Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:18:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Come in and Trade Ammo or Talk about Guns!  (Read 56217 times)
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 12:57:30 AM

Get a Ruger LCP. Perfect if the zombies come when you're in the office loo, you'll still have something to defend yourself.  Cheesy

Yeah perfect if only 6 zombies show up Wink
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 12:58:39 AM

Get a Ruger LCP. Perfect if the zombies come when you're in the office loo, you'll still have something to defend yourself.  Cheesy

And you're a crack shot with your pants around your ankles.  I'll admit first hand that is one scenario that I've never tested at.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
coinrolls2
Donator

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 01:28:38 AM

Yeah somehow six rounds just never appealed to me for self defense, when I can have 18 rounds of 9mm instead Smiley

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 01:38:17 AM

And you're a crack shot with your pants around your ankles.  I'll admit first hand that is one scenario that I've never tested at.
So that's where the LCP appeals - you can front pocket carry it quite easily. Anything IWB goes down with your pants when you're on the throne.  Wink The 6 shots give you enough time to just lift your pants up and not exposing yourself to teh zombies.  Grin

Yeah somehow six rounds just never appealed to me for self defense, when I can have 18 rounds of 9mm instead Smiley

It depends on how much you're willing to carry - for example I could've had mah AR-15 to SD and not mess with those puny pistols.  Wink

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 01:40:48 AM

Taurus Judge, loaded with birdshot. Winner for close-combat. Buckshot also available.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 01:57:20 AM

Indeed, I see your point. But take a look at my Nagant M1895.

This is a weapon of the Russian. Not as clumsy or random as a pistol; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Russians were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times... before the USSR...

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 04:24:49 AM

Indeed, I see your point. But take a look at my Nagant M1895.

This is a weapon of the Russian. Not as clumsy or random as a pistol; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Russians were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times... before the USSR...

Here's a fun fact.  The first several hundred Mosin-Nagant were actually manufactured by Winchester for the last Zhar of Russia, and were chambered in Win308.  If you can find one, though, it's probably worth a fortune.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 05:51:02 AM

Here's a fun fact.  The first several hundred Mosin-Nagant were actually manufactured by Winchester for the last Zhar of Russia, and were chambered in Win308.  If you can find one, though, it's probably worth a fortune.
Actually, all my times spent on /k/ I've never heard of Nuggets in .308. Sorry, but gonna have to call bullshit until proven otherwise. Link please?

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 06:33:24 AM

Here's a fun fact.  The first several hundred Mosin-Nagant were actually manufactured by Winchester for the last Zhar of Russia, and were chambered in Win308.  If you can find one, though, it's probably worth a fortune.
Actually, all my times spent on /k/ I've never heard of Nuggets in .308. Sorry, but gonna have to call bullshit until proven otherwise. Link please?

Hmmm, it appears that I wasn't remembering that quite right.  It was Remington...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin%E2%80%93Nagant#United_States
U.S. Rifle, 7.62 mm, Model of 1916: Due to the desperate shortage of arms and the shortcomings of a still-developing domestic industry, the Russian government ordered 1.5 million M1891 infantry rifles from Remington Arms and another 1.8 million from New England Westinghouse in the United States. Some of these rifles were not delivered before the outbreak of the October Revolution and the subsequent signing of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk which ended hostilities between the Central Powers and Russia. When the Bolsheviks took over the Russian government, they defaulted on the Imperial Russian contracts with the American arsenals, with the result that New England Westinghouse and Remington were stuck with hundreds of thousands of Mosin–Nagants. The US government bought up the remaining stocks, saving Remington and Westinghouse from bankruptcy. The rifles in Great Britain armed the US and British expeditionary forces sent to North Russia in 1918 and 1919. The rifles still in the US ended up being primarily used as training firearms for the US Army. Some were used to equip US National Guard, SATC and ROTC units. Designated "U.S. Rifle, 7.62mm, Model of 1916", these are among the most obscure U.S. service arms. In 1917, 50,000 of these rifles were sent via Vladivostok to equip the Czechoslovak Legions in Siberia to aid in their attempt to secure passage to France.

Yet, this link says that there were Winchester Nagants, but those are lever actions....

http://scwmosin.weebly.com/the-1895-winchester-rifle.html

Among the thousands of rifles that the Soviets sold the Republican Spanish forces throughout the Civil War were they considered outdated and no longer of use to their armed forces. These included a large number of United States manufactured 1895 Winchester rifles in the standard Russian caliber of 7.62x54r. These rifles were purchased by Imperial Russia during World War I at a time when the Russian army could barely equip its forces with the necessary amount of arms it needed. After the war ended most of these rifles that survived ended up being placed into storage within the numerous arms depots scattered throughout the vast Russian territories.

These weapons remained in storage until 1936, when the Spanish Civil War began. The Soviets began supplying the Republican Spanish forces in late 1936 and among these early shipments were large amounts of outdated rifles, including the remaining stocks of 1895 Winchesters. The total amount of M1895 rifles supplied to the Spanish numbered around the 9,000 mark.[1] While it is unknown how widespread the use of the M1895 rifle was over the course of the Spanish Civil War it is certain that many of these rifles survived the conflict and went into storage after the war ended, much like it's Mosin Nagant brothers.

mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 12:24:22 PM

That is actually some pretty awesome history! Never knew about the lever action one, great find. Not a fan of lever action, but I'd love to get my hands on one of those. They've got to worth a small fortune.

I've taken my 91/30 (1942) to the range many times now. Farthest target there is 150 yards, and man is that thing accurate! For $100~, it's well worth the fun and history. It's my first firearm, so it's very dear to me as well. Best hundred bucks I ever spent! Some of these are nearly a hundred years old, and still preforming very well.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 03:07:56 PM

That is actually some pretty awesome history! Never knew about the lever action one, great find. Not a fan of lever action, but I'd love to get my hands on one of those. They've got to worth a small fortune.

I've taken my 91/30 (1942) to the range many times now. Farthest target there is 150 yards, and man is that thing accurate! For $100~, it's well worth the fun and history. It's my first firearm, so it's very dear to me as well. Best hundred bucks I ever spent! Some of these are nearly a hundred years old, and still preforming very well.

Yeah, I have a 91/30 that I bought with a case of beer & about 30 pounds of stripped copper ~1998 (roughly $80) that can drive tacks at 100 yards.  Of course, I can't drive tacks at 100 yards, so the rifle shoot better than I can.  The milsurp 7.62x54r rounds I bought for it can blow clean through a 10" tree trunk.  These things used to define the term "high powered rifle" before 50 cal personal rifles.

Also, if you want some more cool data, look up the terms "Cat's Sneeze" and "The white devil".  One is a special load that is self suppressed, and yes it works, I know this personally.  The second is the most successful sniper in the history of recorded warfare.  A farmer turned sniper during the Finish Winter War who used his father's mosin-nagant that was captured as war spoils during the Finnish war of indepedance.  This guy's record makes all the best snipers of Germany and Russia look like amatures.

silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 08:04:15 PM

Why would anyone buy a highpoint. 

For similar reasons for buying a cheap, milsurp rifle.  To give it to your unarmed neighbor when the zombies are knocking at the door.

I call these burying rifles.  I have 2 of em..  I haven't gotten around to burying them yet.  I had 3, but I sold one to a guy who needed a burying rifle Smiley
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 08:11:16 PM

For similar reasons for buying a cheap, milsurp rifle.  To give it to your unarmed neighbor when the zombies are knocking at the door.

I call these burying rifles.  I have 2 of em..  I haven't gotten around to burying them yet.  I had 3, but I sold one to a guy who needed a burying rifle Smiley

Naw, burying them just makes them harder to get to when the zombies start making the news.  If I have a few cheap but functional rifles (and some ammo to go with them) then when the zombies start making the news I can easily talk to my neighbors on each side that never understood why I buy guns, and 'lend' them my cheap rifles and ammo.  And thus, if the zombies start limping down my own street, there is a good chance that they will meet one of my neighbors before they get to my property.  If my neighbors are armed, even with a cheap boltie, there is a non-zero chance that they will succeed in reducing or eliminating the threat before it arrives at my own door.  Many zombies can be scared off, also.

silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 08:20:28 PM

Naw, burying them just makes them harder to get to when the zombies start making the news.  If I have a few cheap but functional rifles (and some ammo to go with them) then when the zombies start making the news I can easily talk to my neighbors on each side that never understood why I buy guns, and 'lend' them my cheap rifles and ammo.  And thus, if the zombies start limping down my own street, there is a good chance that they will meet one of my neighbors before they get to my property.  If my neighbors are armed, even with a cheap boltie, there is a non-zero chance that they will succeed in reducing or eliminating the threat before it arrives at my own door.  Many zombies can be scared off, also.

All my neighbors are armed.  Some of them even more heavily then me!!  I think I have the most ammo thu Wink
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 08:46:12 PM

All my neighbors are armed.  Some of them even more heavily then me!!  I think I have the most ammo thu Wink

Then you definately don't live near me.

silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 08:50:39 PM

Then you definately don't live near me.

You have more ammo then I do?? Sad
silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 12:04:38 AM

Taurus Judge, loaded with birdshot. Winner for close-combat. Buckshot also available.

Hillbilly special!!

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 12:08:13 AM

You want a better brand? How about the S&W Governor? .410, .45 long colt and .45 ACP

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 12:24:23 AM

http://bondarms.com/

There's also this, which I prefer over a revolver.  It's actually simpler in action, and I'm personally more likely to actually carry one than anything larger.  The idea of using heavy birdshot is also a winner in close quarters combat, because like a short shotgun, accuracy under stress becomes much less of a factor on your side of the fight.  A two shot weapon, first heavy birdshot and second buckshot, wins against a single attacker with more rounds anytime your first shot connects; because even though birdshot isn't generally a stopper, it's hard to aim that 14+ round 9mm when you can't see and half your face is in pain.  I don't consider two rounds enough to have in any situation where one expects a confrontation, but then nor would I consider any handgun to be ideal if one is under arms in a state of imminent combat.

As for those who think that 14+ rounds is preferable to a simple 5 shot revolver in a defensive carry situation, how many times have you been mugged by 6 or more attackers?  If 5 wasn't enough, you were screwed from the start, and likely should have been carrying a rifle or simply stayed out of that neighborhood.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 12:29:13 AM

True, Derringer style arms are great for CC. The Judge and the Governor are more suited to bedside-table duty or varmint blasting.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: