Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 04:49:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 186 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite | 1st mini-blockchain coin | M7 PoW | No Premine  (Read 578441 times)
whap

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 02:11:31 PM

PPL are leaving,I choose to stay with dev here.

nah, just getting some taccos. XCN hoarders just don't want to attract too much attention  Cool
WowWtf

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 06:04:57 PM

There's more of us sticking around. I wish I had the means to help drive real world usage towards XCN, but unfortunately I have neither the skills nor the time for now. I'm confident that the community, however small it is today, will continue to grow, and figure out ways to push XCN forward.

Happy mining!

yea ur wishful thinking isn't gonna work buddy. thats what leads to the deaths of altcoins.

XCN needs to be put out there, work with other Devs. Collaborate
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 03:01:17 AM

Whoa I just realized how substantial some of those recent donations were.

We have 16K XCN and 1 BTC in donations, so lets do something useful with that.

Clearly I'm not a marketing guru so I'm open to ideas about how we can promote Cryptonite.

I will not let this coin die, don't anybody worry about that. It's too innovative to die.

So lets hear those ideas.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
e6ug

Activity: 773
Merit: 508

Bitcore (BTX) - The Future is Now

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 05:48:05 AM

can i sell a gpu on here for xcn? or is that against the rules?

ltcnim
Legendary

Activity: 914
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 01:35:34 PM

There's more of us sticking around. I wish I had the means to help drive real world usage towards XCN, but unfortunately I have neither the skills nor the time for now. I'm confident that the community, however small it is today, will continue to grow, and figure out ways to push XCN forward.

Happy mining!

yea ur wishful thinking isn't gonna work buddy. thats what leads to the deaths of altcoins.

XCN needs to be put out there, work with other Devs. Collaborate

most alt-coins die, because the devs are giving up after a month or two. I think in the future, only those coins have a chance which offer:

1. something unique (like XCN's mini-blockchain and more)
2. show continuous work and support

Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:06:32 PM

Whoa I just realized how substantial some of those recent donations were.

We have 16K XCN and 1 BTC in donations, so lets do something useful with that.

Clearly I'm not a marketing guru so I'm open to ideas about how we can promote Cryptonite.

I will not let this coin die, don't anybody worry about that. It's too innovative to die.

So lets hear those ideas.

What we really need is something that people can do with their XCN. I propose a crowd funded just-dice style betting site.

That always brings a crowd.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
coind

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:54:24 PM

Hi, when running the Mac OS X client I get the following error:

===
"Cryptonite-Qt" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
com.apple.WebKit.Plugin.64 created this file today at XX:XX
[Cancel] [Move to Trash]
===

Does anyone know why I get this error? I use Mac OS 10.9.5.

Thanks for a great initiative and for any hints regarding this issue... Smiley
e.nexus

Activity: 96
Merit: 25

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 10:41:40 PM

◾"Damaged" app. – The app has been altered by something other than the developer. This message will appear no matter the Gatekeeper option chosen.
◦ "App name" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290
coind

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:00:41 PM

◾"Damaged" app. – The app has been altered by something other than the developer. This message will appear no matter the Gatekeeper option chosen.
◦ "App name" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290

Yes, that is very similar to how the screen looked. Is this only happening to me or do other people also have this issue?
argon1

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 12:41:44 AM

This time I let Bitcoin and Cryptonite get out of sync by 12 days. Started both at the same time and Bitcoin won by 20 minutes.
Bitcoin currently has a huge amount of transaction activity compared to Cryptonite yet it still is faster.

Bitcoin still has its problems though. When I first downloaded the entire block chain, it took 34 hours. Of course to avoid that, and the 10 minute transaction time, they recommend using a third party like Coinbase. This of course flys in the face of one of the primary reasons for Bitcoin. No need for a trusted third party. Such trusted third parties can disappear with all the coins, be hacked, or shutdown. The latest example being Justcoin in Norway. They had to shutdown because all banks in Norway started to refuse businesses dealing with digital currencies. This demonstrates the need for decentralized payment networks, yet Bitcoin is moving in the opposite direction.
polanskiman

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 01:46:43 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2014, 02:16:25 AM by polanskiman

===
"Cryptonite-Qt" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
[Cancel] [Move to Trash]
===

As stated by the previous poster this is a Gatekeeper issue.

I compiled the MAC client you are using (if you downloaded it from http://cryptonite.info/?page=download#osx). This did not happened prior 10.9.5. In fact I have updated MAC OX from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5 and I don't get that message from my cryptonite wallet as was installed prior the MAC OS update. HOWEVER, I tried downloading the client again and I did receive that message when I tried opening the .app

If you notice the icon in the pop up message it is in fact the "Security & Privacy" icon of your MAC's System Preferences. So you should go there and in the general tab make sure that "Anywhere" is selected in the "Allow apps downloaded from:" section. Once this is done if you double click the cryptonite-qt.app again the message should be different and look something like this:

You might need to trash the .app first though and unpack it again from the .dmg file.

Unfortunately when you click "Open" the wallet still doesn't open so I am still looking into this and will revert once I've found a way to make it work properly.

This is clearly due to the 10.9.5 update who has updated some security components of MAC OX. The same cryptonite-qt.app which I installed prior the update is working perfectly fine.
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 02:10:53 AM

This time I let Bitcoin and Cryptonite get out of sync by 12 days. Started both at the same time and Bitcoin won by 20 minutes.
Bitcoin currently has a huge amount of transaction activity compared to Cryptonite yet it still is faster.
Well clearly Bitcoin needed to download a lot more data in that case, so I'm pretty sure it's mainly because Bitcoin has a lot of fast super nodes, and there are probably even less Cryptonite nodes online now compared to the last time you ran the test because the value of XCN is dropping. But the point is, it doesn't matter how long you stay offline, Cryptonite will always only download the last 10k blocks. Cryptonite should have taken almost exactly the same amount of time to sync in both of your tests. If it was slower this time it's because you weren't connected to as many fast peers.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 02:43:04 AM

Bitfreak, do you know of any way that I can raise the withdrawal limit for an address once it has been set to zero?
I don't think I've actually ever tried setting the withdrawal limit on an address to 0 and I'm not sure if it can be undone, I'll have to ask catia about it. One thing to keep in mind is that when you increase the withdrawal limit it will take 100 blocks before the withdrawal limit gets updated. But I'm not sure why it's saying you have insufficient funds, I'm guessing it has something to do with your withdrawal limit being 0. The setlimit transactions are pretty weird, the input and output address are the same, where the output value is the new limit value and the difference between the input and output values is the fee. But I think if you use a command like gettransaction it wont show the true structure of the tx, it will show a simplified version of the transaction which makes more sense.
Unfortunately I think you may be out of luck. The issue is that your new limit of 0 prevents you from paying the fee but a transaction fee is required to prevent the network from being spammed. I also believe that setlimit tx's can only have 1 input and 1 output so that it can be detected as a setlimit transaction. So basically I don't think there's any way it can be undone. Originally we were going to make a withdrawal limit of 0 signify an unlimited withdrawal limit but it made much more sense to do it the way we do it now. We probably shouldn't have allowed the limit to be set to 0, but it could be useful in certain situations where coins need to be destroyed without having to send them back to the coinbase account.

polanskiman

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 02:44:10 AM
Last edit: November 03, 2014, 12:58:46 AM by polanskiman

===
[Cancel] [Move to Trash]
===

Ok so thanks to Bitfreak we found the problem. The issue is coming from Safari who is doing something to the file while being downloaded. I recommend using Google Chrome. Unpack the cryptonite-qt.app from the .dmg file. Now, don't double click the .app. Instead Control click the app icon then select "Open". This will always allow it to run on this Mac without having the warning message each time you open the app. You only have to do this once.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
e6ug

Activity: 773
Merit: 508

Bitcore (BTX) - The Future is Now

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 03:11:38 AM

Has anyone else noticed how active the dev is in this coin?  Awesome! he never hides, or dodges questions, he is always here!!!!

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 04:58:12 AM

Unfortunately I think you may be out of luck. The issue is that your new limit of 0 prevents you from paying the fee but a transaction fee is required to prevent the network from being spammed. I also believe that setlimit tx's can only have 1 input and 1 output so that it can be detected as a setlimit transaction. So basically I don't think there's any way it can be undone. Originally we were going to make a withdrawal limit of 0 signify an unlimited withdrawal limit but it made much more sense to do it the way we do it now. We probably shouldn't have allowed the limit to be set to 0, but it could be useful in certain situations where coins need to be destroyed without having to send them back to the coinbase account.

It's an interesting entailment that setlimit0 effectively freezer burns an address.

Speaking of freezing and burning, does Cryptonite's account tree structure natively support creation of sidechains?

They are all the rage in BTC circles ATM, so if XCN does already have that functionality we should be advertising the fact.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
coind

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 05:52:31 AM

===
[Cancel] [Move to Trash]
===

As stated by the previous poster this is a Gatekeeper issue.

I compiled the MAC client you are using (if you downloaded it from http://cryptonite.info/?page=download#osx). This did not happened prior 10.9.5. In fact I have updated MAC OX from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5 and I don't get that message from my cryptonite wallet as was installed prior the MAC OS update. HOWEVER, I tried downloading the client again and I did receive that message when I tried opening the .app

If you notice the icon in the pop up message it is in fact the "Security & Privacy" icon of your MAC's System Preferences. So you should go there and in the general tab make sure that "Anywhere" is selected in the "Allow apps downloaded from:" section. Once this is done if you double click the cryptonite-qt.app again the message should be different and look something like this:

https://i.imgur.com/tk2FNyu.png

You might need to trash the .app first though and unpack it again from the .dmg file.

Unfortunately when you click "Open" the wallet still doesn't open so I am still looking into this and will revert once I've found a way to make it work properly.

This is clearly due to the 10.9.5 update who has updated some security components of MAC OX. The same cryptonite-qt.app which I installed prior the update is working perfectly fine.

Ok so thanks to Bitfreak we found the problem. The issue is coming from Safari who is doing something to the file while being downloaded. I recommend using Google Chrome. Unpack the cryptonite-qt.app from the .dmg file. Now, don't double click the .app. Instead Control click the app icon then select "Open". This will always allow it to run on this Mac without having the warning message each time you open the app. You only have to do this once.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Great !! Thanks! Now it is working  Grin
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 08:43:32 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2014, 08:57:43 AM by bitfreak!

It's an interesting entailment that setlimit0 effectively freezer burns an address.

Speaking of freezing and burning, does Cryptonite's account tree structure natively support creation of sidechains?

They are all the rage in BTC circles ATM, so if XCN does already have that functionality we should be advertising the fact.
Well I just had a quick glance at the recent sidechain paper and they describe a "two way peg" mechanism, meaning coins could be sent to the sidechain and back to the parent chain at a later point in time. Cryptonite may be limited to a "one way peg" system because once the coins have been locked by setting the withdrawal limit to 0 you can't unlock them at a later point in time, which is required in order to send them out of the sidechain and back into the parent chain. However they do mention in the sidechain paper that Bitcoin would need to undergo a soft fork for their sidechain proposal to work, so right now even Bitcoin cannot support a two way peg mechanism. So I guess if we wanted to add support for a two way peg mechanism in Cryptonite we could do the same thing and implement a soft fork by adding some new type of special transaction which increases the withdrawal limit. Although it may not be so easy for us, a hard fork may be required. You have to keep in mind that their sidechain proposal locks and unlocks coins using the scripting system, but with Cryptonite we have to approach the problem in a different way because we don't use scripts. But yes, I believe sidechains could be possible.

dogsAloud

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 11:34:42 AM

Bitfreak, do you know of any way that I can raise the withdrawal limit for an address once it has been set to zero?
I don't think I've actually ever tried setting the withdrawal limit on an address to 0 and I'm not sure if it can be undone, I'll have to ask catia about it. One thing to keep in mind is that when you increase the withdrawal limit it will take 100 blocks before the withdrawal limit gets updated. But I'm not sure why it's saying you have insufficient funds, I'm guessing it has something to do with your withdrawal limit being 0. The setlimit transactions are pretty weird, the input and output address are the same, where the output value is the new limit value and the difference between the input and output values is the fee. But I think if you use a command like gettransaction it wont show the true structure of the tx, it will show a simplified version of the transaction which makes more sense.

Bitfreak, thank you for taking time to look into this matter.  I admit that I carried out that experiment rather impulsively, and I accept full responsibility for the consequences.  I'm honestly not worried about the relatively small amount of XCN I burned, another thought bothers me more...

I don't know whether I was the first person to make this mistake, but I'm quite certain I wont be the last.  I shudder to think of someone doing this someday with a large chunk of their life savings.  Even worse, someone might do this and then wait weeks, months, or even years before trying to raise the limit.  A wallet or blockchain explorer will show that the expected funds are present any time that address is checked.  So not only has the money been lost, but the discovery of that loss has been potentially delayed to a future time when the impact on the individual is far worse.

I wont belabor the point any further, but I think it should be clear that the zero withdrawal limit feature is a Cryptonite landmine just waiting around to blow a hole in the finances of innocent people.  So you may want to consider doing one of the following in a future software update:

• Make it impossible to set the withdrawal limit lower than the minimum transaction fee.
  • Make it so that the minimum fee is paid for a setlimit transaction regardless of the withdrawal limit.
  • Have the setlimit interface issue a dire warning and require the user to respond to a query before proceeding.

The third suggestion would have stopped me from making the mistake in the first place.  I like the second suggestion for the selfish reason that it would allow me to recover my funds at some point in the future (when they might be worth a lot more than they are now).  Smiley
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 12:50:52 PM

@dogsAloud: I think the 3rd option is the best approach, we probably would have implemented it already if we had of done more thinking about what happens when the withdrawal limit is set to 0. The 2nd option is also some what attractive but it would require a change to the protocol and it would probably prevent the sidechain stuff from working properly.

Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 186 »
  Print  

Jump to: