Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:04:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what should I do, I invested a lot  (Read 12455 times)
Impros88 (OP)

Activity: 293
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:14:47 PM

hi, I invested a lot at the beginning of this year thinking bitcoin would have risen again as usual, I bought many btc when it was 830 and some after when it was 660. I waited for the pump but things are getting bad. I am wo4ried. I am 26 yo I am not rich and I invested a lot of my savings. I can live without, ok, but they were my savings. What should I do now? is this the end? Will bitcoin rise again at least until 830?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 02:16:29 PM

hi, I invested a lot at the beginning of this year thinking bitcoin would have risen again as usual, I bought many btc when it was 830 and some after when it was 660. I waited for the pump but things are getting bad. I am wo4ried. I am 26 yo I am not rich and I invested a lot of my savings. I can live without, ok, but they were my savings. What should I do now? is this the end? Will bitcoin rise again at least until 830?

If you sell now, you lose.

You haven't lost anything at this point until you sell your BTC. hold onto them.
Wait for the market to bounce. A lot of market manipulation going on right now.
Part of me thinks this is to shake out the weak hands before the next pump.

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Impros88 (OP)

Activity: 293

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:23:44 PM

You haven't lost anything at this point until you sell your BTC. hold onto them.

i pray God things are as you say. I hold on so far but now things are getting serious. Months passed and I have only lost money. My idea at the beginning was optimistic, I said, in late 2013 it went down, in 2014 it will, it has to rise again, as usual. But so far, I was wrong.
I can tell you, I invested more than 80% of all I had. If my parents knew that... I would be in serious trouble. Part of it was their present for my 18 years and for my university studies.
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:27:49 PM

I invested more than 80% of all I had. If my parents knew that... I would be in serious trouble. Part of it was their present for my 18 years and for my university studies.

This is part of why common advice is to not invest more than you can afford to lose - it leads to having to make decisions based mostly on emotion. 

You can read what people have to say here, but ultimately most posters and traders have their own agendas, and it can be difficult to differentiate that from legitimate advice for you.  Buying in for the first time on the upswing of the most recent bubble is a very tough position to be in, though.  Personally, I would suggest asking yourself if you believe in the underlying fundamentals of the technology, and whether it has room to grow.
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:30:12 PM

Yeah, don't sell. I know it's scary when the price drops, but at the end of the day nothing's changed fundamentally - the technology is still sound.

Try and do something to take your mind off it - I just lost a bunch of (fiat) money with the crazy flash crash we just had on BTC-e, was really pissed off... But I just took a walk outside, enjoyed a cold beer, and now I feel a lot better.  Wink
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:30:15 PM

Try to remember this is a long term investment and the fundamentals are still great. The downside potential from here is quite low, while the upside potential is very high. When market is feeling despair and fundamentals are strong, it is typically the best time to buy, but most people panic and sell.

It's rough going through your first bitcoin crash, but hang in there. Imagine how people felt in 2011 crashing from $32 to $2. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=741236.0
Vindihaaret

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 02:30:38 PM

As MRKLYE said, if you sell now you loose. Just hang in there.
 I was in the same situation not long ago. Looks pretty bad when everything keeps falling down, but after rain comes sun. Hang on and enjoy the ride. Smiley
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:31:42 PM

What was the time frame you were hoping to make money from?

I put money in expecting it to be a multi-year deal. This year has been lots of flailing and noise but things are quietly being put together that'll pay off long term.

I'd be worrying if it was still ping ponging around the $3-600s far into next year, but won't be sweating until that transpires.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:35:43 PM

I once bought some coins at 180$ on the climb to 266$ .  Some laughed at me when it crashed....  I sold them at 850$   
(bought some of them back now)

its the same story every climb and crash
just wait

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:37:21 PM

1. You should not have invested more than you could accept losing.
2. Only you can make this decision. It's a gamble. Lots of people believe the price will rise again, but even if it does this could take *years*. You could always cash part out just so you aren't totally broke... 50% maybe?

If it were me, I'd hold, since I believe in the long term potential. But this would be over a time scale of years.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
Schickeria

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:41:55 PM

That's hard. You should not have invested in this form. It's even harder to give you some advice now.

In your position I would refuse to sell, waiting and hoping for 830, to load off a heavy part of your holdings. That could sound a bit insane as I would guess if it rises to 830 it will rise more. But it seems that you have invested to much.

It's nearly impossible to give a good advice, as it depends on a lot of factors, starting with your own personality.
If I invest (no matter in what) from start on my investment has gone to 0,00$ (in my mind), that makes strong. But you can't do it that way, if you invest too much.
Jesu

Activity: 166

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:43:28 PM

All you can do is hold and wait, but bitcoin is just like any other investment and you should only invest what you can afford to lose. Clearly you didn't and unfortunately some people just have to learn the hard way on that.
Honeybooboo

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:45:41 PM

I think a lot of people are in your position op. A lot of people saw bitcoin as a magical money making machine and got in at the peak with all the excitement when it seemed like it was only on its way up and up, though people quickly realised it could go both ways.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 02:50:24 PM

The price of Bitcoin is not some straight line that always goes up, sometimes it goes down. But the fact remains, you still have the same amount of Bitcoins that you've always had. Its a bad idea to buy high and sell low if you intend to make a profit.

Either buy more low or take a vacation.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Ektra

Activity: 137
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:00:38 PM

Do you still believe in the future of BTC and plan to stay in long term? If so, then selling now would not really be advantageous to you unless you plan to keep watch and buy back in at lower prices (which to be fair seems a fairly good chance of happening right now).
masterluc
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:07:00 PM

Rich people need donators  Grin

Ektra

Activity: 137
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:17:55 PM

The other thing is that it's one thing for a newcomer to look at the charts, see all the bubbles and think 'oh this is easy, just buy and wait' . What they fail to take account of is all the bits on the charts where the price was crashing, often unexpectedly. It's not like this is the first time people have bought in near to an ATH and felt like a sucker later.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:20:00 PM

i pray God things are as you say. I hold on so far but now things are getting serious. Months passed and I have only lost money. My idea at the beginning was optimistic, I said, in late 2013 it went down, in 2014 it will, it has to rise again, as usual. But so far, I was wrong.
I can tell you, I invested more than 80% of all I had. If my parents knew that... I would be in serious trouble. Part of it was their present for my 18 years and for my university studies.
I invest 100% except beer money. My parents do know that. My old man also has a few coins, and he is worried but not dumb enough to sell at a loss.

Hold your coins. It will pay off.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Chuckee

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:21:38 PM

First of all, don't listen to the idiots on here. That's what got you into this situation in the first place. The "buy and hold" is a sales tactic of the early investors so they can cash out their bitcoin slowly overtime without the price crashing. Many on here will tell you that since you've held for this long, you might as well stick it out. They'll tell you that we've bottomed out (rpitiela and others) or that "this has all happened before" because they either want to sell to you, or they're also in over their heads and misery enjoys company.

You can choose to stick it out if you like and pray for a rebound, but just keep in mind that there is no goldren rule that we won't continue to drop and nothing is off limits, including $300s, $200s or worse.
falllling

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:28:34 PM

First of all, don't listen to the idiots on here. That's what got you into this situation in the first place. The "buy and hold" is a sales tactic of the early investors so they can cash out their bitcoin slowly overtime without the price crashing. Many on here will tell you that since you've held for this long, you might as well stick it out. They'll tell you that we've bottomed out (rpitiela and others) or that "this has all happened before" because they either want to sell to you, or they're also in over their heads and misery enjoys company.

You can choose to stick it out if you like and pray for a rebound, but just keep in mind that there is no goldren rule that we won't continue to drop and nothing is off limits, including $300s, $200s or worse.

agreed
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: