Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:47:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you consider purchasing a Mini-Rig?
Will definitely purchase
May purchase
Unlikely
This miner doesn't belong here...

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini-Rig from Butterflylabs  (Read 21127 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:11:09 PM

Given the rig box as specified requires 2 power supplies and multiple boards I never understood the reason for making it a single unit.

50.4 GH/s @ 2500W requiring two powersupplies for $30K
vs
25 GH/s @ 1200W requiring a single powersupply for $15K

Just make the "smaller" one and sell two to the people who ordered the "original rigbox".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jothan

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:24:52 PM

Another idea is to have a blade-like rack in which you put in compute units. It would be possible to buy the base box for ~5000$ with a few units and then add other cards as needed.

Of course, this makes cooling quite a bit more difficult, but it would lower the barrier to entry by quite a bit.

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
awigaxeh-443

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:28:42 PM

lmao they already doing that with singles
trouserless

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:31:26 PM

Another idea is to have a blade-like rack in which you put in compute units. It would be possible to buy the base box for ~5000$ with a few units and then add other cards as needed.

Of course, this makes cooling quite a bit more difficult, but it would lower the barrier to entry by quite a bit.

+1 this would be ideal for this product.  Right-size for all (serious) budgets.  They don't need to be hot-plug and would allow for mixed generations of FPGA boards in the future.  Of course this means more R&D into the "chassis" which would mean we won't see if for some time...
Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 09:47:18 PM

15k aren't change, but I would probably find a way to fork them over for that kind of hashing power and electric efficiency. The Rig Box was something that I wouldn't have considered buying very soon due to a high cost to pay all at once, not to mention the power draw - a bit high for my currently available circuits.

I also subscribe to the blade rack idea presented above - the more modular the better.
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 09:50:41 PM

You need to design something that is below 1500w current draw, so it can be used on a normal household circuit. With the 5x more power usage per hash than your original specification, "rigbox" can't be plugged into anything beyond a specialized circuit with a high-amperage nema plug.
Agreed.  If you're going to use a 240 volt line you might as well run the full Rigbox.  1500 watts is too close to constantly tripping breakers on a standard 15 amp circuit.  1200 watts would be ideal.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 09:51:59 PM

Just make the "smaller" one and sell two to the people who ordered the "original rigbox".

I would be OK with this for my pervious orders of the rig box.
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 09:59:05 PM

I was already wondering when this would come up.

1650W max @ 110V, otherwise I can't place it anywhere.

simonk83

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 10:02:55 PM

Yep, this is a better idea than the full rigbox I reckon.   As already mentioned, better two of these with dedicated power supplies than 1 big box that requires 2 PSU's.

I'd be interested Smiley
Pipesnake
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 10:08:43 PM

1650 is too much on a standard household circuit.  Unless you have properly installed (and new wiring) with NOTHING else on the circuit it's going to trip multiple times per day.  1500 is definitely the max.  1200-1250 would be the perfect amount and leave enough of a cushion in case you accidentally place a fan or tv on the same circuit.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 11:34:28 PM

1650 is too much on a standard household circuit.  Unless you have properly installed (and new wiring) with NOTHING else on the circuit it's going to trip multiple times per day.  1500 is definitely the max.  1200-1250 would be the perfect amount and leave enough of a cushion in case you accidentally place a fan or tv on the same circuit.
Technically, a 15 amp circuit supports a max of 1800 watts - but that is the "burst" rating, and must be reduced (derated)  to 80% of that for continuous loads. Therefore, 1440 watts continuous maximum.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pipesnake
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 11:38:04 PM

Technically, a 15 amp circuit supports a max of 1800 watts - but that is the "burst" rating, and must be reduced (derated)  to 80% of that for continuous loads. Therefore, 1440 watts continuous maximum.
I concur.  That's why 1200-1250 is ideal.  Leaves room for less-than-optimum wiring and or sub-standard circuits and/or something accidentally getting plugged in on the circuit (most people don't know exactly what outlet goes to which circuit -- unless you built or wired your own house).

Nousplatform Youtube     
CleverMiner

Activity: 66

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 12:24:03 AM

I'd hope your PSUs are user replaceable ATX psu.

Some server PSU are great for the price but they're harder to find.

I'd definitively get one at 15k
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 12:34:14 AM

I'd hope your PSUs are user replaceable ATX psu.

Some server PSU are great for the price but they're harder to find.

I'd definitively get one at 15k

They have decided to go with 1500w ATX PSUs from what Inaba said....

BFL-Engineer, can you confirm this?
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 03:35:32 AM

why dont you worry about just getting the singles out not all of us have them yet that ordered them
agreed! i've ordered a month ago and not a single email.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 03:52:19 AM

So I'm guessing, based on the figures quoted, that those of you considering this have a price target of over $10/BTC ?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
triplehelix

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 03:58:22 AM

So I'm guessing, based on the figures quoted, that those of you considering this have a price target of over $10/BTC ?

what math leads you there?
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 04:17:24 AM

Well, basically, turning a profit before the block reward halves...

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 10:45:33 AM

Well, basically, turning a profit before the block reward halves...

Better get your calculator back out.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 12:04:02 PM

following with interest, this would be a good spot power/price wise for me

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3