Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:44:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet!  (Read 45622 times)
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:21:56 AM

=words=
I want to buy one, and this sounds like it will be cool, but how exactly are we going to know that the video is legit. What is preventing you from just saying the video was done at a certain time, doing transactions at that time, then making a video of fake devices and posting that video? It's not that I think you would do that, or something, but I rather know that this is legitimate when I send you 30$ for what could be a paperweight.

hi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:29:10 AM

=words=
I want to buy one, and this sounds like it will be cool, but how exactly are we going to know that the video is legit. What is preventing you from just saying the video was done at a certain time, doing transactions at that time, then making a video of fake devices and posting that video? It's not that I think you would do that, or something, but I rather know that this is legitimate when I send you 30$ for what could be a paperweight.

Funny you say that. I was going to have our engineer set up a live web feed where people could send coins to his prototype and then he would send them back, live. Since I was quite skeptical (still am about 40% skeptical as I've narrowed down which parts are bullshit and which parts are just pure awesome) of the bitcoincard at first, the very first thing that came to mind was "This video on vimeo showing a transaction is cropped, chopped and heavily edited. I bet it doesn't even send bitcoins" and that led me to think "Anyone could have a laptop right beside them sending bitcoins etc".

If anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to do this in a way that could be proven 100% without a shadow of a doubt, please let me know.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:31:37 AM

Live feed would be ideal. He can generate an address, show it to the camera, and then forum users can send bitcoins to it, with him showing the screen as they roll in. If everyone sends a satoshi, they won't lose much, and then he can send the balance back to an address that another user posts.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
PocketCoin

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:44:46 AM

Live feed would be ideal. He can generate an address, show it to the camera, and then forum users can send bitcoins to it, with him showing the screen as they roll in. If everyone sends a satoshi, they won't lose much, and then he can send the balance back to an address that another user posts.

seriously it dosn't require Satoshi him self to step in and come up with that solution, yet both the ellet and the bitocincard can't supply us with a live session Tongue

Makes you wonder if either devices really exist at all.. and all of this "PR" stuff is just to get investors to create a device in the first place....Doesn’t it?

Always seems like anything with money involved is just smoke and mirrors.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:48:40 AM

=words=

Funny you say that. I was going to have our engineer set up a live web feed where people could send coins to his prototype and then he would send them back, live. Since I was quite skeptical (still am about 40% skeptical as I've narrowed down which parts are bullshit and which parts are just pure awesome) of the bitcoincard at first, the very first thing that came to mind was "This video on vimeo showing a transaction is cropped, chopped and heavily edited. I bet it doesn't even send bitcoins" and that led me to think "Anyone could have a laptop right beside them sending bitcoins etc".

If anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to do this in a way that could be proven 100% without a shadow of a doubt, please let me know.
the only 100% way to be sure the device is actually sending/receiving coins would be to send me one!
Seriously though, I don't think there is any way to do this so people wont still be complaining that it is fake.\
Unless of course you want to send me one

hi
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:51:03 AM

What is preventing you from just saying the video was done at a certain time, doing transactions at that time, then making a video of fake devices and posting that video?

Funny you say that. I was going to have our engineer set up a live web feed where people could send coins to his prototype and then he would send them back, live.

Live feed would be ideal.

Makes you wonder if either devices really exist at all.. and all of this "PR" stuff is just to get investors to create a device in the first place....Doesn’t it?

(Serious note to newbies: You might have noticed some people in this thread are claiming this is vaporware. Please refer to the Bitcoin Magazine threads where the exact same people had said that that was also vaporware (it was published, printed, shipped and delivered starting last month). Then when it was announced that it would be distributed by Barnes & Noble, the same exact people claimed it was a lie (it has been officially approved and will be picked up by Barnes & Noble). So please understand that as the creative lead on this project, I won't be wasting my time answering the baseless accusations, only the actual questions, and only when it's something that won't be in an official press release mere days later. Cheers!)

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 02:54:51 AM

Theres nothing worse than impatient trolls.

Mushroomized
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:06:55 AM

Nah, I think people are just excited and dont want to get their hopes up if it ends up to be a fake. At least I am.

hi
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 03:12:52 AM

Nah, I think people are just excited and dont want to get their hopes up if it ends up to be a fake. At least I am.

Only one person in this thread has delivered a Bitcoin Magazine so I cut them some slack if they need more time. Probably should have said "this month" rather than "this week" but thats life.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:25:25 AM

Only one person in this thread has delivered a Bitcoin Magazine so I cut them some slack if they need more time. Probably should have said "this month" rather than "this week" but thats life.
It's not what he said, it's how he said it. Stealing the thunder from a competitor whether it be another magazine or a device or whatever just shows that it seems to be all about Matthew. I hope he doesn't forget that this is a community and that no man is an island. It's fine to be competitive, but let's not forget that we stand on the shoulders of giants. So go ahead and delete my post for being off topic, or just grow up. Having said that, I wish him well.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 05:45:42 AM

It's not what he said, it's how he said it.

Next time I'll use a smaller font, scouts honor.

Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 06:26:15 AM

Where's the crazy guy on the milk crate yelling about how the sky is falling? I need his opinion on this.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:54:26 PM

what kind of size do you think the final model will be? Is it waterproof?

hi
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 09:54:44 PM

Quote from: Matthew
For those who are disenchanted by this not being a Bitcoin-only device (because bitcoin!), let me first say that the decision came with a lot of thought. The only way Bitcoin will ever succeed is if it's allowed proper competition. Being unknown is not proper competition, but neither is forcing consumers to use only Bitcoin (which effectively puts it dead in the water). Creating a free market environment where you are allowed to use Bitcoin side-by-side with other digital currencies is the best way to outline the benefits of Bitcoin that bitcoiners brag about so often. If this makes you nervous as a bitcoiner, then it means we've failed to provide a valuable and trustworthy digital currency and Bitcoin is inherently flawed.
+1

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 11:29:59 AM

Video is still a bit late (hopefully it'll be done by today) but I've convinced the engineer who was recording one of the source videos to start working towards a live broadcast test just for the bitcoin community as soon as he's done with this video.

Accept my apologies on the delay of the quite awesome video that we're working on. As a token of my thanks for waiting, here's an advertisement I drafted up for the Ellet. Let me know what you think!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/v6bxp/leaked_ellet_advertisement_draft_for_bitcoin/

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 11:37:04 AM

Since you said the latest (3rd?) generation would be half as big as the current (2nd?) version, I'm assuming the ad draft is for the 3rd gen product and the video will be of something that is a bit larger? I can't imagine anything much smaller in a wristwatch form factor anyway.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 11:38:45 AM

Since you said the latest (3rd?) generation would be half as big as the current (2nd?) version, I'm assuming the ad draft is for the 3rd gen product and the video will be of something that is a bit larger? I can't imagine anything much smaller in a wristwatch form factor anyway.

You are correct. The advert is 3rd prototype, video is of 2nd prototype which I absofuckinglutely hate in contrast to 3rd, but since 3rd isn't completed yet I have no choice. You should have seen the first prototype! LOL Can anyone say brick?

Note: the video you'll be shown will only demonstrate bitcoin transactions. There are a couple months of developments, contracts, APIs, sandbox testing, etc to go through for additional international payment methods. The newest addition I can't wait to show you guys (can't mention it yet because we're in the process of patenting it) but it'll make this baby sell like hotcakes across Asia*.

(*No, it's not an interchangeable "Hello Kitty" face.)

REF

Activity: 529

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 12:30:37 PM

I hate these reddit page links. I dont even know what to click on. If someone didn't repost the link to the borders bitcoin magazine article I would of never found it. I only thing I saw some who posted its not leaked if you(MNW) released it. I agree.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 01:10:28 PM

Only one person in this thread has delivered a Bitcoin Magazine so I cut them some slack if they need more time. Probably should have said "this year" rather than "this week" but thats Matthew.

FTFY.

Still around.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 01:32:42 PM

<obvious> Theres one way to prove it exists and thats to ship it out  Cheesy</obvious>

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: