Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:06:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] ATX PSU to 2.5 or 2.1/5.5mm 12V coaxial plug power cables [New Product!!]  (Read 68311 times)
Cobra

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:49:23 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 07:42:15 AM by Cobra

I like the idea that miaviator had with an in-line fuse simply for protection for use with a scrypt-only cables.  It would be nice to have a separate cable at 5V to power a few USB hubs as well.
I understand that it would get very time consuming to have custom cables for everyone so I support whatever decision you come up with. I had originally thought I would use dual-mode for a little while but have changed my mind on that.

Ideally I would like to power 20 devices in scrypt only mode plus a few usb hubs at 5v per power supply.  As per our previous PM conversation I am ready to order cables to power 40 units whenever yo start production of these.

Edit: Just thinking out of the box, for SCRYPT ONLY I wonder if a cctv power distribution box would work 12V and 1A per channel. At $43 to power 9 devices would be very economical.
http://www.videosecu.com/9-channel-12v-dc-distributed-power-supply-box-pwd91sm/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:47:55 AM

I too will be looking to initially power about 20 Gridseed miners, 2 controllers and 2 USB hubs. Scrypt only with some type of safety against an accidental dual mode setup would be ideal.

Would like to use a Corsair AX series modular power supply with the cables plugged directly into the power supply.

I think 10 units per PCIe cable should be considered. I believe this would allow me to run 80 Gridseed miners off an AX1200 using less than 800W for the miners?

wasubii

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:33:17 AM

Very interested in cables to match up with spotswoods cases.

My preference would be (just to throw it out there) 5 or 10 coaxial plugs per PCIE with spacing as per the spots wood design (scrypt only!)

I would also buy a double headed 5v coaxial for the two USB hubs required for each set of 20 miners. I would also buy a micro USB 5v cable for the TP link controller device.

Then all the components needed for a set of 20 miners and accessories could run from one ATX PSU - PERFECTO!
testthewhiterabbit

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:41:03 AM

My preference is 15-18 leads per PCI-E cable, and scrypt only.  I would not run these in dual mode.  Having an inline fuse would be useful in case of mistakenly enabling dual mining mode.

As for length, I'd go up to 1 meter for flexibility. With a single cable going from 20cm and scaling up in groups of 2s or 4s to 100cm.

I'm ready to purchase enough for 50 miners right away, and likely for another 100+ miners in the near future.
darkfriend77

Activity: 434
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 01:19:29 PM

I would be statisfied with a gridseed cable with 5-10 plugs ... 1 m size.

... need at least 10-20 of them ...

-:| www.DOTMog.com |:-
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:47:22 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.  I currently have two designs that I am refining right now and am also recruiting some local help to get this done.

The first design is a simple 5 RA DC plug cable going to a single PCIe connector. I have to work out the the exact length and pitch needed for some flexibility in miner position. If anyone has some measurements on how long 5 miners are end to end 'a la Spotswood' please post it here. Also, if you could measure the power plug distance that would be helpful as well. Thanks.

The other design is a modular type cable that could have up to 15 plugs per PCIe connector. So far I am having trouble sourcing heavy duty parts for this but I am on it. The nice part about this design is if I can make it one would only need to purchase the PCIe adapter and up to 3 'splitters' depending on how many miners they have. This way I can have single plugs for dual miners and up to 5 plugs for scrypt ones all from a single PCIe wire pair.

What do you guys think about these ideas? I will try to put up basic drawings later to give a feel for the designs but right now I must get back to work. Later

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
darkfriend77

Activity: 434
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 04:08:33 PM

The other design is a modular type cable that could have up to 15 plugs per PCIe connector. So far I am having trouble sourcing heavy duty parts for this but I am on it. The nice part about this design is if I can make it one would only need to purchase the PCIe adapter and up to 3 'splitters' depending on how many miners they have. This way I can have single plugs for dual miners and up to 5 plugs for scrypt ones all from a single PCIe wire pair.

Very very interesting idear ... looking forward to it ...

-:| www.DOTMog.com |:-
incognitoworker

Activity: 736
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:55:10 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.  I currently have two designs that I am refining right now and am also recruiting some local help to get this done.

The first design is a simple 5 RA DC plug cable going to a single PCIe connector. I have to work out the the exact length and pitch needed for some flexibility in miner position. If anyone has some measurements on how long 5 miners are end to end 'a la Spotswood' please post it here. Also, if you could measure the power plug distance that would be helpful as well. Thanks.

What do you guys think about these ideas? I will try to put up basic drawings later to give a feel for the designs but right now I must get back to work. Later

I would love 15 plugs per PCIe connector!
Only scrypt mining anyway.

Quotient- Closed loop economy enviroment experiment
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1195335.0
GodfatherBond

Activity: 264

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:41:14 PM

I would be statisfied with a gridseed cable with 5-10 plugs ... 1 m size.

... need at least 10-20 of them ...
I wish to buy also this kind of cable X 10 from ATX PSU to Gridseed unit. Shoud I PM or how this works best?
( QTY 4 PSU Modular or PCI-E to 3 barrel plug cables. )
daddyfatsax

Activity: 857

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:25:26 AM

I would be interested in enough cables for 20 Gridseed's in scrypt mode only.
misc2012-de

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:18:51 AM

Hey guys,

Sounds awesome, a complete kit with powercable for TP-Link/Rasp Pi-Controller, Powercables for those Gridseed miners & Power supply to an USB Hub. I think that's what we need.
ADutchGamer

Activity: 43

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 11:05:47 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2014, 11:26:01 AM by ADutchGamer

I've been thinking about this and might have a solution(might be completely off as well).

If I understand this correctly you can pull the power for 5 dual gridseed miners or 15 scrypt gridseed miners off one PCIe port.

Why not take the simple route: create a cable for 5 dual miners and offer up extension cords of 3 plugs to make these work for scrypt miners. Give these clear names like: "gridseed power cord" and "gridseed SCRYPT extension". I think this should make this relatively idiot proof.

You might also be able to make a complete package(this is written without knowledge of the power usage for the hub and controller):
"gridseed power cord" with 4 dual miner plugs and added wires for the usb hub and controller.
"gridseed SCRYPT extension" with plugs for 4 gridseed devices.
maybe a power button/cable/whatever to turn on the PSU?

edit: To make this more modular you might be able to just go with the 5 plug power cord and offer extensions cords for controllers and usb hubs.
also: if people start daisychaining these extension cords and something blows up/burns I would think this is on them. You have tried to protect them (with the names)and they chose to ignore you

slightly different idea:
Default package:
"gridseed power cord" with 5 plugs that do not fit the gridseeds.
"gridseed dual mining plugs" converts unusable plug into dual miner plug

Optional extras/replacements for convertor plugs
"gridseed SCRYPT extension" with plugs for 3 or 4 gridseed devices.
"gridseed hub and controller extension" name says everything.(this could have different parts depending on the customers order/hardware)
power button to turn on the PSU
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:02:00 PM

@ADutchGamer - you read my mind. Smiley  Here is my modular cable design for ATX powering of gridseed miners.

Link: https://i.imgur.com/tw621Q4.jpg

You can see from the design that this setup allows for dual mode miners to run safely with only 3 plugs per PCIe and allows for expansion of up to 15 plugs for scrypt miners on a single PCIe connector from the PSU. It also works well for those with 10 units as it leaves a single plug free to power a 12V usb hub if needed.

I have pretty much finalized the design except for the actual lengths needed. I could really use some help on that from anyone who has these units. I need to know approximately how long 5 units are end to end similar to how they would be in a spotswood case and also how far apart the individual plugs on the units are (pitch).

I have been pointed to a manufacturing house and will be getting a quote in to them as soon as the BOM, final measurements and order tally are finished. Once that is done I should get the prototype for testing from them and have pricing for you guys. If you haven't already drop a message here or in PM about how many devices you will be powering so I can determine what size order to put in, thanks.

If you have any comments or questions please feel free.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Mudflap

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:03:29 PM

@ADutchGamer - you read my mind. Smiley  Here is my modular cable design for ATX powering of gridseed miners.

I have pretty much finalized the design except for the actual lengths needed. I could really use some help on that from anyone who has these units. I need to know approximately how long 5 units are end to end similar to how they would be in a spotswood case and also how far apart the individual plugs on the units are (pitch).

http://s30.postimg.org/g23ojeogh/P1010041.jpg

Hope this helps, PS I will join the queue for a cable. (running 12 miners, Contoller/PI and USB hub)
Mudflap

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:21:14 PM

And ........

http://s24.postimg.org/v9k8a4aad/P1010040.jpg
daddyfatsax

Activity: 857

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:28:39 PM

Looks awesome Cablez. Can't wait to grab some of these.
Mudflap

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:46:46 PM

And finally:-

http://s28.postimg.org/g2q8ka2wt/P1010043.jpg

Not sue if that guy is runing with or without the fans, but it should give you something to work with.....
merlin3650

Activity: 44
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:54:55 PM

I agree with incognitoworker. I plan on getting into scrypt mining with these and would like to see 12 miners per pcie plug. Please let me know if this will happen as well. I will keep watching the thread for updates.
Cablez (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:52:43 PM

Thanks very much Mudflap, that is just what I needed. Smiley   I will tweak the final measurements a bit and issue a quote request with the manufacturer. Stay tuned.

Mudflap

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:56:46 PM

Thanks very much Mudflap, that is just what I needed. Smiley   I will tweak the final measurements a bit and issue a quote request with the manufacturer. Stay tuned.

Glad to be of help, don't forget my name when I order!!!!  Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: