Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:03:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ORA:: Development discussion thread  (Read 13384 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
old fart

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

Bitcoin is the future

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:00:42 PM

There were a lot of people who disagreed with the decision to call a coin lightcoin when litecoin already existed. I can see how easily it could lead to confusion.

[ IQ ]           cash                           THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
                           ⚫   t e l e g r a m   ⚫   f a c e b o o k   ⚫   t w i t t e r                         
[ LISTING ON : P2P [ P ] B2B ]  ◾  Discovering millionaires’ secret with IQ.cash

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:50:06 AM

I just wanted to welcome the LOVELY NEW DEV in helping with the KORA DIRECTIVE..I may not be a nerd at all but this coin will shine. Smiley

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
DarkhorseofNxt

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:34:25 AM

Starfish organisations are decentralised & regenerative, so they are very lean & simple, but highly effective, and almost impossible to defeat.

That is IT, a starfish!

initial sketch for logo

Very nice idea for a logo IMO.

I agree 100% The starfish shape also reminds me of a cog in a machine, so that shape says "organic decentralised machine" to me, which is pretty cool Smiley

I agree, I love the logo - it is like a cog from nature! Great job gvans!

Gvans - while they are discussing on the names etc, how about you play a little with the starfish. Maybe borders? Give 2 colours. Not like "shell" logo, but something professional looking colors/ corporate colors. Stuff like that. Play around with it. You will find something better than this current one.

gvans

Activity: 281

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 10:08:25 PM

Gvans - while they are discussing on the names etc, how about you play a little with the starfish. Maybe borders? Give 2 colours. Not like "shell" logo, but something professional looking colors/ corporate colors. Stuff like that. Play around with it. You will find something better than this current one.

Rather busy atm but will try something later on Wink

BTC 1Mye3mqB9WQdCj3uFwx6zcRArnzbUiq6Ro  ★ [NXT] NXT-RA49-RXFR-V6WE-97HT9
★ [ORA] LOGO  ★ [NEM] LOGO  ★ [NXT] MONOLITH  ★ [EXO] LOGO  ★ [FIMK] LOGO  ★ [NODE] LOGO
dadingsda
Legendary

Activity: 1310
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 10:30:52 PM

Rather busy atm but will try something later on Wink

Great!

ps: Nice work so far

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
Anna!

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:24:24 AM

Hey what about these.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hqdxssoukx0p62b/korastarfish.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/fqf0b1tdgh626or/BD.png
hypersire

Activity: 596
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 09:04:37 AM

The second one looks too much like some sort of religious symbol.

I like the simplicity of the original.
Spayse

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:39:02 AM

Hey what about these.

This logo is nice design. I'm very like it.

[EAGS] EagsCurrency - Be Part of Something New with Unique Plans! - Get your Free Share Now! - ends Jan. 27
DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:10:33 PM

I didnt mean this. A border around the starfish so it can be seen if its a small logo. The border between white and orange cant be seen sometimes.

DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:48:00 PM

Lesson to be learned :

https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/price-speculation/5480/

A stakeholder in Nxt got robbed 1170 btc and 6 mil nxt today. Totalling almost usd 1,000,000.

Dear nio,

I hope security will be the utmost priority during this coins development.

nioccoin

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:41:32 PM

Lesson to be learned :

A stakeholder in Nxt got robbed 1170 btc and 6 mil nxt today. Totalling almost usd 1,000,000.

Dear nio,

https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/price-speculation/msg62453/#msg62453

Just based on this info, there may have been some poor defensive measures in play.  Too bad for KLee though.  Hi KLee, wherever you are, whoever you are, my condolences.

Security is a project risk.  For NXT, this does not seem to be a systemic problem with their code, though I will withhold judgement until more details emerge.  A few months ago I read an article that something like 5% of all bitcoin has been stolen, since bitcoin's inception.  Doesn't seem like much, but 5% of today's market cap is big money.  Big money attracts scoundrels.  Unlike in the real world, in the virtual world, the bad guys don't get caught.  There is no downside to stealing cryptocoins.  In the real world, if 5% of something was stolen, at least some would be recovered, and perhaps most of it.
So here is where we are at.  The world hasn't changed.  There are still no less thieves than there were hundreds of years ago.  But the methods have changed.

In some respects, the very things we all like about cryptos are its very weaknesses.  No regulation?  Great, until an exchange like mt gox, or sharex disappears with your coins.

Anonymity?  That's great, until you realize how trivial it is for someone to fence stolen coins.  In the old days, you steal some jewels, and you have to follow a protocol to unload them.  The greatest disincentive to the thief is 10M in jewels is only worth 1M, or much less.  Still an enticement, but nobody is going to pay full price for their hot goods.  But crypto currency?  You get FULL PRICE on the market, because the same anonymity that protects you, also protects the bad guys.

In other words, cryptocurrencies are natively "bearer instruments", just like cash.  But like credit card numbers, they allow someone to steal a huge amount all at once off of a database server.  Cryptocoins are essentially cash.  If you have a 100 quid, do you parade down the street and wave it around like a flag?  No.  You hide it in your sock, or put it in your pocket, or your wallet, or whatever.  With money and other valuables, the first instinct is to hide or otherwise protect it.

Security begins in the planning phase, not in the development phase.  I hear developers all the time who say "let's add in some security to the product."  Sorry, but if you already have a product that is more than 50% finished, your chances of making it secure are slim to none.  Better to start over.

What separates Kora from most other coins is that we are putting in place a formal and public project plan.  Most coins only open-source their code.  We are going a step further.  To put it differently, we are "crowd-sourcing" our project assumptions, project risks, and candidate solutions, so that the community - you - can help strengthen Kora with your input and ideas.  And like your instinct to protect your quid, or your yuan, or your dollar, Kora's first instinct is to guard stakeholder value.  I have some ideas on how to "build security in" to Kora.  Undoubtedly you do to, and that is what this thread is for.

When the plan is released, and the community sees it, it will be vetted.  My hope is it will be torn to shreds, and have every assumption and candidate solution scrutinized for error.  Ultimately, isn't it better that the plan is shredded and problems are ironed out, than to have the coin itself scrutinized, when it is too late to fix the errors?  It's easier to change the blueprint than the building.

You don't have to wait for the project plan.  Feel free to chime in now on what you think are security issues with crypto, and any ideas on how they can be solved.  I will then add them to the plan.  Since this is a crucial topic, let's keep the *formal* discussion open for a few days, and collect ideas.  We will always do our best to respond to criticisms and ideas throughout Kora's lifetime.
Many of you probably own coins, and some of you own a great many coins, or perhaps a great volume of one coin.  Maybe you have concerns about the weaknesses in those other coins.  Let's hear them!

kind regards,
nio
DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 05:03:26 PM

Is it possible to integrate 2FA with wallet?

Kora (OP)

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:57:29 AM

Lesson to be learned :

Dear nio,

https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/price-speculation/msg62453/#msg62453

Just based on this info, there may have been some poor defensive measures in play.  Too bad for KLee though.  Hi KLee, wherever you are, whoever you are, my condolences.

Security is a project risk.  For NXT, this does not seem to be a systemic problem with their code, though I will withhold judgement until more details emerge.  A few months ago I read an article that something like 5% of all bitcoin has been stolen, since bitcoin's inception.  Doesn't seem like much, but 5% of today's market cap is big money.  Big money attracts scoundrels.  Unlike in the real world, in the virtual world, the bad guys don't get caught.  There is no downside to stealing cryptocoins.  In the real world, if 5% of something was stolen, at least some would be recovered, and perhaps most of it.
So here is where we are at.  The world hasn't changed.  There are still no less thieves than there were hundreds of years ago.  But the methods have changed.

In some respects, the very things we all like about cryptos are its very weaknesses.  No regulation?  Great, until an exchange like mt gox, or sharex disappears with your coins.

Anonymity?  That's great, until you realize how trivial it is for someone to fence stolen coins.  In the old days, you steal some jewels, and you have to follow a protocol to unload them.  The greatest disincentive to the thief is 10M in jewels is only worth 1M, or much less.  Still an enticement, but nobody is going to pay full price for their hot goods.  But crypto currency?  You get FULL PRICE on the market, because the same anonymity that protects you, also protects the bad guys.

In other words, cryptocurrencies are natively "bearer instruments", just like cash.  But like credit card numbers, they allow someone to steal a huge amount all at once off of a database server.  Cryptocoins are essentially cash.  If you have a 100 quid, do you parade down the street and wave it around like a flag?  No.  You hide it in your sock, or put it in your pocket, or your wallet, or whatever.  With money and other valuables, the first instinct is to hide or otherwise protect it.

Security begins in the planning phase, not in the development phase.  I hear developers all the time who say "let's add in some security to the product."  Sorry, but if you already have a product that is more than 50% finished, your chances of making it secure are slim to none.  Better to start over.

What separates Kora from most other coins is that we are putting in place a formal and public project plan.  Most coins only open-source their code.  We are going a step further.  To put it differently, we are "crowd-sourcing" our project assumptions, project risks, and candidate solutions, so that the community - you - can help strengthen Kora with your input and ideas.  And like your instinct to protect your quid, or your yuan, or your dollar, Kora's first instinct is to guard stakeholder value.  I have some ideas on how to "build security in" to Kora.  Undoubtedly you do to, and that is what this thread is for.

When the plan is released, and the community sees it, it will be vetted.  My hope is it will be torn to shreds, and have every assumption and candidate solution scrutinized for error.  Ultimately, isn't it better that the plan is shredded and problems are ironed out, than to have the coin itself scrutinized, when it is too late to fix the errors?  It's easier to change the blueprint than the building.

You don't have to wait for the project plan.  Feel free to chime in now on what you think are security issues with crypto, and any ideas on how they can be solved.  I will then add them to the plan.  Since this is a crucial topic, let's keep the *formal* discussion open for a few days, and collect ideas.  We will always do our best to respond to criticisms and ideas throughout Kora's lifetime.
Many of you probably own coins, and some of you own a great many coins, or perhaps a great volume of one coin.  Maybe you have concerns about the weaknesses in those other coins.  Let's hear them!

kind regards,
nio

Thanks for a great post nio!!

I've had a few minor dealings with Klee in the past (not using this 'Kora' account though), and I always found him to be a very constructive and honest guy with a very advanced appreciation of the power of a decentralised 'community'. I was actually unable to sleep last night for thinking about his situation, and on a human level it is truly devastating and I send him all the good vibes I can from a distance. NXT owes a lot to Klee, and I hope he can rise above this personal tragedy.

As for security, one thing I like about my bank account is I have a maximum daily withdrawal limit on my account of 5K, so if my account was compromised the attacker could only get 5K per day until I realised. If I want to withdraw more than 5K I have to call my bank and authorise that over the phone. I also like that for a transfer to a new account I need to receive and then enter a code using my mobile phone. Those two features, withdrawal limit & 2FA for new accounts transfers, limit my paranoia about online banking to some degree.

With crypto I would like the ability to freeze some crypto coins in a 'term deposit' type structure where they couldn't be moved for X period of time. For a POS coin if you could 'withdraw freeze' your savings for a few months, then you really could leave your PC on and forge 24/7 without too much stress about having your PC hacked. Having your account pass-phrase in RAM while you forge always worries me.

DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:31:17 AM

Ideas

1. Limit daily transfer set by user. X exceeding certain amount need more confirmation or extra security measures.

2. "Lock" balance. If you are planning not to use the funds for some time, lock it and to unlock it must follow steps from step 1 (extra security measure)

# extra security measure is what we need to think about, verification by email or mobile? Then will it still be called decentralization since now you can be tracked with email or mobile.number? Something to think about.

beckham

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:42:13 AM

any update now?
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:46:07 AM

kora to the stars and beyond

~CfA~

Neo.op

Activity: 1092
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 10:17:03 AM

A simple multisig implementation to start with. I am not sure but I thought that feature alone has the ability to stop many attacks. Even after BTC implementing, other coins seem to be dragging their feet.

LYR▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓▓████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▄
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄████▓▓▓▓████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▄▓▓███████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▄▓▓█████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████████▄███
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀███▄
▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▓▓▓█████
▓▓▓▓▓██████▓▓▓▓█████
▓▓▓▓██████▄▄▄▄▄██████
▓▓▓██████████████████
▓▓███████████████████
██████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████
 ██████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████
██████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████
LYRA  Loyalty Rewards on Blockchain
══════════════════════[ Main Features ]══════════════════════
Customizable tokens ███NFT███ DeFi███ DEX███ Revenue share
schnötzel
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1041

Bitcoin is a bit**

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:19:43 AM

Ideas

1. Limit daily transfer set by user. X exceeding certain amount need more confirmation or extra security measures.

2. "Lock" balance. If you are planning not to use the funds for some time, lock it and to unlock it must follow steps from step 1 (extra security measure)

# extra security measure is what we need to think about, verification by email or mobile? Then will it still be called decentralization since now you can be tracked with email or mobile.number? Something to think about.

1+2 This would be awesome! Great idea.

#extra security: If it´s optional, why not.
cryptonikus

Activity: 595

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:12:13 AM

those logos, seriously...

▄███████████████▄
       ▄██▀             ▀██▄
    ▄▄██▀                 ▀██▄▄
█████▀▀       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄    ▀▀█████
██          ▄▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▀█▄▄      ██
▐█▌       ▄▀ ▄▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▀███   ▐█▌
 ██      ▄▀▄▀▄▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀█ ▄█▀   ██
 ▐█▌    █▄▀▄▀▄█▀▀▀ ▀█▀ ▄▀▄▀█   ▐█▌
  ██    █▄▀▄▀▄▄█▀ ▄▀ ▄▀▄▀▄▀█   ██
  ▐█▌ ▀▄█████▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀█  ▐█▌
   ██▌▀████▀██▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▀ ▐██
    ██▌▀█▀▀█▄▀▀▄▀▀▄▄▀▄█▄▄█▀ ▐██
     ██▌ ▀  ▀███▄▄▄█████▀  ▐██
      ██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀      ▄██
       ▀██▄             ▄██▀
         ▀██▄         ▄██▀
           ▀██▄     ▄██▀
             ▀███▄███▀
               ▀███▀
.DeepOnion.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★  .❱❱❱ JOIN AIRDROP NOW!.
TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED
★  Your Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Your Assets Secured by TOR
★  Guard Your Privacy!
|Bitcointalk
Reddit
Telegram
|                        ▄▄▀▄▄▀▄▄▀▄▀▀
                    ▄▄██▀█▀▄▀▀▀
                  ▄██▄█▄██▀
                ▄██████▀
              ▄██████▀
  ▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
██████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀
 ▀█████  ▄███████
  ████████████▀██
  ██▀███████▀  ██
  ██ ▀████▀    ██
  ██   ▀▀      ██
  ▀█████████████▀
feina24h

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:22:22 PM

those logos, seriously...

i am having the same feeling about those logos.....

Fair Launch, No Premine and Active Devs = Logicoin
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: