Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:37:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450933 times)
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:55:05 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 07:12:58 AM by toptek

So i now have a dead PCB, when plugged and the miner otherwise running, the chip will return ------------------------------- and the voltage across the board is 0. When ran alone it will report oooooooooooooooooooooooooo but won't hash anyways.

Any thoughts? Any thing that can be easily checked to know if the board is salvageable?

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:35:37 AM

So i now have a dead PCB, when plugged and the miner otherwise running, the chip will return ------------------------------- and the voltage across the board is 0. When ran alone it will report oooooooooooooooooooooooooo but won't hash anyways.

Any thoughts? Any thing that can be easily checked to know if the board is salvageable?

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,

I've used the range to repair my router in the past, cooking a populated PCBs sure stinks like hell!
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 09:49:44 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 11:37:30 AM by toptek

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,

I've used the range to repair my router in the past, cooking a populated PCBs sure stinks like hell!

I would hope he looks that up first to if hes gonna try it and not do it in a oven he cooks his food in . go buy a cheap toaster oven.

here is more on it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflow_soldering

you all most do the same thing making a PCB board .it called Reflow Soldering, had to find out what it is called .

how to

http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/

It can work and did for me on one of my S5 some time ago but that S5 has sense gone up because i did some really stupid stuff to it that made the hash boards beyond repair other then having it thorn a part and fixed that way .

Preheat the oven first that's a must DO, don't do what i did, stick it in while it preheated .

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:19:35 PM

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,

I would hope he looks that up first to if hes gonna try it and not do it in a oven he cooks his food in . go buy a cheap toaster oven.

here is more on it

you all most do the same thing making a PCB board .it called Reflow Soldering, had to find out what it is called .

how to

It can work and did for me on one of my S5 some time ago but that S5 has sense gone up because i did some really stupid stuff to it that made the hash boards beyond repair other then having it thorn a part and fixed that way .

Preheat the oven first that's a must DO, don't do what i did, stick it in while it preheated .

I really did not expect this as a troubleshoot. I'd be inclined to try it, reviving it is probably worth more than anything i can get for it. And hopefully this won't damage the chips?

I do have a mini oven but i'm not sure i can trust the meter. If i do it in my main oven and slap a fan in it for a day or two to air it up, would it be fine?

Also the link http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/ is dead to me, does someone else has a trustable guide for doing this?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:22:10 PM

bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins

Be careful with F or C. One will have your chips sitting in a pile in the bottom of the oven.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:23:45 PM

Be careful with F or C. One will have your chips sitting in a pile in the bottom of the oven.

Pretty sure thats in F. But i'd still like more information on this. I'm not going to slap my S5 blade in an oven because someone told me to before properly understanding the risk even though i understand the concept.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:41:43 PM

Pretty sure thats in F. But i'd still like more information on this. I'm not going to slap my S5 blade in an oven because someone told me to before properly understanding the risk even though i understand the concept.

Yep. Solder melts at 180-190C.

What you're doing here is if there are any stress-fractures in the solder which are causing issues, you are hoping the solder will melt just a little and reform a good joint. It's not a great way to do it but it's cheap.

Personally I would first inspect all solder joints with a magnifying glass. These joints can sometimes be seen. Additionally, it looks like most of the joints are accessible so you possibly could attempt this with just a soldering iron.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical given that the chips are reporting good but I don't know enough to speak with confidence and someone else is reporting that the reflow worked for him. If nothing else seems to help though...

Edit: Just went back and saw it reported --- when run in tandem so I'm no longer very skeptical.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:44:27 PM

What you're doing here is if there are any stress-fractures in the solder which are causing issues, you are hoping the solder will melt just a little and reform a good joint. It's not a great way to do it but it's cheap.

Personally I would first inspect all solder joints with a magnifying glass. These joints can sometimes be seen. Additionally, it looks like most of the joints are accessible so you possibly could attempt this with just a soldering iron.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical given that the chips are reporting good but I don't know enough to speak with confidence and someone else is reporting that the reflow worked for him. If nothing else seems to help though...

Edit: Just went back and saw it reported --- when run in tandem so I'm no longer very skeptical.

I see, i'm not very knowledgeable with circuits but i do have the tools for this, could you tell me more about what to look for? I can tell what a capacitor is because its a cylinder, but you know thats pretty much it. Tongue

I could make do with an example however.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:59:07 PM

here is more on it

how to

I really did not expect this as a troubleshoot. I'd be inclined to try it, reviving it is probably worth more than anything i can get for it. And hopefully this won't damage the chips?

I do have a mini oven but i'm not sure i can trust the meter. If i do it in my main oven and slap a fan in it for a day or two to air it up, would it be fine?

Also the link http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/ is dead to me, does someone else has a trustable guide for doing this?

you can do it in your oven i wouldn't because of what might comes off the board and can mix in food . I know a few have and said they clean it out good , im just being safe . there are guides all over the webb  for doing it  they all say about the same thing, or you can use a heat gun but be care full using one of those it takes some skill to balance the heat with a heat gun which does the same thing .

type in some thing like re baking my amd card , cooking  my video card or using a Reflow oven there is actually some really nice guides that take you thu a a step step process for  making your own oven. that can cost any were form 100 to a 1000 or more if you  bought off a company .

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:01:45 PM

here is more on it

how to

you can do it in your oven i wouldn't because of what might comes off the board and can mix in food . I know a few have and said they clean it out good , im just being safe . there are guides all over the webb  for doing it  they all say about the same thing, or you can use a heat gun but be care full using one of those it takes some skill to balance the heat with a heat gun which does the same thing .

I,d do it with the oven, just wondering if someone actually did it with a antminer blade. I can put it on alluminium or something. And wouldnt the cheap plastic plug pci-e melt at 180c?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:05:22 PM

I see, i'm not very knowledgeable with circuits but i do have the tools for this, could you tell me more about what to look for? I can tell what a capacitor is because its a cylinder, but you know thats pretty much it. Tongue

Capacitors often look just like resistors with SMT (small rectangular blocks). If you google "solder dry joint" you'll get an idea of what you might be looking for. All the parts on the board should be designed to withstand that temperature (though there may be labels etc added after the board was assembled)

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:07:45 PM

here is more on it

how to

I,d do it with the oven, just wondering if someone actually did it with a antminer blade. I can put it on alluminium or something. And wouldnt the cheap plastic plug pci-e melt at 180c?

I did it with one antminer S5 blade and it worked and got it off some one else on the forums that posted a how to with a heat gun  . it wont melt as long you don't over 400 or leave in the oven past 10 mins i think it is or use tin foil on the parts you don't want to much heat on or use some kind of heat tape on those parts i forget what it's called. but you don't want to stick it in while it is preheating bad idea trust me on that one I learned the hard way things will melt preheat it first. btw that's how most boards are mass soldiered in a reflow oven pretty much the same way .

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:10:03 PM

Capacitors often look just like resistors with SMT (small rectangular blocks). If you google "solder dry joint" you'll get an idea of what you might be looking for. All the parts on the board should be designed to withstand that temperature (though there may be labels etc added after the board was assembled)

Oh okay, i was expecting some sort of hub of connections. Thats just actually what a soldered point is called. Gotcha xD

Okay i'll start with that. But should i remove the heatsink and look behind? Or should i just leave it there since i don't have any new paste to put on it afterward?

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,

here is more on it

how to

you can do it in your oven i wouldn't because of what might comes off the board and can mix in food . I know a few have and said they clean it out good , im just being safe . there are guides all over the webb  for doing it  they all say about the same thing, or you can use a heat gun but be care full using one of those it takes some skill to balance the heat with a heat gun which does the same thing .

I did it with one antminer S5 blade and it worked and got it off some one else on the forums that posted a how to with a heat gun  .

I see, yeah i would do it in the oven. Did you leave the heatsink on ?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:15:02 PM

Oh okay, i was expecting some sort of hub of connections. Thats just actually what a soldered point is called. Gotcha xD

Okay i'll start with that. But should i remove the heatsink and look behind? Or should i just leave it there since i don't have any new paste to put on it afterward?

here is more on it

how to

I did it with one antminer S5 blade and it worked and got it off some one else on the forums that posted a how to with a heat gun  .

take off any thing you can remove first. labels any lose thing that comes off don't force off anything you normally wouldn't take off.   and only do this as a last resort as all the guides on the web tell you what have you got lose it wont make it any worse it's not working to start with Smiley .

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:17:24 PM

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,

here is more on it

how to

you can do it in your oven i wouldn't because of what might comes off the board and can mix in food . I know a few have and said they clean it out good , im just being safe . there are guides all over the webb  for doing it  they all say about the same thing, or you can use a heat gun but be care full using one of those it takes some skill to balance the heat with a heat gun which does the same thing .

I did it with one antminer S5 blade and it worked and got it off some one else on the forums that posted a how to with a heat gun  .

take off any thing you can remove first.

If i do that, wont the thermal paste liquify and drop off, and then i'll need to repaste the heatsink, meaning i can't do this until i get some paste?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:23:08 PM

I've had success in the past with a bit of flux and some copper solder wick to clean up botched solder on ICs. You'll need the right flat tip and an iron with adjustable temp, don't attempt this with a dollar store soldering iron. If there's insufficient solder on the IC then just glob it on and wick it off, add flux if it starts to clump. The solder should be shiny, covering the leads in a super thin layer. You shouldn't see any bulk at all. Use a moist sponge to clean the iron tip constantly.

Hope this is helpful.

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:23:19 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 07:44:06 PM by toptek

here is more on it

how to

I did it with one antminer S5 blade and it worked and got it off some one else on the forums that posted a how to with a heat gun  .

take off any thing you can remove first.

If i do that, wont the thermal paste liquify and drop off, and then i'll need to repaste the heatsink, meaning i can't do this until i get some paste?

take that off, clean it up good to be safe, i never tried with paste on it made sense to me not to . there is other stuff you can on it  that might help like flux etc but no paste .yea repaste it all ways.

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:30:51 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 07:41:37 PM by toptek

don't forget thu this is a resort thing it may not work and may work when done right .

if it works, your S5, is back to life if it doesn't you gave it a good one . Smiley.

try not exceed 15 mins at 350 or lower , leave it in the oven after it's done  with the door open, let it air cool .above all PREHEAT THE OVEN FIRST DON"T MAKE MY MISTAKE AND HAVE STUFF MELT by sticking it in the oven while it preheats it's not a real reflow oven were you can do that.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:42:09 PM

I've had success in the past with a bit of flux and some copper solder wick to clean up botched solder on ICs. You'll need the right flat tip and an iron with adjustable temp, don't attempt this with a dollar store soldering iron. If there's insufficient solder on the IC then just glob it on and wick it off, add flux if it starts to clump. The solder should be shiny, covering the leads in a super thin layer. You shouldn't see any bulk at all. Use a moist sponge to clean the iron tip constantly.

Hope this is helpful.

I have this iron;
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003X5PENW/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

And this desoldering braid;
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00424S2C8/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1

I never heard of that flux thing, so i'll probably have to google it but in any case i don't have it on hand.
don't forget thu this is a resort thing it may not work and may work when done right .

if it works, your S5, is back to life if it doesn't you gave it a good one . Smiley.

try not exceed 15 mins at 350 or lower , leave it in the oven after it's done  with the door open, let it air cool .above all PREHEAT THE OVEN FIRST DON"T MAKE MY MISTAKE AND HAVE STUFF MELT it s not a real reflow oven were you can do that.

Okay so i can't do this without having thermal paste to repaste it afterwards i'll do a research on how much paste i'm going to need.

And one time you said 10 mins, one time 15 mins and someone else said 5 minutes. How long should i really leave it in the oven?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:49:39 PM

That's max sorry 5 to 10 mins is best but try not to go over 15 per try  mybad .

Okay thank you very much for all the information. I'm still itching to try it with the heatsink on. So if you or anyone else has more information on this, for or against, i'm all ears.

I kind of feel like i don't want to spend money on getting more stuff than i already have on hand since i have no guarantee that this will allow the board to function. Hence, kind of wasted money.

In the other hand, if i remove the heatsink and bake the PCB. I can probably run it without thermal paste real quick to see if it works? And then if it work it would be worth buying all that thermal paste that i otherwise have no use for.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: