Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:16:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty for Bitcoin Animated Movie [won]  (Read 88204 times)
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 04, 2011, 01:11:52 AM

Our only goal with this video is to spread Bitcoin and make people interested. Technical information is only included insofar as it helps that goal. As bytemaster says, we need one video to bring new users into the fold and a different one to explain the technology in depth. This one will be the former. I don't want to exclude the possibility that we will work on the latter afterwards.

Sure, but I kind of hope that there is a way to describe how bitcoin works without being too technical.  Maybe not technical at all.

I was thinking of describing bitcoin by replacing computers by a book.

As I see it, we woudl say that all the accounts are numbers written in a public large accounting book.  Everyone can read it at any time.  The only thing is that it is not easy to write in it.  And it's a good thing: if we could all write in the book in the same time, it would be a mess.  So we need a way to make it difficult.  So there is some kind of a magic pen (a cryptographic pen).  To obtain the pen, you must solve a difficult mathematic problem.  And you can only write something that makes sense, otherwise people will immediately see the fraud and ignore what you wrote.

I say this because if we just say what bitcoin is without trying to explain how it works, people will just don't believe it.  I mean: sure, people would be glad to have a decentralised, taxation free money and stuffs.   But  without any explanation about how it is possible, they'll obviously be suspicious.  I would if I hadn't read Satoshi's paper.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sanjay

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2011, 08:32:02 PM

http://www.qwiki.com/q/#!/Bitcoin

The above is a Qwiki which could be improved if others here were to suggest other images and videos.  I am new to the site and still learning what the options are for improving Qwiki's.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2011, 03:56:35 AM

http://www.qwiki.com/q/#!/Bitcoin

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Jim Hyslop

Activity: 98
Merit: 20

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 10:20:32 PM

Wow, a lot of messages in this thread.

How attached are people (specifically the bounty providers) to it being an animation? I'm better with live people than with animations. As long as it gets the concepts across (accurately), would voters be satisfied?

Oh, and please avoid the artificial voices. XtraNormal and such are fine for a very short, humourous video, but absolutely excruciating to listen to if you are trying to absorb and understand what it's saying. If your punctuation is not absolutely perfect the text-to-speech synthesizer will throw in pauses at strange points. And I know people who will absolutely refuse to watch anything that has synthesized voices - which defeats the whole purpose of creating the video.

--
Jim

Like my answer? Did I help? Tips gratefully accepted here: 1H6wM8Xj8GNrhqWBrnDugd8Vf3nAfZgMnq
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2011, 10:43:35 PM

I'll play the hundred I pledged to a good live person explanation.

Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2011, 02:22:23 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2011, 05:14:00 PM by justmoon

I will post a status update on Tuesday.

Progress!  Smiley

On the audio front

The script was handed in on schedule on Friday and the finished voice recordings came in yesterday! The studio sent three takes in total. The first one wasn't what we were looking for, however the other two were both damn near perfect. So we spent an hour listening to both and eventually settled on number two, because it sounded a tiny bit more enthusiastic in the very important first section.

Music. Until this morning this was a bit of an open question. But about half an hour we've struck a deal with a film music composer/producer who's both excellent at what he does and (thanks to a preexisting work relationship with our designer) within our budget. He agreed to do both an original score as well as the sound design for the video. I'm really happy this worked out, because a custom score is much, much better than an off-the-rack one and it was not at all clear that we'd be able to afford one. Just like with everyone else on the team, we were a bit lucky.

On the graphics front

Our designer did tons more graphics over the last few days, we're almost ready to start putting it all together during animation! We lost some work on Saturday due to an Illustrator crash, but other than that, everything is going rather well. I don't want to spoil anything major (the final video isn't too far away now anyway), but I think it would be nice to release a little something with every status update. So, for example, yesterday our designer was testing a possible new font:

The script lists some examples of what you can already buy with Bitcoins today, for example:

And of course no such list would be complete without a mention of Alpaca socks, would it? Wink

Remaining todos are the music, some graphics and most of the actual animation work. The next status report is scheduled for Monday, March 14th. If all goes according to plan, that'll be the last update before the release of the video.

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 09:53:53 PM

That looks fantastic!

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 09:56:47 PM

That looks fantastic!
I second that. Really looking forward to that video – and spreading it of course. Smiley
theGECK

Activity: 411
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 10:15:24 PM

This looks great!

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 11:44:59 PM

I'm sorry I don't share your enthusiasm guys, but I'll wait until I see the video...

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2011, 01:42:18 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2011, 11:58:25 AM by slush

I'm sorry I don't share your enthusiasm guys, but I'll wait until I see the video...

I have seen two older animations done by justmoon's designer and have to say it looks really professionally.

Stefan Thomas

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2011, 04:25:42 AM

Guys, thanks, but let me emphasize that I'm posting these status updates for fun mostly and because publicly announced deadlines help me keep people motivated. Please reserve your judgement positive or negative until you see the final product.  Smiley

Next status update on Monday.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 10, 2011, 10:29:05 PM

Guys, thanks, but let me emphasize that I'm posting these status updates for fun mostly and because publicly announced deadlines help me keep people motivated. Please reserve your judgement positive or negative until you see the final product.  Smiley

Next status update on Monday.

I hope you understand the technical side perfectly, because without that it would be difficult to create anything that explains bitcoin in an intuitive, easy way.

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 12:23:21 PM

I hope you understand the technical side perfectly, because without that it would be difficult to create anything that explains bitcoin in an intuitive, easy way.

afaik the transcript was discussed at least with Gavin.

Stefan Thomas

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 05:31:31 PM

afaik the transcript was discussed at least with Gavin.

Yes, Gavin and [mike] reviewed the script and provided feedback on the technical parts.

I'm also currently in #bitcoin-dev, asking questions as we go along.

sanjay

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2011, 12:07:31 AM

Is there a script available for anyone to use?  Or even an outline?  I could make another video, but I would need help on the script...
Stefan Thomas

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2011, 06:42:30 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2011, 10:46:35 PM by justmoon

Ok, here we are for the final status report! Since Friday we're officially moving - or rather our pictures are. I've received the first draft of the animation on Saturday and the second draft yesterday morning.

This is the last static graphic that was created - it's a bulletin board, representing the Bitcoin Trade page. (We have a tiny little section appealing to merchants and freelancers and why Bitcoin is a particularly great proposition for them.)

The rest of the new stuff is all animated and firstly a screenshot doesn't capture it and secondly I don't want to spoil it, since it's getting pretty close to final now.

But I will post one shot from the video, mostly because I wouldn't mind some input:

We're not all too happy with the title "rate"? But "Money supply" seems long and we are worried not everyone will understand it. "Limit" is already in the script and it somehow tends to draw forth deflation phobia. "21 million" is a possibility I quite like, though some people said it sounds arbitrary and in a way it is. So maybe it shouldn't be in the video. I'm interested to hear your views, we can incorporate any suggestion for the title or the italic text until around this time tomorrow. If you don't have a suggestion of your own, feel free to vote for one of the options that I've just listed.

Now to go through the remaining todos. Music. We had a long discussion with our composer and ultimately decided to go with a minimal beat with no melody. This may sound like we're wasting our chance to get an orchestral piece written for our puny little video, but form has to follow function: The video is very fast and rich with information. A minimal rhythmic piece, no melody adds the least amount of distraction. That does however mean that we get more revisions and time to spend on sound design (basically a fancy term for sound effects). All in all I'm very glad we went with a professional composer, having that specialized experience on board turned out to be invaluable.

Animation. I'd say we're about two thirds done, depending how many little details we'll find in the end that we need to fix. But we're only a few days away from wrapping animation.

Website. Yes, website. We looked around and while there are many fantastic links you can give to a newcomer (bitcoin.org, the wiki, bitcoinme, mybitcoin, bitcoinbulletin, bitcoinwatch, bitcoincharts, etc.), we wanted a page specifically designed to pick up where the video leaves off. Happily, one of the people who reviewed our script and in doing so got excited about Bitcoin was a webdesigner. He's agreed to help build a companion website for the video free of charge. The website will be fairly simple, probably much like bitcoinme.com - ideas, texts, audio, links and anything else that should go on the website are very welcome.

Aaaand finally... I am happy to announce our release dates!

The video will premiere at the Bitcoin Geneva meetup on Saturday, March 19th 2011.

If you are anywhere in Switzerland or Southern France, or damn it, anywhere in Europe - make the trip! This meetup will be awesome, we've got many cool people coming (many of whom haven't RSVPed publicly in the thread), so don't miss this chance to meet some real Bitcoiners in real life and have a beer with us! Newbies and veterans are of course equally welcome!

After that, we reserve the right to spend another day or two on it until our compulsive disorders are all satisfied and are planning for public release via YouTube on Monday, March 21st 2011.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 12:15:20 PM

The slide with the graph should make it way clearer what the rules of issuing and supply of BitCoins are.

So I'd change the title to "Issuing rate" instead of just "rate" and the text bellow I'd change to: "the total amount of BitCoins is fixed and limited"

There should absolutely be no doubt to anyone viewing the graph that you just wont ever have more then 21mio of BitCoins. IMO at least.

p.s.: awesome job so far, can't wait to see the final thing Smiley

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 05:59:36 AM

Very much looking forward to this, and you can be sure if I like the result there will be a gift in it for the hard work!

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 06:06:59 AM

The slide with the graph should make it way clearer what the rules of issuing and supply of BitCoins are.

So I'd change the title to "Issuing rate" instead of just "rate" and the text bellow I'd change to: "the total amount of BitCoins is fixed and limited"

There should absolutely be no doubt to anyone viewing the graph that you just wont ever have more then 21mio of BitCoins. IMO at least.

p.s.: awesome job so far, can't wait to see the final thing Smiley

'Issuing' evokes an issuer. I think "total" or "supply" might work.

Looking forward to the completed product!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: