Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:21:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin Is NOT Dead (It Is Just Dying A Slow Death)  (Read 28282 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 05:13:15 AM

@darkota,

So you gonna back up your claims? Or was it just all talk? Roll Eyes

Other than price speculation, please give me one reason to buy LTC over BTC.  That is why is will die a slow death.

LOL...read through the thread. There have been AMPLE reasons stated.

Anyone who actually buys Litecoin is a dumbass and as you can see since it feel over 80%, they're going to end up loosing a lot of money...It's worthless.

Yes I bought Litecoin at $0.005 each in 2012 and I have been "loosing" a lot of money since. It is "worthless".

LOL

Let's see in a year where LTC is in respect to today. Current rate is $9.50.

I'll bump this when we get there. June 24th, 2015.

I know you're lying about buying Litecoin at$0.005 each, but I'll let that go for now...

If you actually bought Litecoin at a price similar to that stated above(which you obviously didnt), then you would of sold when Litcoin hit around $2. It stalled at $2.50 for quite some time....

I know you're just fucking lying, cause if you didnt sell at $2.50, you would of sold at $10, then at $20, then at its ATH of $50.

I know you bought in litecoin around $30, no point in trying to hide that fact smoothie....

Ill bump this thread earlier than June 24th, 2015, when Litecoin hits $1 Ill be sure to bumpity bump.

Just because you lie all the time does not mean others do not, https://bitcointa.lk/threads/litecoin-is-officially-dead.331214/page-5

Nobody will sell - til we hit $100 or until we can spend it everywhere.

So which MAJOR STORES accepted Bitcoin in November 2013?  Wink

FantomCoin - to the moon:0

Ok dude, you hold your Litecoin. As I and many others have been saying since Litecoin was $50, it's only going to keep going down without going up.
Today it's $8 for a Litecoin, 2 months from now it's gonna be $5 for a Litecoin. 6 months from now it's going to be $2 per Litecoin.

People never learn...

Wanna bet that Litecoin (LTC) will be $2 each or less within 6 months?

We would use the BTC-e price to determine the outcome of this bet.

I'll do an escrowed bet for 2 BTC. Saltyspitton can be our escrow.

To be clear should the price of LTC stay at $2.00 or less for a 48 hour period anytime in the next 6 months you automatically win, otherwise I win.

Bet would end 6 months from now or if the price goes at or below $2.00 and stay there for a continuous 48 hour period.

December 24th 2014 is 6 months from now ...xmas eve.  Grin Grin Grin If you accept this it would be an awesome x-mas present. lol

Chicken? Grin Grin Grin
Put up or shut up.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 05:13:45 AM

You're just repeatedly picking at my words Smoothie. There is literally nothing I can say to you that you won't have some sort of trollish or mean spirited response for, so I am over it.

You're going back on ignore, I will continue this conversation with the more level headed Litecoin community members such as Coblee and TheMage.

LOL run Coinhoarder run! Cheesy

Be sure not to unignore me as your credibility would be in jeopardy again.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:45:34 AM

@Darkota

I don't know if you're just trolling or being serious but I will pretend it is the latter.

Why is it so hard to believe that anyone would buy LTC at $0.005 and still have them today? Some of us here are serious investors/miners and understand that shaky hands don't make great traders.

I started mining LTC from Block 1 on the day it launched with a fairly large herd since it was originally a cpu only coin. I was able to get a hold of the early scrypt gpu miner and continued to mine steady with a large (at the time) gpu farm for over a year. I mined on and off for the next year or so after that. All of this is documented across several sub forums here since late 2011 if you want to dig it up.

All in all the only LTC I have ever traded was for other alts on Cryptsy and that has been for less than 20,000 LTC over the past 13 months. I never sold at $2.00, $10.00 or $50.00 and still hold a very large amount.

I realize you're in an "Alt currency drama" at the moment but Smoothie has a rock solid history of being an avid LTC trader and investor with a 3 year history here.

Litecoin very well may be in a slump and that much I agree on, but it ain't nowhere near dead.

~BCX~

PS Here's a post in 2011 where I bought 5000 LTC for 1 BTC which was about $16.00 at the time.  Also if you will dig, you will find that Smoothie sold a video card for 25,000 LTC some where back when LTC was considered worthless.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47417.msg572107#msg572107

Do you have an exit strategy for Litecoin, in case it goes against your expectations? It has been in a downtrend for over 6 months now. At what point (time point or price point) would you sell your LTCs? Suppose, it keeps going down to $5, $3, $1? Would you sell then? Because you pose yourself as a serious investor/miner per your own words, you should have an exit strategy of some sort. Could you share it?
doo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:59:19 AM

Bitcoin, Peercoin, Namecoin..........have all been going down in the last 6 months are the all dying, no. Just because China slowed the rise of cryptos, its not the end. If anything is in really bad shape its Ripple.
devphp

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 08:02:56 AM

Do you have an exit strategy for Litecoin, in case it goes against your expectations? It has been in a downtrend for over 6 months now. At what point (time point or price point) would you sell your LTCs? Suppose, it keeps going down to $5, $3, $1? Would you sell then? Because you pose yourself as a serious investor/miner per your own words, you should have an exit strategy of some sort. Could you share it?

My "exit" strategy is to hold long. A very large majority of the LTC I have was acquired when they were worth pennies each, so like a few other long timers here even $2.00 it still represents a huge profit.

The way I look at it is, if I acquired or mined LTC when it was only bringing in $2.50 for a whole block back then and if LTC drops to $2.00 today it is still worth $100 a block, I'm still in the profit at $97.50 a block.

But considering it is worth about $450 per block at the moment, I'm still up an average of $447 per block and I can assure you I still has me a "few" blocks LOL

Strategy is very long, I'm not selling. It will comeback.

~BCX~

So, you won't sell at $2? Ok. I won't ask you about any lower numbers, like $0.50, $0.10, because I feel it would be useless at this point, since the price is not close to there.
devphp

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 08:05:46 AM

I wished I had a BTC for everytime I hear "X"coin was dead!

Back in December 2011 when BTC fell to right below $2.00 each after hitting the all time high of $36.00 the previous June, all the experts called it dead, very much in the same way those same experts are calling LTC dead.

~BCX~

That was different. But I don't want to beat a dead horse about this again Smiley
dadugan

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 08:30:42 AM

Back in December 2011 when BTC fell to right below $2.00 each after hitting the all time high of $36.00 the previous June, all the experts called it dead, very much in the same way those same experts are calling LTC dead.

~BCX~

Some of the new coins do have innovation. And the innovation is being carry to next generation coin.

Bitcoin and Litecoin have not add any new useful features for awhile, the price might keep going up for a while, but I won't hold them long term.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 09:06:14 AM

~BCX~

Some of the new coins do have innovation. And the innovation is being carry to next generation coin.

Bitcoin and Litecoin have not add any new useful features for awhile, the price might keep going up for a while, but I won't hold them long term.

Innovation does not equal acceptance or success.

The network effect is what matters. People who accept it for payment and use it to transact in is what matters.

If the protocol is sound, why does it NEED new features at this very moment and not months years down the road when those features are well tested off of the main network?

The answer is: LTC doesn't.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Saigonsmokes

Activity: 334

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 09:10:07 AM

~BCX~

Innovation does not equal acceptance or success.

The network effect is what matters. People who accept it for payment and use it to transact in is what matters.

If the protocol is sound, why does it NEED new features at this very moment and not months years down the road when those features are well tested off of the main network?

The answer is: LTC doesn't.

If it aint broke why fix it. Here is Charlies presentation from the

Charlie Lee's Litecoin presentation at BTC MIAMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le5ByHtssnc

Charlie is a really down to earth guy hey, liked the copper joke!

What is Litecoins Future - Wow. So Lite. Much Future

BitcoinExpress - I knew some of you bagholders were hiding in the shadows:)
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:54:57 PM

@darkota,

Other than price speculation, please give me one reason to buy LTC over BTC.  That is why is will die a slow death.

Anyone who actually buys Litecoin is a dumbass and as you can see since it feel over 80%, they're going to end up loosing a lot of money...It's worthless.

Yes I bought Litecoin at $0.005 each in 2012 and I have been "loosing" a lot of money since. It is "worthless".

LOL

I know you're lying about buying Litecoin at$0.005 each, but I'll let that go for now...

If you actually bought Litecoin at a price similar to that stated above(which you obviously didnt), then you would of sold when Litcoin hit around $2. It stalled at $2.50 for quite some time....

I know you're just fucking lying, cause if you didnt sell at $2.50, you would of sold at $10, then at $20, then at its ATH of $50.

I know you bought in litecoin around $30, no point in trying to hide that fact smoothie....

Ill bump this thread earlier than June 24th, 2015, when Litecoin hits $1 Ill be sure to bumpity bump.

Just because you lie all the time does not mean others do not, https://bitcointa.lk/threads/litecoin-is-officially-dead.331214/page-5

So which MAJOR STORES accepted Bitcoin in November 2013?  Wink

Ok dude, you hold your Litecoin. As I and many others have been saying since Litecoin was $50, it's only going to keep going down without going up.
Today it's $8 for a Litecoin, 2 months from now it's gonna be $5 for a Litecoin. 6 months from now it's going to be $2 per Litecoin.

People never learn...

To be clear should the price of LTC stay at $2.00 or less for a 48 hour period anytime in the next 6 months you automatically win, otherwise I win.

Bet would end 6 months from now or if the price goes at or below $2.00 and stay there for a continuous 48 hour period.

December 24th 2014 is 6 months from now ...xmas eve.  Grin Grin Grin If you accept this it would be an awesome x-mas present. lol

Chicken? Grin Grin Grin
Put up or shut up.

That's a stupid, manipulative bet. 48 hours is a long time, and I'm sure anyone with a say 40 BTC could manipulate the small Litecoin market and move the price above $2 in a minute, then itll fall again ofc. But anyway, that bet is stupid and you know it..

How about this, if Litecoin drops below $5 within the next 6 months at any time hehe. The bet is 5 BTC with escrow of TomatoCage.
Dallas5

Activity: 364

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 01:31:26 PM

needs a tl;dr:  Wink

CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 02:10:25 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2014, 06:37:32 PM by CoinHoarder

Hm, it is getting boring to me to hear the Litecoin faithful repeat the same mantras over and over, which I have refuted in detail, but none of them seem to be able to come up with a good retort. So, I will summarize here for those that may not have been following the thread. I may repeat some things I've already said, but that's just because no one has come up with a good answer for them yet. There are more half truths that they are spreading, but these seem to be the most common.

Myth #1: Trolls have called Litecoin dead before, but it hasn't happened yet, so that means it is not happening right now.

Logic Re: Myth #1: Most of the "Litecoin is dead" threads they refer to to make this point were from one to two years ago. I do agree that Litecoin was an easy choice back then to be the #2 crypto and was unlikely to die for obvious reasons. I myself defended back then. However, the dynamics of the free market have changed greatly since then. There wasn't really a good alternative to Litecoin or Bitcoin back then. Since then there have been numerous cryptos that have quicker block times, more features, more innovative proof of work protocol or alternatives, just as big of communities, and more developers. In an industry that moves as fast as cryptos are moving, you can't hold onto tired old mantras such as this when the dynamics have changed vastly. Due to rapid technological advancements, and the competition being innovative and forward thinking, companies can become obsolete very fast and I see no reason why this does not hold true with crypto currencies. When it comes to Myth #1, Litecoiners are living in the past. By the way, Smoothie hasn't figured this out yet and I guess there are probably others too, so I will explain it. The title of this thread is poking fun at the other "Litecoin is dead" threads and is a satirical hook. I thought it was a pretty catchy title myself, but maybe that's just me.

Myth #2: The Network Effect... cause just because.... The Network Effect.

Logic Re: Myth #2: I have already covered the network effect extensively in this thread and no one from the Litecoin camp seems to be able to come up with a good retort. The network effect is very powerful, however the network effect is exponentially more powerful for Bitcoin than it is for Litecoin. It is Bitcoin that is in the news all day every day, not Litecoin. Litecoin does get more attention than most other alternative crypto currencies, as they should because they are the guys to beat right now. This could change quickly, and if you read my examples of innovative companies completely killing less innovative companies, you will understand what I mean. I agree Litecoin has it's own network effect, however it is not nearly as strong as Bitcoin's network effect. Search Bitcoin in Google news and tell me how many articles pop up, then do the same for Litecoin, there will be many less articles about Litecoin. Litecoin has a small network effect that is somewhat limited within people engaged in the crypto currency community, however Bitcoin's network effect stretches much wider than that. Since Litecoin's network effect is limited somewhat to people engaged in the community, they are more likely to look at Litecoin for what it is.. Bitcoin with a few changed parameters. When it comes to Myth #2, Litecoiners are in denial.

Myth #3: Innovation does not translate into acceptance or success.

Logic Re: Myth #3: Sure, innovation doesn't equal acceptance or success on its own merits, however it certainly helps. The more innovative coins that have been released in the past year are sitting on top end of the crypto market cap list, and the cryptos that didn't are sitting at the bottom. According to Litecoiners this is purely coincidence... Furthermore, acceptance and therefore success will come for the most innovative cryptos as it is easier to determine who the leader of the pack is. Right now it is a hard decision as to what cryptocoin 2.0 protocol has the best chance for success, so payment processors and exchanges are hesitant to add them to their services (although the most forward thinking ones have already done so.) Over time this will work itself out. In the Field Of Dreams the saying goes, "if you build it they will come". I like this line of thinking when it comes to cryptos. Although they might not be widely adopted right when they come out, I believe that eventually (if there is added substance and value on top of Bitcoin/Litecoin) it is only a matter of time before the crypto community comes. (wow.. that totally didn't sound right..   Cheesy).

Myth #4: Litecoin is accepted at more merchants than other alternative currencies (as to a reason for it still being a good long term investment).

Logic Re: Myth #4: Sometimes cryptos (Litecoin or Bitcoin) are being used to transfer money and make purchases, however most users are still using them as a speculative vehicle to make money. If you really think that Litecoin is being used everywhere for ecommerce, then I have a bridge to sell you. When I had a physical crypto business I offered two ways to pay, through Paypal and through Coinpayments.net. I would venture to guesstimate that 95% of the orders were made using Paypal. The answer as to why is obvious, since cryptos have been going up in value so much over the past couple years, no one wants to spend their cryptos and would much rather use FIAT. This was only about 6 months ago, and I can guarantee you it has not changed much since then. Furthermore, the popularity of multi-coin payment processors are going to accelerate the adoption of newer innovative cryptos. As merchants demand more payment options for the convenience of their customers to receive more business, payment processors will adopt the most popular and valuable cryptos (which I am speculating will be the most innovative ones).
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 05:44:46 PM

@darkota,

LOL

So which MAJOR STORES accepted Bitcoin in November 2013?  Wink

People never learn...

December 24th 2014 is 6 months from now ...xmas eve.  Grin Grin Grin If you accept this it would be an awesome x-mas present. lol

Chicken? Grin Grin Grin
Put up or shut up.

That's a stupid, manipulative bet. 48 hours is a long time, and I'm sure anyone with a say 40 BTC could manipulate the small Litecoin market and move the price above $2 in a minute, then itll fall again ofc. But anyway, that bet is stupid and you know it..

How about this, if Litecoin drops below $5 within the next 6 months at any time hehe. The bet is 5 BTC with escrow of TomatoCage.

Looks like you are a chicken and a dumbass for claiming you KNEW I was lying about buying LTC at $0.005. LOL!!!!

Run chicken run!

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:34:04 PM

this thread is great

arguments for both sides are thick and fast

why does everyone want to change each others mind, opinions and speculation are great but no need for any one to be butthurt

live and let live

I like the charts for LTC they say volumes, LTC is doing exactly what it is meant to be doing, hang on cause its going to the moon

speculator speculating, ltc may test between 0.0135/btc and 0.015/btc before it happens

fly chicken fly

Grin
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:43:39 PM

this thread is great

arguments for both sides are thick and fast

why does everyone want to change each others mind, opinions and speculation are great but no need for any one to be butthurt

live and let live

I like the charts for LTC they say volumes, LTC is doing exactly what it is meant to be doing, hang on cause its going to the moon

speculator speculating, ltc may test between 0.0135/btc and 0.015/btc before it happens

fly chicken fly

LOL I agree.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 08:56:48 PM

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Except in this case its more like... first they laugh at you, then they fight with you, then they ignore you, then you win.
                                                                                                                         ^
                                                                                                                         |
We are here ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aricoin_Mike

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 09:13:18 PM

Simple: It has to go down to get up again. Wink
juicyjuice87

Activity: 490

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:58:05 AM

There's only so many times you can get resuscitate before your fuked
Saigonsmokes

Activity: 334

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:14:22 AM

There's only so many times you can get resuscitate before your fuked

Yes tats true DARKOTA Grin
TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:25:51 AM

Thank you for your genuine, level headed, and thorough response. It is posts such as this that I was hoping to receive instead of just getting flamed. You are setting a good example for fellow Litecoiners, and I appreciate the respectful tone in which your post was made.

You are very welcome! You deserve well thought out responses rather then the short quips and cherry picked info. Also im going to try to keep these responses shorter then before haha (I cant keep up with this thread, just way to much to go back and re-read).

I agree that security is very important, if everyone can't trust Litecoin then no one will use it. I did not mean to make it sound like I didn't think that is important, and I think perhaps I didn't word my statement properly to convey what I was trying to say. I feel that by focusing most of the development effort on improving security, that it makes it hard for the average crypto currency user to tell that Litecoin is actually being developed and improved upon. Unless they really keep up with the development updates on the Litecoin forums, they are never really going to notice or see these changes. If you open up the Litecoin client, apart from coin control, it looks about the same as it did 2 years ago featurewise. When people that are already involved in the crypto community and are looking to invest in something new, which is where I feel Litecoin has the biggest possibility to gain more users (that's how I found Litecoin,) they are going to see something that looks almost exactly similar to Bitcoin. That might not be so interesting to them as some of the newer innovative coins, and they may be less likely to invest or support Litecoin because of it.

I know that my personal opinion is that Litecoin is quite boring compared to all these new exciting projects. I feel like some of the newer projects have one-upped Bitcoin/Litecoin by adding different services and features that Bitcoin/Litecoin don't have, which makes them distinguishably different from Bitcoin. I feel like this adds perceived value or speculative value to the crypto currency, more so than a ton of security updates. If a Bitcoin clone came out today that was 100% focused on security, I would venture to say that it may not go over so well. However, if they added neat features then it adds to the perceived value, and people are more likely to invest or support the currency. Litecoin needs to alter their mixture of development efforts in my opinion to reflect this.

I also don't like the perception that people are prone to arriving at, that simply because a crypto currency is new and has new/different features than Bitcoin/Litecoin, that means it is filled with security issues. Sure, I'm certain there are some issues, but at the same time there are certainly still some vulnerabilities Bitcoin/Litecoin that will be brought to light sooner or later. Any program with as many lines of code as a crypto currency has, is likely vulnerable to security issues no matter how big the budget is and how talented the developers are. These security issues may or may not be known yet, and it may take a while for them to be uncovered, but I feel this is happening all the time. The most recent episode of the heart bleed SSL vulnerability comes to mind. As long as the developers of these new currencies are smart, careful, talented, security minded, and had a thorough security audit of their code done by a 3rd party, I don't really see the issue.

I believe it is unfair to say because something is new that it is full of security issues. It goes a long way in that most of these newer innovative currencies have not had huge security issues that would completely destroy the value of the currency. Sure, there have been some issues here and there, but nothing that would be a crippling blow in my opinion and nothing that other currencies (even Bitcoin/Litecoin) do not face themselves. I agree it is risky to jump into a new alternative currency that may have security issues, but the old saying goes "no risk no reward." Those that take the risk by adopting these currencies early might end up coming out very well (example: Nxt IPO coins).

I'll just number the paragraphs to make this easier (I hope lol)

1. Ok I might have misunderstood you. This makes more sense for what you were trying to convey. I can't really tell you exactly what the devs do, but I know security is a large part as well as im sure optimization of the code. As you know, both LTC and BTC devs work close together and making even small changes to one or the other could have significant impacts on the network (Gavin at some point stated something like this). The newer features you were trying to promote were so substantial that some of them would have required a hard fork, and others might have been scary to implement without significant testing and review. I also still consider a lot of the "innovations" gimmicks Tongue.

2. I agree with you on this point! But I think the "tried and true" method also applies here meaning the age of both coins and trust outweigh the need for gimmicks (or some that really do offer true innovation). Also remember, the real target audience is NOT people in the communities, but regular people. And regular people tend to gravitate towards safe and security (unless they have money to risk like VC's Smiley ).

3. On the topic of other coins security, I would agree. The assumption comes from more people and well known devs are participating to the BTC/LTC codebase, therefore there is more trust. Sure stuff can happen, but the chances are smaller with a larger group (I would also like to think that the more talented devs gravitate towards4 the more well known coins as well, but this is just a personal opinion).

4. I didn't claim that newer coins were more susceptible at all (in regards to you saying I said that newer coins have security issues, unless I misunderstood what you were saying).

My point with my comment was not that other coins security was bad, it was just that more time, effort, and dedication are put into security with BTC/LTC now. Smiley

I see what you are saying in terms of different types of investors, however I think you are over-generalizing the different types of crypto investors. I would say there are at least four types of investors:

1. Long term risk adverse investors (Bitcoin/Litecoin)
2. Long term risk prone investors (DCorps/Cryptocoin 2.0s/Etc.)
3. Short term investors (pump and dumpers, but don't forget day traders as well)
4. Savvy investors whom spread the risk around inbetween Bitcoin/Litecoin and DCorps/Cryptocoin 2.0s/Etc.

This is a matter of opinion, but I feel that you have the bolded statement backwards. I currently look at Bitcoin/Litecoin as a short term investment, and the newer currencies as a long term investment. Many Bitcoiners will admit that some of these newer currencies have more bells and whistles than Bitcoin, and the only thing keeping Bitcoin on top is the network effect and perhaps the venture capital that is flowing in (which is not really the case for Litecoin when it comes to VCs.) I feel like as the public finds out about crypto currencies and educates themselves about them, the network effect will slowly lose its stranglehold on the industry, and users will look for currencies that have improved upon Bitcoin greatly. Bitcoin itself is not invulnerable to being dethroned, and I feel like Litecoin is in the same boat. If Bitcoin doesn't continue to improve itself and adapt, it may very well find itself as the #2 crypto someday. Luckily they have one thing going for them that Litecoin doesn't, in that there are several Bitcoin 2.0 protocols being built on top of Bitcoin, which could support its value in this case.

I did overgeneralize a bit, I should have said two "main" types, then a mix between the two in various ways. But your list looks good to me.

Interesting...you see LTC and BTC as short term investments and others as long term? This seems kind of backwards....but I can understand in a way (this would be the number 4 of your above im guessing?).

As for the rest of your statements, lets agree to disagree at this point. I dont think anything I can say to you or vice versa can change each others minds. Smiley Sure all that stuff could happen, but I personally dont see it happening.

There are many other coins with strong communities, I don't really see this as an argument for Litecoin. I would venture to say that some of the newer communities are stronger in terms of the amount of developers involved. For example, it is rumored that Ethereum literally attracted something like 500 developers almost over night, and there are a ton of projects in the works. I think a community full of developers (like Bitcoin) is more important than a community of marketers and promoters. I can't believe I'm quoting this, but in the Field Of Dreams the saying goes, "if you build it they will come". I like this line of thinking when it comes to cryptos. Although they might not be widely adopted right when they come out, I think eventually if there is added substance and value on top of Bitcoin/Litecoin, that it is only a matter of time before the crypto community comes. (wow.. that totally didn't sound right..  Cheesy)

I also feel like whether an alternative coin is directly helping with Bitcoin development or not, everyone is helping with Bitcoin development by default (assuming their projects are open source.) I look at alternative crypto currencies as a playground for developers to try out new things and ideas, and if something is truly innovative, then Bitcoin now has a road map as to how to integrate this into Bitcoin by looking over the code. The same could be said about Litecoin, but the problem with that is the development team is extremely small when compared to Bitcoin's development team. Furthermore, Litecoin's development team's budget is quite small in comparison to Bitcoin, and they would likely need a bigger team to make some of these changes. This is one thing that annoyed me about Litecoin is that there are some people sitting on huge piles of coins (no different from Bitcoin or any other coin for that matter), that are not contributing to the development fund or involved with the community. I know you are not one of those people, so don't take that the wrong way.

1. There is also core infrastructure being build for LTC, such as Electrum and the new multi coin wallet Hive. For Litecoin, right now we need to spread mass adoption with the general public, so these tool will help a tremendous amount. (and lol yes that didnt sound right Cheesy).

2. I agree, new alts (even the pumps and dumps) do have their place in the entire eco system! But thats a much longer thread for me lol. And if BTC ever adopted anything, im pretty sure LTC will do the same as well. And yes I know that there are huge whales that contribute nothing to help. With that said, I have hinted at this before, but I actually own very little LTC or crypto in general. I do what I do because I believe in the cause! (and no im not kidding, I really dont have that much).

Definitely, I think every crypto is vulnerable to becoming irrelevant. This is the wild west, things are developing very quickly, and anything can certainly happen in the future. One month in the crypto world is like 1 year in most industries. I am shocked at how quickly things are coming along, it is frankly very hard to keep track of everything although I do my best.

Agreed and understood, but I still believe that the phase BTC and LTC are in (general population adoption) is the most critical at this point Smiley.

1. As of now there are also 100s of different block chains as a "back up". This might of been more correct 2 years ago, but now there are many back ups that arent simply copy and paste coins. So, I don't see this as an argument for specifically Litecoin.. it is more of an argument for alternative crypto currencies in general.
2. I'd like to make the same point here as I did in #1, as there are a lot of currencies that didn't copy and paste available or in development today. Again, I feel like this statement might of been more correct 1 to 2 years ago (and still applies today to the pump and dumpers) when it was mostly copy and paste coins being released. Today it is very different. There are so many cryptos that did not copy and paste, that I will probably never use or learn about them all. It is the sad reality, but I think that is a good problem to have. The alternative currency movement has come a long ways in the past 1 to 2 years, and people are moving more from pump and dump coins to coins that are actually innovative. Some more than others, but nonetheless I feel it is a step in the right direction.
3. I agree with you.
4. I agree Litecoin had a fair launch, but I no longer consider this a feature. As stated in the OP, this is just common sense. During the flurry of copy and paste coins I think this point was hammered home to developers and now we are seeing much more fair releases of coins. I haven't brought up this argument before, but it is something I've been thinking about.. I would venture to say that some of the newer cryptos being fairly released today will have a much better distribution than Bitcoin/Litecoin due to the fact that the community has grown a lot over the years. There are more people around that are more likely to go mine a new coin than there was 2-3 years ago. I feel like we've yet to see the most fairly released currency, as it will come well after cryptos are more widely adopted for this reason. I will admit that when you look at Litecoin's distribution compared to Bitcoin, you guys look like saints. In Bitcoin, there is far too large of a percentage of available coins in a small percentage of people's pockets.
5. I don't buy the "trusted brand" argument for making Litecoin a good long term investment. As you can tell, I think even Bitcoin is prone to irrelevancy and they are the most trusted out of all the cryptos. You have a point about the volume of Litecoin, and I agree that is definitely a good thing it has going for it. I think this dynamic is likely to change overtime though as the newer most innovative coins separate themselves from the rest, and it is likely that one or two of those coins will also be used for arbitrage (they are already to a smaller extent.) High volume is a good thing for cryptos as it allows people to sell and buy without affecting the price too horribly, so I will concede a point to you here. I just think that it is very possible that could change down the road. I'm pretty sure people are programming bots for just about every crypto by the way, as some of the lesser used cryptos will have the most opportunity due to there being more competition with other bots in Bitcoin/Litecoin. For example, if you picked a lesser known coin with decent volume, it makes sense to me that this could be more profitable due to the lack of competition. This is why I never got into day trading... its hard to compete with bots haha, those things pissed me off when they'd always come in and instantly outbid or underbid me by one Satoshi.  Lips sealed

1. Correct there are a ton of other blockchains, but not many with the seniority or dare I say security that BTC and LTC have (I should mention, that im also sure people have reviewed the code over the years for vulnerabilities, so with that assumption BTC and LTC should be more secure).
2. While I dont follow all the alts, it still "feels" like more pump and dumps are released then original code bases. But with that said, there are more original stuff coming out than before. So half and half agree and disagree lol.
3. Good Cheesy
4. I agree
5. I agree as well lol, except I still believe LTC is a more trusted brand. You can't agree to number 3 without agreeing about this point as well Wink.

OMG im so sorry but I dont have it in me to respond to the rest right now lol. So much work to do so little time. But im glad we can come to a consensus with a number of points and happily agree to disagree on others. Regardless of whatever bad blood you and some other members you may have, you are always welcome to come back to the community and participate. I hopefully will have more time tomorrow to check out the rest of the post Smiley.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: