Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:11:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet!  (Read 45623 times)
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 10:33:33 PM

seems legit

hi
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 01:24:41 AM

I'm just going to briefly jump into this thread to correct some misinformation about amateur radio (ham radio):

1) the international governing organisation is IARU; not FCC

I'm not concerned with the IARU, it's the FCC that controls my license.

2) FCC is an obsession of the American radio amateurs. The reason for this is that historically most American hams held radio-operator positions in some military service. Most importantly they bring with them paranoia and indoctrination prevalent in the American military.

Nope, it's because it's the law in the US.

5) Amateur radio actively encourages experimentation with the following disclaimers:

5a) don't interfere with other radio users
5b) identify your transmission in a way that can be discerned by ear by an ordinarily skilled radio operator using oridinary equipment
5c) publish all the technical information required to demodulate your experimental transmissions
5d) maintain (for about a year) the original text,voice,video,whatever used in your experimental transmissions and be ready to submit them to the licensing authorities
5e) there are additional restrictions on use of high power or wideband transmitters.

The rule 5b) means that every about an hour you have to transmit your callsign using Morse code or one of the classical audio modulations. In case of digital radio the Morse code doesn't have to be transmitted using unmodulated carrier (CW). It is sufficient to alter the parameters of your digital modulation in such a way that when listened on the audio the operator can by ear discern those changes and understand them as Morse code.

Digital radios can transmit the callsigns in their normal mode, so long as they are in the clear. In the case of modified wifi gear, this usually means in the SSID.

6) Amateur radio clearly prohibits for profit broadcasting and advertising. This rule is frequently misunderstood to prohibit any commerce or any monetary exchange. It isn't against the rules to facilitate person to person exchanges of value.
Again, nope.  Not in the US anyway.  The classic example is that you can't order a pizza over ham radio bands but you can over CB. Although bitcoin's protocol doesn't actually facilitate a business transaction, it's the result of one, so I don't know how it would work out.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:41:48 AM

So what is this secret weapon I heard about before cut off from the chat?

I'm guessing it's a wrist watch? hehe
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:44:17 AM

So what is this secret weapon I heard about before cut off from the chat?

I'm guessing it's a wrist watch? hehe
Come on, spill all the info, you know you want to.
Just how far along is it, anyway? It's been more than a week since it was supposed to be announced in a week. I see that the OP has been edited.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 04:24:09 AM

Will it support ipv6? Launching a mobile device right now that doesn't support ipv6 would pretty much make it obsolete before even being manufactured. Although it would be a great upsell for later versions. Planned obsolescence and all that.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 04:27:24 AM

Most excellent, Matthew. 

Will it come with horse wallpaper?

Don't put it past me to include easter eggs like that.

A secret episode of bittalk.tv only available to ellet owners lol

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 04:57:19 AM

I would like to point out that it's been more than a week.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 10:02:59 AM

Do your calendar and clock require a repeater and other clock in a 150 meter radius in order to function?

aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 10:06:44 AM

Do your calendar and clock require a repeater and other clock in a 150 meter radius in order to function?
I guess it needs to be recharged at least once a day...
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 02:58:32 PM

Ellet supports encrypted ham radio transactions with the iPhone CONFIRMED!

The iphone gets ham radio? Encrypted no less? Is there some Trucker CB radio app I've never heard about?

Please explain, on the surface that sounds ridiculous.

more or less retired.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 03:52:26 PM

So is this real or not?

hi
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 03:54:57 PM

So is this real or not?
In 4-6 weeks, same as the magazine. Grin

Seriously, I have a theory: I'll bet MNW was pissed at the slow development cycle (perhaps even so with the magazine), and decided to publicly announce it in order to kick everyone into high gear. Protip: Doing that makes mistakes more likely, and won't help quality control and "making a perfect product". As you should have learned already.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
aq

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 04:04:48 PM

So is this real or not?

Seriously, I have a theory: I'll bet MNW was pissed at the slow development cycle (perhaps even so with the magazine), and decided to publicly announce it in order to kick everyone into high gear. Protip: Doing that makes mistakes more likely, and won't help quality control and "making a perfect product". As you should have learned already.

I think the recent bitcoincard meeting in Vienna was the main reason to rush his announcement. And look at all his negative/FUD comments about the bitcoincard - if he just wanted to push his paypal device, there would be no need to behave that way.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 04:18:38 PM

So is this real or not?

I think the recent bitcoincard meeting in Vienna was the main reason to rush his announcement. And look at all his negative/FUD comments about the bitcoincard - if he just wanted to push his paypal device, there would be no need to behave that way.

I think that latter is a good theory.  Lets hope the competition spurs each group to improve their devices rather than causing them to resort to unprofessional attacks. 
aq

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 04:24:42 PM

So is this real or not?

I think that latter is a good theory.  Lets hope the competition spurs each group to improve their devices rather than causing them to resort to unprofessional attacks. 

If MNW were smart, he would change his device that in addition to existing features it would also be gateway for the bitcoincard. Both would benefit from such a move.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 04:39:23 PM

So can someone list the pros and cons of this device vs bitcoin card? Is there enough information to even compile such a list?

hi
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 05:04:09 PM

So can someone list the pros and cons of this device vs bitcoin card? Is there enough information to even compile such a list?

I have seen the bitcoincard, but until both devices are actually in the hands of users I'd be very careful with such comparisons.
As for the interoperability between different devices: I think it is important to keep all devices somehow compatible with Bitcoin itself. As long as each device supports sending and receiving funds to/from an arbitrary Bitcoin address on a standard notebook computer or a smartphone, everything will be fine.

I am also of the opinion that in the end it is about bringing Bitcoin to the users, not some device. It is pretty much the same as with different software clients: I couldn't care less if you're using bitcoin-Qt, Armory, BitcoinSpinner or if you happen to like crafting your own transactions with a pocket calculator Wink

Everything which makes it easier for people to actually use Bitcoin (while staying reasonably secure) is certainly an improvement and I'll happily support every device that helps to achieve this goal!

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 08:58:10 PM

Ellet supports encrypted ham radio transactions with the iPhone CONFIRMED!

The iphone gets ham radio? Encrypted no less? Is there some Trucker CB radio app I've never heard about?

Please explain, on the surface that sounds ridiculous.

Not intended to be a factual statement. It is a joke.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
phatsphere

Activity: 763

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 09:02:50 PM

Is there enough information to even compile such a list?
no, there is simply not enough to do any kind of speculation. the top priority is to find a way to get bitcoins into the hands of many via an easy mechanism. evenly important is a POS device. but we all know that.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 12:26:10 AM

Is there enough information to even compile such a list?
no, there is simply not enough to do any kind of speculation. the top priority is to find a way to get bitcoins into the hands of many via an easy mechanism. evenly important is a POS device. but we all know that.
Yeah, I just rather this be released by some faceless company that eh.. someone with a reputation.. if you call it that.

hi
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: