Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:55:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 [235] 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Syscoin- FINAL 2.0 LAUNCHED! *ENCRYPTION, MARKETPLACE, BTC INTEGRATION*  (Read 582901 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
olcaytu2005
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 08:19:38 AM

I guess most of user didnt like the market. Everybody sell their syscoins.
borris123

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:27:34 AM

Some videos of it working be good.
jdh015232

Activity: 756

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 11:59:53 AM

gotta shake the noobs out
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 12:04:34 PM

Yeh I liked the market so more cheap coins for me then,

This can easily grow to be the new silkroad 3.0 :p

In my opinion, and you can also sell more stuff ofcourse.

Maybe you should add like a 18+ section to the coin.

Where you can maybe have like a illegal stuff section so the kids wont see the crazy stuff Cheesy
sussex

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:26:12 PM

Unenforceable and unworkable.

Having said that, even a useless attempt might head off some of the inevitable criticism..... I'm not sure comparing it to Silkroad is advantageous..... maybe selling it as an Ebay killer is better?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 04:13:00 PM

Where you can maybe have like a illegal stuff section so the kids wont see the crazy stuff Cheesy

In general unless your browsing entire blockchaim through a web portal someone stood up the kids wont see that stuff. The idea is that the merchan creates his store and stands up a gui that only shows his offers
RJF19

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:02:49 PM

In general unless your browsing entire blockchaim through a web portal someone stood up the kids wont see that stuff. The idea is that the merchan creates his store and stands up a gui that only shows his offers

Remember, it's money/currency. And money in, and of itself, cannot be blamed for what is purchased with it. If someone makes an illegal deal using USD, the US Government can't be held responsible. By the same token, if someone uses the phone system to facilitate an illegal transaction, the phone system/company cannot be held responsible because the transaction was arranged over their lines.

This should be very interesting to watch as it unfolds....

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
striker7334 2.0

Activity: 560
Merit: 300

Unprofessional shitcoin trader since 2011

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:35:19 PM

Remember, it's money/currency. And money in, and of itself, cannot be blamed for what is purchased with it. If someone makes an illegal deal using USD, the US Government can't be held responsible. By the same token, if someone uses the phone system to facilitate an illegal transaction, the phone system/company cannot be held responsible because the transaction was arranged over their lines.

Yeah it is not a good idea honestly I was joking earlier with the drop-ship listing comment. If drug listing started appearing and the marketplace took off the The Governments of the World cannot shut it down but they could shut down the developers; they're not anons and some live in the US. If anyone here thinks that because its decentralized that will protect the devs they are naive imo; By putting the screws to the devs(harassment, lawsuits, BS trump charges, etc.) they would probably succeed in freezing legitimate development on Syscoin(who can blame them, they have lives and families) and I seriously doubt anyone from the community would step up and fill the shoes of the devs so it essentially would kill Syscoin development for legitimate purposes. You can forget about partnerships with legitimate companies to if you have any kind of illegal listing on the marketplace. As a businessman I would see it as too risky a PR disaster waiting to happen. Just my two cents on why it shouldn't happen not trying to be a downer or anything but that's just the outcome I see happening if syscoin goes down that road. After the Silk Road trial I wouldn't expect them to hold anything back and actually play by the rules of the law.

RJF19

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 06:28:19 PM

Yeah it is not a good idea honestly I was joking earlier with the drop-ship listing comment. If drug listing started appearing and the marketplace took off the The Governments of the World cannot shut it down but they could shut down the developers; they're not anons and some live in the US. If anyone here thinks that because its decentralized that will protect the devs they are naive imo; By putting the screws to the devs(harassment, lawsuits, BS trump charges, etc.) they would probably succeed in freezing legitimate development on Syscoin(who can blame them, they have lives and families) and I seriously doubt anyone from the community would step up and fill the shoes of the devs so it essentially would kill Syscoin development for legitimate purposes. You can forget about partnerships with legitimate companies to if you have any kind of illegal listing on the marketplace. As a businessman I would see it as too risky a PR disaster waiting to happen. Just my two cents on why it shouldn't happen not trying to be a downer or anything but that's just the outcome I see happening if syscoin goes down that road. After the Silk Road trial I wouldn't expect them to hold anything back and actually play by the rules of the law.

Good point, always the human factor to consider. Lets hope it never comes to that, and, it really doesn't have to, there are enough ligit items to sell and trade without the questionable ones coming into play...

RJF

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
danosphere (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001

Syscoin- Changing the way people do business.

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 09:38:15 PM

I agree this will be very interesting to watch as it unfolds and I would question the legitimacy of any case attempted to be brought against the dev team. What would be pursued for? We aren't listing the items. I think they would have a very difficult time crafting a case that really put the developers in the line of fire, although they could try. To the earlier point it would be like trying to sue all gun manufacturers for shooting deaths each year... not the fault of the manufacturer and there is arguably a much stronger foundation for a case there vs an open source project having listings created by its consumers that the govt doesn't like and because it decentralized and they can't stop it they come after... the devs? But for what? I don't know of any case law that would give them a position to attack us from, but I'm also not a lawyer  Wink You can bet that prior to official release we'll be retaining a lawyer to ensure Syscoin's EULA is solid and releases us from all liability.

To the point of mixed materials in the marketplace, some which may be objectionable to certain other merchants or certain locales. As sidhujag mentioned you're only going to see everything on the chain when your in the wallet, searching- and you're still only going to see public items. If the "nefarious" items are private listings, you'll never see them in the wallet (listings start as private by default). Additionally, if you're interfacing with the marketplace through a web or mobile view (the most common use case in the end imo) you will only see the items the merchant / market operator wants you to see. For those merchants that have a problem with "everything on the chain" possibly containing stuff they oppose they'll have to make the choice as to whether those items which are invisible to their customers are worth losing the benefits that Syscoin brings - namely increased exposure, lower costs, no central authority, higher redundancy, and zero downtime.

If they feel the value tradeoff isn't there they will keep paying eBay (or whoever) and hoping it stays up and hoping they can market their items effectively enough to garner sales and hoping their listings are allowed there and they don't get banned. I agree that while there's really no telling what will happen when this is unleashed (its like Twitter before there was twitter  Wink ) the key to succeeding for us is going after that eBay/Etsy/Craiglist/p2p replacement and then scaling into eCommerce on the back of that because we're cheaper, and more reliable. While the dark market thing has a niche, its not the pathway to LARGE scale growth and adoption we're looking to see w this project.

Syscoin: Business on the Blockchain. - Buy and sell goods and services, send encrypted messages and more all secured by the blockchain.
Syscoin Website | Syscoin Whitepaper | Syscoin Team Price Peg
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 12:20:40 AM

I am not going to quote everything above otherwise it will make it to long:D

But nice discussion and i've read some interesting points.

Like the dev says I don't think there is actually something to arrest him for.

And wow I didn't even you could sell a item anonymously, because I imagine the people that are selling illegal stuff.
Probably don't want everyone to see, so if they are smart the will just put it on private and give the link to trusted people.
Really nice what I don't understand why the price is still so cheap Cheesy
danosphere (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 01:08:15 AM

snip... if they are smart the will just put it on private and give the link to trusted people. ...snip

Exactly- this was the thinking behind that feature. You can have a number of private listings and then just host a Blockmarket (the market-in-a-box web experience we've created for Syscoin's marketplace on the web) and expose all your private items to your customers without them being seen in the wallet search and without having to give them links to each item- they would just get a link to wherever you host your Blockmarket and then can see all your listings (public and private).

Alternatively you could skip the Blockmarket web front end entirely as @nickenburg mentions and just give them the GUID (direct link) for the offer, both routes insulate the item from public view.

Syscoin: Business on the Blockchain. - Buy and sell goods and services, send encrypted messages and more all secured by the blockchain.
FredDag

Activity: 436

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 01:23:54 AM

tell me why ppl need a wallet and install it i meant download the chain,to much process .....  it wont work for normal ppl.  Sad Sad Sad
less hope for adoption, see where it goes  Huh Huh

That reminds me of this quote... I bt that fella feels pretty stupid now...
"There is no reason anyone in the right state of mind will want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 04:29:12 AM

Good point, always the human factor to consider. Lets hope it never comes to that, and, it really doesn't have to, there are enough ligit items to sell and trade without the questionable ones coming into play...

RJF

And that is exactly why I didnt put in anon transactions.. for one it slows things down and secondly cause of this. Private offers is very inexpensive (dev cost and network cost) and provides good functionality in general for all the use cases you guys pointed out above.

Its just like bitcoin, if it takes off there will be tons ofdevs willing to carry the torch for the sake of humanity.
*Sakura*
Legendary

Activity: 1624

I wish you all love and profitable investments!!!

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 04:35:04 AM

Hey, Dano! Where should I place the bootstrap.dat file? I am trying AppData\Roaming\Syscoin\blocks\      and    AppData\Roaming\Syscoin\  folders but it's not works.
striker7334 2.0

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 05:54:18 AM

I agree this will be very interesting to watch as it unfolds and I would question the legitimacy of any case attempted to be brought against the dev team. What would be pursued for? We aren't listing the items. I think they would have a very difficult time crafting a case that really put the developers in the line of fire, although they could try. To the earlier point it would be like trying to sue all gun manufacturers for shooting deaths each year... not the fault of the manufacturer and there is arguably a much stronger foundation for a case there vs an open source project having listings created by its consumers that the govt doesn't like and because it decentralized and they can't stop it they come after... the devs? But for what? I don't know of any case law that would give them a position to attack us from, but I'm also not a lawyer  Wink You can bet that prior to official release we'll be retaining a lawyer to ensure Syscoin's EULA is solid and releases us from all liability.

To the point of mixed materials in the marketplace, some which may be objectionable to certain other merchants or certain locales. As sidhujag mentioned you're only going to see everything on the chain when your in the wallet, searching- and you're still only going to see public items. If the "nefarious" items are private listings, you'll never see them in the wallet (listings start as private by default). Additionally, if you're interfacing with the marketplace through a web or mobile view (the most common use case in the end imo) you will only see the items the merchant / market operator wants you to see. For those merchants that have a problem with "everything on the chain" possibly containing stuff they oppose they'll have to make the choice as to whether those items which are invisible to their customers are worth losing the benefits that Syscoin brings - namely increased exposure, lower costs, no central authority, higher redundancy, and zero downtime.

If they feel the value tradeoff isn't there they will keep paying eBay (or whoever) and hoping it stays up and hoping they can market their items effectively enough to garner sales and hoping their listings are allowed there and they don't get banned. I agree that while there's really no telling what will happen when this is unleashed (its like Twitter before there was twitter  Wink ) the key to succeeding for us is going after that eBay/Etsy/Craiglist/p2p replacement and then scaling into eCommerce on the back of that because we're cheaper, and more reliable. While the dark market thing has a niche, its not the pathway to LARGE scale growth and adoption we're looking to see w this project.

I do see your point and you may be right nothing may ever come of it but I am glad you guys are taking steps to ensure the project succeeds and they will be no liability. I do love the vision the team has and by no means do I actually want the things I said happening its just fruit for thought. Keep up the good work!

danosphere (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 06:37:31 AM

Hey, Dano! Where should I place the bootstrap.dat file? I am trying AppData\Roaming\Syscoin\blocks\      and    AppData\Roaming\Syscoin\  folders but it's not works.

You're using the bootstrap on mainnet right? I haven't actually tested the bootstrap myself but I can give it a go tomm (sorry gotta crash tonight) I would recommend trying the -loadblock command (based on http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/16769/how-to-use-the-bootstrap-dat-file-with-bitcoin-qt) if putting the bootstrap file in those folders didn't work. Should've worked though, I'll give it a go myself using the above mentioned methods too and report back w more info.

quote trimmed for length!

I agree this will be very interesting to watch as it unfolds and I would question the legitimacy of any case attempted to be brought against the dev team. What would be pursued for? We aren't listing the items. I think they would have a very difficult time crafting a case that really put the developers in the line of fire, although they could try. To the earlier point it would be like trying to sue all gun manufacturers for shooting deaths each year... not the fault of the manufacturer and there is arguably a much stronger foundation for a case there vs an open source project having listings created by its consumers that the govt doesn't like and because it decentralized and they can't stop it they come after... the devs? But for what? I don't know of any case law that would give them a position to attack us from, but I'm also not a lawyer  Wink You can bet that prior to official release we'll be retaining a lawyer to ensure Syscoin's EULA is solid and releases us from all liability.

If they feel the value tradeoff isn't there they will keep paying eBay (or whoever) and hoping it stays up and hoping they can market their items effectively enough to garner sales and hoping their listings are allowed there and they don't get banned. I agree that while there's really no telling what will happen when this is unleashed (its like Twitter before there was twitter  Wink ) the key to succeeding for us is going after that eBay/Etsy/Craiglist/p2p replacement and then scaling into eCommerce on the back of that because we're cheaper, and more reliable. While the dark market thing has a niche, its not the pathway to LARGE scale growth and adoption we're looking to see w this project.

I do see your point and you may be right nothing may ever come of it but I am glad you guys are taking steps to ensure the project succeeds and they will be no liability. I do love the vision the team has and by no means do I actually want the things I said happening its just fruit for thought. Keep up the good work!

Thanks and yeah I hope with what I've said and what @sidhujag's said that the community sees this is something the team has given considerable thought. We wanted to balance the ability for people to sell what they wanted with several other factors including network performance and not being "purpose built" for that use case by including anon in the wallet.

You make good points though and they're definitely something we're considering and working to insulate ourselves against to ensure the long term health of this project. Hell- if we got to a scale where governments were coming after us because of how this all is being used I'm sure our market cap would be pretty stellar... whether we agree with its roots or not.

In other news we've stood up two more nodes for the testnet as people were reporting some connection issues- these are in Germany and Canada so hopefully faster for people outside the states too.

Code:
addnode=107.170.185.5
addnode=159.203.31.20
addnode=46.101.244.183

testnet=1
debug=1

or

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rma7jidlc74w242/syscoin.conf?dl=0

Also made some minor updates to the merchant portal and main website for continuity regarding the Beta launch news.

RJF19

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 01:56:45 PM

tell me why ppl need a wallet and install it i meant download the chain,to much process .....  it wont work for normal ppl.  Sad Sad Sad

"There is no reason anyone in the right state of mind will want a computer in their home."

Sorry to say, he's passed on but, he did survive long enough to see how wrong his prediction was:

Kenneth Harry "Ken" Olsen was an American engineer who co-founded Digital Equipment Corporation in 1957 with colleague Harlan Anderson.

Born: February 20, 1926, Bridgeport, CT

Died: February 6, 2011, Indianapolis, IN

RJF19

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 04:00:10 PM

Sorry to say, he's passed on but, he did survive long enough to see how wrong his prediction was:

Kenneth Harry "Ken" Olsen was an American engineer who co-founded Digital Equipment Corporation in 1957 with colleague Harlan Anderson.

Just to add a little humor here, check out this famously wrong quote below:

“The truth is no online database will replace your daily newspaper, no CD-ROM can take the place of a competent teacher and no computer network will change the way government works.”

– Clifford Stoll, 1995

In a 1995 Newsweek column entitled “The Internet? Bah,” astronomer, author, hacker and computer geek Clifford Stoll bravely dissed the newfangled gizmo formerly known as the WWW. He claimed it overflowed with a “cacophony” of voices and opinions – some intelligent and worthy of our attention, but many not. He spoke of a “wasteland of unfiltered data” and problematic information searches. He asked facetiously, “Who needs teachers when you’ve got computer-aided education?” And he lamented there was no trustworthy way to send virtual money.

striker7334 2.0

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 05:28:41 PM

Just to add a little humor here, check out this famously wrong quote below:

“The truth is no online database will replace your daily newspaper, no CD-ROM can take the place of a competent teacher and no computer network will change the way government works.”

– Clifford Stoll, 1995

In a 1995 Newsweek column entitled “The Internet? Bah,” astronomer, author, hacker and computer geek Clifford Stoll bravely dissed the newfangled gizmo formerly known as the WWW. He claimed it overflowed with a “cacophony” of voices and opinions – some intelligent and worthy of our attention, but many not. He spoke of a “wasteland of unfiltered data” and problematic information searches. He asked facetiously, “Who needs teachers when you’ve got computer-aided education?” And he lamented there was no trustworthy way to send virtual money.

Ugh I hate it when smart people lack vision....

Pages: « 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 [235] 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 »
  Print  

Jump to: