Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:32:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement - ASIC mining processor by Butterfly Labs  (Read 227491 times)
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 05:29:15 PM

Thread has been split yet again.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=141496.0

Guys come on! Stay on topic!, Stop talking about the wizard of Oz and Kansas and how Newegg sells shoes!
Not only is this one of the most heavily moderated threads i can think of, But its already been "cleaned and split" before, And you've made him do it again!
And by the looks of it, He may soon have to do it a Third time!

Also, Very happy to see new photos

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 06:30:52 PM

Avalon went with a very simple chip on a large(110nm) process. I imagine this strategy gave them very high yields out of the wafers because of the small chip size. This came at the cost of a large PCB to route to all the chips.
Well, that's certainly going to be part of the reason. However, take a look at the distance between chips on the BFL board and compare it to the distance between chips on the Avalon board. Now remember Josh's comment about the PCB ground plane not being able to dissipate enough heat due to the thermal density of their design, and how having to redesign the chips to fix this delayed shipping  whilst Avalon shipped on schedue using similar QFN chips.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 07:28:30 PM

Avalon went with a very simple chip on a large(110nm) process. I imagine this strategy gave them very high yields out of the wafers because of the small chip size. This came at the cost of a large PCB to route to all the chips.
Well, that's certainly going to be part of the reason. However, take a look at the distance between chips on the BFL board and compare it to the distance between chips on the Avalon board. Now remember Josh's comment about the PCB ground plane not being able to dissipate enough heat due to the thermal density of their design, and how having to redesign the chips to fix this delayed shipping  whilst Avalon shipped on schedue using similar QFN chips.

Excellent point. I have minimal knowledge of using the the ground pad and vias to transmit heat through the PCB but it makes logical sense that Avalon would use a larger than electrically necessary PCB to give each chip some buffer from neighboring chips.
Askit2

Activity: 981

DIV - Your "Virtual Life" Secured and Decentralize

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 08:48:30 PM

Excellent point. I have minimal knowledge of using the the ground pad and vias to transmit heat through the PCB but it makes logical sense that Avalon would use a larger than electrically necessary PCB to give each chip some buffer from neighboring chips.

Wouldn't this require also the chips be physically farther apart to avoid heat soaking the inner ones? Plus wouldn't moving them farther apart increase the delay while communicating?

I guess a person could just make a huge board and run copper out to the edges but the thermal transfer isn't as effective as a nearer solution. The size of the piece of whatever metal would dictate the maximum amount of heat that would flow at a given thermal difference. It seems like going with a flip chip (ala P3) rather then older QFN would save materials and allow a more efficient board design. By efficient I mean all data would transfer faster going over a shorter connection. Yes short trips nearly speed of light etc but small changes in location on other devices have caused >10% increases in speed.

I think the more compact design would do better if it can be cooled. Thus far I see no reason it can't be cooled.

▄▄
        ▄█▀▀█▄
      ▄█▀ ▄▄ ▀█▄
      ▀ ▄████▄ ▀
   ▄▀ ▄ ▀████▀ ▄ ▀▄
 ▄▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▄
█  ███████  ███████  █
 ▀▄ ▀███▀ ▄▄ ▀███▀ ▄▀

▀▄ ▀ ▄████▄ ▀ ▄▀
      ▄ ▀████▀ ▄
      ▀█▄ ▀▀ ▄█▀
        ▀█▄▄█▀
          ▀▀
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀▀███████
██████            ▀████████     ████     █████    █████     ███████
██████     ▄▄▄▄▄    ▀██████     █████    ████      ████    ████████
██████     ██████▄    █████     █████    ▀██▀  ▄▄  ▀██▀    ████████
██████     ███████    █████     ██████    ██   ██   ██    █████████
██████     ███████    █████     ██████     █   ██   █     █████████
██████     █████▀    ██████     ███████       ████       ██████████
██████     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██████     ████████     ██████     ███████████
██████            ▄████████     ████████     ██████     ███████████
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄████████████
.DIWtoken.com.
▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
......SECURITY DECENTRALIZED...
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 09:23:55 PM

FYI Smiley

I've got my plane tickets to BFL - Kansas City today (email booked digital ticket details from the travel agent) arranged by Josh
So my flight to the USA, leaving Sydney on the 17th Feb (my time) - to be back here in Aus again on the 23rd.

... so I going from Oz (Aus) to Kansas (City) ... isn't that back to front? Cheesy

Whoo-hoo! Kano is coming to America!  Everyone get your daughters locked up safe!
nbtcminer

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 09:43:57 PM

FYI Smiley

I've got my plane tickets to BFL - Kansas City today (email booked digital ticket details from the travel agent) arranged by Josh
So my flight to the USA, leaving Sydney on the 17th Feb (my time) - to be back here in Aus again on the 23rd.

... so I going from Oz (Aus) to Kansas (City) ... isn't that back to front? Cheesy

Whoo-hoo! Kano is coming to America!  Everyone get your daughters locked up safe!

hotdealdave

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 09:47:45 PM

Crikey!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 01:36:37 AM

FYI Smiley

Guess it before clicking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3S7mlRYL-8
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 03:14:58 AM

FYI Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw

Play it!
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:35:45 AM

FYI Smiley

That's quite the trip! How many days do they have you touring the facilities? Anything specific on the agenda?

Agenda: To get their stories straight so when he reports back on the forums it is exactly how BFL wants him to report things lol.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 06:14:56 AM

Well, that's certainly going to be part of the reason. However, take a look at the distance between chips on the BFL board and compare it to the distance between chips on the Avalon board. Now remember Josh's comment about the PCB ground plane not being able to dissipate enough heat due to the thermal density of their design, and how having to redesign the chips to fix this delayed shipping  whilst Avalon shipped on schedue using similar QFN chips.

Wouldn't this require also the chips be physically farther apart to avoid heat soaking the inner ones? Plus wouldn't moving them farther apart increase the delay while communicating?

I guess a person could just make a huge board and run copper out to the edges but the thermal transfer isn't as effective as a nearer solution. The size of the piece of whatever metal would dictate the maximum amount of heat that would flow at a given thermal difference. It seems like going with a flip chip (ala P3) rather then older QFN would save materials and allow a more efficient board design. By efficient I mean all data would transfer faster going over a shorter connection. Yes short trips nearly speed of light etc but small changes in location on other devices have caused >10% increases in speed.

I think the more compact design would do better if it can be cooled. Thus far I see no reason it can't be cooled.

The communication between the chips and the controller is minimal. I am also of the opinion that the more compact design would be better but for compute density reasons. BFL excites me for the possibility of watercooling their chips and ending up with an insanely dense mining cluster. I hope in a few generations BTC ASICs are something that we could order like FPGAs now and assemble custom PCBs to suit our own desires.
Askit2

Activity: 981

DIV - Your "Virtual Life" Secured and Decentralize

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 08:44:50 AM

Well, that's certainly going to be part of the reason. However, take a look at the distance between chips on the BFL board and compare it to the distance between chips on the Avalon board. Now remember Josh's comment about the PCB ground plane not being able to dissipate enough heat due to the thermal density of their design, and how having to redesign the chips to fix this delayed shipping  whilst Avalon shipped on schedue using similar QFN chips.

The communication between the chips and the controller is minimal. I am also of the opinion that the more compact design would be better but for compute density reasons. BFL excites me for the possibility of watercooling their chips and ending up with an insanely dense mining cluster. I hope in a few generations BTC ASICs are something that we could order like FPGAs now and assemble custom PCBs to suit our own desires.

I agree I guess my point was at each speed increase the unit either needs to roll work (more complicated design per chip) or get new work more often making the latency a larger issue as even from on board ram takes time (not much). I don't mean that the latency is huge per se. Just that say a current single has a latency of about .01 second I think it was with the proper bus speed (mostly USB delay and fixed in asics). now the Jalapeno will hash 5x as fast and if the latency stayed the same instead of .01 per 5.1 seconds it would be 0.19% but .01 of about 1 second becomes 1%. The percentage is small enough at low rates. As speed increases latency becomes a speed limiter. Again current to new isn't apples to apples. Current gets work, works, finsihes, submits, gets new work. New will they said cache next work so get work, work, get more work, finish work, work, get more work. This will remove a ton of latency.

I like the sound of what BFL said they changed. I like the higher density board. I like the heatsink getting less thermal resistance to the core. All these things will make for a better end product as long as they are accurate and work as expected. Not that I am saying a FCBGA isn't a viable chip, just that caching and FC will help a lot.

▄▄
        ▄█▀▀█▄
      ▄█▀ ▄▄ ▀█▄
      ▀ ▄████▄ ▀
   ▄▀ ▄ ▀████▀ ▄ ▀▄
 ▄▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▄
█  ███████  ███████  █
 ▀▄ ▀███▀ ▄▄ ▀███▀ ▄▀

▀▄ ▀ ▄████▄ ▀ ▄▀
      ▄ ▀████▀ ▄
      ▀█▄ ▀▀ ▄█▀
        ▀█▄▄█▀
          ▀▀
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀▀███████
██████            ▀████████     ████     █████    █████     ███████
██████     ▄▄▄▄▄    ▀██████     █████    ████      ████    ████████
██████     ██████▄    █████     █████    ▀██▀  ▄▄  ▀██▀    ████████
██████     ███████    █████     ██████     █   ██   █     █████████
██████     █████▀    ██████     ███████       ████       ██████████
██████     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██████     ████████     ██████     ███████████
██████            ▄████████     ████████     ██████     ███████████
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄████████████
.DIWtoken.com.
▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
......SECURITY DECENTRALIZED...
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 08:48:42 AM

FYI Smiley

That's quite the trip! How many days do they have you touring the facilities? Anything specific on the agenda?

Agenda: To get their stories straight so when he reports back on the forums it is exactly how BFL wants him to report things lol.

There's a reason why your ignore is so dark ...

You are so far off the mark and you've made a comment based on zero knowledge of the situation ... or is your statement simply to mean that you can easily be bought and just assume others are like you?

Here's most of the opening and closing of the recent PM I sent Josh to find out where they were at and then got the visit finally organised.
Code:
Feb-2

Hey Josh,

you got any update on where your guys are at?

I'm certainly not someone to promote your guys unsubstantiated claims coz
of your crap history (even with the ASIC), and you know full well I've never been
a fan of BFL, but the Avalon people are really pissing me off, Tom's gone down
the drain, and I would certainly be happy to be able to run a BFL ASIC on an rpi
and show it leaving Avalon's shit in the dust.

So ... when is anything happening at BFL?

P.S. if anything I've said on the forum lately has pissed your guys off - oh well,
damn shame :)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
SellingMyGPUs

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 08:49:09 AM

Great, let's start posting more details like your real name and flight numbers so Echelon can pick it up.

So you have received a free (cattle class?) flight by a guy you never met in real life but know from the Internets.
You are a software developer who made significant contributions to Bitcoin, a crypto currency used by people who want to escape the fiat currency and who are interested in privacy and don't like the government monetary policies. Let's not forget money laundering and illegal gambling. Let's not mention Silk Road and controlled substances legislation (I guess sports people in .au must be big fans of SR)

The company who invites you (Butterfly Labs Inc. - Bitcoin Mining Hardware - ASIC Bitcoin Miner) to come over is paying for your flight and your hotel. Do you already know what hotel you are staying in, immigration will ask. The said company is release a spiffing new piece of crypto hardware they hope to export out of the USA. They want you to write various articles to promote the product by endorsing it's existence and perhaps add some more software support.

Surely this is not a vacation trip but something a bit harder to explain to immigration. I see plenty of red flags going up, starting with the fact they paid for your trip (and they know that before you get onto the plane), you work in the field they are active in and you'll probably travel with the tools of your trade like a laptop.

Don't you need an H-1B?

I got hassled so many times by US immigration it's no longer funny, a lot of times because some of the red flags stated above. (The only time I did not get any trouble was when I flew into Vegas and the only thing I muttered was 'gambling and hookers')

Don't be a jerk to the CBP officers.. "Yes Sir"... "No Sir"... etc

Have fun! ;-)

(feel free to add more search words to this thread to make it an interesting visit)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 09:08:43 AM

Great, let's start posting more details like your real name and flight numbers so Echelon can pick it up.

So you have received a free (cattle class?) flight by a guy you never met in real life but know from the Internets.
You are a software developer who made significant contributions to Bitcoin, a crypto currency used by people who want to escape the fiat currency and who are interested in privacy and don't like the government monetary policies. Let's not forget money laundering and illegal gambling. Let's not mention Silk Road and controlled substances legislation (I guess sports people in .au must be big fans of SR)

The company who invites you (Butterfly Labs Inc. - Bitcoin Mining Hardware - ASIC Bitcoin Miner) to come over is paying for your flight and your hotel. Do you already know what hotel you are staying in, immigration will ask. The said company is release a spiffing new piece of crypto hardware they hope to export out of the USA. They want you to write various articles to promote the product by endorsing it's existence and perhaps add some more software support.

Surely this is not a vacation trip but something a bit harder to explain to immigration. I see plenty of red flags going up, starting with the fact they paid for your trip (and they know that before you get onto the plane), you work in the field they are active in and you'll probably travel with the tools of your trade like a laptop.

Don't you need an H-1B?

I got hassled so many times by US immigration it's no longer funny, a lot of times because some of the red flags stated above. (The only time I did not get any trouble was when I flew into Vegas and the only thing I muttered was 'gambling and hookers')

Have fun! ;-)

(feel free to add more search words to this thread to make it an interesting visit)
Well I've been to the US 4 times before ... though the last 2 were in 2000, for a US company I was working for over the net from Aus.
Never been hassled in the US - though of course since 9/11 things have changed.

... and I already have a visa ... that was weird - as soon as it's processed the payment on the US government website it replies that you have your visa.
I do of course have the address where I'm staying and typed that on the visa application.

I'll tell you all about anything interesting getting through customs when I get back Smiley

I've travelled to many countries including china long ago, a lot of europe and england twice, my second US visit covered many states - I'm not one to be concerned about such stuff at all.
The most interesting part may be the fact that I carry drugs on myself (insulin) and the needle tips for the pens ... and have for almost 30 years.

P.S. you can look up my real name easily enough Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 10:14:33 AM

BFL needs witnesses to confirm they are delaying again? I no comprehendo...
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 02:10:10 PM

Don't you need an H-1B?

Have fun! ;-)

Well I've been to the US 4 times before ... though the last 2 were in 2000, for a US company I was working for over the net from Aus.

... and I already have a visa ... that was weird - as soon as it's processed the payment on the US government website it replies that you have your visa.
I do of course have the address where I'm staying and typed that on the visa application.

I'll tell you all about anything interesting getting through customs when I get back Smiley

I've travelled to many countries including china long ago, a lot of europe and england twice, my second US visit covered many states - I'm not one to be concerned about such stuff at all.
The most interesting part may be the fact that I carry drugs on myself (insulin) and the needle tips for the pens ... and have for almost 30 years.

I cant wait for you trip. You're one of the most respectable user here. I wish you all the best.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 03:19:02 PM

This from a jr member with 16 posts.....?

I do not use bitcoin to escape fiat currency, and I pay income tax on every btc I get from mining.

Most users here mine bitcoins cause it was kool. setting up gpus, tuning them, pushing them. general tinkering...

who the F are you?

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 03:36:56 PM

Don't you need an H-1B?

Have fun! ;-)

And if you change your mind and don't want to visit Kansas to pet a chicken, simply tell the TSA guys that you know (Doctor) Nefario and don't have any cash with you--only 1000 bitcoins on a thumbdrive.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 03:41:32 PM

I knew I shouldn't have removed you from my iggy list.... no wonder that button is soo dark!!

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: