Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:34:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet!  (Read 45618 times)
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 07:04:39 PM

Ente

Ja, glaub auch, dass das eine Ente ist Sad

Die einzige Ente hier bist Du!  Smiley

It seems you are the one trying to duck those valid questions.   Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoneyIsDebt

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 08:49:52 PM

This is something a bitcoincard wouldn't be able to do,
What makes you say that?

This from their website:
Bitcoincards only interact with the outside world (the Bitcoin system) through the radio. The card contains a chip with a low-power radio transmitter. In addition to the traditional Bitcoin system, two components are needed for the functioning of the Bitcoincard:

a gateway to ensure interaction between the card and an IP network by radio;
a server to ensure interaction between the card and the Bitcoin system.

So while the Ellet is self contained, the card isn't. Provided the answer to my question is positive - that this is indeed possible with the Ellet.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 08:51:48 PM

I didn't really read that as making it not possible to transfer between users, but that could be the case. Still awaiting more info.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 09:10:27 PM

I have tried "embedded key" solutions for mobile: they just do not work for me because there is the time when I want to make a quick send and the device wants to update its block chain.

I need to wait a few seconds or minutes and that turns the user experience to really bad compared to just any other payment solutions.

IMHO, thin clients (with backend hosted keys) are the way to go mobile.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 10:00:28 PM

This is something a bitcoincard wouldn't be able to do,
What makes you say that?

This from their website:
Bitcoincards only interact with the outside world (the Bitcoin system) through the radio. The card contains a chip with a low-power radio transmitter. In addition to the traditional Bitcoin system, two components are needed for the functioning of the Bitcoincard:

a gateway to ensure interaction between the card and an IP network by radio;
a server to ensure interaction between the card and the Bitcoin system.

So while the Ellet is self contained, the card isn't. Provided the answer to my question is positive - that this is indeed possible with the Ellet.

The bitcoin cards could both store a copy of the signed transaction and the first to connect to a gateway could broadcast it to lock it in.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 11:10:32 PM

I have tried "embedded key" solutions for mobile: they just do not work for me because there is the time when I want to make a quick send and the device wants to update its block chain.

I need to wait a few seconds or minutes and that turns the user experience to really bad compared to just any other payment solutions.

Exactly! This is not an issue with Ellet as it does not store the entire blockchain and uses a specially developed lite client.

xurious

Activity: 413

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 11:50:41 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2012, 12:05:05 AM by xurious

Subbed.

A)I believe I have missed something. I've read through 6 pages of post. I don't see anywhere where it verifies the person sending you the bitcoins actually has them. Can I make a copy of my wallet at one point in time, clone it to a second SDCARD, put it on 2 ellets and send money to 2 people? It doesn't store the blockchain. So if you are in a place with no wireless and no cellular, I can't possibly see how you can't clone your wallet and spend twice. I mean hell, someone can find a way to open one, kill the antennae, and just walk around spending a bucket load of money at say a trade convention. Lets go a step further. Find the spectrum this uses and kill it with a jammer. You could walk around all day just going "oh look, no signal here. Have 30 bucks" and disappear into the shadows.

B) As others said. The name isn't very good, but whatever. It doesn't flow if you ask me.

C) This will be hacked. Saying it can't, just makes you a bigger target. This deals with money, you already have a large mark on your back. See: iphone, onstar, etc

D) I'd say an app I can put on any phone I'm already I'm carrying in my pocket would be a huge plus. I'm not opposed to another device, depending on the size. When you carry a gun in one pocket, earbuds,gum,cellphone in another and a wallet in one back pocket, you really don't wan't to have leave an implant in the other cheek.

E) If you can get it to the right size and display the time, this would make a great watch replacement. Heck, I still might build a strap to keep it on my wrist, no worries about theft under a long shirt then.

EDIT:F) Accept credit cards. I got a square up device a bit ago. This is awesome for me when I'm at shows. Instant payment that everyone already has, especially when they don't carry around a few $100 in cash. As for the fee, I add it to their total.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 12:17:10 AM

EDIT:F) Accept credit cards. I got a square up device a bit ago. This is awesome for me when I'm at shows. Instant payment that everyone already has, especially when they don't carry around a few $100 in cash. As for the fee, I add it to their total.

I have used Square several times to sell bitcoins to my friends, using their debit card or credit card.  the swipe plus signature will minimize the risk.  plus you know the person, so duh.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
xurious

Activity: 413

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 01:33:41 AM

I have used Square several times to sell bitcoins to my friends, using their debit card or credit card.  the swipe plus signature will minimize the risk.  plus you know the person, so duh.

Cheers to that. I actually like this concept for even selling locally to non friends.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 02:43:44 AM

I don't think this is a competitor to the Bitcoincard, but a companion instead. In fact, it might behoove the developers to optimize these to facilitate both systems to work together. Bitcoincard is not a Point of Sales device. I'm sure there are more ways to integrate the systems.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 03:33:57 AM

Subbed.

A)I believe I have missed something. I've read through 6 pages of post. I don't see anywhere where it verifies the person sending you the bitcoins actually has them. Can I make a copy of my wallet at one point in time, clone it to a second SDCARD, put it on 2 ellets and send money to 2 people? It doesn't store the blockchain. So if you are in a place with no wireless and no cellular, I can't possibly see how you can't clone your wallet and spend twice. I mean hell, someone can find a way to open one, kill the antennae, and just walk around spending a bucket load of money at say a trade convention. Lets go a step further. Find the spectrum this uses and kill it with a jammer. You could walk around all day just going "oh look, no signal here. Have 30 bucks" and disappear into the shadows.

B) As others said. The name isn't very good, but whatever. It doesn't flow if you ask me.

C) This will be hacked. Saying it can't, just makes you a bigger target. This deals with money, you already have a large mark on your back. See: iphone, onstar, etc

D) I'd say an app I can put on any phone I'm already I'm carrying in my pocket would be a huge plus. I'm not opposed to another device, depending on the size. When you carry a gun in one pocket, earbuds,gum,cellphone in another and a wallet in one back pocket, you really don't wan't to have leave an implant in the other cheek.

E) If you can get it to the right size and display the time, this would make a great watch replacement. Heck, I still might build a strap to keep it on my wrist, no worries about theft under a long shirt then.

As far as "A" goes you mis understand how transactions are proccesed with lite bitcoin clients. This device verifies from multiple servers to increase confidence and will output the level of confidence it has when sending,recieivng or checking balances. Something bitcoindcard dosent have the proccessing power to check for(although that is an assumption about bitcoincard specs i could be wrong)
fatigue

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:09:49 AM

Looks like a hit! though im not so sure about 50,000 selling... theres around 56,000 members on this forum that it is being announced on and i doubt that almost 90% will buy one as would be needed...  Roll Eyes
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:13:11 AM

Looks like a hit! though im not so sure about 50,000 selling... theres around 56,000 members on this forum that it is being announced on and i doubt that almost 90% will buy one as would be needed...  Roll Eyes

Although this post is on a Bitcoin forum and the title says "The world's first handheld Bitcoin device", this is not in fact being marketed as a Bitcoin device to the outside world (which is arguably why it will succeed). Bitcoin is just one of many currencies usable.

fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:18:24 AM

Although this post is on a Bitcoin forum and the title says "The world's first handheld Bitcoin device", this is not in fact being marketed as a Bitcoin device to the outside world (which is arguably why it will succeed). Bitcoin is just one of many currencies usable.

Would you be willing to reveal more that will be usable than the 4 mentioned in the OP?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:20:29 AM

Looks like a hit! though im not so sure about 50,000 selling... theres around 56,000 members on this forum that it is being announced on and i doubt that almost 90% will buy one as would be needed...  Roll Eyes

Would you be willing to reveal more that will be usable than the 4 mentioned in the OP?

As mentioned before, I don't want to get into technical specifics as things can change during the manufacturing process and some options and features may no longer be viable, while new ones may present themselves.

The only payment service I can absolutely guarantee will be on it will be Bitcoin. Everything else will need to wait until the formal press release. Thanks for your patience.

fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:23:16 AM

Looks like a hit! though im not so sure about 50,000 selling... theres around 56,000 members on this forum that it is being announced on and i doubt that almost 90% will buy one as would be needed...  Roll Eyes

As mentioned before, I don't want to get into technical specifics as things can change during the manufacturing process and some options and features may no longer be viable, while new ones may present themselves.

The only payment service I can absolutely guarantee will be on it will be Bitcoin. Everything else will need to wait until the formal press release. Thanks for your patience.

Got it, sounds like a reasonable plan.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 07:05:18 AM

The keys do not have to be on the server for the device to be snappy. Try BitcoinSpinner for android or the Ellet once it is publicly available.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 07:20:56 AM

The keys do not have to be on the server for the device to be snappy. Try BitcoinSpinner for android or the Ellet once it is publicly available.

Boussac, you can also use Electrum servers.
These servers are open source, they use a open protocol called stratum, based on json.

You do not have to use the Electrum client with these servers, you can use them with your own client.
And you can run your own Electrum server.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 07:23:17 AM

Update: Added the following update to the first release statement.

• Connectivity -- The Ellet can connect on the go to any mobile network around the world, no need for any additional mobile accounts, bothersome SIM cards, or the purchase of any external repeater systems. It also works on Wifi too to provide you with uninterrupted signal to suit your needs.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 07:30:14 AM

The Ellet can connect on the go to any mobile network around the world, no need for any additional mobile accounts, bothersome SIM cards,
how do you pay for that? internet is not free you know...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: