Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:02:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement - ASIC mining processor by Butterfly Labs  (Read 227491 times)
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 01:51:20 AM

So what happens when they can't ship out any actually products that actually work?

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 01:52:27 AM

Whilst BFL provide zero proof other than something that looks like somewhere where they made/make their FPGA products my BTC stays in my wallet.

Avalon have faired no better, they spent all Batch#1 money on making a few prototypes and now have Batch#2 funds to work with to fulfill outstanding orders.

Both have run roughshod over their consumer base with unrealistic timescales, poor communications/white lies and are playing high risk business strategies.

They are both running too close to the wire for me to invest yet, so whilst BTC is on the up anyone with any sense should keep their wallets firmly closed unless you can afford to loose out, only then are the potential gains worth anything.
I was told in PM that they didn't have any problems with manufacturing.

Only with clearing customs because the CNY was on top of them.

I periodically import industry materials from china (including liquid/powder kind of restricted items) through BeiJing's international logitstic agencies, and the shipping time is usually around 1 week (even during new year), not even a single time they were stopped by customs  Wink

Maybe they are just waiting for BFL to finish their test, and start the shipping at the same time, so that the playing field is more even for all the gamers  Grin They have the card anyway

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 01:54:39 AM

So what happens when they can't ship out any actually products that actually work?

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 05:15:39 AM

Chargeback would only work for those who paid with Paypal. For everyone else, if BFL does fail and implode you can look to the bASIC threads for guidance. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 05:40:44 AM

Why don't they say that in public? Like i say 'POOR COMMUNICATIONS/WHITE LIES'.
I know of no business that secretly sends info out to their fanbois only.

Actually, there was a public post made saying that 53 units had been shipped and that if they didn't make it out of China prior to 2 February then they wouldn't arrive at their destination until after CNY.  That post implied that they wouldn't ship any more units until they knew everything had gone OK with those units (they said they'd used a different route, but didn't elaborate).

If they've been assembling the units themselves, there's no reason why assembly couldn't have continued throughout the holiday period.  Two Chinese vendors I use are resuming shipping today - the question is whether Avalon will ship any units they've assembled during the holiday period ASAP or whether they'll wait until they know the batch of 53 already shipped have been delivered without problems (because you really don't want to use that method with larger quantities until you know there are no problems with it).

Avalon have never regarded themselves as accountable to anyone other than their customers and have tended to communicate with them directly rather than through the forums.  It's a different business model than BFL's and you can't really compare the two.  A company of 22 people which has a dedicated customer service team (as BFL claims to have) should definitely be able to provide something better than "probably by June" in response to customer questions about when they'll receive their order - and should be capable of answering 500 emails if that's what it takes to keep customers informed (what do their customer service team at BFL actually do all day if they don't have time to respond to emails).

In re. 500 emails:

My sister works for an outfit (Rassah knows which one) that ships products to convenience stores like 7-11. She recently got promoted from being on the floor to an office-type position scheduling the fleet of drivers. I asked her how many emails she handles a day in that capacity. She said 2-3 hundred, of which she said she could handle more, for she's bored shitless and prefers to be back on the floor where it's more challenging, albeit pays less.

I asked her how she does it, and she said it's easy. I answer all that I know the answer to, and the ones I don't, I know which person should know the answer and pass the email to them. She also said a couple times she's sent to an incorrect person, but they relayed the email to correct department to make sure the concern is addressed properly.

And my sister's an idiot! Not in the derogatory sense, but knowing her command of the English language, making the classical mistakes we've all seen here (allot, their/there/they're, etc.). Yet, she handles the position well enough, allowing the system to function properly. Out of the pool of people wanting the position, she was the most qualified.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, there's no less than 6 people doing customer service at BFL. 500 emails a day divided by 6 people is... Divide that by 8 hours, and you have...

Again, not a diss, and did not take the time to proofread this post.

~Bruno K~
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:00:03 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2013, 10:23:18 AM by DobZombie

BFL seriously fucked a ton of suckers up the ass with their PRE-ORDER bullshit.

Grin Grin Grin

dude, they're all guilty of it.

Avalon "SHIPPED" 4.5 weeks ago!  Only 2 (maybe 3?) still delivered.

bASIC?  pre-order and fall over.

I'd shut the fuck up if I were you, NOT ONE company has delivered mass ASIC yet.

NOT BLOODY ANY ONE OF EM!!

EDIT : Sorry to crack it.  I'm just getting pissed off at this WHOLE situation.  I wish ASICs for bitcoin mining had never been thought up.  It's just giving everyone the shits and starting arguments amongst ourselves. 

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:09:50 AM

BFL seriously fucked a ton of suckers up the ass with their PRE-ORDER bullshit.

Grin Grin Grin

dude, they're all guilty of it.

Avalon "SHIPPED" 4.5 weeks ago!  Only 2 (maybe 3?) still delivered.

bASIC?  pre-order and fall over.

I'd shut the fuck up if I were you, NOT ONE company has delivered mass ASIC yet.

NOT BLOODY ANY ONE OF EM!!

Dude,
I am not going to argue with you:) But if i were BFL customer and there is no single proof that chips are OK i will be concerned. There are already passed 10 days or so  and there is no single proof that chips are ok:). Prove the opposite if i am wrong.

Just to refresh your memory - for that amount of time (10 days after receiving the chips) Avalon team made Working unit with cgminer and shipped it to Jef:) Do you remember that fact???

So Pray to good that chips are ok. Then pray to good that after some time BFL will start to ship:)

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
DobZombie

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:15:37 AM

Pretty cute that every post of mine here gets deleted.  Sick censorship.  Gmaxwell, I presume.

I agree, you're posts should NEVER be deleted.

It's the only way people know how much of a corrupt, slimy, stalkerish, cowardly, egotistical, and the unethical blowhard you are.

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:26:15 AM

My sister works for an outfit (Rassah knows which one) that ships products to convenience stores like 7-11. She recently got promoted from being on the floor to an office-type position scheduling the fleet of drivers. I asked her how many emails she handles a day in that capacity. She said 2-3 hundred, of which she said she could handle more, for she's bored shitless and prefers to be back on the floor where it's more challenging, albeit pays less.

I asked her how she does it, and she said it's easy. I answer all that I know the answer to, and the ones I don't, I know which person should know the answer and pass the email to them. She also said a couple times she's sent to an incorrect person, but they relayed the email to correct department to make sure the concern is addressed properly.

And my sister's an idiot! Not in the derogatory sense, but knowing her command of the English language, making the classical mistakes we've all seen here (allot, their/there/they're, etc.). Yet, she handles the position well enough, allowing the system to function properly. Out of the pool of people wanting the position, she was the most qualified.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, there's no less than 6 people doing customer service at BFL. 500 emails a day divided by 6 people is... Divide that by 8 hours, and you have...

~Bruno K~

You can also write a generic email for certain types of common queries and mail merge it - so you can literally reply to 100s of emails with the same type of query at the same time (the program fills in user-specific data).  This allows you plenty of time to write individual responses to the few emails which actually need them.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:44:07 AM

... I'm just getting pissed off at this WHOLE situation. ...

Understandable.

How many $$$ are you going to lose in this bet? http://bitbet.us/bet/7/bfl-will-deliver-asic-devices-before-march-1st/

Grin Grin Grin

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
DobZombie

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:57:48 AM

How many $$$ are you going to lose in this bet? http://bitbet.us/bet/7/bfl-will-deliver-asic-devices-before-march-1st/

I'm not going to give specifics, but...

More than $10, but less than $10,000.

DobZombie

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 11:31:08 AM

I'm being a smartarse Smiley

I got BTC5 riding on BFL delivering before 1st March. (That's currently US$153.25 folks!)

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 11:53:29 AM

I'm being a smartarse Smiley

I got BTC5 riding on BFL delivering before 1st March. (That's currently US$153.25 folks!)
You shall bet with something else:) That bet is lost....Better bet is to buy avalon from second batch if possible and the chance to get it before any BFL asic is still good enough:)

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
DobZombie

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 12:43:41 PM

Better bet is...

I don't think I could bet on any of em right now.

*sighs*

SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:16:31 PM

Avalon "SHIPPED" 4.5 weeks ago!  Only 2 (maybe 3?) still delivered.
Actually that should be at least 4 units, you underestimate by 50%...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145885.0

More to arrive in mainland China soon I guess. As for international deliveries crossing customs borders, yes, nothing
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2013, 12:06:22 AM

~Bruno K~

You can also write a generic email for certain types of common queries and mail merge it - so you can literally reply to 100s of emails with the same type of query at the same time (the program fills in user-specific data).  This allows you plenty of time to write individual responses to the few emails which actually need them.

I just asked my sister if she uses generic responses, and she asked me...wait for it...what are generic responses? I told you! (see main post above) After I briefly explained to her what they were, she seemed to agree that that could work, but most the time the questions and concerns consist of unique situations, therefore she's forced to respond to them personally. BTW, she does this task while using the phone when talking to drivers and vendors. And she's still bored shitless. She's planning on taking some craft project to work with her so she can work on it during the free time.

Apologies for the aside above, and now the following. She asked a co-worker if there's anything else she could do in the office. The co-worker who does half the amount of work and gets paid more than my sister (assumed, due to position) told her no and to keep her mouth shut.
ziomik
Legendary

Activity: 1946

SELL bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com SELL

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 10:43:30 AM

Butterfly Labs will not ship ASIC-based Bitforce SC products before April 2013

Close?  http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=701

DOMINI IN VENDITA/NOLEGGIO
bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com

Contattatemi pure per info.
---- +++ ----
"Se domani senti due massaie che parlano di bitcoin tra di loro dal macellaio, forse e' il momento di vendere.. se pero' le sentirai fra 10 anni forse staranno solo pagando il conto" GBianchi
---- +++ ----
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:58:01 AM

It says: "The device must achieve at least 75% of its advertised hashrate."

So the result of this bet will be: No

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
ziomik
Legendary

Activity: 1946

SELL bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com SELL

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 11:02:51 AM

It says: "The device must achieve at least 75% of its advertised hashrate."

So the result of this bet will be: No

I bought a BFL SC, but I bet on NO, even as far back as October.
I would rather lose.

DOMINI IN VENDITA/NOLEGGIO
bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com

Contattatemi pure per info.
---- +++ ----
"Se domani senti due massaie che parlano di bitcoin tra di loro dal macellaio, forse e' il momento di vendere.. se pero' le sentirai fra 10 anni forse staranno solo pagando il conto" GBianchi
---- +++ ----
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:13:47 AM

Close?  http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=701

Picture was posted at 1:36 AM EST.  96 minutes too late.

Reported hashrate is below 75% of the advertised hashrate, if Luke ordered a Big Single.

Supposedly the pictured device has not, in fact, been shipped to Luke, and is actually still at BFL, with the picture having been taken by Josh.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: