Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:52:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoincard.org  (Read 29248 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 10:18:02 PM

@MoonShadow how about using orbot to start from somewhere ?

You made some very good points there but with enough time solutions will come to fill the gaps.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 10:38:41 PM

You made some very good points there but with enough time solutions will come to fill the gaps.

Sure, you could use a bitcoin client that exclusively uses Tor to hide your transactions, but you still can't be certain that the phone company doesn't already know what your addresses are.  Android clients are going to continue to be a huge part of the bitcoin economy, this is true.  However, so will stand-alone hardware devices like this one.  We seem to have a bunch of naysayers on this forum with little real knowledge about digital telemetry repeatedly declaring either 'un-possible!' or 'no one would want one'.  I want one.  Hell, I want six for my family, and I'd start to give them to family members for presents instead of gift cards.  Can you see a future wherein a teenage daughter says, "Dad, can I borrow your keys and your smartphone? I'm going to the mal- *cough* library." or "Dad, can I borrow your car keys and a few bitcoin for my card?..."

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 11:12:37 PM

Sure, you could use a bitcoin client that exclusively uses Tor to hide your transactions, but you still can't be certain that the phone company doesn't already know what your addresses are.  Android clients are going to continue to be a huge part of the bitcoin economy, this is true.  However, so will stand-alone hardware devices like this one.  We seem to have a bunch of naysayers on this forum with little real knowledge about digital telemetry repeatedly declaring either 'un-possible!' or 'no one would want one'.  I want one.  Hell, I want six for my family, and I'd start to give them to family members for presents instead of gift cards.  Can you see a future wherein a teenage daughter says, "Dad, can I borrow your keys and your smartphone? I'm going to the mal- *cough* library." or "Dad, can I borrow your car keys and a few bitcoin for my card?..."

Then you'll love BitDex.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 11:58:10 PM

Then you'll love BitDex.

And what is BitDex?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 12:01:20 AM

4 to 6 weeks?

Seriously, this looks pretty awesome.

I think having my finances off my smart phone would be an improvement. I don't want to kill my battery listening to music or playing games and then no longer be able to spend money or open a security gate. It's already a pain when I have to decide between having fun on my phone and saving battery for calls later in the day.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 12:02:51 AM

4 to 6 weeks?

I think having my finances off my smart phone would be an improvement. I don't want to kill my battery listening to music or playing games and then no longer be able to spend money or open a security gate. It's already a pain when I have to decide between having fun on my phone and saving battery for calls later in the day.

who said 4 to 6 weeks?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 12:03:46 AM

And what is BitDex?

Also Matthew, what's the BitDex? The first thing that came to my mind when I read that was PokeDex...

Hehe. Exactly. Think Pokedex, but for Bitcoin (and a lot smaller, sleeker, and it doesn't talk to you everytime something happens).

BitDex is just a codename. We aren't releasing the real name until the product is ready for production for obvious reasons.

We were working on "Bitcoincard" long before Bitcoincard was working on Bitcoincard for Bitcoin. We're almost ready to present but I have to say, I don't see Bitcoincard as being much of a competitor. Ad-hoc is interesting and all, but it's not practical for the kind of features you'd need in a bitcoin wallet device. We're going full retard with Bitdex though.

(Unfortunately, it will need to be charged unlike the black magic bitcoincard, but perhaps when such a technology actually exists to charge the device constantly, we'll release an upgrade)

Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 12:04:08 AM

4 to 6 weeks?

who said 4 to 6 weeks?
It was a joke...

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 12:09:24 AM

4 to 6 weeks?

who said 4 to 6 weeks?
It was a joke...
you got me all excited their .... not funny  Wink

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 12:11:22 AM

And what is BitDex?

Also Matthew, what's the BitDex? The first thing that came to my mind when I read that was PokeDex...

Hehe. Exactly. Think Pokedex, but for Bitcoin (and a lot smaller, sleeker, and it doesn't talk to you everytime something happens).

BitDex is just a codename. We aren't releasing the real name until the product is ready for production for obvious reasons.

We were working on "Bitcoincard" long before Bitcoincard was working on Bitcoincard for Bitcoin. We're almost ready to present but I have to say, I don't see Bitcoincard as being much of a competitor. Ad-hoc is interesting and all, but it's not practical for the kind of features you'd need in a bitcoin wallet device. We're going full retard with Bitdex though.

(Unfortunately, it will need to be charged unlike the black magic bitcoincard, but perhaps when such a technology actually exists to charge the device constantly, we'll release an upgrade)

can you give us more info

what makes Bitdex different / better?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 12:13:39 AM

Nope. You can read the press release when we're ready. It was supposed to be released 3 months ago, so that means any day now.  Wink

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 12:21:37 AM

And what is BitDex?

This so explains your hostility to features claimed in bitcoincard, you're biased because you're invested into a competitor.  I'm glad to hear that there are more than one option on the way, but I will wait until there is something to see.  Will your product be able to transact without cell service & send free text messages as well?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 01:19:20 AM

This so explains your hostility to features claimed in bitcoincard, you're biased because you're invested into a competitor.
My hostility is towards vaporware and unsubstantiated claims. No demos, no word on functionality, just a video, some hype-ful tweets, etc. If this actually works, I'll be the first to celebrate and congratulate the developers. Seriously. The problem is that I don't believe ad-hoc is a solution for Bitcoin transactions, and they have no working prototype to show (the one at the conference wasn't a working demo).

Will your product be able to transact without cell service
Yes, although we're working with cell companies to have the option available for whomever wants it.

send free text messages as well?
No. I don't personally see any value of a financial tool being a chatting device. If we wanted that, we'd just stick with using a mobile phone.

Can't wait till I can cut the red ribbon on this one.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 01:45:35 AM

This so explains your hostility to features claimed in bitcoincard, you're biased because you're invested into a competitor.
My hostility is towards vaporware and unsubstantiated claims. No demos, no word on functionality, just a video, some hype-ful tweets, etc.

I looked up bitdex, and there wasn't even that much there from my perspective.  I'm sure that you know whether or not a product exists with bitdex, but I don't.  You don't even have a video or the attempt at a faq, just a cartoon of a book.

If this actually works, I'll be the first to celebrate and congratulate the developers. Seriously. The problem is that I don't believe ad-hoc is a solution for Bitcoin transactions, and they have no working prototype to show (the one at the conference wasn't a working demo).

Ad-hoc meshing may or may not be a solution, but that also depends on what your persectives on what the problem is.  Wireless mesh networking has it's place, but I won't claim that it's easy or likely, but a meshable hardware wallet would be a useful feature for some.  Furthermore, you don't have a working demo either; at least not one you are willing to show us.

Will your product be able to transact without cell service
Yes, although we're working with cell companies to have the option available for whomever wants it.

How then, if not some kind of p2p ad-hoc connection?  If it involves a cable, you've already lost.
send free text messages as well?
No. I don't personally see any value of a financial tool being a chatting device. If we wanted that, we'd just stick with using a mobile phone.

Fair enough, texting is an unnecessary function.  Still, they would work great for sending the device a cryptographicly signed purchase receipt, something that I would find useful.  You could buy something at wal-mart with bitcoin anonymously, but walk out of the store with a return receipt that's far better than the paper receipts available now.  Of course, if you are using a wal-mart branded bitcoincard, they know who you are anyway.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 01:52:21 AM

I looked up bitdex, and there wasn't even that much there from my perspective.  I'm sure that you know whether or not a product exists with bitdex, but I don't.  You don't even have a video or the attempt at a faq, just a cartoon of a book.
BitDex is the codename. I highly doubt you would find anything online about it, since I've only mentioned it maybe 7 times briefly on the forums since 2011. The discussions related to the BitDex have mostly been done inside the DCAO away from prying eyes. I'm quite curious as to what cartoon you found lol

Ad-hoc meshing may or may not be a solution, but that also depends on what your persectives on what the problem is.  Wireless mesh networking has it's place, but I won't claim that it's easy or likely, but a meshable hardware wallet would be a useful feature for some.  Furthermore, you don't have a working demo either; at least not one you are willing to show us.
And that's the meat of the argument right there. I'm not making videos promoting something I'm not ready to show a working unit of.  Wink

How then, if not some kind of p2p ad-hoc connection?  If it involves a cable, you've already lost.
That will all be outlined in the press release.)

Fair enough, texting is an unnecessary function.  Still, they would work great for sending the device a cryptographicly signed purchase receipt, something that I would find useful.  You could buy something at wal-mart with bitcoin anonymously, but walk out of the store with a return receipt that's far better than the paper receipts available now.  Of course, if you are using a wal-mart branded bitcoincard, they know who you are anyway.
I will say that as a kid I did love those bluetooth, radio and IR connected chatting devices. Something like "My Diary" or somewhatnot. Rad stuff that was.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 01:56:25 AM

BitDex is the codename. I highly doubt you would find anything online about it, since I've only mentioned it maybe 7 times briefly on the forums since 2011. The discussions related to the BitDex have mostly been done inside the DCAO away from prying eyes. I'm quite curious as to what cartoon you found lol

http://bitdex.net/

I will say that as a kid I did love those bluetooth, radio and IR connected chatting devices. Something like "My Diary" or somewhatnot. Rad stuff that was.

you do realise those where toys right?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 02:06:10 AM

I have no idea what that site is, but it's not ours. Also, as I said before "Bitdex" is just the codename we use to refer to it. It has a legal registered name for the patents, business, etc. but we've agreed not to use it publicly until the press release.

you do realise those where toys right?

o rly

farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 04:11:48 AM

Nope. You can read the press release when we're ready. It was supposed to be released 3 months ago, so that means any day now.  Wink

So we get one with each Magazine  ?

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 07:16:43 PM

The battery life of mobile phones if a good point. It will depend on the reliability of the card and the price. Time will tell.
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 08:23:58 PM

this bitcoincard sure looks cute.

but why not use your smartphone/wlan as an uplink instead of the seemingly brittle mesh networking and solar power..
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: