Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:48:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] LocalBitcoins.com - a location-based bitcoin to cash marketplace  (Read 125849 times)
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:43:35 AM

one of the reasons i do not ever use escrow.
DITO

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kangasbros (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 11:50:11 AM

Feature requests:

- Ability to re-negotiate a 'buy' or 'sell' contact after a period of time. Hypothetical example: I have a buyer from a month ago who didn't stay in touch, and now they want to buy. But the contact is fixed at the rate it was a month ago, and doesn't reflect market prices. I'd love to have the option to update the request without cancelling and having the buyer/seller re-send the request.

- Ability for seller to auto-cancel a contact with a buyer if the buyer doesn't respond after a certain period of time (two weeks?). If the seller sends a message to a buyer, which doesn't receive a reply within a given amount of time, it auto-cancels the contact and sends a message to the buyer, "Buy request cancelled due to inactivity" or such, so the buyer knows they're to blame for not continuing the back-and-forth communication (not the seller being evil for cancelling a buy order).

Just a couple of thoughts. Thanks kangasbros for your hard work!

-jtibble

Thanks for the feedback!

Sometimes I get requests stating that "I want to buy week ago from now". I then just politely explain that create a new contact little before you come to exchange for the amount you want to exchange, and cancel the current contact. Just that someone creates contact/request does not mean that the advertiser has to comply on freezing the rate for extended periods of time.

Modifying the contact on fly could be good feature, but at least for now we don't have resources to make that feature. So the current recommended method is just to advise the contacter to create a new contact.

Progresso

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:13:10 PM

What are the newbie restrictions for buying BTC through Escrow. I've got two buyers who liked to purchase more than 6 BTC's, but were restricted. At what moment will their restrictions been released? Based on what? Quantity of trades, feedback, your interpretation?

Please let me know.

Oh, and one request. Could you change
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:21:52 PM

What are the newbie restrictions for buying BTC through Escrow. I've got two buyers who liked to purchase more than 6 BTC's, but were restricted. At what moment will their restrictions been released? Based on what? Quantity of trades, feedback, your interpretation?

Hi, currently the newbie restriction is that the first trade with escrow can be at most 6 BTC. After that it grows with volume.

We might change it for some more smart system, and also in the future sellers can specify levels that they are comfortable with.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 07:29:40 AM

I really like using localbitcoins.com.

I use it just to make contact and I don't want to make the deals on the site or use the escrow at all. I determine price on spot at the meeting and do the transaction through the blockchain.

It would be cool if there wa be a feature to mark an offer as "contact only". It would work pretty much like it does now, except it doesn't lock in a price. It would still offer the conversation feature.

Is that something you would consider, kangasbros?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 10:29:09 AM

I use it just to make contact and I don't want to make the deals on the site or use the escrow at all. I determine price on spot at the meeting and do the transaction through the blockchain.

It would be cool if there wa be a feature to mark an offer as "contact only". It would work pretty much like it does now, except it doesn't lock in a price. It would still offer the conversation feature.

That's basically how I want to do it, too. Problem is, kangas want to earn money with that. I would consider charging a fee for verifying passport, address, bank account etc. would be fair enough. You can mark all others as potential scammers some day.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:20:00 AM

That's basically how I want to do it, too. Problem is, kangas want to earn money with that. I would consider charging a fee for verifying passport, address, bank account etc. would be fair enough. You can mark all others as potential scammers some day.

I'd probably even pay a small fee per contact made.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:26:15 AM

There was this kind of option previously. However some users got very confused since there weren't the transaction option, so I disabled it. I will try to improve the process at some point to suit both needs, however now I'm busy with other stuff. You can just ignore the transaction stuff and use the messaging box, as most are doing.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:42:36 AM

There was this kind of option previously. However some users got very confused since there weren't the transaction option, so I disabled it. I will try to improve the process at some point to suit both needs, however now I'm busy with other stuff. You can just ignore the transaction stuff and use the messaging box, as most are doing.

Yeah, that's what I do. However it's confusing people naturally. I have to make sure to tell them they will get a price on the spot, otherwise they might be disappointed or even mad at me in case the price has risen (a couple days can go by until meeting).

It's great to know it's on your radar. Thanks in advance.

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 11:59:06 AM

"Fee per contact made" sounds like the advertiser would have to charge some balance for the next 10 contacts? Or the others have to pay to contact you? Neither would work. If I can contact you for free, I can cause costs and damage you with little own effort. If I have to pay to contact you, I will use a different service.

I would consider a listing fee more reasonable. 0.3€/month base fee to list an advertisement. 0.3€ extra to add a picture. 0.3€ extra for spamming potential customers once Wink, …
This way, those that don't care will drop out soon enough or will never actually list in the first place. In general, fees repel people but when I want to be the market maker trading hundreds of € if not thousands with a 3% fee, I'm more than willing to pay a small fee that scares the scammers and spammers away.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 12:11:01 PM

"Fee per contact made" sounds like the advertiser would have to charge some balance for the next 10 contacts? Or the others have to pay to contact you? Neither would work. If I can contact you for free, I can cause costs and damage you with little own effort. If I have to pay to contact you, I will use a different service.

I would consider a listing fee more reasonable. 0.3€/month base fee to list an advertisement. 0.3€ extra to add a picture. 0.3€ extra for spamming potential customers once Wink, …
This way, those that don't care will drop out soon enough or will never actually list in the first place. In general, fees repel people but when I want to be the market maker trading hundreds of € if not thousands with a 3% fee, I'm more than willing to pay a small fee that scares the scammers and spammers away.

true about the contact fee.

A listing fee would also be bad because kangasbros definitely wants to encourage listings. I would pay one if reasonable, though.

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 12:56:17 PM

A listing fee would also be bad because kangasbros definitely wants to encourage listings. I would pay one if reasonable, though.

kangasbros have geo-data. How about a listing fee that depends on the market density? As long as you are the only one to list in your city, you get the next month for free.

I doubt that beyond the first listing in a city, having people list is of any value. Nobody wants spammy listings or listings by unresponsive people. The fee can be really small to start with but it will weed out the poor listings.

ɃɃ
jtibble

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 08:54:43 PM

Hey Kangasbros, another couple of feature requests:

- Ability to remove contacts from my dashboard. I have a lot of 'cancelled' contracts and they're cluttering up the screen, making it hard to find the ones that actually got released (for accounting purposes).

- Ability to sort my listings by city/zipcode. I think right now they're sorted by date created, which makes it hard to find the one I'm looking for

- Ability to change the message across all of my buy or sell advertisements at the same time.

- Ability to change my transaction limits across all my buy/sell ads at the same time, too.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this site! Keep promoting and building it up!
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 12:21:11 AM

just sold someone their first bitcoins today, my first time going through the process.  it was very easy, although i wish that the exchange rate could be done on the fly when the seller receives payment and sends the SMS to localbitcoins to release funds. 

SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 06:31:12 AM

it was very easy, although i wish that the exchange rate could be done on the fly when the seller receives payment and sends the SMS to localbitcoins to release funds. 
You can still do that, if you keep the amount of BTC fixed, you can calculate the right amount of EUR or $CAD at the moment you do the exchange. It's not very practical of course as most people want to pay with a round number (they buy EUR 100 worth of BTC and not EUR 98.79)
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 07:28:27 AM

Hi,

I've just released a little sum to a buyer via the SMS service, REL 3MWSCU97EK, I did not receive back the confirmation SMS though.

Is the SMS service a guaranteed delivery one or not?

spiccioli

ps. I'd pay a little more to be sure that funds have been released, last thing I want is to be somewhere with buyer's cash in hand without knowing whether BTC have been released or not.
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 09:12:27 AM

Hi,

I've just released a little sum to a buyer via the SMS service, REL 3MWSCU97EK, I did not receive back the confirmation SMS though.

spiccioli

ps. I'd pay a little more to be sure that funds have been released, last thing I want is to be somewhere with buyer's cash in hand without knowing whether BTC have been released or not.

Where are you located/what number did you use? We try to make the SMS delivery system as bulletproof as possible, we have now 2 sending backends . if the primary one fails, it uses the secondary. However it seems that there are still problems, at least delays. We will research the SMS system, maybe try sending each release message two times just to be sure.

spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 06:21:32 PM

Hi,

spiccioli

Where are you located/what number did you use? We try to make the SMS delivery system as bulletproof as possible, we have now 2 sending backends . if the primary one fails, it uses the secondary. However it seems that there are still problems, at least delays. We will research the SMS system, maybe try sending each release message two times just to be sure.

Hi kangasbros,

I'm located in Italy and I've sent it to +43 676 800505463.

Sending a message to that number costs me 0,30 € so, for small transactions, sending two or more SMSes can eat my already very small margin!

BTW, there are several numbers listed in every deal; which number points to the first backend and which one to the second?

How do I select which number to use to send SMS? Right now I'm using the one of the Nation nearer to me.

spiccioli
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 09:27:45 PM

I just lost 10% on selling gold and wonder if it wouldn't make sense to not only use localbitcoins to advertise Ƀ <-> Fiat exchanges but also all kind of gold/FiatFiat/… exchanges.

Given you really try to earn on the transaction volume this might not be what you want but first it could get gold bugs to bitcoin and second it could turn out to be monetizable just as well.

ɃɃ
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:29:18 AM

Hi kangasbros,

I'm located in Italy and I've sent it to +43 676 800505463.

Sending a message to that number costs me 0,30 € so, for small transactions, sending two or more SMSes can eat my already very small margin!

BTW, there are several numbers listed in every deal; which number points to the first backend and which one to the second?

How do I select which number to use to send SMS? Right now I'm using the one of the Nation nearer to me.

spiccioli

Unofrunately it seems our SMS provider doesn't have numbers from italy, otherwise we would just buy one from there. Meanwhile Austrian (+43676800505463), Swedish (+46769436195) and UK (+447937947654) numbers should work internationally.

Also with the SMS system, it should always return the message. So to test it, you can try sending some fake release SMS code, and it should return "Invalid code" response. If I would do it again, I wouldn't probably do the SMS system - it has turned out to be somewhat unreliable technology. Initially I thought that SMS messages are robust, but that was a mistake.

I just lost 10% on selling gold and wonder if it wouldn't make sense to not only use localbitcoins to advertise Ƀ <-> Fiat exchanges but also all kind of gold/FiatFiat/… exchanges.

Given you really try to earn on the transaction volume this might not be what you want but first it could get gold bugs to bitcoin and second it could turn out to be monetizable just as well.

We will add gold/silver etc at some point, but it is somewhat niche feature so it is not high priority.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: