Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:01:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 [182] 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 ... 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450937 times)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 08:34:23 AM

Ofcourse, you need tools (that's a no-brainer) ... a dremel would be a good start .... but definitely not a task to be undertaken by feeble minded at DIY. But like I said, not that hard (does not mean it is easy!)

Roll Eyes Having worked at my family's machine shop, programming CNC mills/lathes and Wire EDM's for a few years, if you can do what you're saying with a dremel and have it actually work, I'm sure we ALL would love to see that.  Cheesy

On another note, to do it properly, it is not financially feasible for a few extra GH/s, considering the time and costs involved.

That's like saying you want to add 15HP to your toyota corolla by spending 30-50% of the value of the car itself and only gaining about 4HP at the end..  Cheesy Grin

Indeed. Pekatete is clearly so much better than us that I'd love for him to teach us how to manufacture high grade heatpipes from scratch. Because its easy, you know.

cathoderay

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 08:58:18 AM

Indeed. Pekatete is clearly so much better than us that I'd love for him to teach us how to manufacture high grade heatpipes from scratch. Because its easy, you know.

Still insulting Bitmain customers on Bitmain threads I see poop-dawg?

Do Bitmain a favour & stick to your own biased BS threads - you've damaged their reputation enough already  Roll Eyes

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
TrevorS

Activity: 1050
Merit: 377

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 11:14:01 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2015, 11:44:49 AM by TrevorS

Three Silverstone FHP141 fans arrived Thursday and I took before and after temp and fan readings.  The temp reduction I'm seeing on three S5 (w/ S3 push fans) is only on the order of 1C at 312.5MHz, but may be more noticeable at 350.  Will look at that more when the next batch of three fans arrive.  Between 312.5 and 350MHz, both fans appear to pick up roughly 120rpm, approximate norm being 3240/1560 -- current 350MHz temps being 56/54 and 54/53, aprox ambient measuring 72F(22.2C) a couple feet from the miner intakes.

My max temp reduction results from running the same fan (S3) for both push and pull, but that hugely increases the noise. S3 push only gives just the sound of blowing air, adding the FHP141 reduces the air noise, but adds a distinct hum.  I got the following stable results @312.5MHz (one individual S5):

Code:
test case      temp   fan
S3 push only  58/52  3240
plus FHP141   57/55  3240/1680
S3 push/pull  54/53  3000/2880

Subjectively, the quietest case is the S3/FHP141 combo, the by far loudest is the S3/S3 combo, though the stock S5 is easily louder yet.  I'd say the S3 push only works pretty well (depending on clock and ambient temp) and the FHP141 may be worth trying, but there is some hum.

PS -- Appears the Silverstone FHP141 is indeed a PWM fan, wasn't at all clear to me from the manufacturer's description.
Well, it was fun to have the two S5 running @ 350MHz off the EVGA 1300, but some hours later the breaker threw up its hands.  So, I guess 325MHz is as far as I can safely go.

By the way, if you're going to fool with alternative fans, make sure you drop the clock well under 350MHz before making any changes, otherwise, you're courting disaster.  Only start increasing the clock again (incrementally) after determining your new fan setup is actually accomplishing what's needed.

▄█████▄
                       ██   ██
  ▄▄▄                  ▀█▄▄▄█▀
▄█████▄                 ▀███▀
███████                   ▀
 ▀███▀
  ▀███                   ▄██
   ████                 ▄██▀
    ████              ▄███▀
     ████▄▄        ▄▄████
      ▀██████▄▄▄▄██████▀
        ▀▀██████████▀▀
            ▀▀▀▀▀▀
||..THE WORLDS FIRST...........
..SOCIAL UTILITY CRYPTO..
|████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████████████▀▀▀█████████
██████ ▀██████▀      ▄██████
██████▄   ▀▀▀        ███████
██████▄             ▄███████
███████▄           ▄████████
██████▀▀▀        ▄██████████
███████▄▄     ▄▄████████████
█████████████▀    ▐█████████
████████████    ▄▄██████████
███████████▀    ▀▀██████████
██████████▌       ██████████
████████████    ████████████
████████████▄  ▄████████████
|█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
Darthswan

Activity: 818
Merit: 508

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 11:57:30 AM

Three Silverstone FHP141 fans arrived Thursday and I took before and after temp and fan readings.  The temp reduction I'm seeing on three S5 (w/ S3 push fans) is only on the order of 1C at 312.5MHz, but may be more noticeable at 350.  Will look at that more when the next batch of three fans arrive.  Between 312.5 and 350MHz, both fans appear to pick up roughly 120rpm, approximate norm being 3240/1560 -- current 350MHz temps being 56/54 and 54/53, aprox ambient measuring 72F(22.2C) a couple feet from the miner intakes.

My max temp reduction results from running the same fan (S3) for both push and pull, but that hugely increases the noise. S3 push only gives just the sound of blowing air, adding the FHP141 reduces the air noise, but adds a distinct hum.  I got the following stable results @312.5MHz (one individual S5):

Code:
test case      temp   fan
S3 push only  58/52  3240
plus FHP141   57/55  3240/1680
S3 push/pull  54/53  3000/2880

Subjectively, the quietest case is the S3/FHP141 combo, the by far loudest is the S3/S3 combo, though the stock S5 is easily louder yet.  I'd say the S3 push only works pretty well (depending on clock and ambient temp) and the FHP141 may be worth trying, but there is some hum.

PS -- Appears the Silverstone FHP141 is indeed a PWM fan, wasn't at all clear to me from the manufacturer's description.
Well, it was fun to have the two S5 running @ 350MHz off the EVGA 1300, but some hours later the breaker threw up its hands.  So, I guess 325MHz is as far as I can safely go.

By the way, if you're going to fool with alternative fans, make sure you drop the clock well under 350MHz before making any changes, otherwise, you're courting disaster.  Only start increasing the clock again (incrementally) after determining your new fan setup is actually accomplishing what's needed.

Interesting.  My fan swap worked well at 350.  I have clocked it up to 362.5 running fine without any problems.  Waiting for my other Delta fan to come, so I can remove the stock as a pull fan.  The stock fan is a screamer.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 12:01:07 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2015, 01:40:19 PM by pekatete

Ofcourse, you need tools (that's a no-brainer) ... a dremel would be a good start .... but definitely not a task to be undertaken by feeble minded at DIY. But like I said, not that hard (does not mean it is easy!)

Roll Eyes Having worked at my family's machine shop, programming CNC mills/lathes and Wire EDM's for a few years, if you can do what you're saying with a dremel and have it actually work, I'm sure we ALL would love to see that.  Cheesy

What on earth has it to do with you (dogie and bitchie) if it costs more or is hard to fabricate? This is a case of nit-picking gone mad. The initial post was somebody wondering whether a copper heatsink would work better, and I actually concur with them as copper is a better heat conductor than aluminium, but of course (EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS!) more expensive.

And for a person who claims to have worked in a family machine shop, apparently programming CNC mills and wire EDM's, this has to be a walk in the park! But hey, there have also been claims of people being millionaires at 13 and I would not be surprised if the two (pathological liars) are the same person.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 02:33:20 PM

Roll Eyes Having worked at my family's machine shop, programming CNC mills/lathes and Wire EDM's for a few years, if you can do what you're saying with a dremel and have it actually work, I'm sure we ALL would love to see that.  Cheesy

What on earth has it to do with you (dogie and bitchie) if it costs more or is hard to fabricate? This is a case of nit-picking gone mad. The initial post was somebody wondering whether a copper heatsink would work better, and I actually concur with them as copper is a better heat conductor than aluminium, but of course (EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS!) more expensive.

And for a person who claims to have worked in a family machine shop, apparently programming CNC mills and wire EDM's, this has to be a walk in the park! But hey, there have also been claims of people being millionaires at 13 and I would not be surprised if the two (pathological liars) are the same person.

It 'has to do with me' when you attacked me for no reason. If you don't like what I'm posting, ignore me like I do to you.

.... I wish a company made a copper option with heatpipes,  could make a huge difference for overclocking.

Should not be that hard to fabricate on your own .... just need to find out what thickness of the copper slab to get, slice some slots / channels in it and then split a few copper tubes to for the fins that are slid into the slots. All you are left to do is drilling tapped holes for attaching the PCB. I wonder how cost efficient it would be though for just a handful of units ..... ?

Doesn't sound that easy to me. Unless you have a machine shop and all the tools necessary as well as the skills to do properly. Grin

Heatpipes aren't something you can do yourself easily, they're not very use friendly to craft. Generally though, there wouldn't be much point making extreme stock heatsinks which add $40 and 400g of weight to everyone elses shipments when their additional capacity is going to be used by very few.

You've raised your ugly head again .....
If you find dealing with heatpipes difficult, leave it to those who don't (both in practice and comments). No one asked you to add these to your homebrews, and unlike you, most people are not penny-pinching skinflints ....

thedreamer
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 02:59:14 PM

Seriously, that't the best you can come up with? What's next. Name calling?  Undecided

Just because it is a 'walk in the park' (Which IT IS NOT, but you'd know that, if you've EVER done anything in manufacturing) for me to go up to my family's machine shops, find a non utilized CNC mill or EDM, make/fab the right mount/block, find the right stock (material for you who don't know), setup the machinery, plan the program, enter the G-Code with conversions, test and fine tune. How many hours you THINK that takes and $$$ it costs to even prototype? Do you realize that prototyping is extremely expensive?

So if you can do this easily, I urge you to go, do it with your dremel and show it, or be quiet, move on and let people who actually know about the things we talk about / stick to valid and effective ways to improve a prouct. Obviously manufacturing is not your strong point.

Go Big or Go Home.
pekatete

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 03:08:38 PM

It 'has to do with me' when you attacked me for no reason. If you don't like what I'm posting, ignore me like I do to you.

And this is what you take to be an attack?

.... I wish a company made a copper option with heatpipes,  could make a huge difference for overclocking.

Heatpipes aren't something you can do yourself easily, they're not very use friendly to craft. Generally though, there wouldn't be much point making extreme stock heatsinks which add $40 and 400g of weight to everyone elses shipments when their additional capacity is going to be used by very few.

You've raised your ugly head again .....
If you find dealing with heatpipes difficult, leave it to those who don't (both in practice and comments). No one asked you to add these to your homebrews, and unlike you, most people are not penny-pinching skinflints ....

At least you do not distance yourself from bitchie .... you 2 are one and the same .... but like I said, if you find heatpipes difficult, leave it to those that don't. You do not have to throw in your 2 cents into any and everything all the time, mostly with your ignorance.

For starters, my suggestion was a self moded copper heatsink, and I speak WITH experience here as I have a few aluminium slab + copper fins heatsinks that I made myself. The fins were made from split copper tubes and attached to the aluminium using screws and heatpads. Whether it costs more or not, you have no way of telling and therefore are not in a position to add any value to the conversation, thus has nothing to do with you.

Millionaire at 13, went to MIT and left to work in family machine shop programming CNC's and wire EDM's bitchie dogie .....

thedreamer
Legendary

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 03:27:23 PM

At least you do not distance yourself from bitchie .... you 2 are one and the same .... but like I said, if you find heatpipes difficult, leave it to those that don't. You do not have to throw in your 2 cents into any and everything all the time, mostly with your ignorance.

For starters, my suggestion was a self moded copper heatsink, and I speak WITH experience here as I have a few aluminium slab + copper fins heatsinks that I made myself. The fins were made from split copper tubes and attached to the aluminium using screws and heatpads. Whether it costs more or not, you have no way of telling and therefore are not in a position to add any value to the conversation, thus has nothing to do with you.

Millionaire at 13, went to MIT and left to work in family machine shop programming CNC's and wire EDM's bitchie dogie .....

Ugh. Nevermind. Like talking to a stone wall. I'll be the mature one and move on. Is that OK with you?

Go Big or Go Home.
pekatete

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 03:30:44 PM

Ugh. Nevermind. Like talking to a stone wall. I'll be the mature one and move on. Is that OK with you?

Now that you realise your nonsensical comments to be that ... do as you wish. Just don't delude yourself that you know it all, if anything, bitchie dogie.
PS. That heatsink mod I described above was accomplished with no more than a power drill, snips and the trusty dremel that I used for tapping the holes ... so there you have it!

duid88

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 03:33:17 PM

I want to buy s5 how the cost of shipping to Indonesia, I saw on the website was not found, please help
thank you
scyth33

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 05:03:15 PM

just a quick question. is it safe to power the s5 with just 1 connector per blade?
IYFTech

Activity: 686

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 05:32:39 PM

just a quick question. is it safe to power the s5 with just 1 connector per blade?

Yeah, just make sure you use the ones nearest the ethernet port  Wink

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
thedreamer
Legendary

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 05:35:38 PM

Yeah, just make sure you use the ones nearest the ethernet port  Wink

So they are like the S3's? No need for all 4 connections unless you'll overclock? Didn't know that.

Go Big or Go Home.
IYFTech

Activity: 686

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 05:37:36 PM

Yeah, just make sure you use the ones nearest the ethernet port  Wink

So they are like the S3's? No need for all 4 connections unless you'll overclock? Didn't know that.

It's not recommended, but I run a couple like that without issues - never tried OCing them though, wouldn't risk it tbh  Wink

Edit: Good quality gauge wires are essential though.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
Miasma

Activity: 110

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:12:10 PM

Anyone know why S5s don't failover from WestHash.com when its profitability drops below the pw parameter Huh

Code:
stratum.WestHash.com:3334#xnsub
worker address
p=0.0113

eBay, where Thieves Thrive
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:21:07 PM

Anyone know why S5s don't failover from WestHash.com when its profitability drops below the pw parameter Huh

Code:
worker address
p=0.0113

Badly designed firmware. S4s do the same.
Miasma

Activity: 110

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:30:03 PM

Code:
worker address
p=0.0113
Badly designed firmware. S4s do the same.

Thx, I was afraid of that. Guess they're too busy sweeping tombs to revise it  Grin

Be nice if they'd add a power-time profile feature like the SP20s have to work with Time-Of-Use electric metering.

eBay, where Thieves Thrive
pekatete

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 06:33:51 PM

Interesting. Batch Five is now sold out.

Nope, batch 5 is now / still available ...

scyth33

Activity: 99

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:48:40 PM

Yeah, just make sure you use the ones nearest the ethernet port  Wink

It's not recommended, but I run a couple like that without issues - never tried OCing them though, wouldn't risk it tbh  Wink

Edit: Good quality gauge wires are essential though.

thanks! i assume they recommend connecting all 4 is to prevent the wires from getting too hot and the connectors on the blade are in parallel
Pages: « 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 [182] 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 ... 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: