Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:32:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Secure bitcoin wallet ?  (Read 36248 times)
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 09:20:48 PM

Coinbase has a good think that even if someone bypass the password you can activate the 2FA for transaction over x.xx BTC.
This makes even more secure your bitcoins in your "wallet", we should try to get most of the security features.
Even though we don't control completely the funds, because coinbase does not provide private key.

That is part of their security though not giving out the key.   I suspect to get their digital assets insured it had to be locked down pretty tight.   

For a advanced user it would be nice to have the private key.  But honestly for a new user they are doing them a favor not handing out the key.   So I think there is good to it.  But i admit I don't completely like the idea of not being able to use a private key and import your own btc into a wallet off their site.

They have something that is called vault but it's something that is confusing.
Even though they give you some keys, but i haven't seen that hey give you the private key.
They say that this vault wallet is more secured but i think it is the same.

Do not trust online services with your money. Even if they say that the,  have vaults, that they give you private keys or whatever, they can be hacked after all and your money will be gone. Secure your coins by yourself.

There are many great wallets that are easily secured. Also use paper wallets and if you have money and enough coins, than you should buy a hardware wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
prodigy8

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 09:37:25 PM

Take your own research and be careful when trying (testing) new wallets.
You can take a look at bitcoin.org and see that there are many options.
Some of them offer less security and some other provide you private key(like Mycelium, multibit, bitcoin code etc..)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 09:54:51 PM

Coinbase has a good think that even if someone bypass the password you can activate the 2FA for transaction over x.xx BTC.
This makes even more secure your bitcoins in your "wallet", we should try to get most of the security features.
Even though we don't control completely the funds, because coinbase does not provide private key.

That is part of their security though not giving out the key.   I suspect to get their digital assets insured it had to be locked down pretty tight.   

For a advanced user it would be nice to have the private key.  But honestly for a new user they are doing them a favor not handing out the key.   So I think there is good to it.  But i admit I don't completely like the idea of not being able to use a private key and import your own btc into a wallet off their site.

Even though they give you some keys, but i haven't seen that hey give you the private key.

Do not trust online services with your money. Even if they say that the,  have vaults, that they give you private keys or whatever, they can be hacked after all and your money will be gone. Secure your coins by yourself.

There are many great wallets that are easily secured. Also use paper wallets and if you have money and enough coins, than you should buy a hardware wallet.

I would agree in most cases.  But for non-technical user coinbase with 2 factor is pretty good.  Coinbase is different then many as they have that insurance.  Read on their site to see what it covers.

But if you are a technical user who can properly keep private key yes it is better, as you have complete control.  Assuming that you store it safely and properly.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 10:56:56 PM

That is part of their security though not giving out the key.   I suspect to get their digital assets insured it had to be locked down pretty tight.  

For a advanced user it would be nice to have the private key.  But honestly for a new user they are doing them a favor not handing out the key.   So I think there is good to it.  But i admit I don't completely like the idea of not being able to use a private key and import your own btc into a wallet off their site.

Do not trust online services with your money. Even if they say that the,  have vaults, that they give you private keys or whatever, they can be hacked after all and your money will be gone. Secure your coins by yourself.

I would agree in most cases.  But for non-technical user coinbase with 2 factor is pretty good.  Coinbase is different then many as they have that insurance.  Read on their site to see what it covers.

But if you are a technical user who can properly keep private key yes it is better, as you have complete control.  Assuming that you store it safely and properly.

I have to mostly agree with that point of view, but if you want to store serious about of BTC and you're "non-technical" you should hire someone technical to do it. If the amount is within acceptable losses for you, then sure. Coinbase as a convenient vault storage sound better than other online wallets.

I don't think they can beat a 100% offline computer. One that has never touched the internet ever and has a secure backup copy somewhere within an encrypted usb key and or printed encrypted paper in a bank safety box. But then other than that, Coinbase sound good enough for most users.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 12:40:36 AM

snip
I would agree in most cases.  But for non-technical user coinbase with 2 factor is pretty good.  Coinbase is different then many as they have that insurance.  Read on their site to see what it covers.

But if you are a technical user who can properly keep private key yes it is better, as you have complete control.  Assuming that you store it safely and properly.

I have to mostly agree with that point of view, but if you want to store serious about of BTC and you're "non-technical" you should hire someone technical to do it. If the amount is within acceptable losses for you, then sure. Coinbase as a convenient vault storage sound better than other online wallets.

I don't think they can beat a 100% offline computer. One that has never touched the internet ever and has a secure backup copy somewhere within an encrypted usb key and or printed encrypted paper in a bank safety box. But then other than that, Coinbase sound good enough for most users.

The idea of hiring someone to setup your BTC holdings is horrible.  I don't care how much trust you have for a "non-technical" user do not hire someone to set up your private key and cold storage.   You want it to be you eyes only or it defeats the whole reason of being cold.

I'm not saying it's perfect for all users mainly technical and safe ones.  But for someone who does not know how to use bitcoin properly coinbase forces you to not have a private key.... which is good if a user does not know what they are doing.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 07:26:22 AM

Cold storage is the best way to secure Bitcoins. A paper wallet is offline and not prone to malware/viruses. Hot wallets like blockchain.info are easily crack-able and the Bitcoins can get stolen. Cold storage is offline, and no node can access the funds.

you must think again where you safe your bitcoin paperwallet Smiley
if some one found it, and scan the "QR code" you lost your money to Wink

Store bitcoin in paperwallet is like print your bitcoin into paper, like fiat. So you need to hide your paperwallet in place which only you know, maybe keep in deposit box like in bank but it for yourself only.

Take your own research and be careful when trying (testing) new wallets.
You can take a look at bitcoin.org and see that there are many options.
Some of them offer less security and some other provide you private key(like Mycelium, multibit, bitcoin code etc..)

The thing is need to choose a secure wallet is find a cold wallet, at bitcoin.org you can click on wallet icon and see their security features.
stepwilli

Activity: 1042
Merit: 273

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 07:47:57 AM

Bitcoin qt or bitcoin core is the most secured wallet as per bitcoin.org. They say only this wallet is deterministically created whereas other wallets are not even their from open source code.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:32:06 AM

snip

The idea of hiring someone to setup your BTC holdings is horrible.  I don't care how much trust you have for a "non-technical" user do not hire someone to set up your private key and cold storage.   You want it to be you eyes only or it defeats the whole reason of being cold.

I'm not saying it's perfect for all users mainly technical and safe ones.  But for someone who does not know how to use bitcoin properly coinbase forces you to not have a private key.... which is good if a user does not know what they are doing.

I don't think having someone guide you and teach you into the process is inherently bad. You should probably go through the motion of learning how to use a hardware wallet or setup a offline computer one way or another. I do guess the way i worded it might of made it sound like "oh just have someone else store and keep your BTC for you, just trust that person, no problem". Which i'd have to agree is subpar.

But if you have serious BTC and you're not sure how to go about it, i don't think there's another way to go about securing your funds. I'm pretty sure people/companies with a lot of money won't shy away at hiring a security consultant for their vault setup.

I guess someone that's really clueless could get exploited by a crook but i think if you're that unknowledgeable about Crypto, general computer stuff and logic, you should stay away from storing BTC or dealing with BTC in the first place in most cases.

The hard part might be for these people to self-evaluate to that fact.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
stellgod

Activity: 659
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:47:32 AM

Bitcoin qt or bitcoin core is the most secured wallet as per bitcoin.org. They say only this wallet is deterministically created whereas other wallets are not even their from open source code.

Not only bitcoin core. Multibit HD, Electrum or coinbase or blockchain.info are the other wallets users trust and using. So, lot of options to choose our wallets. But do not forget to encrypt your wallet with a strong password.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:52:57 AM

Not only bitcoin core. Multibit HD, Electrum or coinbase or blockchain.info are the other wallets users trust and using. So, lot of options to choose our wallets. But do not forget to encrypt your wallet with a strong password.

I'd stay away from blockchain.info right now. The recent attacks really show how shoddy their stuff is and people actually have had quite a bit of issues with their API for a fair bit of time now.

And in term of security feature, i think the best would be Armory, since that lets you more easily sign transaction with your offline cold storage computer that never has and never will touch the internet.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
zzaza
Legendary

Activity: 926

Zoltan - PD Moderator

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:34:46 AM

I'd stay away from blockchain.info right now. The recent attacks really show how shoddy their stuff is and people actually have had quite a bit of issues with their API for a fair bit of time now.

And in term of security feature, i think the best would be Armory, since that lets you more easily sign transaction with your offline cold storage computer that never has and never will touch the internet.

Hmm, the wallets i have are all there, and of course i have an account at PD as a wallet Tongue I guess im gonan stick to that one Cheesy

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 11:13:58 AM

snip

The idea of hiring someone to setup your BTC holdings is horrible.  I don't care how much trust you have for a "non-technical" user do not hire someone to set up your private key and cold storage.   You want it to be you eyes only or it defeats the whole reason of being cold.

I'm not saying it's perfect for all users mainly technical and safe ones.  But for someone who does not know how to use bitcoin properly coinbase forces you to not have a private key.... which is good if a user does not know what they are doing.

I don't know, I just wouldn't trust an online wallet with more than 1 BTC. Any online wallet out there. And if you have to trust online wallets, I would choose 3 different ones and put 0.33 BTCs in each one of them, just to spread the risk.

About someone securing your coins, yes this is terrible if it's not a person that you absolutely trust. Your brother, mother, father. If you don't know how to secure your bitcoins by yourself, you shouldn't own any.
Also, to secure your coins is not that hard in my opinion. Setting up a wallet for Ethereum in the command line window, that was hard. Backing up the seed of your Electrum wallet by following simple instructions is not hard at all.
fiomcorka

Activity: 496
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 11:56:09 AM

Multibit HD is the next generation wallet with hardware wallet option. I vote for Multibit HD for the secured wallet.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 12:01:48 PM

snip

I don't know, I just wouldn't trust an online wallet with more than 1 BTC. Any online wallet out there. And if you have to trust online wallets, I would choose 3 different ones and put 0.33 BTCs in each one of them, just to spread the risk.

About someone securing your coins, yes this is terrible if it's not a person that you absolutely trust. Your brother, mother, father. If you don't know how to secure your bitcoins by yourself, you shouldn't own any.
Also, to secure your coins is not that hard in my opinion. Setting up a wallet for Ethereum in the command line window, that was hard. Backing up the seed of your Electrum wallet by following simple instructions is not hard at all.

Thats what i'm saying. I'm not saying someone should hold your coins for you, i'm saying you should have someone teach you to do it. Show you how to set it up. Its not that complicated. There should be no risk with having someone show you how to set it up unless you're completely clueless and somehow manage to hand over your BTC. Setting up an offline wallet isint that hard.

And for Coinbase, i think its the least worse Online wallet. I wouldn't store significant amount of money there. A few BTC at most, in the vault, supposedly insured should do, however.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
melismer

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 10:30:46 AM

Multibit HD is the next generation wallet with hardware wallet option. I vote for Multibit HD for the secured wallet.

But I believe that bitcoin core would be the most secure wallet. I have not used Multibit or it's HD versions.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:27:50 PM

But I believe that bitcoin core would be the most secure wallet. I have not used Multibit or it's HD versions.

Hmm secure is kind of ephemeral here. It seem to mean different things to different persons.

All the wallets that have been checked are all as secure as any other if properly used. In term of the most security features, the wallet that would win this tag would be Armory, since it make the deal of signing transaction with a offline computer much easier.

And the way Armory work is very similar to how hardware wallet works.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
quadriple7

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:10:01 PM

i think it is paper or hardware wallet
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 09:08:23 PM

The idea of hiring someone to setup your BTC holdings is horrible.  I don't care how much trust you have for a "non-technical" user do not hire someone to set up your private key and cold storage.   You want it to be you eyes only or it defeats the whole reason of being cold.

I'm not saying it's perfect for all users mainly technical and safe ones.  But for someone who does not know how to use bitcoin properly coinbase forces you to not have a private key.... which is good if a user does not know what they are doing.

Thats what i'm saying. I'm not saying someone should hold your coins for you, i'm saying you should have someone teach you to do it. Show you how to set it up. Its not that complicated. There should be no risk with having someone show you how to set it up unless you're completely clueless and somehow manage to hand over your BTC. Setting up an offline wallet isint that hard.

And for Coinbase, i think its the least worse Online wallet. I wouldn't store significant amount of money there. A few BTC at most, in the vault, supposedly insured should do, however.

That would make more sense on teaching how to do it.     With "have to mostly agree with that point of view, but if you want to store serious about of BTC and you're "non-technical" you should hire someone technical to do it."  just sounded like pay for someone to do it not teach, so I could have read it wrong I guess.

But make sure the person teaching you is honest and you trust them.  Also DO NOT let them plug anything even just a thumb drive into your computer.   And watch them the whole time on computer.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 10:02:18 PM

That would make more sense on teaching how to do it.     With "have to mostly agree with that point of view, but if you want to store serious about of BTC and you're "non-technical" you should hire someone technical to do it."  just sounded like pay for someone to do it not teach, so I could have read it wrong I guess.

But make sure the person teaching you is honest and you trust them.  Also DO NOT let them plug anything even just a thumb drive into your computer.   And watch them the whole time on computer.

I guess that if a person actually came to your home and set up the software could be somehow installing everything with a privkey he already own, i guess this is some kind of thing you should keep in mind in the BTC world.

I guess we should say hire someone to hold your hand through the process of learning and setting it up, maybe online. You're not really physically storing wealth in a container, so there's no physical setup of a vault to do.

Its not like there's much that need to be done physically anyways. You just install the software on a offline computer, then learn how to sign transactions on the offline computer. If a very small step up from normal bitcoin usage.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 11:20:34 PM

snip

I guess that if a person actually came to your home and set up the software could be somehow installing everything with a privkey he already own, i guess this is some kind of thing you should keep in mind in the BTC world.

I guess we should say hire someone to hold your hand through the process of learning and setting it up, maybe online. You're not really physically storing wealth in a container, so there's no physical setup of a vault to do.

Its not like there's much that need to be done physically anyways. You just install the software on a offline computer, then learn how to sign transactions on the offline computer. If a very small step up from normal bitcoin usage.

The problem is a person loading software from a USB and you do not know about it.   Look up about bad usb.  You should never on any of your computers let someone plug a USB drive of theirs in.

If you pay someone and he uses a bad usb exploit it might look like hes nice and helping.  But it could be capturing keys from everything after bad usb exploit was used.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: