Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:35:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 [1848] 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312371 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 04:21:17 PM

The ledger may incur a second twist, and that is they will most likely be changing the seed word format from 25 to 24 words to match the rest of the wallets they support.  The only concern here is there is a reliable way to either convert these wallets to the 25 word form or somehow else see their seed word format supported by other software (inc. the standard cli and GUI).

The 25th word is just a checksum and not actually a part of the seed itself - it's always one of the seed words and is calculated from the seed itself, so I don't think this is an issue at all.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 04:48:46 PM

The ledger may incur a second twist, and that is they will most likely be changing the seed word format from 25 to 24 words to match the rest of the wallets they support.  The only concern here is there is a reliable way to either convert these wallets to the 25 word form or somehow else see their seed word format supported by other software (inc. the standard cli and GUI).

The 25th word is just a checksum and not actually a part of the seed itself - it's always one of the seed words and is calculated from the seed itself, so I don't think this is an issue at all.

Then we would still want to know what the checksum word is.  Or to make sure the monero wallets can be restored from only 24 keys.

I agree it is likely trivial, but it will still have to be dealt with.  You have a 24 word seed and you need to get into a standard wallet...
Cryptock

Activity: 1792
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 04:57:24 PM

For me after these 4 years monero is still a coin with everything to just rise up and never stop, i hope it will be doing so.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
fromholland

Activity: 280
Merit: 107

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 04:59:25 PM

forgive my ignorance, but what's that 25 word seed that you're referring to?

ultegra

Activity: 40
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:18:00 PM

For safekeeping you're probably better off just using paper wallets. Or if paper is too unreliable medium to store information for you, you can use cryptosteel.com

oh they are a thing of beauty, although knowing my clumsy hands i would end up dropping it overboard like i did with my paperwallet
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4894

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:13:09 PM

For safekeeping you're probably better off just using paper wallets. Or if paper is too unreliable medium to store information for you, you can use cryptosteel.com

oh they are a thing of beauty, although knowing my clumsy hands i would end up dropping it overboard like i did with my paperwallet

Then powder coat or galvanize it so it doesn't corrode to much while your retrieving it from the depths. Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:07:24 PM

Then powder coat or galvanize it so it doesn't corrode to much while your retrieving it from the depths. Cheesy

They are made of stainless steel.  The do not corrode.  They are pretty damn well military grade.  I have one.  Worth it IMHO even though expensive.
fromholland

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:32:12 PM

forgive my ignorance, but what's that 25 word seed that you're referring to?
My Ledger Nano S has 24 words?

pönde

Activity: 308
Merit: 109

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:34:13 PM

They are made of stainless steel.  The do not corrode.  They are pretty damn well military grade.  I have one.  Worth it IMHO even though expensive.

With cryptosteel there is a risk to open the bolts somehow and to mix the letters.

But if you just buy an ordinary metal stamping tool kit
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/metal-stamping-kit

and hammer the seed to a steel or aluminum plate, there is no such risk. And you can make as many back ups as you want. With very low cost.
fromholland

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:41:24 PM

was waiting forever to get back some @ .0272
Another opportunity was there today  Wink

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 08:46:39 PM

I mean how much risk are you comfortable with 100xmr, 1000, 10?

That is a VERY good question.  

The way I see it currently we have two choices coming:

1.  Ledger:  Established company.  Hardware proven.  Track record of handling security issues well etc.
2.  Monero proprietary wallet.  Based on FOS design, specific to XMR.

I think BOTH devices share a common risk.  And that is you want to make sure there is no way for your funds to be stolen with some sort of attack.  Either on the hardware, or in between the HW and the SW on the computer.  

I bought a Ledger, and I have not decided how much I am willing to risk there.

I recently bought a Ledger as well - mainly in hopes of moving some xmr over.

However, now I'm leaning towards just putting linux on a usb stick with a wallet there? Is there really that great of a security benefit for ledger vs a wallet on a usb stick? I'm just going to throw both in the fire safe.

A hardware wallet is not just security.  It is convenience with security.  Easily take a large amount with you traveling, and top up your Monerujo as required, without risking large amounts.  Drop it overboard?  Confiscated in customs?  Too bad, buy or retrieve another one, and restore from your seed.  or have several set up with the same seed/pass, cached at strategic locations where you travel frequently.  There are many options.  Decoy wallets installed to mitigate the $5 wrench attack, multiple wallets for different coins, all on the same device/seed (not the Monero only one obviously).  

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:25:09 PM

1.  Ledger:  Established company.  Hardware proven.  Track record of handling security issues well etc.
2.  Monero proprietary wallet.  Based on FOS design, specific to XMR.

I think BOTH devices share a common risk.  And that is you want to make sure there is no way for your funds to be stolen with some sort of attack.  Either on the hardware, or in between the HW and the SW on the computer. 

The ledger may incur a second twist, and that is they will most likely be changing the seed word format from 25 to 24 words to match the rest of the wallets they support.  The only concern here is there is a reliable way to either convert these wallets to the 25 word form or somehow else see their seed word format supported by other software (inc. the standard cli and GUI).

However, now I'm leaning towards just putting linux on a usb stick with a wallet there? Is there really that great of a security benefit for ledger vs a wallet on a usb stick? I'm just going to throw both in the fire safe.

A hardware wallet is not just security.  It is convenience with security.  Easily take a large amount with you traveling, and top up your Monerujo as required, without risking large amounts.  Drop it overboard?  Confiscated in customs?  Too bad, buy or retrieve another one, and restore from your seed.  or have several set up with the same seed/pass, cached at strategic locations where you travel frequently.  There are many options.  Decoy wallets installed to mitigate the $5 wrench attack, multiple wallets for different coins, all on the same device/seed (not the Monero only one obviously). 

Yeah.  I am a pretty big fan of the concept.  And while not arguable AS secure is a deep freeze paper wallet it is damn close.  And with the decoys etc in some ways even better.

That said, I do not think it would be impossible to add at least a couple other "big" coins to the Monero wallet, for example at least BTC?
johnalan

Activity: 200
Merit: 47

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:43:31 PM

feeling hurt?
upset?
disgusted?

Nov 5th 2017 we traded at 80bucks

a month and a half later we were at 500usd

the Monero upswing will be violent, I certainly won't be short https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIpHuJNod3s.

What's he, fucking deaf?
5x in 1 month

know that.

next question
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:48:38 PM

1.  Ledger:  Established company.  Hardware proven.  Track record of handling security issues well etc.

I think BOTH devices share a common risk.  And that is you want to make sure there is no way for your funds to be stolen with some sort of attack.  Either on the hardware, or in between the HW and the SW on the computer. 

The ledger may incur a second twist, and that is they will most likely be changing the seed word format from 25 to 24 words to match the rest of the wallets they support.  The only concern here is there is a reliable way to either convert these wallets to the 25 word form or somehow else see their seed word format supported by other software (inc. the standard cli and GUI).

A hardware wallet is not just security.  It is convenience with security.  Easily take a large amount with you traveling, and top up your Monerujo as required, without risking large amounts.  Drop it overboard?  Confiscated in customs?  Too bad, buy or retrieve another one, and restore from your seed.  or have several set up with the same seed/pass, cached at strategic locations where you travel frequently.  There are many options.  Decoy wallets installed to mitigate the $5 wrench attack, multiple wallets for different coins, all on the same device/seed (not the Monero only one obviously). 

Yeah.  I am a pretty big fan of the concept.  And while not arguable AS secure is a deep freeze paper wallet it is damn close.  And with the decoys etc in some ways even better.

That said, I do not think it would be impossible to add at least a couple other "big" coins to the Monero wallet, for example at least BTC?

I expect it would be trivial, as there are several precedents.  Perhaps less relevant as time goes on, however.  Can't remember the last BTC transaction I made without XMR.to  Wink  Although I am contemplating an automobile purchase (private sale) using BTC directly, it would be a rare occurrence.
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:55:26 PM

I expect it would be trivial, as there are several precedents.  Perhaps less relevant as time goes on, however.  Can't remember the last BTC transaction I made without XMR.to  Wink  Although I am contemplating an automobile purchase (private sale) using BTC directly, it would be a rare occurrence.

Appreciate the discussion. Now y'all have me convinced I need another Ledger  Grin
aamirsuh

Activity: 686
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:22:50 PM

A long-term investment can be made for XMR. My opinion is this way. I wish I could look at the market with this eye a year ago. I probably would have bought Monero.
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 01:57:53 AM

Glad I'm not in the UK, but I don't expect it to take them long to copy cat elsewhere.  Grab Grab Grab!

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/world-news/sovereign-debt-crisis/britains-new-law-unexplained-wealth-orders-targeting-the-rich/

Monero, FTW!
aerbax

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2018, 02:26:44 AM

XMR will have at least 3.5% of BTC's marketcap by February 24th at just after 2pm PST.

You can take that to the bank. (I mean it this time.)

Seasons greetings to one and all.

Still on target.

Still on target?

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4894

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 03:02:56 AM

Nice, then add a tracker! Smiley

With cryptosteel there is a risk to open the bolts somehow and to mix the letters.

But if you just buy an ordinary metal stamping tool kit
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/metal-stamping-kit

and hammer the seed to a steel or aluminum plate, there is no such risk. And you can make as many back ups as you want. With very low cost.

Loctite?

was waiting forever to get back some @ .0272
Another opportunity was there today  Wink

Of course it was and when I'm in a position to get m0ar it won't be. Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 03:13:54 AM

Still on target?

Nope. Fundamentals disappointed.

Bearish.
Pages: « 1 ... 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 [1848] 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: