Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:32:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet!  (Read 45611 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:38:45 AM

Time to chime in again, now that a proper naming discussion has taken hold.

I offer up BitCirrus, as in a Bitcoin Cloud held in your hand, coupled with taken Bitcoin to the next level, thus making it a more serious contender. Maybe even better could be BitCirr or Bitcirr or bitcirr or bitsirr (as in bitcoins please, sir), but I digress. Back to BitCirrus with one of the domains being bitcirr.us.

Now we need a slogan, one incorporating a word(s) related to clouds and the transferring of money (coins).

BitCirrus: Bitcoin Clouds in Motion (first attempt, but try to do better)

~Bruno~

EDIT: Damn if this image doesn't personify what I'm trying to relay here. You can see the bitcoins flowing in this image--from one hand to another.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 08:11:29 AM

Interesting idea. I'm curious about the reliability of the permanant backup storage.

Subed!
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 08:34:57 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2012, 08:49:14 AM by LightRider

Bitcoinpurse
Webbet
iPaid
Bitfold
Coindex
Dwallet
PGPocketbook
E-Greeder
Spendle
Personal Digital Accountant
PocketBank
Mobile Exchange Device
TxRx
One Bitcoin Per Child
BlockBerry

LOL

Just to turn the knife...BitcoiniCard

Edit: Just a few more...
Americoin Express
MasterCoin
Miners Club
Diskover
Visatoshi
Merkle Lynch
NonCents
Hashberry

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 10:12:08 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2012, 10:30:09 AM by Matthew N. Wright

It supports Paypal and Dwolla?

Money is money. The distinction between Bitcoin, Namecoin, Litecoin, Paypal, MoneyBookers, NETELLER, or most other online transaction solutions is not clearly made by the average consumer, which is why it will support most every method of payment that the average consumer uses.

For those who are disenchanted by this not being a Bitcoin-only device (because bitcoin!), let me first say that the decision came with a lot of thought. The only way Bitcoin will ever succeed is if it's allowed proper competition. Being unknown is not proper competition, but neither is forcing consumers to use only Bitcoin (which effectively puts it dead in the water). Creating a free market environment where you are allowed to use Bitcoin side-by-side with other digital currencies is the best way to outline the benefits of Bitcoin that bitcoiners brag about so often. If this makes you nervous as a bitcoiner, then it means we've failed to provide a valuable and trustworthy digital currency and Bitcoin is inherently flawed.

People will eventually choose Bitcoin if it's faster, cheaper, and more reliable for them. As far as adoption speaks, the Ellet is the first truly realistic attempt at getting Bitcoins in the hands of every consumer on the planet.

Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 10:23:08 AM

And let's forget the userbase for a multi-money/currency device will be much larger. This will lead to many more people being exposed to Bitcoin and exposure is key. Once they see the advantages Bitcoin can offer, they will surely consider using it.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 10:51:21 AM

This is great. The name is also good, it doesn't need changing. Smiley

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:06:35 PM

Because there is no bill.

Because the service is free.
Of course it is.
Quit being such a condescending dick. Of course it can be free. My checking account actually pays me interest, and the interest is actually greater than that of my savings account. Additionally there are other perks, such as refunds of ATM fees, and more.

If you are using a shitty bank that charges you money to use a checking account, don't assume that all other banks suck that hard. Also, switch banks.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 01:07:09 PM

What is coming next week? Title makes it sound like the device is, but only reference to next week is the kickstarter?

And the name is fine, stop being nerds.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:10:32 PM

Aww come on, I loved "Merkle Lynch" lol Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:20:08 PM

What is coming next week? Title makes it sound like the device is, but only reference to next week is the kickstarter?

To clarify, the fund raising efforts don't stop even with 50,000 units in the hands of consumers. The Ellet will be marketed all over the world (not a cheap or trivial endeavor) so there must be continued fund raising efforts, even at a small level at universities and such.

REF

Activity: 529

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:32:43 PM

-I dont like the name, I guess its hard to settle on ellet when bitdex was so good. bitlet didnt seem so bad either.
-I dont like that it supports other currencies I only care about bitcoins as a digital currency and credit cards for USD but I understand why this is done, it is impressive if it can really support all of those especially dwolla and paypal.
-I dont like the reddit page that is a really stupid.

-good news? I love everything else about the device especially the 40hour battery life and all the ways to back up your wallet!

will it work off wifi?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:47:52 PM

-I dont like the name, I guess its hard to settle on ellet when bitdex was so good. bitlet didnt seem so bad either.
-I dont like that it supports other currencies I only care about bitcoins as a digital currency and credit cards for USD but I understand why this is done, it is impressive if it can really support all of those especially dwolla and paypal.
-I dont like the reddit page that is a really stupid.

-good news? I love everything else about the device especially the 40hour battery life and all the ways to back up your wallet!

will it work off wifi?

I wish there were more informed and constructively critical consumers like yourself. This is how to give proper feedback on a product.

Your points are well received. I hesitate to list technical specifications at this point because although the feature set is highly unlikely to change, the hardware behind it may directly relative to manufacturing costs and difficulties, licensing, better solutions making themselves known, etc.

deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:51:01 PM

Great project!
Can you somehow make or email recipts, since its needed for stores to give to customers.

That is an excellent suggestion, some merchants offer this now on usd transactions i see no reason why out wouldn't be standard for all bitcoin merchant transactions much less transactions to a merchant from an ellet.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
PolymorphicAssasin

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:57:39 PM

I generally try not to post negative commentary, but I think there's an obvious point being missed.  Even assuming this device is made perfectly, no bugs, ships on time, performs better then expected, is cheaper than projected, and looks cooler then cool... It's still going to fail.

Purchasing a separate device to use for payments (in addition to smartphone, WALLET/PURSE, ipad/tablet, etc...) is a D.O.A. concept for all but a few of us nerds.

Why would I carry around ANOTHER single-purpose device?  The money/time/energy would be better spent integrating this concept into NFC/Bluetooth smartphone transactions.  See how many smartphones around the world are already being used for micropayments.  If you could one-up them by adding paypal, dwolla, btc, etc, you might have a viable business model.

I do think its a cool idea in a geek-cred sort of way - but global adoption? C'mon.  Even if BTC became the dominant worldwide currency, you could still make a P.O.S. purchase with a QR code of your BTC address using your smartphone; or some other method using existing tech.

'Who is picking up the check for lunch today?'
'Not me, I forgot to charge my wallet!'

Sorry, but -1.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 02:08:56 PM

I would wear a device on my wrist that doubles as a watch and lets me do all the things the ellet is claimed to do Smiley

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 02:24:21 PM

This is something ive been looking forward to. Phones are hard to secure - with a mish-mash of closed source programs its hard to keep track of whats going on. In this sense iphone is very failed. Android is failed in this sense a little less but has other problems. In particular i saw an exploit where permissions where broken and also every app has read/write to the sdcard.
Even blackberry isnt great especially the newer blackberries. Having a separate device, whether its this or another phone ( i.e replicant android with no binary blob dmodem drivers) is the only pragmatic way to go at the moment.

Certainly id buy one, especially if hackable and able to repurpose. Would buy one anyway at that price just for curiosities sake or give out as presents. Would make IOUs for family members a lot more efficient, if those family members need help with tech ewpecially.

Once again, comparing to fiat and credit is silly. Bitcoin is CASH. Thats the whole point. You dont carry round your savings in a duffle bag. Here you have to do the same.
Having lived in a cash society this is a culture change. When you go out for the day you have to guess how much cash to take with you. Its a bit inconvenient at first but youre so much more in control and you know exactly what you have.  Unlike cash fiat though its yours.

Cash societies would understand this better. People used to debit and credit cards wont understabd until they go to pay and cant. Those are the people who need to be given these for christmas and birthdays.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 02:39:00 PM

I generally try not to post negative commentary, but I think there's an obvious point being missed.  Even assuming this device is made perfectly, no bugs, ships on time, performs better then expected, is cheaper than projected, and looks cooler then cool... It's still going to fail.

Purchasing a separate device to use for payments (in addition to smartphone, WALLET/PURSE, ipad/tablet, etc...) is a D.O.A. concept for all but a few of us nerds.

Why would I carry around ANOTHER single-purpose device?  The money/time/energy would be better spent integrating this concept into NFC/Bluetooth smartphone transactions.  See how many smartphones around the world are already being used for micropayments.  If you could one-up them by adding paypal, dwolla, btc, etc, you might have a viable business model.

I do think its a cool idea in a geek-cred sort of way - but global adoption? C'mon.  Even if BTC became the dominant worldwide currency, you could still make a P.O.S. purchase with a QR code of your BTC address using your smartphone; or some other method using existing tech.

Sorry, but -1.
Exactly this.
And seeing with how much fear MWN started to attack this bitcoincard thing (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78171.0), I cannot resist feeling that this bitcoin card is indeed the future.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 03:15:49 PM

I generally try not to post negative commentary, but I think there's an obvious point being missed.  Even assuming this device is made perfectly, no bugs, ships on time, performs better then expected, is cheaper than projected, and looks cooler then cool... It's still going to fail.

Why would I carry around ANOTHER single-purpose device?  The money/time/energy would be better spent integrating this concept into NFC/Bluetooth smartphone transactions.  See how many smartphones around the world are already being used for micropayments.  If you could one-up them by adding paypal, dwolla, btc, etc, you might have a viable business model.

I do think its a cool idea in a geek-cred sort of way - but global adoption? C'mon.  Even if BTC became the dominant worldwide currency, you could still make a P.O.S. purchase with a QR code of your BTC address using your smartphone; or some other method using existing tech.

Sorry, but -1.

I like Matthew and he's done a bang-up job with the magazine, but I have to agree here.  The key to getting wider adoption is absolutely, positively in making better software, not hardware.  

I'm sure over the years, dozens of aspiring Facebook employees wanted to make a portable "facebook device", and every one of them got shot down in flames.  The same reason why Palm Pilot went bust as soon as phones became small enough.

The proper way to make bitcoin usable is add it onto the devices people carry around with them already, mainly a mobile phone.  I have an ipod, but I never use it anymore, now that I can put my music on my phone.  I have stacks of CDs that are collecting dust, I never use them anymore, I just plug my phone into the car AUX jack.

My wallet I would love to consolidate.  it's full of paper money, receipts, credit cards, debit cards, gift cards, a whole bunch of crap that needs to be consolidated and digitized.  I feel like its the equivalent of carrying around a case of CDs.  

I'm hoping that YC will get a great product out of piuk to solve this problem.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 03:41:34 PM

"Ellet" sounds awful  Shocked

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 03:43:55 PM

Tony, thanks for the comment. I've heard this argument before even with other projects like Yifu's tablet but ultimately all that matters is what consumers want and what the product can do.

All obvious security benefits aside, I don't think the argument of consumers not wanting multiple devices has ever had any merit. One need look no further than iPod to see that. Mobile phones have the same mp3 playing functionality, but proper branding, marketing and a feature list made it a household device all across the world.

Let the free market decide!

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: