Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:20:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitForce SC - full custom ASIC  (Read 52470 times)
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:58:47 PM

I think BFL should just go all in with harnessing the heat and make the SC Single a George Foreman grill  Smiley

Maybe even offer an optional package with cedar planks for the SC Mini Rig to construct your own sauna.

Warning: Terrible pun upcoming.

If they do that they should just make a MiniRig deep fryer. Best hash browns you've ever had.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ice_chill

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:16:52 PM

How will they (BFL) prevent arbitration, i.e. what's stopping someone visiting BFL office and giving them $60k cash for one 1TH SC, to be the first one to have it for a month before everyone else, at current rates the 1 month will bring in $100k atleast.
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:23:54 PM

How will they (BFL) prevent arbitration, i.e. what's stopping someone visiting BFL office and giving them $60k cash for one 1TH SC, to be the first one to have it for a month before everyone else, at current rates the 1 month will bring in $100k atleast.

I have asked this in an e-mail yesterday and received NO response to this point (i.e., Who gets preferential treatment).  Do they base it on which customers have purchased the most gear?  Lord knows but would like it confirmed...

jjshabadoo

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:03:19 PM

There are several people already jockeying for position, you can probably guess who they are.

I know of 4-5 at least who have regular contact with BFL.

This is not going to end well for the majority unless BFL does an about face and really sits down and starts doing some calculations involving network capacity, difficulty, price, 1st gen asic price and then so on.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:07:44 PM

There are several people already jockeying for position, you can probably guess who they are.

I know of 4-5 at least who have regular contact with BFL.

This is not going to end well for the majority unless BFL does an about face and really sits down and starts doing some calculations involving network capacity, difficulty, price, 1st gen asic price and then so on.

I know gigavps and Inaba but otherwise I am in the dark.

Care to share the rest ?
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:17:16 PM

I have asked this in an e-mail yesterday and received NO response to this point (i.e., Who gets preferential treatment).  Do they base it on which customers have purchased the most gear?  Lord knows but would like it confirmed...

Why would current customers get preferential treatment ? they already have half of your money, so all they care about is WHO IS PAYING FULL PRICE....then worry about the trade-in people after the fact.

HHhmmm..tough decision. Using a Single as an example: Take $1300 clear, or take $700 + old hardware (that we already have the money from) and the hassle.....

If YOU were a business owner, WHICH WOULD YOU PREFER ? $700 or $1300 ?

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:21:40 PM

Why would current customers get preferential treatment ? they already have half of your money, so all they care about is WHO IS PAYING FULL PRICE....then worry about the trade-in people after the fact.

HHhmmm..tough decision. Using a Single as an example: Take $1300 clear, or take $700 + old hardware (that we already have the money from) and the hassle.....

If YOU were a business owner, WHICH WOULD YOU PREFER ? $700 or $1300 ?

Well technically by the time they're ready to ship out the units, they've had all of everyone's money for months, so it really shouldn't matter to them. Smiley
Definit

Activity: 357

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:27:29 PM

they will accept trade-in's AFTER they start to see a decline on their pre-orders... so look towards feb. - march for trade ins.

jjshabadoo

Activity: 535

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:28:44 PM

Well the best hope for BFL ASIC customers is that since BFL already has their money, they wait until they have nearly ALL the units ready to ship for those who pre-ordered and they ship them all at the same time.

Incremental shipping is what will kill those who get their units weeks or months after the first units are shipped, like they did with the singles.

If BFL gave a shit, they would announce pre-orders over a specific time period based on their estimated production time. Tell people to pre-order over a specific window, say 30 or 60 days and tell them ALL units will be shipped at the same time, doesn't matter of you are first or last to order during the window.

So say they can produce 200 small units, 100 medium units and 50 large units.

Take those 350 orders as pre-orders and ship all 350 within say 2-3 days. This gives everyone an even chance to see if they can make this work as an investment.

People will then be able to easily estimate how much hashing power is coming online and go from there.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:29:38 PM

So far they aren't soliciting pre-orders [for SC equipment] anyway. Perhaps they will wait until they are ready to ship, this time. We shall see, I suppose.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:39:24 PM

I know who they are, LOOK!

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:28:52 AM

So if the 50% trade-in requirement is true, you wouldn't even be able to trade in 1 old Single for 1 new SC single + $700, since the trade-in value would only be 46%.

I was hoping to trade in my 2 old Singles for 2 new SC singles (+ cash).  I have absolutely no interest in the coffee warmers.

You're looking at it wrong. The trade in value will NOT be 100% of whatever product you are buying. The trad in value WILL BE 100% of whatever product you are exchanging. Buying a $600 product, and then trading it for a $1300 product is not fair to the seller (which is basically what you're proposing). Buying a $600 product, and then trading it in for $600 towards any new product does seem pretty fair to me...

Imagine buying a 2011 Lexus in 2011 for $30,000. Now it's 2012. You want to trade in your $30,000 car for a $50,000 one, and have them pay you on top of that! Not fair to Lexus. Now imagine they are offering to buy back your 1 year old car for 100% of what you paid for it, but only as credit for a new 2012 Lexus. You pay the difference. That is the most generous trade-in program of any care manufacturer!

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
dave3

Activity: 344

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:55:23 AM

So if the 50% trade-in requirement is true, you wouldn't even be able to trade in 1 old Single for 1 new SC single + $700, since the trade-in value would only be 46%.

I was hoping to trade in my 2 old Singles for 2 new SC singles (+ cash).  I have absolutely no interest in the coffee warmers.

You're looking at it wrong. The trade in value will NOT be 100% of whatever product you are buying. The trad in value WILL BE 100% of whatever product you are exchanging. Buying a $600 product, and then trading it for a $1300 product is not fair to the seller (which is basically what you're proposing). Buying a $600 product, and then trading it in for $600 towards any new product does seem pretty fair to me...

Imagine buying a 2011 Lexus in 2011 for $30,000. Now it's 2012. You want to trade in your $30,000 car for a $50,000 one, and have them pay you on top of that! Not fair to Lexus. Now imagine they are offering to buy back your 1 year old car for 100% of what you paid for it, but only as credit for a new 2012 Lexus. You pay the difference. That is the most generous trade-in program of any care manufacturer!

Sorry for the confusion.  As I posted earlier, I had it backwards.

Actually nevermind, I've got it backwards.  Since you'd pay more cash to do the trade-in on the Single, I don't imagine it would be a problem.

I was proposing to trade in my $1200 worth of old Singles (qty 2) in on $2600 worth of new SC Singles (qty 2) and paying the difference of $1400.  It doesn't sound like that will be a problem.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:50:23 AM

Are you aware of any dealers offering this trade-in? Do they have any of the wide body, 4 door coupes?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Definit

Activity: 357

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 05:07:32 AM

fail analogy tbh...

the resale of a car is easier then the resale of a useless & used fpga dino.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 12:15:31 PM

fail analogy tbh...

the resale of a car is easier then the resale of a useless & used fpga dino.

Then come up with a better one.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:52:29 PM

Durex is selling HyperScrew condoms, but is facing increasing competition from Trojan and it's impacting the bottom line. Some of the lab geeks have been talking about some new condom technology combining the best of latex protection and a vibrator. Since it's a year away, Durex announces they'll be taking preorders for HyperScrew SC (Super Coitus), but if you buy a regular HyperScrew they'll accept your nasty useless used condom in on trade. They'll wash it out and repackage it for AIDS prevention in Africa while charging NGOs full price, keeping the preorder money for a year, killing Trojan's sales while not cannibalizing their own.

In a year's time, HyperScrew SC hits the market, and is a revolution. Guys with SC start railing all the chicks, and difficulty of getting laid explodes. Everyone curses Durex, but is forced to buy their products to avoid being forever alone. In the end everyone buys in and things go back to the status quo, expect everyone's a little poorer and Durex is filthy rich.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:55:16 PM

Durex is selling HyperScrew condoms, but is facing increasing competition from Trojan and it's impacting the bottom line. Some of the lab geeks have been talking about some new condom technology combining the best of latex protection and a vibrator. Since it's a year away, Durex announces they'll be taking preorders for HyperScrew SC (Super Coitus), but if you buy a regular HyperScrew they'll accept your nasty useless used condom in on trade. They'll wash it out and repackage it for AIDS prevention in Africa while charging NGOs full price, keeping the preorder money for a year, killing Trojan's sales while not cannibalizing their own.

In a year's time, HyperScrew SC hits the market, and is a revolution. Guys with SC start railing all the chicks, and difficulty of getting laid explodes. Everyone curses Durex, but is forced to buy their products to avoid being forever alone. In the end everyone buys in and things go back to the status quo, expect everyone's a little poorer and Durex is filthy rich.
hahahahaha, epic.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:56:05 PM

Best post ever written!
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:58:37 PM

hahahahaha, epic.

K, I totally lol'd! But FPGAs aren't single use items, so the analogy still doesn't fit. Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: