Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:19:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my BFL Single today and I'm raffling it away for 0.5BTC!  (Read 29269 times)
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 12:34:31 AM

I will not post anything inflammatory for 72 hours.

Can we raffle this?

(going into a coma would not count)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 12:40:36 AM

Thread updated.

Rules for normal participation (IMPORTANT!)
  • Click the image above
  • Purchase any number of raffle entries you would like.
  • Provide a valid e-mail address that you do not mind sharing publicly.

Rules for referrals (IMPORTANT!)
  • Provide your e-mail address to a referral
  • When they purchase their raffle credits, they will receive an additional 5% credit for each credit they purchase.
  • You will receive an additional 25% credit for each credit purchased through the referral.

Referral example:

You purchase 1 credit. You now have 1 raffle credit.
    Friend 1 purchases 1 credit through your referral e-mail.
    You now have 1.25 raffle credits. Friend 1 now has 1.05 raffle credits.
    Friend 2 purchases 3 credits through your referral e-mail.
    You now have 2 raffle credits. Friend 2 now has 3.15 raffle credits.

Deadline (IMPORTANT!)

A winner will be chosen 7 days from today's date and contacted through the e-mail address the provided at the time of entry.

The winner be chosen in conjunction with random numbers provided by random.org across a spreadsheet of raffle credits.

the evil genius strikes again, well done Matt Smiley
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 12:48:19 AM

I will not post anything inflammatory for 72 hours.

Can we raffle this?

(going into a coma would not count)

Sure- if I win this raffle, I will raffle off my silence for 72 hours.

Although that is going to cost Matthew the glowing review... I'm not a cheap whore you know, just a whore.
cyberlync

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 12:53:55 AM

aaaand I'm out again. If it's too good to be true, It'll probably get edited later.

Giving away your BTC's? Send 'em here: 1F7XgercyaXeDHiuq31YzrVK5YAhbDkJhf
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 01:14:10 AM

Are you sure the winner isn't going to be announced in 4-6 weeks?

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:16:15 AM

aaaand I'm out again. If it's too good to be true, It'll probably get edited later.

Quote it for truth then. Nothing will change. I'm not Atlas.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 01:28:53 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2012, 11:13:12 PM by deepceleron

• A winner will be chosen 7 days from today's date and contacted through the e-mail address they provided at the time of entry.
  • The winner will be chosen in conjunction with random numbers provided by random.org across a spreadsheet of raffle credits.
This method cannot be independently verified.
  • There can be false unpaid entries (even with payment verified on blockchain, they can be paid in by the organizer to himself).
  • The winning ticket selection method cannot be seen or verified by all outside parties.

I can at least solve the second part. The bitcoin blockchain contains lots of completely random hashes that are NSA-recommended as unreversible, not predetermined, outside control of any one party, and published publicly.

Here is my recommended method to declare winning ticket numbers of any forum lottery:

1. Publish block# to determine winner. For this lottery's timeline, block 171420 (~8 days from now) after 120 confirmations could be the one to determine the winner (block 170267 used in example below),
2. Disclose ticket numbers (spreadsheet) beforehand (start at 0, list forum IDs, etc), allow all entrants to see they are present in list and that there are no mystery entries nobody can account for.
3. Determine total number of tickets at entrance cutoff time (lets say 711 in this example),
4. The random data to be used from the block will be the last 10 digits of the hash,
5. The winning ticket number will be determined by the modulo (remainder) function [python = math.fmod(int("hash_last_10", 16), num_of_entries)]. Winning number as output by Win7 x32 calculator if any disputes of solution.

Here is how to independently determine the winner with no programming on Windows calculator (fixed):
  • Verify the block hash from two independent sources (ideally one being your local blockchain),
  • Open Windows Calculator. Select View->Programmer. Select "Hex" radio button,
  • Paste last 10 digits of hash into calculator (73ef1acb71 in block 170267 in this example),
  • Press "Dec" radio button to convert to decimal (497932749681)
  • Press "Mod",
  • Enter number of tickets (711)
  • Press =
  • (If the list of ticket numbers started at ticket #1 instead of ticket #0, add 1)
  • See winner (example winning ticket number is #276)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:30:44 AM

• A winner will be chosen 7 days from today's date and contacted through the e-mail address they provided at the time of entry.
  • The winner will be chosen in conjunction with random numbers provided by random.org across a spreadsheet of raffle credits.
  • There can be false unpaid entries (even with payment verified on blockchain, they can be paid in by the organizer to himself).
  • The winning ticket selection method cannot be seen or verified by all outside parties.

I can at least solve the second part. The bitcoin blockchain contains lots of completely random hashes that are NSA-recommended as unreversible, not predetermined, outside control of any one party, and published publicly.

Here is my recommended method to declare winning ticket numbers of any forum lottery:

1. Publish block# to determine winner. For this lottery's timeline, block 171420 (~8 days from now) after 120 confirmations could be the one to determine the winner (block 170267 used in example below),
2. Disclose ticket numbers (spreadsheet) beforehand (start at 0, list forum IDs, etc), allow all entrants to see they are present in list and that there are no mystery entries nobody can account for.
3. Determine total number of tickets at entrance cutoff time (lets say 711 in this example),
4. The random data to be used from the block will be the last 10 digits of the hash,
5. The winning ticket number will be determined by the modulo (remainder) function [python = math.fmod(int(hash_last_10, 16), num_of_entries)]. Winning number as output by Win7 x32 calculator if any disputes of solution.

Here is how to independently determine the winner with no programming on Windows calculator:
  • Verify the block hash from two independent sources (ideally one being your local blockchain),
  • Paste last 10 digits of hash into calculator (73ef1acb71 in block 170267 in this example),
  • Press "Mod",
  • Press =
  • See winner (example winning ticket number is #141)

Anyone have any objections to this?

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:32:22 AM

5. The winning ticket number will be determined by the modulo (remainder) function [python = math.fmod(int(hash_last_10, 16), num_of_entries)]. Winning number as output by Win7 x32 calculator if any disputes of solution.

Here is how to independently determine the winner with no programming on Windows calculator:
  • Press "Mod",
  • Press =

You forgot:
add 1 to mod result unless you numbered tickets starting with 0

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 01:39:19 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2012, 02:07:05 AM by deepceleron

You forgot:
add 1 to mod result unless you numbered tickets starting with 0
I just updated the post, the example result 141 was in hex, you must convert it back to decimal = 321. I do specify the first ticket is #0. Another oops with the calculator procedure is that you'd be entering the number of tickets in hex, which gives wrong results if you input decimal, I'll fix that too.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:40:44 AM

I see that now... at least I helped you catch something Wink.

bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:41:22 AM

• Press "Mod",
  • Press =

Anyone have any objections to this?

The issue I see is that the bonus program you laid out issues fractions of entries. Are only full entries counted towards the draw? (ie 1.05=1, 1.85=1, 2.05=0, etc)
notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:44:54 AM

The issue I see is that the bonus program you laid out issues fractions of entries. Are only full entries counted towards the draw? (ie 1.05=1, 1.85=1, 2.05=0, etc)

This could be solved by multiplying all ticket amounts by 100.

draco49

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 01:55:14 AM

Good point.  I think a user's final entry count will be turned into a weighted number for the purpose of the drawing.  Some clarification on this would be appreciated Smiley

Use me as your referral, draco49@tormail.net, and if I win I'll pay everyone who used my referral their 0.50BTC back.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:57:45 AM

Aww piss, I post the first response, step out for a meeting, and then Matthew turns it into a raffle. Fuck this shit, I'm out.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:02:47 AM

Use me as your referral, draco49@tormail.net, and if I win I'll pay everyone who used my referral their 0.50BTC back.

How are you going to verify that?

deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 02:04:28 AM

Anybody want to make a javascript page to do the ticket-picker math I specify above? I'll try it if no genius can whip one up in minutes, I'd like to make sure many/any method can arrive at same answer for winner.

Input 1: Last 10 of hash (10 digits hexidecimal)
Input 2: Number of entries (base10 decimal)
Input 3: Do ticket numbers start at 0? (yes = 0, no = 1)
Output 1: Input 1 % Input 2 + Input 3

Aww piss, I post the first response, step out for a meeting, and then Matthew turns it into a raffle. Fuck this shit, I'm out.
Right?? I was ready to hit send and buy that 0.5BTC BFL single!
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:06:35 AM

following
Ferroh

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:14:40 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2012, 02:36:50 AM by Ferroh

You're not giving them away, you're selling raffles for them in a pyramid gambling scheme, where we don't know how many raffles are sold and therefore what our odds of winning are.

It is mildly depressing that the majority of the bitcoin community:

• Jumps on this idea with wild excitement, with apparently no consideration of why it might be a bad idea to buy into this.
  • Discusses stuff like this in a forum where the "im in LETS DO THIS LOL!" posts can't be downvoted so that the "um guys, this is a pyramid/gambling scheme" comments get buried. (I'm looking forward to new forum software.)
notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:15:08 AM

Anybody want to make a javascript page to do the ticket-picker math I specify above? I'll try it if no genius can whip one up in minutes, I'd like to make sure many/any method can arrive at same answer for winner.

Input 1: Last 10 of hash (10 digits hexidecimal)
Input 2: Number of entries (base10 decimal)
Input 3: Do ticket numbers start at 0? (yes = 0, no = 1)
Output 1: Input 1 % Input 2 + Input 3

Right?? I was ready to hit send and buy that 0.5BTC BFL single!

http://pastebin.com/6LqsUgUg

Address is in signature if you want to say thanks.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: