Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:10:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A day in the life of a pirate.  (Read 31718 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:24:15 PM

Thank you all and sorry for annoying you guys. It was fun.  Grin

I now will be leaving this thread until "I told you so" moment arrives. Take care.

it is bound to happen.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:25:13 PM

Do defaults concern you?

I do not think default would be a concern if one had already earn their investment back in interest payments.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:29:25 PM

What is so difficult to understand here?

Your borrowers whatever they say to you could simply funnel borrowed money to a ponzi scheme. You do not need to know about it, and your borrowers would not tell you. Once the master ponzi implodes they default on your loans. Do defaults concern you?

More importantly, the higher your interest rates the less chances that they funnel it to anything else but a ponzi scheme.

BTC rises, your borrowers who converted BTC into USD are unable to pay off your loans they default. This does not concerns you too apparently.

And note that I am not really talking about specifically your borrowers and your business, more about the whole BTC lending marketplace.

lol - I don't expect you to understand my business, and I don't need you to.  It's not too different to the other main lenders either.  What's most entertaining is the assumption that I indirectly fund ponzis when the evidence is to the contrary.  As an example:

1: I send coins to member B.
2: Member B sends GPUs to member G.
3: Member G pays me.
4: Despite this transaction, someone assumes member G is using coins they never touch to invest in a ponzi.

I have had loans where the BTC has doubled during the course of the loan.  The borrower was repaying in BTC from income generated in bitcoin.  The sooner people start working in one currency, the easier it is to understand.  If you keep worrying about BTC/GBP or BTC/USD prices, you'll inhibit your own activity and bitcoin in general.

If people can't understand something this simple and transparent, there is no way they are going to follow what Pirate is doing.  As for the "told you so" moment, at that stage I'll wipe a few thousand coins off my balance (currently 20% of my holdings are in BS&T).

Arrrrgh - the lazy Starfish
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:32:04 PM

Do defaults concern you?

I do not think default would be a concern if one had already earn their investment back in interest payments.

Why not?

Plus, how can it compound if you keep your interest payments? Wink
malaimult

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:32:57 PM

ok so the debate gone a little off topic i suggest someone will make a vote poll and people should vote if pirateat40 sells drugs, launders money ponzy schemes etc or its just a clever dude.

lets see what the voters opinion

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:35:42 PM

ok so the debate gone a little off topic i suggest someone will make a vote poll and people should vote if pirateat40 sells drugs, launders money ponzy schemes etc or its just a clever dude.

lets see what the voters opinion

Who cares? The majority of the people aren't very bright so voting will never lead to an optimal solution. That's why our retarded implementation o the democracy doesn't work as well Smiley
malaimult

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:37:40 PM

Grin nice1  well we cut 10% from all voters

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 12:16:49 AM

Do defaults concern you?

You do concerns, right? Don't you want to be a 100% winner?

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 12:27:46 AM

gigavps, hmm, interesting, thanks.

You are quite welcome. These facts are well known to bitcoin lenders. I will even save you the scolding for banishing yourself from the bitcointalk forums.  Wink

Lending bitcoins is quite a profitable business. There are a number of big lenders who have distinguished themselves and are doing quite well.
Yes, as profitable as LB and BS were before the financial crisis started in the summer of 2007.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 12:30:55 AM

Do defaults concern you?

+1
FredericBastiat

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 04:03:59 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2012, 04:38:57 AM by FredericBastiat

OK so you dared me to throw down. Here's an easy idea I was personally aware of due to my friendship with my boss. He ran an outbound call center for a few years. One of his really good money makers was political campaign polling.

Problem was he couldn't predict how much calling he was going to do in time to go live before the evening news. He couldn't hire employees to match demand either because he tended to overshoot. This required him to hire temps. The pay always seemed to be out of sync with the pollster companies.

He had to pay his temps when he let them go so it left him short changed. In comes the bailout. You cover the payroll and take a cut. I was privy to several double digit percentage gains. The time frames for these deals ranged between 1 to 2 weeks. Do the math.

http://payb.tc/evo or
1F7venVKJa5CLw6qehjARkXBS55DU5YT59
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 04:28:19 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83566.0 Smiley

(BFL)^2 < 0
Bitsinmyhead

Activity: 465
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 07:13:26 AM

Do defaults concern you?

Anyone wonders why bitcoin is a scammers paradise?
Right there is the answer my friends...

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 07:19:54 AM

What is so difficult to understand here?

Your borrowers whatever they say to you could simply funnel borrowed money to a ponzi scheme. You do not need to know about it, and your borrowers would not tell you. Once the master ponzi implodes they default on your loans. Do defaults concern you?

BTC rises, your borrowers who converted BTC into USD are unable to pay off your loans they default. This does not concerns you too apparently.

And note that I am not really talking about specifically your borrowers and your business, more about the whole BTC lending marketplace.

With all this Ponzi talk, you make me want to start one.  Who's up for a pirate style Ponzi?

Honestly I thought about doing one on GLBSE. I would make it very clear it was a ponzi and give the terms. I wonder how much success it would have. Honestly I think there would be some interest but I think Iwould have to pay out 50% or so returns to get interest.

I already talked to Nefario about this (an open Ponzi on GLBSE) and he declined and said it would be taken down. My conclusion: If you want to Ponzi on GLBSE, claim some "proprietory business idea that noone should know about, not even investors!" and do it this way. Out in the open is a no-go, even for penny stock (as I intended).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 07:31:31 AM

OK so you dared me to throw down. Here's an easy idea I was personally aware of due to my friendship with my boss. He ran an outbound call center for a few years. One of his really good money makers was political campaign polling.

Problem was he couldn't predict how much calling he was going to do in time to go live before the evening news. He couldn't hire employees to match demand either because he tended to overshoot. This required him to hire temps. The pay always seemed to be out of sync with the pollster companies.

He had to pay his temps when he let them go so it left him short changed. In comes the bailout. You cover the payroll and take a cut. I was privy to several double digit percentage gains. The time frames for these deals ranged between 1 to 2 weeks. Do the math.

Are you talking about >$100,000 capital and you can make ~$10,000 for each deal? And could you do this week in and week out for the whole year? If you answer yes to both questions, then why are you not doing that as a full time job? (You'd make half a mil a year) If either of your answers is no, then this is not close to the same as what pirate claims to have.

FredericBastiat

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 02:24:30 PM

Are you talking about >$100,000 capital and you can make ~$10,000 for each deal? And could you do this week in and week out for the whole year? If you answer yes to both questions, then why are you not doing that as a full time job? (You'd make half a mil a year) If either of your answers is no, then this is not close to the same as what pirate claims to have.

Pirate didn't start out that big either, and yes, it does scale quite nicely. Political campaign polling was one of many types of calling campaigns that functioned in the way I described (predictable, short-term and asynchronous). As you may already know, the outbound and inbound calling business is a billion dollar industry, and while not all campaigns are as profitable, most are quite predictable (nice multiples) if you set them up properly, or can semi-automate your agents. Bidding magazine subscriptions contracts was another one since it needed quick bridge financing to demonstrate operational status to potential clientele.

The industry may in fact be quite a bit larger than what Pirate does (short-term loan floating). I was a script programmer and sysadmin (among other various and sundry things) for the guy until he got a bigger deal somewhere else. He moved, then I moved, and we fell out of contact for awhile. At the time I didn't consider the idea as a viable one because I didn't think that way. You might say I didn't have much of a financial imagination.

http://payb.tc/evo or
1F7venVKJa5CLw6qehjARkXBS55DU5YT59
bulanula

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 03:35:47 PM

Do defaults concern you?

Scammers paradise ?

Where is that !?

Cheesy
malaimult

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 05:34:52 PM

it's right here  Grin  yupieeee

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 06:14:30 PM

Do defaults concern you?

Scammers paradise ?

Where is that !?

Cheesy

Planet earth?
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 10:00:15 PM

You need more than that to make your 1/2 mill per year.  You also people that can do that kind of business - hunter/gathers.  Most people are farmers, doing something easy and lower risk.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: