Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 02:16:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 12:46:40 PM

I have still only seen PLAIN TEXT private keys. Can someone work on an AES encrypted solution? One that is not in PLAIN SIGHT?

I am not a designer or I would take a stab at it.

GREAT WORK SO FAR PEOPLE!!!
That's a programming issue for the guy doing the printing program based on these designs. Why bother the designers here.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 12:55:44 PM

The watermark is supposed to be the spot where to fold the bill to hide the private key.
It has one of Satoshi's equations in there. The probability of an attacker to succeed in double spending the coins by releasing a longer chain, or something like that. It's in the whitepaper.
The world map, because it's the first trully global currency.

Anything that needs to be changed?

This is my favorite!
No face. Looks good greyscale.

I would add the usability labels to the QR codes but still keep the labels you have.

How would it look with bitcoin.org in white font where the solid black line is at the bottom.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:08:44 PM

The watermark is supposed to be the spot where to fold the bill to hide the private key.
It has one of Satoshi's equations in there. The probability of an attacker to succeed in double spending the coins by releasing a longer chain, or something like that. It's in the whitepaper.
The world map, because it's the first trully global currency.

Anything that needs to be changed?

This is my favorite!
No face. Looks good greyscale.

I would add the usability labels to the QR codes but still keep the labels you have.

How would it look with bitcoin.org in white font where the solid black line is at the bottom.

Will come up with some new versions using the suggestions given by the end of the day. Also some colored examples as they are very easy to do. The greyscale was used because it's easy to go from greyscale to colored, but the opposite may not be so easy while keeping legibility.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:10:01 PM

I have still only seen PLAIN TEXT private keys. Can someone work on an AES encrypted solution? One that is not in PLAIN SIGHT?

That's a programming issue for the guy doing the printing program based on these designs. Why bother the designers here.

Well can we get some placeholders? It is easy. Here is an example of an AES encrypted private key.

Public Key
1QJow1aDX17EDWS5WKDzCdtQXxPkPatKTs

Private Key
5JM8AjZ9AtaHaPcbmTEYQVkjkDn89Vmz6u7Vi8D5Thi1Rxf6uwK

Private Key AES 128 bit using Pass Phrase "Marry Had A Little Lamb"
U2FsdGVkX18R7NzIXKPOUMayZy2tM6Vx39Tr8EXcL6HwSy9YYthOwam01wPxAV2j
lmnPgtpRUD18I52ETJElsUgA1U+tgoyNhaiBQqKJuSI=

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
unclemantis

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:12:14 PM

Well can we get some placeholders? It is easy. Here is an example of an AES encrypted private key.

Public Key
1QJow1aDX17EDWS5WKDzCdtQXxPkPatKTs

Private Key
5JM8AjZ9AtaHaPcbmTEYQVkjkDn89Vmz6u7Vi8D5Thi1Rxf6uwK

Private Key AES 128 bit using Pass Phrase "Marry Had A Little Lamb"
U2FsdGVkX18R7NzIXKPOUMayZy2tM6Vx39Tr8EXcL6HwSy9YYthOwam01wPxAV2j
lmnPgtpRUD18I52ETJElsUgA1U+tgoyNhaiBQqKJuSI=

I don't think kaywa.com gave me the correct codes but you get the idea

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:35:17 PM

Great idea about the encrypted code.. maybe have the encrypted code on one side and the 'pass phrase' on the back in tiny letters or something.

If someone can think of an even better solution that would be excellent.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:38:33 PM

Great idea about the encrypted code.. maybe have the encrypted code on one side and the 'pass phrase' on the back in tiny letters or something.

That's a programming feature. Not sure why it is being brought up on a design thread or why any design needs to get an encrypted privkey placeholder.

This is what I call putting the cart on front of the donkey.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:39:31 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of the 100 dollar bill ripped in half. Person gives you half a 100 dollar bill to go run an errand. When you get to the destination the other half of the bill is there.

What I figure is these bills can be used as a form of ESCROW. The bill with the encrypted private key and public key is on it. Person can see if it is funded using public key.

Merchandise or service is rendered. At either the time the service is complete or while the bill is being handed over, ANOTHER bill with a pass phrase on it or spoken to you or emailed or txt so that you can decrypt and redeam it.

Caucasus Mike! Thoughts!?

unclemantis

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:40:51 PM

That's a programming feature. Not sure why it is being brought up on a design thread or why any design needs to get an encrypted privkey placeholder.

Because it would need to be worked into the overall DESIGN of the bill. Also Mike hasn't chimed in regarding this so until he does I still think this is a valid topic.

I do apologize if you think that I am trolling. Sorry. This is not my intention.

db

Activity: 279
Merit: 261

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:56:39 PM

I made a wallet to paper note converter some time ago. It generates vector graphics.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 02:27:01 PM

Because it would need to be worked into the overall DESIGN of the bill. Also Mike hasn't chimed in regarding this so until he does I still think this is a valid topic.

I do apologize if you think that I am trolling. Sorry. This is not my intention.

Why would it need to be worked into the overall design of the bill? I'm not understanding.
A Qr-code and a string of letters and numbers are a Qr-Code and a string of letters and numbers, wether it is encrypted or not. A programming feature, not a design one, like I said.
Would it confuse you less if everyone just posted blank squares instead of Qr-codes and blank placeholders for pub and priv keys?

And I don't think you're trolling. I just think you are confusing programming with artwork design and bringing it needlessly to this thread.

Now, here is a new colored version without the tilted B's.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 02:38:14 PM

I am seeing a lot of excellent stuff here.

I would like to ask you guys publish your submissions.  Because the purpose of this project is for the ultimate good of the Bitcoin community, I would like to see these cook up a bit longer and then I will start the discussion of how to piece up this reward.

By publishing, I mean put the original, layered artwork (file formats such as PSD, AI, SVG, etc... vectors are king where applicable, remember that banknotes are traditionally high-resolution pieces) somewhere where the public can download it, preferably long term (i.e. a link that isn't going to expire in 7 days).  My "definition of done" for reward eligibility requires publication - if it's just a 72dpi jpeg on an image host, it's a nice idea but it's not done.

I would also like to ENCOURAGE the copying of design elements identified as being good.  I plan on giving credit both for coming up with good design, as well as incorporating the good designs of others.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 02:41:10 PM

All the designs I'm publishing have 300dpi PSD files with most of the layers being vectors in .ai format.

One problem I've encountered: The Qr-codes given by bitaddress.org are 72dpi only so that brings issues with size when used on 300dpi. So I think the first step is to get a bitaddress generator that gives out 300dpi Qr-Codes Wink
take5

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 02:50:03 PM

What about other geometric figures that have significance to bitcoin, besides elliptic curves? Are there any? Maybe in the future someone could write a script that could create unique images from the current blockchain.

Psy, what about this? Although a dedicated address generator would be nice. http://www.racoindustries.com/barcodegenerator/2d/qr-code.aspx

unclemantis

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 02:51:44 PM

I am seeing a lot of excellent stuff here.

I would like to ask you guys publish your submissions.  Because the purpose of this project is for the ultimate good of the Bitcoin community, I would like to see these cook up a bit longer and then I will start the discussion of how to piece up this reward.

By publishing, I mean put the original, layered artwork (file formats such as PSD, AI, SVG, etc... vectors are king where applicable, remember that banknotes are traditionally high-resolution pieces) somewhere where the public can download it, preferably long term (i.e. a link that isn't going to expire in 7 days).  My "definition of done" for reward eligibility requires publication - if it's just a 72dpi jpeg on an image host, it's a nice idea but it's not done.

I would also like to ENCOURAGE the copying of design elements identified as being good.  I plan on giving credit both for coming up with good design, as well as incorporating the good designs of others.

Any rewards for engineering and programming suggestions? Tongue

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 02:52:49 PM

Are there any QR code generators that produce a vector output?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
unclemantis

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 03:07:29 PM

IMHO since qr-codes are BLOCKS anyways the need for a vector is really not needed. I believe Mike is going to be using the QR-Code generator that bitaddress.org currently uses.

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 03:10:58 PM

Now, here is a new colored version without the tilted B's.

Nice!  I like it!

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 03:17:51 PM

http://blog.qr4.nl/QR-Code-Mecard.aspx

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 03:20:41 PM

http://blog.qr4.nl/QR-Code-Mecard.aspx

Source code? Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: