Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:29:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] rpietila Monero Economics thread  (Read 69976 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 11:35:44 AM

For me the 300-400K is a non-issue and will be gobbled up on the market in roughly 3-6months when people see the true longterm value of Monero.

We're not saying its an issue, we're speculating about the amount and weight of the top few holders.

If someone still has that many coins now with all the attention around XMR they are unlikely to be offloading a significant amount due to liquidity and by the time its liquid enough they won't want to sell them, in fact who does? Wink
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HardwarePal

Activity: 565
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 11:51:40 AM

For me the 300-400K is a non-issue and will be gobbled up on the market in roughly 3-6months when people see the true longterm value of Monero.

We're not saying its an issue, we're speculating about the amount and weight of the top few holders.

If someone still has that many coins now with all the attention around XMR they are unlikely to be offloading a significant amount due to liquidity and by the time its liquid enough they won't want to sell them, in fact who does? Wink

True but not everyone follows the 10/200 strategy http://david.latapie.name/blog/extended-10200-strategy/ like David has analysed.

Then we have some people that need the money and some that are happy with X $ amount or do it solely for BTC.

For the next 4 years I think that XMR will strive but the issue after the initial emission curve to me is something Fred Wilson from Paypal has mentioned :

“I also think we need to see real transaction volume happen. Right now, most people who get bitcoin hold it, they don’t transact with it. That’s part of what causes all of the volatility — if there was a very vibrant system where bitcoin was just getting swapped around like crazy, the velocity of the money would cause bitcoin’s price to stabilize and there would be a much more liquid market. I think those are the kinds of things an economist would want to see.”

I think Father Risto is not far of with his 260K calculation for the top holder

"I am now fairly certain that the 5 largest holders together own 20-35% of the total supply" this will probably be lower in the future imo.
pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 02:12:15 PM

Aminorex reminded me when talking about merchant acceptance for XMR in the polobox.

What do you guys think about this, how will the governments be reacting to completely untraceable transactions.? Will they try to ban the project citing obvious reasons?

I have been thinking about this since XMR genesis started. Never found anyone taking a deeper look at this side. All i see is price talks
onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:16:25 PM

What do you guys think about this, how will the governments be reacting to completely untraceable transactions.? Will they try to ban the project citing obvious reasons?

its just the same as cash and same regulations will apply (eg passport when buying a car, nothing when buying xxx or drugs)

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:22:07 PM

Aminorex reminded me when talking about merchant acceptance for XMR in the polobox.

I have been thinking about this since XMR genesis started. Never found anyone taking a deeper look at this side. All i see is price talks

At the moment we can't really advise merchants to start using Monero because the core code needs a lot of work. Many merchants that may try to use Monero in its current form will likely be turned off forever.

Once the bandwidth and ram issues are sorted, the team will incorporate one of the GUI developments and then Monero will be ready for merchant use.
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:57:41 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 04:25:33 PM by luigi1111

True but not everyone follows the 10/200 strategy http://david.latapie.name/blog/extended-10200-strategy/ like David has analysed.

Then we have some people that need the money and some that are happy with X $ amount or do it solely for BTC.

For the next 4 years I think that XMR will strive but the issue after the initial emission curve to me is something Fred Wilson from Paypal has mentioned :

“I also think we need to see real transaction volume happen. Right now, most people who get bitcoin hold it, they don’t transact with it. That’s part of what causes all of the volatility — if there was a very vibrant system where bitcoin was just getting swapped around like crazy, the velocity of the money would cause bitcoin’s price to stabilize and there would be a much more liquid market. I think those are the kinds of things an economist would want to see.”

"I am now fairly certain that the 5 largest holders together own 20-35% of the total supply" this will probably be lower in the future imo.

Risto's estimation was 280k. My correction was just <260k. I'm impressed that his theoretical analysis has come so close to the truth (unless there is a larger holder I don't know about, but that seems pretty unlikely).
Edit: seems pretty unlikely that there's two holders that large, not that I would or wouldn't know about it. Grin
dga

Activity: 737
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 06:01:33 PM

Risto's estimation was 280k. My correction was just <260k. I'm impressed that his theoretical analysis has come so close to the truth (unless there is a larger holder I don't know about, but that seems pretty unlikely).
Edit: seems pretty unlikely that there's two holders that large, not that I would or wouldn't know about it. Grin

I believe you and I are thinking of the same whale.  I don't know of any others who approach that size.

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:09:15 PM

I believe you and I are thinking of the same whale.  I don't know of any others who approach that size.

Please elaborate. You think it is an early BTC holder or ?

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
HardwarePal

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:15:28 PM

I have learned from this thread my relative XMR holdings bigger than first thought
I thought there was a bunch of orcas investing, it's mostly tuna

Amount of your holdings +- ?
HardwarePal

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:41:48 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2014, 11:25:03 AM by HardwarePal

I have learned from this thread my relative XMR holdings bigger than first thought

Not that big of a stash but would apparently place in top XXX, close to top XXX.
Find it a little odd that there is not considerably more users with larger holdings, but hey.

Its all estimations as I doubt anyone would say hey I have X amount of XMR, not to mention that not everyone likes being exposed.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 09:01:44 PM

Not that big of a stash but would apparently place in top 20, close to top 10.
Find it a little odd that there is not considerably more users with larger holdings, but hey.

Its all estimations as I doubt anyone would say hey I have X amount of XMR, not to mention that not everyone likes being exposed.

The only way of having more of large holdings, and preserve statistical credibility (individual holding size is determined from random variables and behaves according to statistical distributions), is to have significantly fewer overall holdings. Such as if there were only 300 Monero investors, it would make sense that every other of them had 10,000. But with 8,000 holders as is now the consensus, the average holding is <300 XMR and the median is <100. Everyone with 10,000 is a whale and this is an undisputable fact.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 09:33:37 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 09:44:12 PM by statdude

Any ideas around the stake of the dev team as a whole?

Obviously tough to get a big share with XMR but I know some of them like TacoTime got some really cheap early buys.

Glad that the community is supporting those guys committing time to the project.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 11:07:06 PM

Obviously tough to get a big share with XMR but I know some of them like TacoTime got some really cheap early buys.

Glad that the community is supporting those guys committing time to the project.

We all got some early mining or buying done, but we also sold to cover costs early on. I'm quite fine with being transparent, and we've occasionally spoken amongst ourselves about our respective "stash" (although the "make our stash worth more" context has been notably lacking). Including myself, I would guess that we collectively have substantially less than 50 000 XMR, probably closer to 30 000 XMR between the 7 of us.

bobabouey2

Activity: 248

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:54:11 AM

We all got some early mining or buying done, but we also sold to cover costs early on. I'm quite fine with being transparent, and we've occasionally spoken amongst ourselves about our respective "stash" (although the "make our stash worth more" context has been notably lacking). Including myself, I would guess that we collectively have substantially less than 50 000 XMR, probably closer to 30 000 XMR between the 7 of us.

Well, that comment is a perfect excuse to donate another 100XMR to the development fund in accordance with the Monero Community Hall of Fame (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=700400.0). 

Thanks greatly to all the developers.
HardwarePal

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:29:24 PM

I think this is relevant to post

I am personally doing a small survey about XMR for all the people interested in completing it :

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JqIXkjKpcEpv6lyH6SD22f_Ny0i-rhM9bV21WcOFstw/viewform

I will be posting graphs when I have a large enough data sample.
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:42:57 PM

Monero distrubition is perfect. I love it.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 03:04:57 PM

lol you sure? Would not you like to have more distributed on your part? I would for sure on mine.   Grin
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 05:45:40 PM

Monero just got even bigger now when Poloniex decided to add XMR markets

damashup

Activity: 259

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 06:26:53 PM

Monero just got even bigger now when Poloniex decided to add XMR markets

Until it's possible exchange Monero for fiat, I don't see the point of these markets. Way too early.
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 06:33:25 PM

i want more  Grin its not perfect yet.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: