Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:29:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scam Warning: WoodCollector  (Read 29053 times)
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:38:04 AM

Basically this is a "White van speaker scam" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3B_KKyntQE about 1-2 minute or so he starts explaining it and it ends around the 8 minute mark

{ BitSpill }

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Paul Revere

Activity: 406
Merit: 260

The Scamcoats are coming!

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:39:51 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2015, 04:54:48 AM by Paul Revere

So how much is that $14,000 piece he sold really worth?

It is worth exactly what someone will pay for it. The issue being raised here is the claim that these pieces are insanely intricately hand carved pieces of art, which they are not. Cool? Yes. Neat laser engravings. Hand carved as claimed? NO.

Edit to add:

Turning some random shape on a lathe is not at all that hard, either. Making 4 legs for a table by hand on a lathe and having them all match exactly? That is a quite bit harder and takes some practice and skill.

Hi Paul, I'm wondering if you can overcome the skill needed using a duplicator?  WoodCollector talks a lot about lathes and mentions duplicators in his reddit profile: http://www.reddit.com/user/thewoodcollector

Most of the experience I have with wood turning is with duplicator lathes. I am talking about old school ones that follow a 2D (hardboard/lexan/aliminum) pattern. Even so, gauging by the turned items I have seen from WC thus far I would say that I have a lot more experience at hand turning than he does. The bongs do look fine, but they are just random shapes. Making a specific technical profile by hand is a whole different story, as you can see in the complete fail of the "pleasure rings" in the wooden dildo. It looks like something a kid would make real quick while the teacher wasn't looking, to be quite honest. I think I still have a little billy club of about that quality I made exactly that way when I was in middle school.  So, getting back to the specific question: No, a duplicator lathe would not help to make some random bong shape. It would however help to make 1,000 of them exactly the same profile. I do not see any indications of a duplicator setup on or ever being on that brand neww lathe of OC's, though.

All of my posts are simply statements of my own personal opinions based on available information and pondering what might be possible considering human nature, with the goal of finding truth and preventing fraud. Please look at all of the facts and theories and put your thinking cap on to draw your own conclusions. If you feel that I have made a false statement or have been unnecessarily derogatory, I encourage you to please point it out, and if proven correct and/or reasonable I will remedy it. ~ Paul Revere
Wardrick
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:40:24 AM

Basically this is a "White van speaker scam" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3B_KKyntQE about 1-2 minute or so he explains it

Or this guy, but this guy actually painted the paintings. - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/art-forger-wolfgang-beltracchis-multimillion-dollar-scam/
SellingHBOGo

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:46:43 AM

What's the big deal? He claimed to have hand carved the pieces but used a lathe instead? So what? They still look pretty damn fine to me

BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:48:24 AM

extremely rare exotic hardwood

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-EXOTIC-WOOD-PREMIUM-PEN-BLANKS-MIXED-VARIETY-COCOBOLO-PURPLE-HEART-TOP-QUALITY-/131019885688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8164cc78
Paul Revere

Activity: 406
Merit: 260

The Scamcoats are coming!

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:04:45 AM

What's the big deal? He claimed to have hand carved the pieces but used a lathe instead? So what? They still look pretty damn fine to me

Nobody gives a rats ass about the weak cub scout skill level bong and dildo turnings dude. He claimed to be hand carving the insanely intricate and precise laser engravings which are completely impossible to carve by hand. This is what he was charging crazy prices for, not the lame ass dildo and bong turnings. That is the "big deal".  Roll Eyes

All of my posts are simply statements of my own personal opinions based on available information and pondering what might be possible considering human nature, with the goal of finding truth and preventing fraud. Please look at all of the facts and theories and put your thinking cap on to draw your own conclusions. If you feel that I have made a false statement or have been unnecessarily derogatory, I encourage you to please point it out, and if proven correct and/or reasonable I will remedy it. ~ Paul Revere
TerraHasher

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:18:08 AM

@ Terrahasher: I really don't care what you want. I am afraid you will have to find another monkey to jump up and down for you. Uhm Kay?

P.S: All I am doing in this thread is pointing out that the claims by WoodColloector that his pieces are hand carved are not that at all. If you want to argue about that , by all means. Go right ahead. Hell, I think you should even pay exorbitant prices to buy some.

Have it your way, heres your thread, and rating has been left. Of course to be removed when you meet ALL of my demands.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=931472

Donations: 1A8anGihV3pvHeuhqzGsAjt2S71WY2qea4
Seketsuna

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:48:11 AM

LoL our local wood carver would even laugh at those half assed job. Oh i wonder if he even used his hands to carve something on those.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:33:45 AM

dude, wood collector,

oh well... not the end of the world man....you still
make nice stuff.... I know it's a tough pill to
swallow at this point, but i would respect you
if you had the courage to own up to the mistake.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:44:05 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2015, 07:56:59 AM by freedomno1

If he shows a video of him carving fine-serif text like this, with hand tools, start to finish, I'll eat my hat. Heck, I'll commission a piece myself.

I am not wasting any more of my time on this, when one of my clients wants something, a picture or video or something, message me. Continuing to argue with this guy is an exercise in futility.

I'll throw in a suggestion
I want nubbins to order a carving on a technical level he's happy with and woodcollector to make a video with pictures seems simple enough to settle, or a livestream with a set time so no one can complain about photoshop etc.  

Wow this certainly blew up...and to think...I came this close to buying a dildo from this guy  Grin
Totally worth it it's amusing either way so no complaints over here with the finished product
I forgot to get the certificate of authenticity printed and shipped in the mail though.

Dildo's mate and Bitcoin who wouldn't resist that temptation we all know one of these days we will all be fucked by Bitcoin he-he shoves the aforementioned dildo into the thread

If you have ever been F#CKED using BTCitcoin for something this would be a great way to memorialize that as well.

Escrow Accepted

Apologies my lighting sucks

I'll see if someone wants to buy it with all the free press and comments about it Tongue (Even with all the fun stuff going on in this thread it just seemed like the perfect place to place a dick XD) (mmm I'll need to redatestamp that later as well lol wonder if anyone will bite)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=931553.new#new

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:47:00 AM

nah dude...it's over.

was already caught red handed here.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=930649.msg10223134#msg10223134

obviously it's not all hand carved.  but just leave the guy alone...

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:51:55 AM

nah dude...it's over.

Interesting proof , I would like to see a video of WoodCollector that is carving something ( if it is possible, but I don't think it will be a problem if he is honest).
TerraHasher

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:59:43 AM

nah dude...it's over.

Interesting proof , I would like to see a video of WoodCollector that is carving something ( if it is possible, but I don't think it will be a problem if he is honest).

I dont think its going to be a problem, after 2 pages in on this thread i could see Nubbins and his sock puppets were just trying to ruin woodcollecters rep because he considers him a threat to his own business. Just as posted above, Someone already pointed out that Delivery man REQUESTED that lion head specifically because of its symmetry and WC did an awesome job of copying it. Knowing what i know there will be videos soon, someone is going to re-nig on eating his hat and shelling out for a piece of his own becasue he is a liar, he will use some excuse like "i still dont believe it" like his disbelife makes it not true. then start in from another angle.

I dont think WC is following this thread anymore, not sure if he is posting the video in his other thread or on message request only once he gets them done, but i know the videos are coming, and i also know that the troll patrol is still going to have some dumb shit to say.

Donations: 1A8anGihV3pvHeuhqzGsAjt2S71WY2qea4
ukcrypto

Activity: 149

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 07:57:06 AM

nah dude...it's over.

obviously it's not all hand carved.  but just leave the guy alone...

Did you not see that the owner of the piece sent Woodcollector that image to carve. HE sent it to woodcollector and requested he use that image!
ukcrypto

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 07:58:51 AM

nah dude...it's over.

I dont think its going to be a problem, after 2 pages in on this thread i could see Nubbins and his sock puppets were just trying to ruin woodcollecters rep because he considers him a threat to his own business. Just as posted above, Someone already pointed out that Delivery man REQUESTED that lion head specifically because of its symmetry and WC did an awesome job of copying it. Knowing what i know there will be videos soon, someone is going to re-nig on eating his hat and shelling out for a piece of his own becasue he is a liar, he will use some excuse like "i still dont believe it" like his disbelife makes it not true. then start in from another angle.

I dont think WC is following this thread anymore, not sure if he is posting the video in his other thread or on message request only once he gets them done, but i know the videos are coming, and i also know that the troll patrol is still going to have some dumb shit to say.

I also know the videos are coming - he said he will be sending a video to me of the second coin he is working on for me. I may decide to share it - or I may not, whatever the case Nobbins is a plank.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 09:31:10 AM

I'm appalled to see that some of you think WoodCollector's business practices are acceptable. For those that have bought his work already, he's not legit just because you like what you bought. That's besides the point. The fact is that he deliberately lied about the work being hand crafted when it's actually done by a machine. That's just downright dishonest.

If someone sells counterfeit gold/silver bullion and passes them off as the real thing, would you be ok with it? How about paying you with counterfeit cash? That's the same level of ethics here.

Let's be real here. There ain't no video coming out of him working on a piece. If a video does come out, it will show the work as subpar quality.

LazerViking

Activity: 261
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 09:47:24 AM

nah dude...it's over.

I also know the videos are coming - he said he will be sending a video to me of the second coin he is working on for me. I may decide to share it - or I may not, whatever the case Nobbins is a plank.

Why the hell wouldn't you want to share it and clear all this up?
ukcrypto

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 09:56:54 AM

nah dude...it's over.

Why the hell wouldn't you want to share it and clear all this up?

Because I am the one buying his works - if you want to see a video of his work being made, commission a piece and request that yourself as every other person who doubts him should.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 09:59:23 AM

Because I am the one buying his works - if you want to see a video of his work being made, commission a piece and request that yourself as every other person who doubts him should.

Yes of course , but in this case it is better to make a video and after maybe he will receive a lot of new buyers. I think with a valid vide( maybe with the hangout ) they can demonstrate that he doesn't use a laser....
nubbins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 10:28:56 AM

Stupidest thing I've heard in days, and I hang out on the bitcoin forum. Congratulations, a new level of idiocy. If someone shoved that dildo up your ass, you'd gush about how great it is at holding your shit in.

Ukcrypto (who has started harassing me in other threads) and terrahasher, both of you are cordially invited to jump off a cliff.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: