Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:44:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ETH] Ethereum = Scam  (Read 60138 times)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:00:00 AM

They seemed shady, asking what was my interest in Ethereum and being all squirrrelly

I feel anyone who's attended their share of doors-open bitcoin/crypto-asset events will be familiar with that line of inquiry. After all, you've got some people in suits overplaying their importance/understanding, some people in rags who are the most interesting and/or wealthy in the room, and a couple who are genuinely crazy or otherwise unstable. But don't assume the latter, because maybe you're misreading the anti-social genius-type.

Basically: That's just how you get to the point with people in this space. There are a lot of bullshitters and the room is busy.

Disclaimer: I am acquainted with some of the Ethereum team from the Bitcoin Toronto meetups, and trust they are dedicated, passionate and intelligent people in their respective domains. So I have to assume you're projecting something silly onto them.

Was it in Toronto then?

No, Bitcoin Toronto meetup was in some other place called Toronto. Torororotonto? Thor-ontos? Whaaa, now I got all confused...

That tears it then. Canadians are the worst scammers ever...

Edit: never trust a Canadian.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
identtitentti

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:27:11 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2014, 12:47:39 AM by identtitentti

Yes. This has been most educational thread, now we know - finally! - that Ethereum is a moose pretending to be a road kill. But all that moose blood on the road is in fact just maple syrup. Worst. Scammers. Ever.

PS: and taking another look, now it is plain to all that Vitalik is in fact a gay moose in human disguise. A scammer moose pretending to be a roadkill. Covered all up in maple syrup. Not in Toronto, but in the other place with the same name.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:34:27 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2014, 01:42:25 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

Yes. This has been most educational thread, now we know - finally! - that Ethereum is a moose pretending to be a road kill. But all that moose blood on the road is in fact just maple syrup. Worst. Scammers. Ever.

I was in Ontario once, just north of Toronto. I forgot to bring my gun. That place is drenched in sin; like the sap of the mighty maple tree, it sticks to everyone it touches and seeps through the cracks of the soul. The cracks are what let the light in. But not up there. Up there it's maple tree sap... in the cracks of your soul!!

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
identtitentti

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:50:29 AM

I was in Ontario once, just north of Toronto. I forgot to bring my gun. Can you imagine? That place is drenched in sin; like the sap of the mighty maple tree, it sticks to everyone it touches and seeps through the cracks of the soul. The cracks are what let the light in. But not up there. Up there it's maple tree sap... in the cracks of your soul!!

OMG! So they run out of water and are using maple tree sap for fracking??? The end of the world. So long and thanks for all the phish.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 01:10:08 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2014, 01:26:10 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

I was in Ontario once, just north of Toronto. I forgot to bring my gun. That place is drenched in sin; like the sap of the mighty maple tree, it sticks to everyone it touches and seeps through the cracks of the soul. The cracks are what let the light in. But not up there. Up there it's maple tree sap... in the cracks of your soul!!

OMG! So they run out of water and are using maple tree sap for fracking??? The end of the world. So long and thanks for all the phish.

That and so much worse, I promise you. Like Heart of Darkness, death everywhere; in the woods, no one is safe in the woods. The sun won't rise for days. Just stoney silence and death. Teh horror, brother, teh horror

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 01:53:23 AM

They seemed shady, asking what was my interest in Ethereum and being all squirrrelly

I feel anyone who's attended their share of doors-open bitcoin/crypto-asset events will be familiar with that line of inquiry. After all, you've got some people in suits overplaying their importance/understanding, some people in rags who are the most interesting and/or wealthy in the room, and a couple who are genuinely crazy or otherwise unstable. But don't assume the latter, because maybe you're misreading the anti-social genius-type.

Basically: That's just how you get to the point with people in this space. There are a lot of bullshitters and the room is busy.

Disclaimer: I am acquainted with some of the Ethereum team from the Bitcoin Toronto meetups, and trust they are dedicated, passionate and intelligent people in their respective domains. So I have to assume you're projecting something silly onto them.

ok "Newbie"  Roll Eyes

FUD first & ask questions later™
Jeezy911

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:15:26 AM

Any word on genesis block?

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:18:54 PM

Any word on genesis block?

on the IPO'd coin ? LOL

and never trust a Canadian ?
this is true !
we will steal your women out from under you Wink

WE KNOW BEAVER !

krb91

Activity: 254
Merit: 10

Streamies Rocks!!!!

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:28:12 PM

What if all Ethereum investors get 5 bitcoins back for every bitcoin they invested, but bitcoin's only worth $50 by then? I know it's an extreme example, but bitcoin's already getting close to half the price it was during the Ethereum IPO.

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:58:17 PM

Anyone has met Antony (the founder of Ether) knows hes shaddy as fck. The guy doesnt really understand bitcoin and generally talks baseless crap just like Roger Ver.

Someone should do a background check on Antony and you will be shocked.

Everything's shady.  You forgot about the Goldman Sach's connection.  There's only so many people in this world that have worked for them (out of 7 billion people) and yet Ethereum has them.

Then there's Vitalik - always doing these hour long interviews and flying around the world to promote Ethereum.  When does he have time to do any development?  Why is he passed off as some sort of prodigy developer?  How is that kid more well known than Charlie Lee or actual Bitcoin developers like Gavin Andresen?  I swear that Vitalik is a mascot, some Goldmansachs executive at some table probably said: "We need someone 'hip and kewl', like Justin Bieber, to promote our scam coin to the skateboarding millenials".. "umm how about Vitalik sir, all he does is edit some magazine read by a few dozen people and he's also from Toronto just like Bieber", "Good job Samuels, keep up the good work and you'll get that raise".

"We need someone 'hip and kewl', like Justin Bieber, to promote our scam coin to the skateboarding millenials"

You gotta be kidding, right?

I find Vitalik geeky, genius & antisocial. Have you ever watched the videos where's he featured?

I've watched the videos and have found him creepy as fuck. His voice, his looks... I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this, but most people are too polite and too PC to actually say it.

Oh well shit...you watched the video!!HODL the phone!  everyone! everyone!! he watched the video!! and now he is some sort of an exderp.
So, what? You're some hot shit brad pitt look-alike? The fact that you had to bring his look into a conversation regarding the creation of a whole new decentralized interwebs, just shows me what level your head is at!
Your have nothing to bring to the table, go fucking be a user!

slaveforanunnak1

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:03:00 PM

On the other hand ethereum will be a good prototype for clones with better distribution. The clones that start from the ground up is where the profit is for the investors.

Yes, it's the actual product that matters. A block chain programming language for smart contracts. And if that succeeds, my friend, it will change everything. The question whether the smart contract network will be lubricated with ether or some alternative token is not really important. But also, so far it's the Ethereum developing this product, not some other development group.

well, IBM said they wanna fork it!
bunch of cunts!
slaveforanunnak1

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:04:11 PM

Havnt checked here for a while, any updates, is this a confirmed scam? The whole thing looks plain dodgy, alot of BTC has been put into this, i know someone has a big bag of BTC...

facepalm
resya

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 11:48:34 PM

What if all Ethereum investors get 5 bitcoins back for every bitcoin they invested, but bitcoin's only worth $50 by then? I know it's an extreme example, but bitcoin's already getting close to half the price it was during the Ethereum IPO.

It sucks, ethereum sells their worthless eth for expensive btc, then dumps the btc we gave them for their worthless eth for yummy fiat to buy back btc at pennies on the initial dollar. Why didn't we think of this ?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 12:12:58 AM

Anyone has met Antony (the founder of Ether) knows hes shaddy as fck. The guy doesnt really understand bitcoin and generally talks baseless crap just like Roger Ver.

Someone should do a background check on Antony and you will be shocked.

Everything's shady.  You forgot about the Goldman Sach's connection.  There's only so many people in this world that have worked for them (out of 7 billion people) and yet Ethereum has them.

Then there's Vitalik - always doing these hour long interviews and flying around the world to promote Ethereum.  When does he have time to do any development?  Why is he passed off as some sort of prodigy developer?  How is that kid more well known than Charlie Lee or actual Bitcoin developers like Gavin Andresen?  I swear that Vitalik is a mascot, some Goldmansachs executive at some table probably said: "We need someone 'hip and kewl', like Justin Bieber, to promote our scam coin to the skateboarding millenials".. "umm how about Vitalik sir, all he does is edit some magazine read by a few dozen people and he's also from Toronto just like Bieber", "Good job Samuels, keep up the good work and you'll get that raise".

"We need someone 'hip and kewl', like Justin Bieber, to promote our scam coin to the skateboarding millenials"

You gotta be kidding, right?

I find Vitalik geeky, genius & antisocial. Have you ever watched the videos where's he featured?

I've watched the videos and have found him creepy as fuck. His voice, his looks... I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this, but most people are too polite and too PC to actually say it.

Oh well shit...you watched the video!!HODL the phone!  everyone! everyone!! he watched the video!! and now he is some sort of an exderp.
So, what? You're some hot shit brad pitt look-alike? The fact that you had to bring his look into a conversation regarding the creation of a whole new decentralized interwebs, just shows me what level your head is at!
Your have nothing to bring to the table, go fucking be a user!

it does matter and i don't know about you but i FAP'd Wink

fivebells

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 04:02:03 AM

Oh well shit...you watched the video!!HODL the phone!  everyone! everyone!! he watched the video!! and now he is some sort of an exderp.

Vitalik's latest talk is very interesting.  He's extremely verbose, as ever, but I'm impressed with the honesty and thoughtfulness with which he's facing up to the potential problems.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:33:55 AM

Vitalik just won some new award.   Lips sealed   Best vapor award of 2014 goes to... *drum roll*

Spoetnik you should befriend Goldman Sachs and win awards too.   Wink  Cheesy

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:41:16 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2014, 05:55:23 AM by rdnkjdi

I know Ethereum isn't liked around here ... but they had more code and functionality than 99% of the altcoins in this forum had BEFORE the fundraiser even started.

They virtually rebuilt counterparty in the language they created ... in 400 lines of code (vs counterparty who just cloned Ethereum's code)

The ethics I can understand people having a problem with.  But Ethereum is a functioning product - they just reset the genesis block so it's impossible to profit off of at the moment.
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 02:14:07 PM

Vitalik just won some new award.   Lips sealed   Best vapor award of 2014 goes to... *drum roll*

Spoetnik you should befriend Goldman Sachs and win awards too.   Wink  Cheesy

LOL

nice.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
BootstrapCoinDev

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:31:21 PM

What I don't understand is why they settled on a structure that incentivises investors not to tell anybody else about the IPO. The more investment overall, the less ownership of the currency each individual investor has.
Surely changing the system to more of a tiered/flat-fee structure (where what you get is more in proportion to what you pay) would increase the amount raised.
Saltzman Alaric

Activity: 29

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:49:16 PM

Surely Ethereum isn't a scam or vaporware.  It seems to be working really good to me (on the CounterParty test net).  Cool

Vitalik very well might go down as the genius who created Ethereum, let other people use it for free, and then just kept all the fundraiser money. 

He doesn't really care.  He gets rich and this really cool software he invented is used everywhere.  He gets awards.  It is all around a big win for him.  Just because the people that directly paid for it aren't the people that actually directly profit probably shouldn't worry him much. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: