Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:05:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoincard.org  (Read 29248 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 09:05:54 PM

The project is awesome  Shocked

The only problem is that it's useful only if a lot of people already uses it otherwise it's pretty useless.
And admitting they have right the very difficult technical part it will be difficult to bootstrap it's use... or at least it should be very expensive...

I disagree, the mesh texting feature makes such a device useful for me independently of whether or not it can transact in bitcoin.  Like I said, I want 6 right now for my wife & kids.  Way cheaper to give my kids each one of these to let them go play than give each of them a cell phone with service.  With android phones (and my ham radio privileges) I can give each of my kids a cell phone that uses APRS to tell me where they are, and I can call any one of them home at will.  My daughter can take my cell phone with her to her friends house, and I can track her progress with extreme accuracy.  But that means that 1) I can't use my cell phone in the meantime and 2) I have to pay for that data plan.  With a wallet card sized device, I could do some very similar things without the need of the costly data plan (granted, I'd be paying for one such plan anyway, but not six) or the expensive hardware (i.e. the android smartphone required to run the APRS app).  If my wallet card couldn't see her card because there wasn't yet enough such cards in my neighborhood to support a mesh, I'd still be able to get into my car and drive a couple of blocks to locate her signal without needing to actually see her.  I could get a seventh and pin it to my dog's collar, and find him the same way whenever he got out of the yard.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 07:24:40 AM

I disagree, the mesh texting feature makes such a device useful for me independently of whether or not it can transact in bitcoin.

What I was trying to say is that the mesh networking, for working correctly and being useful, needs peers everywhere.
So, the meshing capabilities of the device will be unfunctional until this (wonderful) device will be widespread.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:37:59 PM

I disagree, the mesh texting feature makes such a device useful for me independently of whether or not it can transact in bitcoin.

What I was trying to say is that the mesh networking, for working correctly and being useful, needs peers everywhere.
So, the meshing capabilities of the device will be unfunctional until this (wonderful) device will be widespread.

Yes, but if the device is cheap enough, there are uses for the device that would drive adoption that does not necessarily depend upon a critical mass to support mesh networking.  That is my point, I have personal uses for a number of such devices that would encourage me to deliberately create a mesh network within my own family.  Get enough of those, and a critical mass is created regardless.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 02:02:22 PM

Yes, but if the device is cheap enough, there are uses for the device that would drive adoption that does not necessarily depend upon a critical mass to support mesh networking.
I agree perfectly but my understanding is that without mesh support that device would be more or less useless.

That is my point, I have personal uses for a number of such devices that would encourage me to deliberately create a mesh network within my own family.
I'm sorry I miss how the mesh network in your home would be useful for you:

1) for being functional, the bitcoincard needs a POS that serves as a gateway between your cards (any of them) and the Internet: you can't use other ones because bitcoincard uses radio frequency and not wifi or other widely deployed technology

2) when you give the card to your daughter and she walks away from your home it become useless because the mesh network is not operable any more

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:17:38 PM

Yes, but if the device is cheap enough, there are uses for the device that would drive adoption that does not necessarily depend upon a critical mass to support mesh networking.
I agree perfectly but my understanding is that without mesh support that device would be more or less useless.

That is my point, I have personal uses for a number of such devices that would encourage me to deliberately create a mesh network within my own family.
I'm sorry I miss how the mesh network in your home would be useful for you:

1) for being functional, the bitcoincard needs a POS that serves as a gateway between your cards (any of them) and the Internet: you can't use other ones because bitcoincard uses radio frequency and not wifi or other widely deployed technology

I'd likely buy a usb dongle to serve this purpose in my own home, in order to keep my own cards up to date.

2) when you give the card to your daughter and she walks away from your home it become useless because the mesh network is not operable any more

Only if she travels beyond a single hop range, and again, if I know generally where she is going (say the mall or a public park) I don't need to know precisely where to meet her if I need to drive to pick her up.  I couldn't text her from the house if she was beyond the single hop range, but if I sent a text like "I'm on my way to pick you up, we're going to grandma's, be ready" the text would arrive at her card as soon as I were close enough for a single hop to work.

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:31:35 PM

Only if she travels beyond a single hop range, and again, if I know generally where she is going (say the mall or a public park) I don't need to know precisely where to meet her if I need to drive to pick her up.  I couldn't text her from the house if she was beyond the single hop range, but if I sent a text like "I'm on my way to pick you up, we're going to grandma's, be ready" the text would arrive at her card as soon as I were close enough for a single hop to work.

Why not a simple SMS instead?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 05:41:23 PM

Why not a simple SMS instead?

If you had read the thread, I mentioned that I can do that all now if I'm willing to pay for a cell phone & service, but I can avoid such charges with a meshable device.

Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 12:12:57 AM

Their design includes a trusted server, which should NOT be necessary for bitcoins.
Well, when you can design a credit-card sized device that can hold and process the entire Bitcoin blockchain, you let us know!  Wink
That is not necessary, a smartcard just needs to sign transactions and updating the future multi-gig blockchain on that vapor devices connection is not gonna happen anyway.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Nunud

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 10:35:40 AM

All the advertising shit at the end pisses me off. I hope that is strictly opt-in, and can be disabled. However, I recognize that that is probably the only thing that will sell it to big businesses.  Undecided

Same here... I was happy until the part about when they track people buying stuff... That killed it for me!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 12:37:00 PM

Their design includes a trusted server, which should NOT be necessary for bitcoins.
Well, when you can design a credit-card sized device that can hold and process the entire Bitcoin blockchain, you let us know!  Wink
That is not necessary, a smartcard just needs to sign transactions and updating the future multi-gig blockchain on that vapor devices connection is not gonna happen anyway.

Plus the smartphone will be the platform of the future.  Android smartphones are now as cheap as $149 on prepaid plan without contract and there are prepaid plans as cheap as $30 per month.

Things like Google wallet & NFC are going to be the next killer app (NFC is useful for more than just payments it can replace membership cards, loyalty cards, metro cards, basically every piece of plastic in your wallet).

I love my SamSung Galaxy Nexus.  Google gives you $10 free to put on a prepaid "card" in the wallet.  I bought a soda & hotdog from 7-11 by tapping my phone.  Pretty cool tech that just works.  This will get people use to the idea of digital "money" and the smartphone as the payment platform.

While Google may never support Bitcoin other apps can use NFC hardware.  If 7-11 wanted to accept Bitcoins tomorrow the hardware is already in place in their 30,000 stores.  All they need is the backend software to process, verify, and route a signed Bitcoin tx received by NFC.

NFC & Smartphones will be gateway to mass usage of Bitcoin.  NFC can also be used point to point.  Say your friend owes you $10.  You make a payment request for 2 BTC (pretty much 2 or 3 clicks in a smartphone wallet app).  You tap your phone against his.  He gets the payment request his wallet app opens up showing the amount, note, address.  He enters his pin and your get a the 0-confirm notification in seconds.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 09:11:56 PM

A bunch of us are flying out to Austria next month to see the product in action.

Will keep everyone updated

Hello Yankee,

Any news about this device?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 09:22:43 PM

Plus the smartphone will be the platform of the future.  Android smartphones are now as cheap as $149 on prepaid plan without contract and there are prepaid plans as cheap as $30 per month.

Smartphones are just computers that are always accessible to the Internet.  Android can be, and has been, hacked.  No thanks.  I have an android phone and won't keep more than petty cash on it.  I want a device that is inherently more secure than an operating system with continuous Internet access that can still transact in a relatively conveint fashion.  I can have a perfectly secure savings account printed onto archival paper & in my safe that I can send money to all day, but I can't readily use that on a normal basis though.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 10:12:03 PM

A bunch of us are flying out to Austria next month to see the product in action.

Will keep everyone updated

Hello Yankee,

Any news about this device?

News will arrive around June 10-15th  Wink
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 11:20:16 PM

Thanks Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 12:33:17 AM

Smartphones are just computers that are always accessible to the Internet.  Android can be, and has been, hacked.  No thanks.  I have an android phone and won't keep more than petty cash on it.  I want a device that is inherently more secure than an operating system with continuous Internet access that can still transact in a relatively conveint fashion.  I can have a perfectly secure savings account printed onto archival paper & in my safe that I can send money to all day, but I can't readily use that on a normal basis though.

How are you going to do a Bitcoin tx when neither party has access to the internet?

No reason for a smartphone to have internet when you don't want it to.  "Airplane mode" disables all radios at the device level.  Kinda hard to be online when you have no signal. Wink
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 03:24:37 AM

How are you going to do a Bitcoin tx when neither party has access to the internet?

<sigh>

Do some research on the matter.

No reason for a smartphone to have internet when you don't want it to.  "Airplane mode" disables all radios at the device level.  Kinda hard to be online when you have no signal. Wink

Unless you intend to carry a second phone to actually make calls, texts or use the Internet while mobile; you're going to turn that mode off eventually.  I'm not concerned about a live hacker taking my money, I'm concerned about a worm or virus that steals android wallets.  That only takes a few seconds.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 06:20:09 AM

http://www.servalproject.org/  they have mesh networking on android....Ive actually used it in Melbourne Cheesy

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 09:15:45 AM

http://www.servalproject.org/  they have mesh networking on android....Ive actually used it in Melbourne Cheesy

This looks promising!

I notice they don't have a bitcoin donation address yet though. Sad

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 11:47:13 AM

What will stop people from going around with a Proxmark and cloning those cards?

Signature space available for rent.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 01:19:11 PM

What will stop people from going around with a Proxmark and cloning those cards?

What is a proxmark?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: