Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:37:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty for Bitcoin Animated Movie [won]  (Read 88204 times)
Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 02:19:06 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2011, 06:02:58 PM by justmoon

I put up a simple page with materials to do with the video - Nothing that hasn't been posted, just collecting everything in one spot.

Still waiting to hear from kiba, noagendamarket or bytemaster regarding this proposal:

Now, as for the bounty: Satoshi still has not responded after one week so at this point I would request we go with Gavin's approval instead, which he has already given:

Wow!  Great job, excellent video (I like fast), fully deserving of the bounty in my opinion.

As per the rules, we suggest waiting one week from today for more submissions and holding a vote if there are any. Kiba, noagendamarket, bytemaster, can one of you please confirm whether you agree with this procedure?

Edit: Poll has been set up (see link below). Thanks!!  Smiley

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 03:53:00 PM

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5137.msg74898#new

I posted a poll.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 04:19:24 PM

Too bad that the poll is worhless (no offense) because of lack of security.
Anybody can register 100 accounts and vote as many times as he want.

Perhaps the voting should be done in topic, and only votes from people having at least 10 posts, and registered for at least month ago should have a vote.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 04:33:22 PM

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5140.0

I did a retake.

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 04:33:34 PM

Pay him all the cash already you stingy cunts! Do you know how much effort has gone into that quality video?

He's gone beyond what was expected IMO. Too many people offering bounties on these forums and then not paying up after/changing their terms.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 07:54:44 PM

Pay him all the cash already you stingy cunts! Do you know how much effort has gone into that quality video?

He's gone beyond what was expected IMO. Too many people offering bounties on these forums and then not paying up after/changing their terms.

I actually believe he deserves the money. I just pointed out that the poll was bad.

I think we should give him all the money even if little less than 50% of people says so.

Stefan Thomas

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 08:17:08 PM

I think we should give him all the money even if little less than 50% of people says so.

We won't accept the money unless we win the vote fair and square.

Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 08:27:21 PM

Justmoon,

I'm sorry if this has already been posted or something elsewhere.
Could you (if willing) post or PM me a script from it.
I'd like to subtitle it (Spanish) and I'm guessing some others might too.

Honestly I could listen to it and write it all down in English then translate it but I'm guessing you have it already written and a copy & paste could save me a lot of work / maybe errors.

Awesome video though, made a pretty gimp donation but I'm broke  Sad

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 08:29:22 PM

One comment, Justmoon--I know it's too late now for the original video, but saying that computers generate bitcoins is very confusing and the most common source of the concept that bitcoins are worthless.  Please be careful to explain in the technical video that the community has defined a set amount of bitcoins which are valued on open exchanges, and that bitcoins are rewarded to miners in return for processing transactions and increasing the cryptographic security of the network--in a highly competitive market.  This is the primary thing we need to change in explaining bitcoin to the public, imho.
Justmoon,

Honestly I could listen to it and write it all down in English then translate it but I'm guessing you have it already written and a copy & paste could save me a lot of work / maybe errors.

They've already been posted.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 08:46:48 PM

One comment, Justmoon--I know it's too late now for the original video, but saying that computers generate bitcoins is very confusing and the most common source of the concept that bitcoins are worthless.  Please be careful to explain in the technical video that the community has defined a set amount of bitcoins which are valued on open exchanges, and that bitcoins are rewarded to miners in return for processing transactions and increasing the cryptographic security of the network--in a highly competitive market.  This is the primary thing we need to change in explaining bitcoin to the public, imho.
Justmoon,

They've already been posted.

Thanks, I only had to go back one page. Doh!
Gonna see how quick I can get this Spanish taken care of.
Please if it's already done tell me.

moneyandtech.com
Stefan Thomas

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 08:53:31 PM

Yes, a Spanish version is already available!!!

Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 09:20:16 PM

Yes, a Spanish version is already available!!!

Was just about to get to work. Thanks!

moneyandtech.com
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 09:23:30 PM

I've translated the subtitles to Brazilian Portuguese. Hope it helps!

http://rapidshare.com/files/455023837/What_is_Bitcoin-ptBR.srt
Stefan Thomas

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 09:38:54 PM

I totally agree, illustrating that Bitcoins are real money was actually a top priority for this video. Explaining why they are valuable is more complex, but it is definitely high on our todo list. I don't want to promise putting it into the technical video (it's an economic more than a technical issue), but I agree about this issue's importance and we will definitely find some solution for communicating it better. "But Bitcoins have no backing!!" is a top five frequently asked question, no doubt about that.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 03:00:43 AM

An idea concerning the next, more technical video:

it should really take some time to explain both public key cryptography and the concept of cryptographic hash-based proof-of-work.

Stefan Thomas

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 07:38:06 AM

I've translated the subtitles to Brazilian Portuguese. Hope it helps!

http://rapidshare.com/files/455023837/What_is_Bitcoin-ptBR.srt

Thanks, I've added it!

eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 07:40:03 AM

I totally agree, illustrating that Bitcoins are real money was actually a top priority for this video. Explaining why they are valuable is more complex, but it is definitely high on our todo list. I don't want to promise putting it into the technical video (it's an economic more than a technical issue), but I agree about this issue's importance and we will definitely find some solution for communicating it better. "But Bitcoins have no backing!!" is a top five frequently asked question, no doubt about that.
Especially since the existing video, unfortunately, says "bitcoins are generated all over the network, by anybody!"  This is something we need to fix psychologically in the community here.  Although that's the order in which bitcoins get to the network, bitcoins are not generated by a bitcoin miner.  They were all created mathematically right at the beginning when the bitcoin protocol was specified and the blockchain launched.  They are awarded to miners by all of us, in return for processing transactions and providing security to the network, in a highly competitive market.  Everybody repeat it five times.  If I could change one thing about how bitcoins get described to newcomers it would be this.  This slight change makes a universe of difference.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 03:16:41 PM

Especially since the existing video, unfortunately, says "bitcoins are generated all over the network, by anybody!"  This is something we need to fix psychologically in the community here.  Although that's the order in which bitcoins get to the network, bitcoins are not generated by a bitcoin miner.  They were all created mathematically right at the beginning when the bitcoin protocol was specified and the blockchain launched.  They are awarded to miners by all of us, in return for processing transactions and providing security to the network, in a highly competitive market.  Everybody repeat it five times.  If I could change one thing about how bitcoins get described to newcomers it would be this.  This slight change makes a universe of difference.

I absolutely agree! There is huge psychology difference between saying 'bitcoins are created by miner' and 'miner accept bitcoins from the network as reward for processing transactions'. Originally I explained bitcoins to my friends with first sentence, but then found that they don't catch it correctly and it is source of misunderstanding. I tried second way later and I hit almost 100% success rate Wink.

Stefan Thomas

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2011, 09:21:27 PM

Wow! This is really amazing and I know what I'm talking about as I edit videos. What software did you use for this? Adobe Aftereffects?

Yes, Adobe After Effects CS4 I believe.

In other news we've just submitted the video to http://www.webcuts.org/2011/ . It was free to submit so why not.

If any of you come across any contests, awards or film festivals with an animation/motion graphics category, let us know and we'll try and get it in. I don't know how high the chances are since the video is kind of a commercial, but hey Bitcoin is open-source and this is all indie stuff plus we've got nothing to lose in submitting it. Smiley

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 05:42:16 AM

Topic is locked so that people can't resurrect the thread plus the bounty was awarded.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: