Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:04:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 05:20:42 PM

The thing I really like about this background, that I never really thought about until after I saw it, is the fact that color transitions are a common feature of cash, and this mimics that.  I realize that cash uses transitions of special ink colors as a security feature and this won't mimic the security aspect of it, this background nevertheless does a great job of invoking cash.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:21:37 PM

What about people with just black and white ink jet printers AND single color toner laser printers?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 05:22:21 PM

Yep, Leonardo Da Vinci. 

Here's an update with a little addition from Albert Einstein

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
unclemantis

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:25:37 PM

Yep, Leonardo Da Vinci. 

Here's an update with a little addition from Albert Einstein

Would be neat to have a different quote from a long list of quotations. Maybe perhaps a picture of a different famous person in science or math history that would randomly be printed.

Maybe start a collect-ability series? Funded note is worth more to a collector than a spent note?

This has potential!

Thoughts?

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
unclemantis

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:27:25 PM

Random color
Random quotation
Random picture
Initial seed value?

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:27:49 PM

What does the binary border say?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 05:29:11 PM

What does the binary border say?

nothing, I just typed random numbers.  But it would be easy to encode a binary message, great idea!!

unclemantis

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:29:39 PM

http://tech.karbassi.com/2008/01/15/futurama-benders-big-score-binary-joke/

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 05:40:07 PM

Would the private and public key need to be spelled out or are we just assuming that QR-Codes will be the norm.

The private and public key need to be human-readable.

The total size of the private and public key can be reduced by using the 30-char mini private key, which will cut 21 characters off versus using a full private key.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 05:50:43 PM

With QR and human readable codes.  the LOAD image includes the bitcoin: URI for all mobile wallets that support it.

ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:53:22 PM

With QR and human readable codes

[IMG:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52611567/btc-note5.png[/img]

I like this, but think it would look better with the corner logos squared off instead of tilted. Maybe even two diagonally opposing corners for the denomination.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:58:14 PM

I like the blue ones, they are neat. I think that they should all be like that, but the background fractal art should vary depending on blockcount at time of printing. (for extra coolness)

hi
artisbigshirts

Activity: 60

dwda

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 06:01:16 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2012, 06:22:51 PM by artisbigshirts

Here is my take on the BTC note:

With the key off and on the edge:

The central image would be customizable, and I would also add that maybe they should be able to choose from a variety of BTC symbols:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol

I will come up with something for myself for the central image shortly.

//Kevin Risinger;
//Graphic Design;
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30623.0

//Donation Address;
1GgFzhP2ef
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:03:34 PM

I think the keys (text and QR) should not be at the very edge. This is the most likley area to receive damage.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 06:16:29 PM

I think the keys (text and QR) should not be at the very edge. This is the most likley area to receive damage.

As long as the private key is either readable or scannable, everything else is redundant and recoverable.  This concern may be addressed just by making sure at least one of the copies of the private key doesn't involve the edge.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 06:39:43 PM

here's another option with a Fibonacci seashell background.  Mike am I getting closer?

and when printed in black-and-white only

unclemantis

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:48:08 PM

here's another option with a Fibonacci seashell background.  Mike am I getting closer?

Awesome! I'll take it!

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 06:58:19 PM

Awesome! I'll take it!

I like this design...Anyone know anything about archival quality printing? A laminated version of this on archival stock/ink would be cool.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:03:54 PM

here's another option with a Fibonacci seashell background.  Mike am I getting closer?

Yes on all counts.  I might have to end up declaring more than one winner - it is perfectly fine to have more than one "kind" of banknote (and as Bitcoin gets popular, they almost could be like collectible baseball or phone cards).

If I can make subjective suggestions for this one:

* The solid color B's and the border look ink-intensive. I think the BTC's would look better straight up and down, rather than tilting like the logo.  I am also not sure about the color orange if the background isn't orange as well.
* Da Vinci is cool, I would put his name on it.  The first impression of this portrait not knowing who he is is that this is Dungeons and Dragons money and that this guy is the wizard.
* This particular background image - is it available in high resolution?  If raster images are to be used, having very high resolution images is something I see as a must (mainly because cash features very high resolution features as well - the goal being use all the resolution a user's printer has to offer)
* I normally love rounded features, but on this note to me they invoke the idea of a gift certificate more so than a bank note.  I would suggest simple squares much like the blue banknote also being discussed in this thread.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:15:11 PM

Yes, the image is available in hi-res but I have to buy it.  This is just the free preview.

I thought of one more design criteria.

The design should, when folded in half, not place the QR or the plain text codes along the crease.  This would cause degradation of the information.

When folded in half, for carrying in a wallet, for example.

or, when folded in half long-ways, for sliding into a garter, for example.   Grin

With that in mind, here is version 7.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: