Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:40:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet!  (Read 45618 times)
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 03:16:48 AM

Ah hahaha.

Surprised this isn't available still after N months.

Not.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoneyIsDebt

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 08:33:27 AM

Name it the Waitlet
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 10:58:27 AM

I guess it just begs the question, which I am sure has already been asked- why? I mean you're free to develop it, and I'm sure people would really love it, but I'm curious as to how useful it would really be. Since it will still be *years*  until BTC is spendable at any place you normally visit in real life, I think it's a bit premature to be designing something that will be outdated by the time it's useful. Until then, why not just get a smart phone? (Or you already have one) and use that?

more or less retired.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 11:51:43 AM

I guess it just begs the question, which I am sure has already been asked- why?

Security. Dedicated devices are a much safer way to access your "savings accounts", as it's extremely unlikely that a dedicated device gets compromised by malware.
The same thing cannot be said about a generic computer, either desktop, laptop or smartphone.
SimonL

Activity: 113
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 12:01:39 PM

I guess it just begs the question, which I am sure has already been asked- why? I mean you're free to develop it, and I'm sure people would really love it, but I'm curious as to how useful it would really be. Since it will still be *years*  until BTC is spendable at any place you normally visit in real life, I think it's a bit premature to be designing something that will be outdated by the time it's useful. Until then, why not just get a smart phone? (Or you already have one) and use that?

Smartphone you say? Grandmas can't use smartphones. Forcing a device into the public space before there is clear demand certainly is a high risk venture but a do-it-all bitcoin device could potentially (if done right), lower the barrier to entry massively. This would give the network effect something to expand into easily and quickly. But still with great risk, comes the possibility of great reward. When Apple first coined the the name for it's "revolutionary" device the "i"-Phone I chuckled at the silly sounding name. iPhones were nothing special back then, there were heaps of mobiles with cameras and such. The iPhone however made a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could.

Maybe the Ellet could also deliver a simple and straightforward experience for Bitcoin finances (or maybe the Bitcoin card can). It's a tough ask but even if it just makes things a little bit easier it's worth doing.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 12:40:53 PM

Smartphone you say? Grandmas can't use smartphones. Forcing a device into the public space before there is clear demand certainly is a high risk venture but a do-it-all bitcoin device could potentially (if done right), lower the barrier to entry massively. This would give the network effect something to expand into easily and quickly. But still with great risk, comes the possibility of great reward. When Apple first coined the the name for it's "revolutionary" device the "i"-Phone I chuckled at the silly sounding name. iPhones were nothing special back then, there were heaps of mobiles with cameras and such. The iPhone however made a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could.

Maybe the Ellet could also deliver a simple and straightforward experience for Bitcoin finances (or maybe the Bitcoin card can). It's a tough ask but even if it just makes things a little bit easier it's worth doing.

Jesus christ, someone actually gets it!  Cool

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 06:00:39 PM

Great, cause Ill be a grandpa before this comes out..       Grin

But seriously, realistically, what grandmas is going to use a bitcoin device that cant or dosent have a smart phone..

This argument is lame..   

Talking about a market genre thats worthless to cater to...

I might as well make guns for hunting, catered to animal rights activists..   Cause you know..  they hunt too...
Then again, the iPhone was easy/simple to use, but wasn't targeted towards grandmas.  Some grandmas use them anyway though.  :p

Some people just want a device that works.  I like to tinker with my computers, but my phone?  No, I don't want to deal with having to root it to get the features I want.  I want something that is basically perfect from the get go, so I bought an iPhone.  It does the job perfectly for me.  It's easy to use, it does what I want, and more importantly, it always works.  And I don't ever have to tinker with it.

So far, there are no Bitcoin wallets available from the app store (that don't eventually get removed by Apple), which means if you want to use Bitcoin, you have to jailbreak or use the buggy Android platform.  I see a standalone device being much more reliable than any application running on Android, and not many people want to jailbreak their iphones either.

I can see the merit of having a bitcoin wallet on a smartphone, but there's also many benefits to releasing a standalone device.  There's certainly a market for both.
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 08:11:25 PM

Name it the Waitlet

zing
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 10:56:51 PM

ZINGER ALERT

hi
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 09:56:40 AM

Via reddit:

I'm sincerely interested in what's going on with the ellet. I was actually looking forward to seeing it, and just wondered why we weren't getting any updates on it. I understand you've got a business to run and can't just tell me everything. Just curious as to when/if to expect an official ellet announcement.

My response (copying here for clarity):

I've fired one engineer for reasons of a professional nature and actually added 2 more to handle different aspects of the technology involved, we had some issues with our manufacturing agent as well due to disagreements on a very expensive design concept for the final prototype, and my personal director of operations has had a stomach flu for about a week. No one is more annoyed of a lack of announcements than I, but there is nothing to announce just yet. I believe next week will be a bit different and for those subscribed to the Bitcoin Magazine (http://subscribe.bitcoinmagazine.net) they'll get a sneak peak before anyone else. Thanks for your patience and I can't wait to shake things up.

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2012, 10:20:14 AM

Via reddit:

I'm sincerely interested in what's going on with the ellet. I was actually looking forward to seeing it, and just wondered why we weren't getting any updates on it. I understand you've got a business to run and can't just tell me everything. Just curious as to when/if to expect an official ellet announcement.

I've fired one engineer for reasons of a professional nature and actually added 2 more to handle different aspects of the technology involved, we had some issues with our manufacturing agent as well due to disagreements on a very expensive design concept for the final prototype, and my personal director of operations has had a stomach flu for about a week. No one is more annoyed of a lack of announcements than I, but there is nothing to announce just yet. I believe next week will be a bit different and for those subscribed to the Bitcoin Magazine (http://subscribe.bitcoinmagazine.net) they'll get a sneak peak before anyone else. Thanks for your patience and I can't wait to shake things up.

Thank you for not making me jump through 37 reddit links to read this.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 06:32:35 PM

Theres a small speeling mistake on the Rendered link

"Chock" it in your pocket..

Think you meant chuck.. ??

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2012, 07:56:28 PM

So most grandmas can't use cell phones now, but some can and that number is only growing. And lots of grandmas do use tablets. The number of nontechnical users is shrinking in every demographic, and targeting shrinking demographics seems like a strange idea to me.  While there are grandmas without phones and email addresses, I also don't see them ever using bitcoin.  Of course, the ellet isn't directed only at them, but I still agree that it seems like this is a device that will be outdated by the time it is useful.

Smart phones are going to be ubiquitous very soon.  At Google I/O 2011, they said they are expecting their current smart phones to be reselling for $20 or $30 in 2 years.  While a watch that serves as my wallet and only my wallet for security reasons is a cool idea, I still see a smartphone app as a much easier entrance to bitcoin for the vast majority of users.

And the iPhone was nothing special? Really? You immediately contradict yourself by calling it "a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could."  How is that not special? I'm confused.

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 10:35:37 PM

And the iPhone was nothing special? Really? You immediately contradict yourself by calling it "a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could."  How is that not special? I'm confused.
Keep reading. Here I'll translate for you:
"The iPhone was nothing special in terms of hardware. What made the difference was how easy it was to use."

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 12:22:10 AM

It's supposed to rhyme and be catchy
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 01:45:14 AM

It's supposed to rhyme and be catchy

Ohhh.. I missed that...  I still do actually...

My bad

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 05:21:15 PM

So most grandmas can't use cell phones now, but some can and that number is only growing. And lots of grandmas do use tablets. The number of nontechnical users is shrinking in every demographic, and targeting shrinking demographics seems like a strange idea to me.  While there are grandmas without phones and email addresses, I also don't see them ever using bitcoin.  Of course, the ellet isn't directed only at them, but I still agree that it seems like this is a device that will be outdated by the time it is useful.

Smart phones are going to be ubiquitous very soon.  At Google I/O 2011, they said they are expecting their current smart phones to be reselling for $20 or $30 in 2 years.  While a watch that serves as my wallet and only my wallet for security reasons is a cool idea, I still see a smartphone app as a much easier entrance to bitcoin for the vast majority of users.

Does that $20-$30 include a contract?  Because if so, I know plenty of people who are unwilling to tag an extra $15-$30 on to their cell plan for data.

If Google is selling these for $20-$30 without a contract, then color me surprised!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2012, 05:31:50 PM

Via reddit:

This is not meant as a diss post, Matthew, but...

Back Story: George Jones (the country singer) will forever be known as "No Show" Jones because... [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Jones]His wild lifestyle led to Jones missing many performances, earning him the nickname "No Show Jones."[/url]

That said, could "Always Late Wright" be your shtick?

~Bruno/Cackling Bear~
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 05:44:48 PM

That said, could "Always Late Wright" be your shtick?

~Bruno/Cackling Bear~

That signature means: half serious, half joking Wink
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 06:05:55 PM

Does that $20-$30 include a contract?  Because if so, I know plenty of people who are unwilling to tag an extra $15-$30 on to their cell plan for data.

If Google is selling these for $20-$30 without a contract, then color me surprised!

Neither would I, and I already own an android smartphone.  I use a prepaid service for $25 per month, paid mostly in bitcoins.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: