Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:29:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] ATX PSU to 2.5 or 2.1/5.5mm 12V coaxial plug power cables [New Product!!]  (Read 68311 times)
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:43:11 PM

I want to power 4 bAsic 54Gh/s. How would you built cables to power them.  Let's suppose we know for sure each board can be powered with 100w.
Would you use one 8-pin PCIE connector per bAsic?
Can one 8-pin PCIE connector power more than one bAsic?

Here is my PSU mechanical drawing http://www.ocztechnology.com/manuals/psu/OCZ-Z850M.PDF

thanks
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 08:06:46 PM

I want to power 4 bAsic 54Gh/s. How would you built cables to power them.  Let's suppose we know for sure each board can be powered with 100w.
Would you use one 8-pin PCIE connector per bAsic?
Can one 8-pin PCIE connector power more than one bAsic?

Here is my PSU mechanical drawing http://www.ocztechnology.com/manuals/psu/OCZ-Z850M.PDF
thanks

Considering we have only hints at what the power draw will be I will leave this here as 'the safe method' so far. 

Looking at the specs of your PSU, you have twelve 12v lines coming out of the four modular 8pin PCIe connectors. Theoretically that means we could power 12 separate bASIC devices, but as your 850W PSU can only support 8 devices or less that # will have to do.

As for the cable itself I would suggest 16AWG as that would give us less voltage drop and be able to handle that kind of power for the most likely 6ft runs or more as they would probably be.

I would also make them direct to PSU cables so that we could remove any unnecessary 18AWG wire from between the power source and the bASIC and have less risk of burning. (at least until its tested thoroughly)

With that said I could build cables for you that contain up to 3 bASIC plugs each and connect directly to the PSU which should be the safe way at least until I can test other configurations out here.

Please PM me if you are still interested and thanks for the questions. Smiley

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
benny32

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 04:45:26 PM

Just wanted to leave some feedback here for Cablez.  I got my four cables and 24pin switch in the mail today and they are exactly what I was hoping for.  I wanted to replace the 10 power bricks I have for my BFL Singles with a high efficiency atx power supply and get rid of the mess.  These cables look great and they perform awesome!  Thanks again Cablez and if anyone else is on the fence consider this a glowing recommendation.
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 07:18:42 PM

Thanks very much for the kudos benny32, I am glad the cables are working well for you.

I just want to post that the transaction was quick and flawless on benny's side as well. +1 trader!!

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 10:04:54 PM

if we buy the psu's from bASIC's website would we need custom cables?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:06:25 PM

bASIC's will accept the flat 4-pin molex that comes off (almost) every PSU - so no.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 12:49:52 AM

bASIC's will accept the flat 4-pin molex that comes off (almost) every PSU - so no.

I will add one caveat to this statement: considering the bASIC draws up to 120W (for now) I would not load a molex peripheral chain with multiple devices. The 18AWG wire is really not rated for more than 15A.

In this case you would need custom cables.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 02:29:18 AM

I will add one caveat to this statement: considering the bASIC draws up to 120W (for now) I would not load a molex peripheral chain with multiple devices. The 18AWG wire is really not rated for more than 15A.

In this case you would need custom cables.

what do u mean by peripheral chain?   i could guess but i want to know exactly what u mean.
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:35:46 AM

what do u mean by peripheral chain?   i could guess but i want to know exactly what u mean.

Typically an ATX PSU will chain together 2 to 3 4pin molexes all on one cable with the intent to power several hard drives. They are all using the same 18AWG 12V wire to do this.

If you were to chain several bASIC devices this way you would overload that 18AWG wire and have a burned wire because the max is 15A or 1.5 bASIC devices.

A custom cable that takes this into account can be built to safely power multiple devices by using multiple source wires. I hope that this explanation makes it clearer, if not please ask more. Smiley 

Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 03:07:54 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 03:57:25 PM by Morblias

I just had a single power brick die and figured this would be a perfect time to order some cables from you. What cable would you suggest to power 4 BFL singles? Also would these be able to power BFL Single SC ASICs when they come out? Can they plug in via molex? The computer also has GPUs running on it so I am not sure what other free connections it has besides molex (not at home atm to check)

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:32:08 PM

I just had a single power brick die and figured this would be a perfect time to order some cables from you. What cable would you suggest to power 4 BFL singles? Also would these be able to power BFL Single SC ASICs when they come out? Can they plug in via molex? The computer also has GPUs running on it so I am not sure what other free connections it has besides molex (not at home atm to check)

Hey Morblias, 

Bad luck with that power brick.  I would be happy to set you up with cables for you power needs. In answer to your questions: Depending on what connectors you have free on your PSU we can do 4 singles with 1 or 2 cables. The BFL SC singles are in the same power envelope as the current gen singles and also uses the same connector so a cable purchased now can be re-used. The BFL single only uses a 2.5mmID/5.5mmOD coaxial plug (DC barrel jack) for power so that is all we can work with.

When you have time to check your PSU send me a PM and we can set something up. Thanks for your interest. Smiley

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:53:24 PM

Hey Morblias, 

Bad luck with that power brick.  I would be happy to set you up with cables for you power needs. In answer to your questions: Depending on what connectors you have free on your PSU we can do 4 singles with 1 or 2 cables. The BFL SC singles are in the same power envelope as the current gen singles and also uses the same connector so a cable purchased now can be re-used. The BFL single only uses a 2.5mmID/5.5mmOD coaxial plug (DC barrel jack) for power so that is all we can work with.

When you have time to check your PSU send me a PM and we can set something up. Thanks for your interest. Smiley

I'd like to know too,so I'll be wanting to know the outcome of this,please  Wink

I'll post the specs for the PSU I intend to use a little later.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Morblias

Activity: 576

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 06:07:24 AM

Hey Morblias, 

I'd like to know too,so I'll be wanting to know the outcome of this,please  Wink

I'll post the specs for the PSU I intend to use a little later.

I had a free CPU 4 pin plug in that will be used for 2 barrel connectors and also a GPU 6 pin for 3 barrel connectors. 5 Should be enough for now Smiley

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
infamousdutch

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 02:51:59 AM

FYI:  Cablez delivers high quality products.  I have placed several orders with him and have never been disappointed.   

Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 04:55:03 AM

FYI:  Cablez delivers high quality products.  I have placed several orders with him and have never been disappointed.   

Thank you for the vote of confidence.  I will say that my dealings with infamousdutch have gone super smooth and he has been very reputable. Smiley

Joshwaa

Activity: 497

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 09:25:05 PM

I would like a cable made a couple actually. I have a BFL Single and would like to plug it in to a Seasonic X750 PSU. Also I would like a individually wraped main power and EPS12V power cable. Let me know if you would consider making these.

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:05:32 PM

I would like a cable made a couple actually. I have a BFL Single and would like to plug it in to a Seasonic X750 PSU. Also I would like a individually wraped main power and EPS12V power cable. Let me know if you would consider making these.

Sure, I would be happy to help you out.  Please PM me and we can discuss specifics.

panda1

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 12:06:37 AM

Another successful order with Cablez completed.  Thanks Cablez!
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 01:37:26 AM

Another successful order with Cablez completed.  Thanks Cablez!

Thank you as well.  panda1 gets another +1 from me. Smiley

Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:38:12 PM

EDIT: 3-28-2013   It has been one year since I started selling my cables here to help the FPGA mining community and I just wanted to say thank you for keeping this endeavor going. I always new it was a niche project but it was fun and allowed me to positively occupy my time.    Thank you guys again.

Because of current BTC pricing I will no longer list my prices as they become irrelevant too quickly. Just PM me for a quote.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: