terms.......

I hope they realize their error & do the right thing - as well as live up to their claim of supporting the Bitcoin community.

@ckolivas: Is there anything we, the community, can do to help? Maybe if we all started mailing them they will take notice?

Hmmmm.......Sorry to quote myself, but the more I think about this - the more it doesn't make any sense. in fact, it smells.

Apart from the obvious legal obligations pointed out by ckolivas, one of the hardest working & well respected Bitcoin community members there is, I find myself wondering why on earth Bitmain won't release their code - are they trying to hide something? I mean, the third party redirect fix was a very important update - why on earth would Bitmain not want to implement it? There are also a multitude of other fixes & improvements which Kano (where is he by the way?) listed in a previous post regarding the S2, but are still relevent:

Because:
1) The version in there throws away valid blocks on p2pool
2) The version in there doesn't block the recent stratum redirect problem
3) The version in there passes all shares to the pool even if they are below target (I'm sure pools must hate the S2 due to the major increase in CPU requirements at the pool)
4) The version in there has the API set to W:0/0 so anyone with network access can change your settings/pool/username (and the web page doesn't let you fix that)
5) The version in there has a modified API with different field names to the standard API so anyone using other software that reads the API must get that software changed (or use a proper API version of cgminer in the S2 Tongue)

By not cooperating with the cgminer devs request to release the code as they are legally bound to do - and not updating cgminer to incorporate the very important security fixes, Bitmain are not only breaking the law - but they are also arousing suspicion amongst the Bitcoin community as to why they are refusing to do so. For a company that claims to respect & care deeply for the Bitcoin community, this makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Before anyone starts breaking my balls accusing me of stirring things up trying to discredit Bitmain - I am a customer who has Bitmain hardware & am quite happy with it. I am merely pointing out the legally binding obligations Bitmain are ignoring, as well as trying to highlight the contempt that Bitmain are showing towards ckolivas & kano - without who, mining & Bitcoin would not be what it is today. We, as a community owe it to the cgminer devs to make sure that all hardware manufacturers respect their requests to release their code as stated in the open source license agreement. If they refuse - we should all be concerned as to the reasons why.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm a great believer in Open Source & what the cgminer devs have done, and continue to do. We owe them  Wink

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
Duce

Activity: 175

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:42:05 AM

Update
S1 Upgrade Kit includes:
1. 2 units of hash boards
2. 2 unit of mini customized heat sinks
3. 4 units of white plastic brackets
4. 8 spring screws
5. 1 bag of thermal paste
6. 1 fan including the fan's cover and screws

BITMAIN since I have loaded kanoi's cgminer version in my S1 units (http://kano-kun.net/AntS1/cgminer-ants1-4.3.2a-85fcf0c) will this work with the new blades as I see I am to re-use the controller?

cathoderay

Activity: 379

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:33:29 PM

Hi BITMAIN.

As you're an official representative of bitmain, may I ask you to please provide the source code for your modifications to cgminer in the form of the driver for the S3. cgminer is provided under the GPL version 3 license which means you are obliged by law to provide the source code to any modifications you do if you distribute binaries and you are distributing modified cgminer binaries with every S3.

Provision of the source code would allow us to aid the development of your driver and help bring your version to sync up with the latest cgminer to derive the benefits of newer versions along with its many fixes.

Bumping this

BITMAIN - A couple questions please:

1)  Why do you continue to ignore the request by the cgminer developers to release your code as you are morally & legally required to do so under the GPLv3 License Agreement?

2)  The cgminer software that you are deploying ILLEGALLY with your software has SEVERE security flaws, including the stratum redirect issue - why are you NOT implementing the latest version to eliminate these issues?

These and other questions have been asked many times by many people across this forum, but you continue to ignore them, refusing to even comment, and by doing so you are not only breaking the law, but you are also demonstrating massive contempt towards the cgminer developers & the Open Source Community as well as creating suspicion as to your reasons/motives within the Bitcoin Community.

Until you decide to capitulate & do the honorable & legally binding - and above all, the RIGHT thing - I and others on this forum will continue to pursue a response/reply to the above questions.

I urge everyone on this forum to do the same, not only out of respect & gratitude to the cgminer developers who have given so much to the Bitcoin community FOR FREE under the GPLv3 Licensing Terms, but also to ensure the security of your own extremely vulnerable mining equipment purchased from Bitmain.

Thank you.

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
cathoderay

Activity: 379

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 11:14:22 AM

Dear Community,

Our truly apologies for the mis-understanding reported in this Support Thread. We are very willing to share the cgminer code to the Community.
Just reviewed our internal resource again, there is a little mis-communicaton between Customer Service Team and R&D Department. We thought this task was done 3 weeks ago.. 
However, R&D Department is repacking the cgminer code and will upload it to GitHub.com in 3 hours.

Any advice from the Community and Global Customers is appreciated, feel free to contact us via PM or info@bitmaintech.com.

Thank you!

Cgminer 3.12.0 has been uploaded, https://github.com/bitmaintech/cgminer. The latest version will be updated in 2 weeks.

A belated thank you Bitmain - but as mentioned, uploading the code using outdated software with huge security holes is not the wisest solution. Please ensure that all repos (S1, S2, & S3(+)) contain the latest cgminer software that fix the security vulnerabilities - this is very important for both the miner & the network!

Thank you for listening to the community.

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
gdale

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:02:10 PM

Hi BITMAIN.

As you're an official representative of bitmain, may I ask you to please provide the source code for your modifications to cgminer in the form of the driver for the S3. cgminer is provided under the GPL version 3 license which means you are obliged by law to provide the source code to any modifications you do if you distribute binaries and you are distributing modified cgminer binaries with every S3.

Provision of the source code would allow us to aid the development of your driver and help bring your version to sync up with the latest cgminer to derive the benefits of newer versions along with its many fixes.

Bumping this

BITMAIN - A couple questions please:

1)  Why do you continue to ignore the request by the cgminer developers to release your code as you are morally & legally required to do so under the GPLv3 License Agreement?

2)  The cgminer software that you are deploying ILLEGALLY with your software has SEVERE security flaws, including the stratum redirect issue - why are you NOT implementing the latest version to eliminate these issues?

These and other questions have been asked many times by many people across this forum, but you continue to ignore them, refusing to even comment, and by doing so you are not only breaking the law, but you are also demonstrating massive contempt towards the cgminer developers & the Open Source Community as well as creating suspicion as to your reasons/motives within the Bitcoin Community.

Until you decide to capitulate & do the honorable & legally binding - and above all, the RIGHT thing - I and others on this forum will continue to pursue a response/reply to the above questions.

I urge everyone on this forum to do the same, not only out of respect & gratitude to the cgminer developers who have given so much to the Bitcoin community FOR FREE under the GPLv3 Licensing Terms, but also to ensure the security of your own extremely vulnerable mining equipment purchased from Bitmain.

Thank you.

here is this what your looking for?
https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/blob/master/driver-bitmain.c
techman05

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 03:34:15 PM

Dear Community,

Our truly apologies for the mis-understanding reported in this Support Thread. We are very willing to share the cgminer code to the Community.
Just reviewed our internal resource again, there is a little mis-communicaton between Customer Service Team and R&D Department. We thought this task was done 3 weeks ago.. 
However, R&D Department is repacking the cgminer code and will upload it to GitHub.com in 3 hours.

Any advice from the Community and Global Customers is appreciated, feel free to contact us via PM or info@bitmaintech.com.

Thank you!

Cgminer 3.12.0 has been uploaded, https://github.com/bitmaintech/cgminer. The latest version will be updated in 2 weeks.

A belated thank you Bitmain - but as mentioned, uploading the code using outdated software with huge security holes is not the wisest solution. Please ensure that all repos (S1, S2, & S3(+)) contain the latest cgminer software that fix the security vulnerabilities - this is very important for both the miner & the network!

Thank you for listening to the community.

Have you check bitmantech.com? They have the firmware for s1 and s3 that have 3.12. I can't be sure if theres different firmware depending where you buy but its there.

I'm sure with any other fork  they can do whatever they want with it but if you want any features ckolivias has implemented they have to update their code to work with current version and request a merge with it. If you want more you need to check with kano since kano has at least work with antminer s1 code or send a miner probably to ckolivias to work with and at his discretion code for it.

Like the info address for potential tips Wink
BTC 1CL5BnNhdL2wDVmSDwMbW1cNhZew87CAPV
* http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=563
PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 04:35:47 PM

Have you check bitmantech.com?

Lulz....come on guys, get with the plan  Wink

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
Gologuzan

Activity: 161

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 06:38:07 PM

i am looking to buy this bm1382 chips.

can anyone point me in right direction?

thx everyone.
Swift75

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:18:48 AM

I am wondering when the directions will be posted or if they will be shipping with the kits to assemble the upgrade?

I have the thermal paste i am hoping that 40 1.5 gram units will be enough for the two units arriving on Monday.

I just want to be prepared and have as little down time as possible with my miners.
Pages: « 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 »
  Print  

Jump to: