Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:01:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 03:21:55 PM

Are there any QR code generators that produce a vector output?

http://blog.qr4.nl/QR-Code-Mecard.aspx

This is the one you need
http://blog.qr4.nl/QR-Code-Text.aspx

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unclemantis

Activity: 98

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 03:23:11 PM

And we need to find a QR-Code generator that produces HIGH ERROR CORRECTION. Remember this is going on paper and the code WILL get damaged.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 03:25:55 PM

And we need to find a QR-Code generator that produces HIGH ERROR CORRECTION. Remember this is going on paper and the code WILL get damaged.

And that qr4.nl site is of no use. To output a qr-code in vector format one needs to be a member and membership is paid at the price of €1 for each qr-code in vector format.
yeah... right... Roll Eyes
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 04:04:26 PM

Are there any QR code generators that produce a vector output?

The final artwork doesn't need to include a vector sample QR code.  It can and should contain a sample to produce your mockups, but when combined with the actual generator it will be removed and replaced with the generated one, so it doesn't matter if this part is vector or raster.

Whether or not it's high error correction doesn't really matter either - this will be controlled by the code that is merged with the artwork.  All QR code generators can generally produce high error correction, as the desired error correction level is just a setting that is selected when the code is generated.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 04:18:01 PM

Any rewards for engineering and programming suggestions? Tongue

I would be willing to offer a further reward if someone wants to take the reins and start modifying a copy of Bitaddress.org to start incorporating some of this artwork, using the following guidelines:

• Modify Bitaddress.org as little as possible - preferably add a single line somewhere that includes a single .js and/or .css file so that Bitaddress.org's code can be audited separately from code that adds the artwork to it.  Use the referenced file(s) to make all the changes.
  • The modifications you make don't necessarily have to support EVERY one of these suggestions - in fact, a modification that supports even ANY ONE of these suggestions could be easily modified to support another - so pick one of your choice and run with it.
  • Your modification should allow the user to choose from NON-DENOMINATED bills, or to enter a specific denomination of their choice.  This should be implemented by having the bill artwork itself not contain the denomination - rather, the resulting code should superimpose the denomination into the correct spot onto the bill.  An example of a way to make this work is to add something into .js that modifies the DOM that was begun by bitaddress.org to include an extra text input field where the denomination can be typed.
  • Ideally, it should be possible for the user (or website operator) to substitute raster elements of the bill simply by swapping out a file that contains just that.  For example, whenever a bill is composed of a vector artwork with a raster (e.g. JPEG) background, the background ought to be a separate file (e.g. background.jpeg) while the vector portion be separate (e.g. artwork.svg) with transparency wherever the background should show.  The bill generator should superimpose the vector part over the raster part.  This, however, is not an absolute requirement, and won't apply to bills generated completely out of vector-based content - it is just something to keep in mind while designing this that will make a lot of non-techie users very happy.  An example of another thing that might lend well to substitution and should likewise be put in a separate file is a portrait (e.g. Leonardo da Vinci as a .png file with an alpha channel)
  • Last but not least, do not add any dependencies on third party stuff (jquery etc.)... this is important for auditability of the code.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 04:24:05 PM

I think it should output the bit bills in pdf format, even for paper saving. 3 or 4 notes on each page would be ideal.

Also, won't it be a problem to have text sideways, like the one I included on my samples to show the address and private key?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 04:33:58 PM

I think it should output the bit bills in pdf format, even for paper saving. 3 or 4 notes on each page would be ideal.

This won't be within the scope of the modifications I'm soliciting to Bitaddress.org - such PDF code would have to be auditable.  It would be much more sane to install a printer-to-PDF program assuming your browser/OS combination doesn't have that ability built-in.

Also, won't it be a problem to have text sideways, like the one I included on my samples to show the address and private key?

Sideways auto-generated text may be problematic as generating it in a browser-independent fashion might be difficult.  Someone with more browser programming experience may be better suited to speak to this.  It may be possible to render the sideways text by embedding SVG directly into the DOM and manipulating it at runtime, but that's only a high-level hunch.

Sekioh

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 04:59:51 PM

Right, to generate pdf code and trigger a download the information would have to be passed to a backend server code (cgi/perl/php) which means it's now serverside and vulnerable to sniffing or capture. Which for a nondenominated page-printing site is perfectly fine to print out bills with blank white spots for qr and such, but with private and public keys, I can see why it's got to be native javascript, html, and styling. Means it can all be bundled up and saved offline or done without any worry of leaking your keys out.

As to design, I'd like to point out more of a credit card sized option would be good for notes, we don't need much space, and people are used to that size, pockets in wallets can be used to keep seperate from regular cash or needing to fold them, and also we don't want to press any more reason to have it imitating a 'real currency' as competition even in looks. The aspect ratio would leave room for QR fine at reasonable size for short distance reads, and font size isn't an issue for that size considering length of names and card numbers on the real regular cards already.

As far as sideways text goes, you're already using canvas which is a newer element anyway, I don't know how backward compatible the site is as it stands, with that modern level of tagging and functions you should have a few options to work with for rotating a canvas svg of text, or simply using some CSS3 with directional text alignment tags.

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 05:04:12 PM

svg xml code to create sideway text that can be created dynamicaly with javascript(?), thus easily auditable and can be saved for offline use(?).

Code:
  <text
     x="-342.69812"
     y="196.88989"
     id="maintext"
     xml:space="preserve"
     style="font-size:7.98474503000000002px;font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;line-height:125%;letter-spacing:0px;word-spacing:0px;fill:#000000;fill-opacity:1;stroke:none;-inkscape-font-specification:Ubuntu Bold;font-family:Ubuntu;font-stretch:normal;font-variant:normal"
     sodipodi:linespacing="125%"
     transform="matrix(0,-0.95570692,1.0463459,0,0,0)"><tspan
       x="-342.69812"
       y="196.88989"
       id="tspan3006"
       style="fill:#000000;font-weight:bold;-inkscape-font-specification:Ubuntu Bold;font-family:Ubuntu;font-style:normal;font-stretch:normal;font-variant:normal">5Hw7XgVq8nWhLGpLL88C6jHenNXQYgFhWf5n48ATEq39Ppjg6CB</tspan></text>

Now i don't know if you'll be using js to create the svg and I really have no idea because I'm not a programmer. Just looked inside an svg with a text editor and grab the code.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 05:17:20 PM

svg xml code to create sideway text that can be created dynamicaly with javascript(?), thus easily auditable and can be saved for offline use(?).

Now i don't know if you'll be using js to create the svg and I really have no idea because I'm not a programmer. Just looked inside an svg with a text editor and grab the code.

This would be completely acceptable and even desirable.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 05:21:14 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2012, 06:02:03 PM by paraipan

Any rewards for engineering and programming suggestions? Tongue

I would be willing to offer a further reward if someone wants to take the reins and start modifying a copy of Bitaddress.org to start incorporating some of this artwork, using the following guidelines:

• Modify Bitaddress.org as little as possible - preferably add a single line somewhere that includes a single .js and/or .css file so that Bitaddress.org's code can be audited separately from code that adds the artwork to it.  Use the referenced file(s) to make all the changes.
  • The modifications you make don't necessarily have to support EVERY one of these suggestions - in fact, a modification that supports even ANY ONE of these suggestions could be easily modified to support another - so pick one of your choice and run with it.
  • Your modification should allow the user to choose from NON-DENOMINATED bills, or to enter a specific denomination of their choice.  This should be implemented by having the bill artwork itself not contain the denomination - rather, the resulting code should superimpose the denomination into the correct spot onto the bill.  An example of a way to make this work is to add something into .js that modifies the DOM that was begun by bitaddress.org to include an extra text input field where the denomination can be typed.
  • Ideally, it should be possible for the user (or website operator) to substitute raster elements of the bill simply by swapping out a file that contains just that.  For example, whenever a bill is composed of a vector artwork with a raster (e.g. JPEG) background, the background ought to be a separate file (e.g. background.jpeg) while the vector portion be separate (e.g. artwork.svg) with transparency wherever the background should show.  The bill generator should superimpose the vector part over the raster part.  This, however, is not an absolute requirement, and won't apply to bills generated completely out of vector-based content - it is just something to keep in mind while designing this that will make a lot of non-techie users very happy.  An example of another thing that might lend well to substitution and should likewise be put in a separate file is a portrait (e.g. Leonardo da Vinci as a .png file with an alpha channel)
  • Last but not least, do not add any dependencies on third party stuff (jquery etc.)... this is important for auditability of the code.

I would love to have that little script working like you described Cas, I actually saved the existent one on my desktop and use it occasionally.

How about making a new bounty on Rugatu? I will contribute some coins too

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 05:55:17 PM

Now, here is a new colored version without the tilted B's.

Also great.

Just tell the crazies that the number shown is in fact already encrypted *wink* and hence incorporated into the design.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 06:08:41 PM

New version. As always I'm open to suggestions. Don't be afraid to criticise.

The privkey Qr-code was switched to the middle or else it will be seen trough the paper when folding the note to hide it. It shows backwards and one could always hide it with the thumb, but if it's in the middle, like it is, that won't be needed.

teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 06:09:35 PM

Now, here is a new colored version without the tilted B's.

Also great.

Just tell the crazies that the number shown is in fact already encrypted *wink* and hence incorporated into the design.

Love this one...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 06:10:00 PM

New version. As always I'm open to suggestions. Don't be afraid to criticise.

The privkey Qr-code was switched to the middle or else it will be seen trough the paper when folding the note to hide it. It shows backwards and one could always hide it with the thumb, but if it's in the middle, like it is, that won't be needed.

Ooops..  this one is even better Tongue

Folding puts the private key in trouble... the crease will be an issue no ?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 06:28:47 PM

As to design, I'd like to point out more of a credit card sized option would be good for notes, we don't need much space, and people are used to that size, pockets in wallets can be used to keep seperate from regular cash or needing to fold them, and also we don't want to press any more reason to have it imitating a 'real currency' as competition even in looks.

How about it being "dollar" sized when freshly minted, but "credit card" sized when private key QR code is folded over?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 06:30:24 PM

Agree, codes should be on opposite sides both for foldability and to avoid unknowingly scanning the wrong one.

bpd

Activity: 114

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 06:50:30 PM

These are looking really cool! I love the wisdom of the crowd :-)

One suggestion -- make the private key QR code smaller, and don't include the full text of the private key (maybe just first 12 letters or something).

It would be ideal if the private key QR were made in a standard size that could be easily covered by a cheap standard holographic sticker like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Serial-Evident-Hologram-Stickers/dp/B0051CORIS/ref=pd_sbs_op_1
punningclan

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 06:58:42 PM

Wow, guys! This is coming along rather nicely. I really like the above image, but not at all fond of the plain looking orange/slanted-B in the the corners. I do feeling it needs an orange shade Bitcoin logo of sorts, but not this one.

~Bruno~

This ones looking rather nice.

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 07:03:25 PM

I'm really liking the recent designs here. If I ever get a chance to break away from what I'm working on and be creative, I'd love to throw one into fray.

Good job guys, love the collaboration.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: