Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:45:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what should I do, I invested a lot  (Read 12455 times)
Teppino

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

bitcoin hates walls

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:07:58 PM

You often can tell good advices from bad ones from the simple fact that the latters comes almost always with insults or fear inducing clues like "cut losses now or lose everything".
Good advices are seldom trying to force you do anything but rather try to reason you by means of logic.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chuckee

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:12:39 PM

First of all, don't listen to the idiots on here.

yeah great advice from one of them.

You are idiot! I have successfully shorted bitcoin since $600, which makes me an intelligent gentleman.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7977

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:13:05 PM

You often can tell good advices from bad ones from the simple fact that the latters comes almost always with insults or fear inducing clues like "cut losses now or lose everything".
Good advices are seldom trying to force you do anything but rather try to reason you by means of logic.

You don't know the good advice from the bad until it is too late.
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:14:18 PM

hi, I invested a lot at the beginning of this year thinking bitcoin would have risen again as usual, I bought many btc when it was 830 and some after when it was 660. I waited for the pump but things are getting bad. I am wo4ried. I am 26 yo I am not rich and I invested a lot of my savings. I can live without, ok, but they were my savings. What should I do now? is this the end? Will bitcoin rise again at least until 830?

Hey I can sympathize you.  I've lost a lot of money in stocks before as well.  I think the thing you should do is sell as much of your holdings to get to a position you can accept losing everything.

You are stressed out because your position is too big.  The price might go up or down more.  Nobody knows.  What you know is the size of your position and how much you stand to win OR lose.  Try to think defensively out it

Ignore the pumpers here.  They are perma bulls.  They don't care about your money.  I have no position so I don't care if price of bitcoin goes up or down.  I just don't like to see people get suckered into a pyramid/ pump & dump
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:16:22 PM

First of all, don't listen to the idiots on here.

yeah great advice from one of them.

You are idiot! I have successfully shorted bitcoin since $600, which makes me an intelligent gentleman.

Then you are the dude who took Impross88's money!  He has no need for your advice, he needs your money.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:19:52 PM

i pray God things are as you say. I hold on so far but now things are getting serious. Months passed and I have only lost money. My idea at the beginning was optimistic, I said, in late 2013 it went down, in 2014 it will, it has to rise again, as usual. But so far, I was wrong.
I can tell you, I invested more than 80% of all I had. If my parents knew that... I would be in serious trouble. Part of it was their present for my 18 years and for my university studies.

I have been in and out, going short and going long in Bitcoin and since 2014, have been losing money big time. Finally, I decided to bite the bullet and try and swallow the buy and hold pill for several weeks whilst I worked offshore, just as all my merry chums on this forum suggested that I should do.

I bought at $620 about 6 weeks ago. Refusing to take another single hit whilst Bitcoin bobbed around sub $600, I held. Afterall, Buy and hold is a tactic! As the baseline of the descending triangle was broken through, I decided to sell at $545. Bitstamp website fucked up my sell order however, so I took it as a 'sign', that I should hold. But the dumps kept on coming so I market sold at $535, cementing another $1500+ loss.

Perhaps my purest experiment in 'buy n hold' is with Litecoin. I initially bought at $11, sold at $41. Then with my profits, I bought at $37 and have held ever since. Litecoin is now worth 10* less than what I ploughed into it. I never intended to deploy a 'buy n hold' strategy with Litecoin, I just didn't care about it for some fucking mysterious reason. That will be another $1500 I can add to my 2014 crypto losses. A similar story can be told with Quark, except that Quark was a pure loss as I never made any profit in Quark ever and bought at 50% level from the very top in Dec 2013.

My suspicion is that we have had our crypto craze and now all the wild exuberant hype that has been factored into the price, will be steadily deflated from the market as speculators start to realise that the mania has died down, resulting in bounces that repeatedly fail to turn the bear trend technicals on their heads, resulting in increasing volumes of investment capital leaving Bitcoin, resulting in it being increasingly harder for investors to take profit out of the market, resulting in ever more capital leaving the market, resulting in steadily declining prices. As an example, I have gradually went from swishing ~$25K around in Bitcoin, to having finally withdrawn my last $7K (I never lost $18K, but have been winding down exposure gradually, in addition to losing probably around $5K-$7K) from Bitstamp back to the safety of my bank account. I now represent $0 of the Bitcoin market. As the recessive nature of the Bitcoin market ensures that there increasingly more losers than winners, there will be more and more people like me with my psychological stance towards Bitcoin, both with deep pockets as well as with shallow pockets.

If you follow Elliot Wave theory, and believe that we are in a Primary corrective Wave 4 at the moment, then Bitcoin is projected to hit $200 range sometime between now and Dec 2014. It might not do this. Perhaps some world event that somehow causes a panic flight into Bitcoin or some fairy godfather multi billion dollar hedge fund will start piling into Bitcoin with purchases on all the big exchanges. But this is the sort of thing that will be required to truly turn the inevitable and time tested post bubble market sentiment around.

If you can bare it, I would suggest that Bitcoin definitely has a future beyond this corrective Wave 4 which I believe we are in. It is up to you to decide upon what you think is the logical state of market sentiment right now.

Even amongst the most rampant bulls on this site, I am seeing signs of self delusion. I refer specifically to rpteilia's 'calling the bottom' thread (the bottom was $500). I read that and though to myself "this guy is shitting himself".

Another good example would be Ibian (net bagholder since $800) who upon hearing of the Bitcoin ETF that is to start trading out of the Channel Islands from Sept 2014, stated (and I paraphrase);
"oh man, this sucks, Bitcoin is away to take off man and I can't get any fresh funds to the exchange man and this means that I am going to totally miss out on the price explosion that is definitely going to happen man!"
That should have been a warning sign for me to sell at a small loss, but I never acted and suffered a large loss.

As for bottoms, I would suggest that the big hammer bar on the 4hr chart that took as down to $440 is as good as a reversal sign as you are going to get. Watch Bitcoin closely. I suspect it could get up to around $520 before bounce momentum runs out. Perhaps higher, who knows. If your outlook is bearish, then you shouldn't have any problems recognising when the momentum is about to run out on the retest of whatever 'high' it produces in the first instance. Look for negative divergences in peaks on RSI, OBV, etc on 4hr chart.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
valvalis

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

DeFixy.com - The future of Decentralization

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:20:42 PM

I invested more than 80% of all I had. If my parents knew that... I would be in serious trouble. Part of it was their present for my 18 years and for my university studies.

This is part of why common advice is to not invest more than you can afford to lose - it leads to having to make decisions based mostly on emotion. 

You can read what people have to say here, but ultimately most posters and traders have their own agendas, and it can be difficult to differentiate that from legitimate advice for you.  Buying in for the first time on the upswing of the most recent bubble is a very tough position to be in, though.  Personally, I would suggest asking yourself if you believe in the underlying fundamentals of the technology, and whether it has room to grow.

I hope your parents know about it.
You shouldn't invest funds for you university studies.
It's better to tell you parents about it.  Make this as a lesson and do not repeat the same mistakes.

█▌▐█
▄██████▄▄
  ▀████████▄
     ▀███████
       ▀██████
         ▀█████
           ████
         ▄█████
       ▄█████
     ▄███████
  ▄████████▀
▀██████▀▀
  █▌▐█
..DeFiXy.......████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
███   ██████████████   ███████   █████████   ██   █████   ██████████████████   ████
.$0.50.
███████   ██   █████████   ██   ███████████   ███████████   ███████████   █████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.......JOIN NOW..
Teppino

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

bitcoin hates walls

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:21:32 PM

Tell that to the OP. He's in panic and about to sell.
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:06:13 PM

Impros88,
     What comes through your post is the anguish and panic.  This is the cause of every bad decision.
Here's something that might ease your fears:
"+ 6 addresses greater than 1000 BTC
Yesterday they took the opportunity to accumulate."
from
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=441336.160
The super duper bitcoin bad boys are long and going longer. 
Does that tell you something?
njcarlos

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:08:53 PM

Like others have said, the upside potential is greater than the downside. Unfortunately, you've waited too long to cut any significant losses and doing so at this point would mean you'd have to watch the market like a hawk to call the bottom and get back in, just hoping to recoup some losses. Sure you could sell now and maybe limit some further losses, but you're gambling again. Don't take my advice, but for what it's worth if it were me, I'd hold tight and pray for the best, unfortunately.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:21:58 PM

There are a few problems with your strategy.

1. Bitcoin was never intended as an "investment". It does not behave like one and it would be extremely risky to try treating it like one. This is a social experiment and could go away tomorrow or it could be huge.

2. When investing follow the two most important rules: Only invest in something you completely understand and never invest any money unless you are willing to lose all of it.

3. Asking someone else what the price is going to be is a waste of time. Sure, you may find people with bold predictions, but they do not know anything you don't. No one knows.

best of luck

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
howaboutya

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:26:01 PM

In my opinion you should just buy all you can afford (to lose) and hold your bitcoins long term.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:27:02 PM

In my opinion you should just buy all you can afford (to lose) and hold your bitcoins long term.

heh, I think that's what got him into this trouble in the first place.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Chuckee

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:29:07 PM

heh, I think that's what got him into this trouble in the first place.

Bitcoin fanatic logic: Price is tanking... so buy more!!!

In any other market, people call that "compulsive gambling" and urge treatment for it. Something to consider, fellows.
njcarlos

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:32:34 PM

Bitcoin fanatic logic: Price is tanking... so buy more!!!

In any other market, people call that "compulsive gambling" and urge treatment for it. Something to consider, fellows.
This strategy worked pretty good for my Ford holdings. It's not always gambling, sometimes it's just common sense.
redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:37:02 PM

Tell your family you're a failure who lost all this money on magic internet shit, then kill your kids, your wife, and then finally yourself to ensure the cycle of stupidity ends with your line.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:45:32 PM

Tell your family you're a failure who lost all this money on magic internet shit, then kill your kids, your wife, and then finally yourself to ensure the cycle of stupidity ends with your line.

Cheesy   Lost your shirt did ya?

NM: Turns out you're just another buttcoin/somethingawful loser.   Remember when you guys were relevant? Me neither.

I suppose at least to our benefit you're so shitty at trolling that we don't even have to guess if you are or not. 

Thank-god for ignore.
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:20:18 PM

hi, I invested a lot at the beginning of this year thinking bitcoin would have risen again as usual, I bought many btc when it was 830 and some after when it was 660. I waited for the pump but things are getting bad. I am wo4ried. I am 26 yo I am not rich and I invested a lot of my savings. I can live without, ok, but they were my savings. What should I do now? is this the end? Will bitcoin rise again at least until 830?

If you sell now, you lose.

You haven't lost anything at this point until you sell your BTC. hold onto them.
Wait for the market to bounce. A lot of market manipulation going on right now.
Part of me thinks this is to shake out the weak hands before the next pump.

i pray God things are as you say. I hold on so far but now things are getting serious. Months passed and I have only lost money. My idea at the beginning was optimistic, I said, in late 2013 it went down, in 2014 it will, it has to rise again, as usual. But so far, I was wrong.
I can tell you, I invested more than 80% of all I had. If my parents knew that... I would be in serious trouble. Part of it was their present for my 18 years and for my university studies.

MRKLYE gave you the best advice. I would not panic yet if I were you. You can sell now at a loss if you believe we are going to $0 and this is the beginning of the end for bitcoin. No one really knows to be honest. But it seems like your mood/confidence on bitcoin is going with the flow of whatever the general sentiment is. What has changed (besides price) since you bought bitcoin? There are still a lot of developments and plans in queue, and we may not see anything positive price wise until next year. Didn't you think there would be a risk to this investment? We are seeing the risk now... everything looks bleak and general confidence is low. Will you fold now and take the loss? Or are you going to accept this risk and have a chance at making your money back + more... even if it takes 1-2 years?

Also, dude you are 18.... losing a few grand is not a big deal. If you were married with kids used up 80% of your savings.. then I'd be worried. I have lost over $15,000 investing in stock market / crypto since 2008.... no fucks given. But a part of me says that I will eventually make it up with bitcoin.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:15:22 PM

Impros88,
     What comes through your post is the anguish and panic.  This is the cause of every bad decision.
Here's something that might ease your fears:
"+ 6 addresses greater than 1000 BTC
Yesterday they took the opportunity to accumulate."
from
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=441336.160
The super duper bitcoin bad boys are long and going longer. 
Does that tell you something?

I doubt it tells him anything.  He doesn't know the basics of investing or he wouldn't have bet the farm.  Long and short are advanced terms...

xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:29:40 PM

Tell that to the OP. He's in panic and about to sell.

Okay.  Hey Impross88!
  Dai nemici mi guardo io, dagli amici mi guardi id dio!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: