Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:02:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 ... 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450910 times)
oztusk

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 12:20:58 PM

i pestered bitmain, they gave me the approximate date.
they said to keep an eye out for their 'official' announcement... 'paitiently'.

<<<   "MY DOG ATE YOUR BITCOIN"..mtGox - - "MY DOG IS EATING YOUR BITCOIN"...Antpool - - "We were drinking espresso with shots of vodka at this little cafe. My laptop was on the table. This big dog came up behind us and,.. and..." ...nicehash     ANTMINER is currently servicing 20-30% of the entire network hash rate. Enenatis. Quis interdum ac, aliquet nec est. www.bitmaintech.com Euismod risus sed, venenatis tellus. Aliquam vel. Spontaneous emission is not inherent to an emitter, but rather depends on its electromagnetic environment.        "THE DOG ATE YOUR BITCOIN"..mtGox
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 12:26:52 PM

i pestered bitmain, they gave me the approximate date.
they said to keep an eye out for their 'official' announcement... 'paitiently'.
Thx! Not many producers left to buy from.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Digitalmocking

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 06:23:01 PM

Question to Bitmain, Dogie or whoever is in the know:

Will Bitmain sell their next gen 14/16nm Finfet machines or solely mine themselves? Any time frame?

Bitmain says s7 late july.

idk if this is 14 nm though....

i reckon Bitmain will always sell miners to anyone who buys them and pays the electric bill.
much easier profit for Bitmain that way.

Considering the heavy delays for 14/16nm production sites as well as the increased demand from large manufacturers (samsung, apple, et al) I really doubt we'll see anything in the 14/16 space this year actually released.
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 08:15:41 PM

Will Bitmain sell their next gen 14/16nm Finfet machines or solely mine themselves? Any time frame?

i reckon Bitmain will always sell miners to anyone who buys them and pays the electric bill.

Considering the heavy delays for 14/16nm production sites as well as the increased demand from large manufacturers (samsung, apple, et al) I really doubt we'll see anything in the 14/16 space this year actually released.

The noise we've heard earlier from TSMC and Global Foundries was that Bitcoin ASIC manufacturers are ideal for first runs of new production processes due to low price sensitivity and high tolerance for low yield. Samsung and Apple et al. have much tighter margins and prefer mature processes. But, as you say, there have been heavy delays. Plus, Bitcoin mining gear manufacturers are not in excellent shape nowadays.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Digitalmocking

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 08:33:20 PM

The noise we've heard earlier from TSMC and Global Foundries was that Bitcoin ASIC manufacturers are ideal for first runs of new production processes due to low price sensitivity and high tolerance for low yield. Samsung and Apple et al. have much tighter margins and prefer mature processes. But, as you say, there have been heavy delays. Plus, Bitcoin mining gear manufacturers are not in excellent shape nowadays.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that really.

It just seems so weird that NO ONE has announced a product or even teased one.  I expected to hear something from the Austin meeting last month and nothing came out of it.
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 09:16:40 PM

It just seems so weird that NO ONE has announced a product or even teased one.  I expected to hear something from the Austin meeting last month and nothing came out of it.
TBH it worries me. It's hard to make investment plans when the mining landscape is like this. Buying 0.4-0.6w/gh gear when actors like KnC are pumping out sub 0.1w/gh gear is risky when the price is either flat or falling. If we get a 5x/10x BTC price jump, the sheer amount of gear and electricity needed to pump the hashrate, even to make S3s unprofitable, would make it much easier. But if we can't get next gen gear, the hashrate will catch up with us eventually. You'd think there'd be a market for bleeding edge gear for smaller or home miners, but the string of Bitcoin ASIC bankruptcies of late isn't encouraging.

Digitalmocking

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 11:37:59 PM

It just seems so weird that NO ONE has announced a product or even teased one.  I expected to hear something from the Austin meeting last month and nothing came out of it.
TBH it worries me. It's hard to make investment plans when the mining landscape is like this. Buying 0.4-0.6w/gh gear when actors like KnC are pumping out sub 0.1w/gh gear is risky when the price is either flat or falling. If we get a 5x/10x BTC price jump, the sheer amount of gear and electricity needed to pump the hashrate, even to make S3s unprofitable, would make it much easier. But if we can't get next gen gear, the hashrate will catch up with us eventually. You'd think there'd be a market for bleeding edge gear for smaller or home miners, but the string of Bitcoin ASIC bankruptcies of late isn't encouraging.

I know KnC says they've rolled out their 16nm but KnC says a lot of things, some not true after their shipping delays and being sued over it.

Fact is, if they're producing 0.7w/gh gear, everything else will be obsolete, unless Bitmain also has 16/14nm taped out and ready in mass quantities.  I've just finished a deal for a space with cheap power in WA state, but at this point, I'm loathe to purchase any miners to put in the space.

Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 12:07:31 AM

I know KnC says they've rolled out their 16nm but KnC says a lot of things, some not true after their shipping delays and being sued over it.

Fact is, if they're producing 0.7w/gh gear, everything else will be obsolete, unless Bitmain also has 16/14nm taped out and ready in mass quantities.  I've just finished a deal for a space with cheap power in WA state, but at this point, I'm loathe to purchase any miners to put in the space.

If KnC really are done selling HW, then there is a limit to how much hashing power they can pump into the network without being accused of enabling a 51% attack. Even if they spread their hashing power over onto other pools, they would be foolish to risk damaging BTC by sparking a debate regarding one actor having control over more than 51% of the hashing power. This should limit network growth until someone else gets 14/16nm going. However, it's hard trust KnC to act responsibly.

I have been very impressed with Bitmain, and hope to buy from them again. However, I have been impressed with them for the wrong reasons. They build products that work and they ship them when they are supposed to. It kind of says a lot about Bitcoin that this is seen as generous. Reminds me of a Chris Rock bit: "Quit bragging about stuff you're supposed to do! "I take care of my kids!", you're supposed to take care of your kids! "I have never been to jail!", well, you're not supposed to go to jail!".

Digitalmocking

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 12:31:25 AM

Fact is, if they're producing 0.7w/gh gear, everything else will be obsolete, unless Bitmain also has 16/14nm taped out and ready in mass quantities.  I've just finished a deal for a space with cheap power in WA state, but at this point, I'm loathe to purchase any miners to put in the space.

If KnC really are done selling HW, then there is a limit to how much hashing power they can pump into the network without being accused of enabling a 51% attack. Even if they spread their hashing power over onto other pools, they would be foolish to risk damaging BTC by sparking a debate regarding one actor having control over more than 51% of the hashing power. This should limit network growth until someone else gets 14/16nm going. However, it's hard trust KnC to act responsibly.

I have been very impressed with Bitmain, and hope to buy from them again. However, I have been impressed with them for the wrong reasons. They build products that work and they ship them when they are supposed to. It kind of says a lot about Bitcoin that this is seen as generous. Reminds me of a Chris Rock bit: "Quit bragging about stuff you're supposed to do! "I take care of my kids!", you're supposed to take care of your kids! "I have never been to jail!", well, you're not supposed to go to jail!".

I'm super salty we won't see any more Spondoolies boxes in the consumer space Sad

Ugh, 200kw to use and I just can't see investing money into it.  It'll break even and a little bit more with the gear I have, but I think its best to wait until late July to see what shakes out.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 05:30:50 AM

In the end, AntMiner was shipping all used, refurbs as new hardware out. I don't think I would order again unless it actually specified it was NEW, unused hardware. And then to pay the price $340 that it has been for a couple of months still. Should be $150.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 05:58:47 AM

Yes, but aren't S5's known to sometimes overheat when the internet goes down and there's no hashing going on?  I personally added a rear fan and wired it to a full 12v so it's always running full out even if the internet goes down and the controller board signals slow or no fan speed.

I have a pair of S5's that do indeed heat up when the internet goes down.  Others don't have that problem.  I would suggest S5 users, kill their modem to force a test on their S5's to see how their's react with no internet.  My fans slow way down, but the heat goes way up.  YMMV

There are pages and pages in this thread that talk about the same runaways temps when the Internet drops out or a problem with the pool. Users have posted screen shots and everything. Nothing was really done about it. This is nothing new.

opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 06:09:59 AM

@Bitmain

Is there any information as to what adhesive heat sinks would be appropriate to install on the S5 outer blades to help reduce temperature?  It's getting to Summer and if you can share an effective modification, that would be great.  I yesterday further under-clocked my six already under-clocked S5s from 312MHz to 300MHz so as to stay under 65C.

Thanks -- Trevor

Most of those tiny little heatsinks already have a very think layer of paste on them. Usually protected by a think piece of plastic. Just remove the plastic and stick on the heatsink. Once temps start to rise and "soften" and "melt" the paste it will cure maybe in 24-36 hours.

opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 06:26:01 AM

anyone know how to change the http port from 80 on the S5? i want to port forward to it and i need my second one on a different port.

You don't change the S5's port, you change the port in your firewall. Look into getting a program called CryptoGlance.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 10:16:28 AM

In the end, AntMiner was shipping all used, refurbs as new hardware out. I don't think I would order again unless it actually specified it was NEW, unused hardware. And then to pay the price $340 that it has been for a couple of months still. Should be $150.

While you're at it, can we all buy your $100 notes for $30?

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 04:30:35 PM

I have bought a total of 35 Antminer S5. Every time I have got used and dusty miners.

Dogie, Must be Antminer S5  purchased for each month of the last full moon,   to get a brand new and unused miner ?
Or is there some other specified date for  buy, to receive brand new and unused miner ?

PatSNL

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 11:39:17 PM

Yes, but aren't S5's known to sometimes overheat when the internet goes down and there's no hashing going on?  I personally added a rear fan and wired it to a full 12v so it's always running full out even if the internet goes down and the controller board signals slow or no fan speed.

I have a pair of S5's that do indeed heat up when the internet goes down.  Others don't have that problem.  I would suggest S5 users, kill their modem to force a test on their S5's to see how their's react with no internet.  My fans slow way down, but the heat goes way up.  YMMV

There are pages and pages in this thread that talk about the same runaways temps when the Internet drops out or a problem with the pool. Users have posted screen shots and everything. Nothing was really done about it. This is nothing new.

I know it's nothing new.  I know there has been plenty of discussion in this thread about it.  I wasn't trying to bring up an old topic.

User Soy asked a question:
Yes, but aren't S5's known to sometimes overheat when the internet goes down and there's no hashing going on?

I thought I would give a brief confirmation with my first hand experience, that it can indeed be a problem.  Just trying to give another user a short answer to their question.

Left positive feedback for Dogie & now don't feel the same? Remove it here
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 12:10:33 AM

Thank you for confirming that Bitmain was passing off used and dusty stock as "brand new".
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 12:20:50 AM

Thank you for confirming that Bitmain was passing off used and dusty stock as "brand new".

I cannot find the words 'brand new'  anywhere in the product description.
BITMAIN ANTMINER S5 BATCH 5: The New Standard

A limited quantity of units will be sold in this batch. This is the last round of production for AntMiner S5, and Batch 5 will be the second-to-last batch of S5 units to be sold.

Generally, shipping out within 48 hours after full payment.

For bulk purchasing (more than 500 units), please contact info@bitmaintech.com directly. Bulk buyers can pay an advance deposit of 37.5% of the full payment to reserve stock. This down payment is non-refundable.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 01:29:55 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=902305.msg10713712#msg10713712

@ Bitmain:

Are these brand new & unused - or are they from your mining farm?

Ta.

Hi cathoderay,
Brand New.

I cannot find the words 'brand new'  anywhere in the product description.
BITMAIN ANTMINER S5 BATCH 5: The New Standard
A limited quantity of units will be sold in this batch. This is the last round of production for AntMiner S5, and Batch 5 will be the second-to-last batch of S5 units to be sold.
Generally, shipping out within 48 hours after full payment.
For bulk purchasing (more than 500 units), please contact info@bitmaintech.com directly. Bulk buyers can pay an advance deposit of 37.5% of the full payment to reserve stock. This down payment is non-refundable.
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 02:40:12 AM

the one i got looked new..
but seriously if they were made yesterday or 5 months ago.. if they havent been sold to someone they would be classified as new.

Pages: « 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 ... 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: