Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:12:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 06:54:19 PM

Adobe software has a downloadable 7 day free trial mode FWIW

There is a Photoshop CS5 for Linux?  Huh

Not to my knowledge, just Mac and Windows, but if it's to host a throwaway trial, there should have no problem with a throwaway copy of Windows 7 in a VM?  (it runs for 30 days without a serial number as well).  The only pain being the time it takes to install it, but installing from ISO files on a hard drive tends to go pretty fast in my experience.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:00:05 PM

Adobe software has a downloadable 7 day free trial mode FWIW

There is a Photoshop CS5 for Linux?  Huh

Not to my knowledge, just Mac and Windows, but if it's to host a throwaway trial, there should have no problem with a throwaway copy of Windows 7 in a VM?  (it runs for 30 days without a serial number as well).  The only pain being the time it takes to install it, but installing from ISO files on a hard drive tends to go pretty fast in my experience.

Installing a VM is not the problem. Running a win7 VM with enough RAM for Photoshop and deal with high res files on a Dual-Core 2.4Ghz with 4GB RAM would be the main problem.
Better wait till sunday, when she gets back. Wink
rxw

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:05:28 PM

Mike I was wondering if you had any thoughts on my latest revision?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 07:48:28 PM

It is a start but not very competitive as compared to the currently nominated candidates and still spends a lot of ink on turning white paper red (and grey) without much dazzle to show for it.  I think like others are saying, it's a start, but would need much more work to be a serious contender.

Even Psy's note contains a lot of yellow in its background, but once converted to vector, if the yellow background were to be dropped out, the substance of the work is still there.  On yours, if the red gradient were dropped out, very little is left.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 08:07:01 PM

It is a start but not very competitive as compared to the currently nominated candidates and still spends a lot of ink on turning white paper red (and grey) without much dazzle to show for it.  I think like others are saying, it's a start, but would need much more work to be a serious contender.

Even Psy's note contains a lot of yellow in its background, but once converted to vector, if the yellow background were to be dropped out, the substance of the work is still there.  On yours, if the red gradient were dropped out, very little is left.

I say scrap it and try a different attack all together.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
rxw

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 09:21:08 PM

It is a start but not very competitive as compared to the currently nominated candidates and still spends a lot of ink on turning white paper red (and grey) without much dazzle to show for it.  I think like others are saying, it's a start, but would need much more work to be a serious contender.

Even Psy's note contains a lot of yellow in its background, but once converted to vector, if the yellow background were to be dropped out, the substance of the work is still there.  On yours, if the red gradient were dropped out, very little is left.

I assure you your concerns regarding ink usage are unfounded. Here is a detailed analysis showing my image to be the one that uses the least amount of ink compared to all the currently qualified candidates. REPORT HERE: https://i.imgur.com/BjJs0.jpg

Despite this, I have also developed an "Ink Conservative" alternative version of my note, displayed below. While obviously I prefer my colored version, this may be valuable to those working on a limited budget.

https://i.imgur.com/qLCeG.jpg

PS unclemantis, I have heard and value your opinion, thank you.

Still looking for constructive criticism

Cheers,
rxw
ildubbioso

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 09:26:05 PM

But how it works? If I want to write the amount or to put my QR code I have to edit the PSD file? It doesn't seem easy for everybody.
rxw

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 09:35:13 PM

But how it works? If I want to write the amount or to put my QR code I have to edit the PSD file? It doesn't seem easy for everybody.

The easiest way would be to write in after you print it, like a check, or candidates 2, 3, or 4 for the contest. That's what I had originally intended, but if you want I can create a psd file for you that would have an amount you could edit before printing

EDIT: Oh, the QR code part, unless I'm mistaken, will be part of the solution provided by bitaddress.org- if they don't choose my design, then you can edit one of the PSD files I have provided at http://dropcanvas.com/jfp75
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 09:38:28 PM

I assure you your concerns regarding ink usage are unfounded.

This statement is false by definition:  The definition of what is a concern for the purpose of my reward/bounty/contest is purely my choice, which may or may not be arbitrary.  I am the judge, jury, and executioner in that respect.

But just to be clear, my concern was less "this uses too much ink", but rather that the ink cost doesn't add an offsetting artistic value.  The choice that uses the most ink happens to spend that ink on a fractal-based image, which has a high level of visual appeal, invokes the semblance of visual features present in cash, and has good relevance to the discipline of mathematics being referenced here.  I am not asking how many pixels are white, I am asking if the person who prints the note is going to get a good return on his ink investment, as measured in visual appeal.

That said, if you, for example, altered the curves behind Alan Turing's head and changed them to something that uses the ECDSA curve as a theme (discussed and illustrated earlier in the thread - it is a curve with points labeled P and a Q) the appeal will jump up quite a bit.  And there IS a very real demand for an artistic banknote that uses the least possible ink - and you're doing fairly well in that respect with your most recent submission.  If it were feasible, I'd much like a portrait of Turing made out of line art (sort of what's on submission #1), rather than a greyscale photograph.

If you're going to use Alan Turing, I would also add "(1912-1954)" to make clear we are honoring a dead pioneer of some sort, rather than what some might think is the "president" of the "Bitcoin corporation".

unclemantis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:14:17 PM

I assure you your concerns regarding ink usage are unfounded.

This statement is false by definition:  The definition of what is a concern for the purpose of my reward/bounty/contest is purely my choice, which may or may not be arbitrary.  I am the judge, jury, and executioner in that respect.

But just to be clear, my concern was less "this uses too much ink", but rather that the ink cost doesn't add an offsetting artistic value.  The choice that uses the most ink happens to spend that ink on a fractal-based image, which has a high level of visual appeal, invokes the semblance of visual features present in cash, and has good relevance to the discipline of mathematics being referenced here.  I am not asking how many pixels are white, I am asking if the person who prints the note is going to get a good return on his ink investment, as measured in visual appeal.

That said, if you, for example, altered the curves behind Alan Turing's head and changed them to something that uses the ECDSA curve as a theme (discussed and illustrated earlier in the thread - it is a curve with points labeled P and a Q) the appeal will jump up quite a bit.  And there IS a very real demand for an artistic banknote that uses the least possible ink - and you're doing fairly well in that respect with your most recent submission.  If it were feasible, I'd much like a portrait of Turing made out of line art (sort of what's on submission #1), rather than a greyscale photograph.

If you're going to use Alan Turing, I would also add "(1912-1954)" to make clear we are honoring a dead pioneer of some sort, rather than what some might think is the "president" of the "Bitcoin corporation".

+1

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:22:37 PM

just info if someone need a banknote custom sizes for printing
size of a euro banknote
EUR 500. Color: Purple. Size: 160 x 82 x 0.12 mm
EUR 200. Color: Yellow-brown. Size: 153 x 82 x 0.12 mm
EUR 100. Color: Green. Size: 147 x 82 x 0.12 mm
EUR  50. Color: Orange. Size: 140 x 77 x 0.12 mm
EUR  20. Color: Blue. Size: 133 x 72 x 0.12 mm
EUR  10. Color: Red. Size: 127x 67 x 0.12 mm
EUR    5. Color: Grey. Size: 120x 62 x 0.12 mm

size of a dollar banknote
US Dollar Bill is 66.294 mm wide by 155.956 mm long.

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 12:47:59 AM

OK, this is the SVG I managed to create with what I got. Only the text is missing, not because I couldn't do it but because I figured some persons will wish to change it, so the graphics are enough.
Tell me what you think. Gfx is not my thing, so this was the best I could do with what I got. (GIMP/Inkscape)

http://clinicadosom.com/downloads/Bitcoin-note.svg_1.zip

It is also posted alongside the PSD @ http://ocantinhodadama.clinicadosom.com/2012/07/20/bitcoin-note-design-psd-file/

Donations to the designer can be sent to: 1EUbpbRV68Rap4JcQFkfxd2urgv9hLy2uu

Thank you.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 01:05:24 AM

OK, this is the SVG I managed to create with what I got. Only the text is missing, not because I couldn't do it but because I figured some persons will wish to change it, so the graphics are enough.
Tell me what you think. Gfx is not my thing, so this was the best I could do with what I got. (GIMP/Inkscape)

It is also posted alongside the PSD @ http://ocantinhodadama.clinicadosom.com/2012/07/20/bitcoin-note-design-psd-file/

Thank you.

psy you did a decent job on the SVG! Holy Crap!

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 01:36:21 AM

Thank you.

psy you did a decent job on the SVG! Holy Crap!

Not quite. But thanks.
The lines on the background are still a raster image and so is the equation.
I didn't figure how to paste an object into a layer on the svg, hence the fact that the SVG only has 1 layer with several objects, 2 of them raster images.

Guys, don't forget to show your love to DOCTOR_75R @ 1EUbpbRV68Rap4JcQFkfxd2urgv9hLy2uu
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 01:40:51 AM

It is a start but not very competitive as compared to the currently nominated candidates and still spends a lot of ink on turning white paper red (and grey) without much dazzle to show for it.  I think like others are saying, it's a start, but would need much more work to be a serious contender.

Even Psy's note contains a lot of yellow in its background, but once converted to vector, if the yellow background were to be dropped out, the substance of the work is still there.  On yours, if the red gradient were dropped out, very little is left.

I assure you your concerns regarding ink usage are unfounded. Here is a detailed analysis showing my image to be the one that uses the least amount of ink compared to all the currently qualified candidates. REPORT HERE: https://i.imgur.com/BjJs0.jpg

Despite this, I have also developed an "Ink Conservative" alternative version of my note, displayed below. While obviously I prefer my colored version, this may be valuable to those working on a limited budget.

Cheers,
rxw

I think if someone can make a web app that can take My own Atlas Face and  put it on that bill, we'd have something really cool here

web app makes a pdf. And sells it for 0.001BTC a page

0.1BTC for 100pages

4billsApage* 100pages *0.01BTC funding each

4.1BTC = 40.00$ worth with your face on it!

I would give it away to friends and family

Tongue

unclemantis

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 02:04:46 AM

Cheers,
rxw

I think if someone can make a web app that can take My own Atlas Face and  put it on that bill, we'd have something really cool here

web app makes a pdf. And sells it for 0.001BTC a page

0.1BTC for 100pages

4billsApage* 100pages *0.01BTC funding each

4.1BTC = 40.00$ worth with your face on it!

I would give it away to friends and family

Tongue

Hey Mike! People are talking about Server side stuff. I am still available if you want to branch off and create a separate product Smiley

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 02:42:08 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2012, 03:19:22 PM by paraipan

You can submit your design on our banknote contest and have the chance to win an extra 1.50 btc, or have it tipped by members who appreciate your work  Wink

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
on9isrock

Activity: 70
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 02:57:22 PM

my design is simple
copy an european note

my address :18TTx6qBr2LTiyRu6SuLDX1SFwDCQyeJRC
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 02:58:41 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2012, 04:59:27 PM by psy

SVG with text

If you're not seeing the image above you should update your browser. Wink

Direct link to download http://clinicadosom.com/downloads/Bitcoin-note-with-text-small.svg.zip

As usual, tips will be appreciated @ 1EUbpbRV68Rap4JcQFkfxd2urgv9hLy2uu

Cross-posted to http://www.rugatu.com/questions/1833/how-would-you-like-to-design-a-bitcoin-banknote/2095
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 03:41:54 PM

I still think the private key should be obscured or covered. Some tamper evident way. This way if the private key is exposed you know it could be worthless.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: