Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:29:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Videos of WoodCollector Hand Carving: Care of MOB  (Read 21470 times)
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 08:23:58 PM

He applied those router lines BY HAND. Not by laser, Not by CNC, but with a HAND ROUTER.

Huh Huh Huh Sounds like speculation rather than fact.

Shill or moron. Probably not a good idea to trust either way. Negative feedback left.
Actually no. That is experience with woodworking tools AS WELL as experience with laser engravers. I know for a fact he could have accomplished that exact effect with a hand guided router. You, however deny this possibility and claim it could ONLY have been created by a laser engraver or CNC. THAT is called speculation. The fact that you continue to insinuate he is just doing all of this as an elaborate ploy to deceive everyone here after he released the video of his HAND CARVING demonstrates very clearly your lack of a grasp on reality.

By the way Nubbins, if you think abusing your position on the default trust in an attempt to intimidate myself and others into silence will work, you are SORELY mistaken. You just turned what was just a discussion, into a personal vendetta with me now by abusing the trust system in an attempt to punish me for disagreeing with you in public. You have also done the same to MANY other users over this incident for doing nothing more than disagreeing with you and your mob action, as well as convinced others to do the same. You are going to need to use a telescope to see the sky from the depth of the hole you are digging for yourself.

The initial design itself was applied with a HAND GUIDED router.

Goodness gracious. Next you are telling me he traced those outer circles with micron level precision.
So he is supposed to carve perfect circles completely by hand now? Do you know anything about woodworking? You pin a board at the center of the piece and spin the router around it to make... you guessed it... a perfect circle... no lasers or CNC required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mJZ4vqPmUTU&x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688#t=100

I have proved 90% of the evidence against woodcollectors scheme...I have found almost every vector art he has used from the internet.....which was supposed to be original from his own mind.. He has not used or doesnt have a laser...I have proved that he indeed wanted a laser and wanted build one..  I can go on and on with the evidence I have shown.... make up your own mind by rereading all the facts.....

Would you trust woodcollector with everthing you have seen and read....then please send coins to 1LatheNNRsWhSZBcFvXpkZd1P3Wz4yA3Vz( woodcollectors Lathe funds)  and see if he will send them back.... I know I wouldnt!!!  

You haven't proven a SINGLE THING. What you have done however is string together lots of theories and increasingly thin plot lines in an interesting narrative. Speculation is not evidence. In order to have proof you need a collection of evidence. You don't have a single piece of actual evidence, just unskilled personal observation, accusations, and theories.

I've been eyeing WoodCollector's work for some time, and have considered purchasing a piece, but I won't and here's why:

1) The works are advertised as "hand-carved" and this video is described as "hand carving". This is not hand carving. You use handheld power tools; therefore this is hand crafting. You also explicitly stated that you did work with a hand-guided router. That's a fabrication machine, not a powered hand tool. It's been on a fabrication table; therefore, it's a mechanically fabricated work even if all the machining was done by hand. Misrepresenting your work as hand-carved is an attempt to overprice it. You could argue that it is still hand-crafted and possibly win the argument, but there is no way this work could be called "hand carving". (Disagree? Ask an Amish woodworker that actually does hand-carve everything.)

2) Professional carpenters never, ever, EVER smoke in the shop. It's an incredible fire hazard as well as a personal danger since stimulants can increase the risk of slippage on a power tool. My father was an avid chain smoker and would never allow tobacco in his work area. Not only are there safety issues, but tobacco smoke has a deleterious effect on unfinished wood including staining it and imparting the odor. Nothing ruins the smell of fresh wood cuttings quite like tobacco smoke, and it never goes away...

1) So, because he used hand guided tools on part of his projects, the actual manual hand tool carving he does in addition suddenly is not hand carving? So unless he does EVERYTHING from start to finish with manual hand tools, it is not "hand carved"? You sound completely ridiculous.

2)I know several professional woodworkers who smoke in their shops. Is it safe? Maybe not. Is it proof he is not a professional woodworker? Not in the slightest. This is just more circumstantial nonsense woven into a big web of bullshit theories.

I think if WC agreed to use this label from now on, and refunded those customers
who were unhappy because of this scandal, he would win a lot of respect
(mine included), despite all the foolishness that has occurred so far.

Who the fuck are you to demand anything from him? If his customers ACTUALLY have a problem nothing is stopping them from posting here or anywhere else on the forum to get resolution. This is just more obsessive compulsive 2 bit mall cop control game bullshit in a last ditch attempt to get him to admit fault where there NEVER WAS ANY.

I would say that even if it were carved with a laser with an initial imprint then it would not be the scam that this is being made out to be.  

Perhaps not... but WC sabotaged himself and
create a scandal by fervently denying it was
anything but "hand carved"... and that's when
everyone pounced on him and called BS.

I think you have a serious problem with remembering the order of events. It went something like this:

1. Nubbins was bored one day and has a theory that WC's works must be laser engraved.

2. Speculation is posted along with stacks of indeterminate circumstantial information that may or may not mean anything.

3. Nubbins rallies a mob within 24 hours before WC even has a chance to reply to this "scandal" Nubbins has invented.

4. WC attempts to defend himself from a mob of willfully ignorant children who have never whittled a stick let alone done any actual serious craftsmanship.

5. Everyone is a self proclaimed expert.

6. Based on these "expert" opinions he MUST be lying. Baseless accusations galore.

7. WC provides actual video proof of his hand carving skills.

8. A staff member of the forum decides to start banning people who speak on behalf of WC and deletes their posts.

9. Nubbins flips out and negative trust ratings for all who oppose him.

10. Nubbins and his clique continue fight tooth and nail to prevent having to admit they were wrong.

BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 08:25:13 PM

I was lead here from a post from reddit..... and could clearly see that someone was pawning off Laser etched wares as hand crafted...knowing what it takes to laser etch wood with vector art I searched and found what was needed to prove otherwise..

My typing style is nothing like nubbins....      as I use... all the time...

I dont post on bitcointalk , but some of the more trusted people here know who I am from other places.. and that I am not nubbins sock puppet
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 08:27:13 PM

Woolcollector sockpuppet list

-------Terrahasher

-------ukcrypto

-------SodaWarz

They appear to have some interest in WC succeeding here as they support him pretty much no matter what evidence is presented.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 08:30:43 PM

TECSHARE, you are missing the point. This isn't about whenever something can or can't be done using manual tools vs. cnc, it's about whenever WoodCollector really is a master wood carver and the things he sells are in fact his masterpieces.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 08:31:40 PM

That video was enough to convince me. Congrats WC, you've managed to settle the debate.

As BG4 said, everyone if free to make up their own mind on this, but at least we know the caliber of WC's ability.

How so did he settle the debate given all of the previously discussed issues?

Which issue did he settle?

The not using a "laser" part? ...I love how the video starts with a stencil already burned into the wood. Gosh how come we didn't get to see how that is done?  Roll Eyes

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 08:35:51 PM

Even the simple things like smoking and wearing rings while producing the video clearly shows a disconnect.

I lel'd. Somewhat related, came across this in a book recently:

"Workers in the shop should be cautioned against smoking while at work, especially those whose work calls for repeated physical motions, such as are entailed in manual printing. The nature of such physical activity does not permit the leisurely demeanor of the habitual smoker. Puffing on a cigarette, then carefully balancing it on the edge of a the table to keep an eye on it, then removing the ashes with the gesture of a country squire - these actions are definitely out of place in a busy shop. Not only does smoking tend to retard production, but it is an infringement of the law in the immediate proximity of inflammables. It endangers the life of all"
-Complete Book of Screen Printing Production By: J.I. Biegeleisen, 1963.

I noticed he was smoking as well too. Bad practice?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

fishb0ne

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 08:40:30 PM

Wonder if we took all the photos of his work and presented them to an online community of wood carvers, what they would say: 100% hand carved as claimed, or laser cut?
BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 08:55:58 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2015, 09:09:14 PM by BG4

https://i.imgur.com/nGUz6A9.jpg

Please take a look at this picture ...please note the bottem of the B between the 2 vertical lines of the bitcoin logo.. note the hexagons that look like the vector art copy and past images dont line up ...why would this be done by hand....unless it was dont by a machine a human artist wouldnt do this type of mistake.....

clearly CNC laser.....

this is by far the most damning evidence that this was not HAND CARVED and indeed  LASER CNC worked
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 08:58:15 PM

@WoodCollector,

I had hoped to see much more tiny detail that resembles your previously touted work that you sold to previous customers.

The level of detail on this does not even compare to any and all of the wood "coins" you've done.

Would have liked to have seen you hand carve in the small details that were the talk revolving around using a laser.

Are you going to do a much more fine detailed piece? Why do such a huge product when you could do a small (1/4th or 1/8th the size of the "finger") version that has intricate detail and shut us all up?

This isn't about you attacking or getting retribution on nubbins. Your focus is off and should be on proving all of your detractors wrong.

Let's assume WoodCollector that your skills are as you say, it does not remove the fact that I have found several places where you posted on this forum where you strongly imply that you create original/custom designs for your customers based on their input. But that has been proven to be a lie as you yourself say that you use clip art and pre done designs downloaded/copied off of the internet.

LazerViking sent you a $200 deposit on this premise that you set over the past several months on this forum.

This makes you a thief/liar in that respect. Why not just refund him his money if you supposedly make so much more money on your other client's products?

Seems contradicting to keep $200 and have people know you as a thief.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing a more intricate detailed piece that is hand carved via a video.

Let's be real you could have responded to your detractors in a much more professional manner and left the cussing and childish behavior aside. But you didn't and that does reflect badly on your image. Of course you supposedly do not care about your reputation or forum rep/trust...yet it is one of the main reasons you targeted nubbins in the first place (him leaving neg trust).

This forum has reached epic levels of pathetic. Probably over 9000.

Lets address some of your "points".

1. You claim because he used other images for part of his designs that this is proof the images were stolen. Additionally you say he "strongly implied" that they were original works therefore he is a liar.

First of all, the works he used were licensed. That means he has a legal right to use the work. Additionally he MODIFIED THEM. This is under law defined as a DERIVATIVE WORK, legally giving him the right to use the work regardless. Your assumptions about where he got some of the designs from does not constitute a lie on his part. There is nothing illegal or immoral about this no matter how you try to misconstrue it.

2. Why not do a more detailed piece?

So he is supposed to produce a master work on the spot for you lot of mobbing willfully ignorant degenerates? I think you overestimate your importance drastically. Furthermore your claims have no substance. Why should he waste that much time and energy for a bunch of children with no real argument? He is a professional, with a life, and with a job. I am sure most of you here making accusations can't relate.

3. Lazerviking made a deposit, and wants it back.

DEPOSITS are UNIVERSALLY KNOWN to be NONREFUNDABLE if the depositing party decides to back out of a transaction. That is almost the entire purpose of a deposit. The fact that Nubbins rallied a mob over a bunch of baseless speculation, and Lazerviking bought it, does not constitute any kind of malfeasance on the part of Wood Collector, especially now that he has proven he does his work by hand. It just makes Lazerviking a gullible lemming sucked into Nubbins's mob action.

4. You could have responded much more professionally.

Really? A mob of sharking children shit all over him based on some theories and he is supposed to be all please and thank you? In my opinion he has shown EXCEPTIONAL restraint. Considering that Nubbins is the one who was the inception of all of this, I also find it appropriate to respond directly to him in whatever way he feels necessary. You don't get to lead a mob of people then step aside and cry foul when it turns out you were wrong.

In response to some of the other points brought up...

5. How was the original design applied and why are there burn marks?

The initial design itself was applied with a HAND GUIDED router. As anyone who has ever used high RPM tools on wood knows that high RPM tools WILL BURN WOOD. This is a fact, but how would you lot of basement dwellers and techies know this? You have never built anything with your hands and even if you did you don't have any clue about the level of craftsmanship involved in such a project.

6. He used power tools! That is not hand carving!

Actually... he was working with his hands and applying designs manually with no mechanical guidance. This relies 100% on his ability to control his movements in order to produce his art. By your Luddite logic, anyone who draws on a tablet isn't able to draw because they didn't use pencil an paper. Expecting that 100% of his work would be done manually without any kind of automatic tools is just retarded and would be a complete waste of time/energy on his part.

7. Sockpuppets.

Really? Just because some one doesn't agree with you and thinks you are mistaken they MUST BE WC's sock puppets? I must be his sock puppet too!
Quite convenient this accusation is impossible to prove or disprove. This is nothing more than a slanderfest.

I see a lot more new faces joining in to defend the sinking ship that is Nubbins and his mob as a last ditch effort to intimidate WC and anyone else from speaking in WC's defense. From what I understand at least 4 people have now been banned and have had their posts removed for speaking up for him. Quite a classy operation you run here Bitcointalk.

1. I never said he stole the designs he used. lol nice try buddy.

2. Yes. If he truly wanted to shut us all up he would do a piece that is of the same level if not higher in detail of his previous works.

3. LazerViking's claim was that he was under the impression that WC did ORIGINAL work. Clearly he doesn't as he uses licensed clip art. Nice try again buddy. And this is why he was asking for a refund. If the guy makes good money why keep $200 on false pretenses that his work was original? I made several references where he clearly says he creates custom designs and his work is original as he gets information from each client to "tailor" each design to that client. Now tell me if someone made a reputation of saying/implying they do original/custom work and you made a deposit...then found out after that the designs were not original...would you not ask for a refund? My guess is not. LazerViking wants his money for this very reason. Please keep defining a deposit to us all as that is not what is in question, the part that is in question is the character misrepresentation of his work and what that means.

4. Exceptional restraint? LOL Check out below where he calls his own customer a fag and cusses etc. He could have handled himself much better especially about throwing me under the bus about my physical bitcoin design backgrounds being part of deviant art which I proved him wrong and he had nothing to say. This coming from the very first guy to approach him professionally and neutrally back in early dec to get the facts from WC himself then he wanted to discuss the details of his work off of the forum of which I never got around to. So basically he treated me the same way as nubbins treated him yet he has the gall to cry about it while throwing me under the bus without coming to me to get the facts about my designs for my coins (physical bitcoins).

This was lost in the hard drive crash, but luckily I took a screenshot.

Here's a "master wood carver" who makes ten million dollars a year, calling his detractors fags:

Here it is

5. You are right I do not do much wood work. Never claimed to. But take your cheap shot on me anyway. Thanks for answering for WC and ignoring the fact that he did not show how the stencil was put on to the wood. It just appeared magically before the video started.  Roll Eyes

6. Oh really? Look at all of the tools he posted in the pic he sent me back in december 2014. No power tools he used in his video are to be found in that picture. LOL once again nice try. Also note our discussion in my quote below as you will see I approached him with a professional attitude. Only after what I seen transpire in the last week by WC did I change my stance on the guy being unprofessional, a liar, and a thief.

Is this hand carved?

Honestly, no offense it looks like it was laser engraved. I've lasered wood and it looks very similar in nature.

Nice work!!

Hand carved with chisels and worked with a dremmel tool and sandpaper.

No offense taken.

I've seen lasered wood before and it just looks dull to me. It only has 1 real dimension and that's depth. I was looking into getting a laser to speed up the stenciling process but after a day of searching found that any good ones run $20,000 up to $80,000 which is a lot more than i want to spend to save 5 minutes of work of transferring an outline from paper to wood.

7. Just because we suspect they are sock puppets does not make us wrong in our being skeptical. You should go back into forum history and see how sock puppets have been used to scam and dissuade detractors in discussions. Not a bad thing to be skeptical. You take our skepticism to another level of butthurt.

Seriously as HILARIOUSANDCO asked you, when are you going to leave this forum as you cry like a little whiney baby much like Goat did and if you truly feel the way you do why not stop wasting your time here and move on to a better place...hint: cryptocrypt.org? lol  Roll Eyes Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:00:23 PM

I think if WC agreed to use this label from now on, and refunded those customers
who were unhappy because of this scandal, he would win a lot of respect
(mine included), despite all the foolishness that has occurred so far.

Who the fuck are you to demand anything from him? If his customers ACTUALLY have a problem nothing is stopping them from posting here or anywhere else on the forum to get resolution. This is just more obsessive compulsive 2 bit mall cop control game bullshit in a last ditch attempt to get him to admit fault where there NEVER WAS ANY.

WOW...You are twisted dude... I'm not surprised Nubbins left you
negative feedback about your judgement.

1. I'm not DEMANDING anything here.   I said that IF
he offers customers refunds, I would respect that.  Am
I not allowed to express that opinion?  Wtf?

2. There HAVE been customers ACTUALLY having
problems.  One has come forward and there
are allegations of several others that wish
to be anonymous.

3.  This is the best 'olive branch' offer WC is going to get...
It's a way for everyone to move forward
without WC admit any wrongdoing, and you are too
thick to see that.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:03:38 PM

Tecshare,

Regardless of how the original design was applied, all he did in this video is trace around pre-engraved lines.

Do you disagree?

I do disagree. He applied those router lines BY HAND. Not by laser, Not by CNC, but with a HAND ROUTER. The fact that he "traced" lines is irrelevant, because any artist with sufficiently detailed work almost always applies their design down first to work around. How are the proper proportions and details supposed to be applied otherwise? Just by memory and his alien like ability to apply designs on wood without any guide?

What is NOT irrelevant however, is the fact that NO LASER WAS USED, as this was the entire premise to begin with. the fact that these retards are now claiming he made this video as some kind of fakerry is BEYOND PATHETIC, is completely devoid of logic, and just a result of the inability to admit they were wrong.

That video took almost 2 days to upload... if he had edited it you would all be screaming about him doing things off camera. He said he had more videos and will post them. Nothing I have seen him say is in any way suspicious to me, because I am not completely ignorant as to what goes into the craft of woodworking. I can guarantee however that pretty much everyone here attacking him is though. It is easy to argue from a position of ignorance, because you don't know enough about the situation to have any clue of what is going on!

Okay then why not include that in the video he posted?

Do you want to speak for WoodCollector again since you supposedly have a physic connection to the guy?

You know exactly what he did right? Even with no proof of it?

LOL

Looks like you should be the one eating a shit sandwich. You are grasping at straws with no evidence to back up your claims. Speculation.  Roll Eyes

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 09:07:49 PM

While you guys are arguing over the semantics of a transaction accepted by both parties, forests are being cut down to satisfy fiat loans and families are being separated by border fascists.  Billions have no idea how to use public currency.  Could you try for some more productive choices of battles please? 

Thanks --   funkenstein the dwarf

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:08:12 PM

The initial design itself was applied with a HAND GUIDED router.

Goodness gracious. Next you are telling me he traced those outer circles with micron level precision.

100% he did, I WAS A PROFESSIONAL CARPENTER and cabinet maker AND AM WILLING TO BACK THAT STATEMENT UP. Its how i put myself through college.

This is what you get when a bunch of basement dwelling nerds who have never touched a power tool in their life decide they are experts on wood working

Want to see how he did it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOEu77gavYk

Now shut up and stop proving everyone's point that you are all just on a never ending witch hunt with no basis for any of your claims.

LOL so posting a video that is not WC should convince us that is what he did?

Uh no. Sorry come back and try again.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:09:49 PM

Read my question again please...key phase "in this video".

He may have done the design by hand (doubt it) but when video starts it is already there.

Do you disagree with that?

Wow.  You should be either a lawyer or a news reporter. You're good at manipulating questions just to get the answer you desire.

I'm not sure if that was meant in support or derision, but
I'll take it as a compliment, thank you.

It is not hard to ask the right questions
when you stick to the point.

What is the point?  

The point is that this video was supposed to prove
WoodCollector's skills in hand carving.

Since the wood is already engraved to large
degree at the start of the video, who in
their right mind would conclude that this
is a good proof of hand carving skills?

And why in the world is Tecshare asserting
that something was done by hand
that's NOT in the video?

Don't you know, TECSHARE knows everything.  Cheesy

The guy is a joke.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:11:13 PM

He may have done the design by hand (doubt it) but when video starts it is already there.

Wow.  You should be either a lawyer or a news reporter. You're good at manipulating questions just to get the answer you desire.

What is the point? 

that's NOT in the video?

You obviously do not think it is possible to carve that kind of detail without having some kind of reference do you? I would say that burning a sketch of what he is to carve into the wood would not take away from the fact that he was hand carving his pieces.

And I would. Having nicely burnt out stencil to "carve" around is not hand-carving.

He claims he used carbon paper to do a stencil and only that. Not he is supposedly using another tool?

Please...

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:15:10 PM

So where is his pivot hole? I can't see one.

But that's besides the point, all indications are the "fuck you nubbins" piece was done using a cnc router.
The letters are flawless, along with the middle finger, and using a palm router you aren't gonna do that.  Besides it makes no sense to do this kind of work by hand if you have access to cnc equipment, (which has been pretty much established at this point).
What remains is what it appears to be some guy exploiting his fablab membership to sell make believe handicraft works.

Pivot hole? Are you really that inept?

There are about a dozen ways to do the same thing when you cannot leave a hole behind. My personal favorite is by gluing a pin to the center with some wood glue. Takes about 4 hours to dry, and once the circles are done, you can knock it off with a hammer, and 5 seconds with a power sander will remove the glue marks.

You guys are seriously pathetic and way far out on a very shaky limb with all this shit.

The letters are flawless? No shit Sherlock, how hard is it to trace over a line?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNcojZRQK7w

Takes me 10 seconds on youtube to make you look like an idiot. How much more time to do you want to invest on sealing your fate?

It is better to be thought an idiot and remain silent than to open your mouth and remove all doubts.  You and your MOB are going down in a ball of smoke and flames, might want to think about your actions for a minute before its too late and you lose all credibility you ever had in this place.

Okay you should keep overlooking the fact that the piece he was "carving" is in no way shape or form close to the level of detail of his other pieces he touted on this forum.

This video proves nothing of that sort.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:16:36 PM

At the end the video doesn't prove anything .
stingleword
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Out of crypto entirely and don't miss it

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:22:11 PM

1) The works are advertised as "hand-carved" and this video is described as "hand carving". This is not hand carving. You use handheld power tools; therefore this is hand crafting. You also explicitly stated that you did work with a hand-guided router. That's a fabrication machine, not a powered hand tool. It's been on a fabrication table; therefore, it's a mechanically fabricated work even if all the machining was done by hand. Misrepresenting your work as hand-carved is an attempt to overprice it. You could argue that it is still hand-crafted and possibly win the argument, but there is no way this work could be called "hand carving". (Disagree? Ask an Amish woodworker that actually does hand-carve everything.)

1) So, because he used hand guided tools on part of his projects, the actual manual hand tool carving he does in addition suddenly is not hand carving? So unless he does EVERYTHING from start to finish with manual hand tools, it is not "hand carved"? You sound completely ridiculous.

2)I know several professional woodworkers who smoke in their shops. Is it safe? Maybe not. Is it proof he is not a professional woodworker? Not in the slightest. This is just more circumstantial nonsense woven into a big web of bullshit theories.

Carving with hand tools is hand carving. Hand crafting with power tools is not hand carving. A piece crafted with power tools is not hand carved, even if some hand carving was done to finish the work. This distinction does directly impact the value of the item no matter what is being produced.

Since you know of woodworkers that endanger themselves, their peers, and customers, while quite possibly violating local business and safety laws, that also claim to be professional, I must therefore be wrong despite having actively been involved in the industry. Despite having praised the quality of the work I am somehow lumped into a mysterious crowd of people making a scam accusation. Let me make this perfectly clear.

I am not accusing WoodCollector of scamming, or attempting to scam anyone.

One does not need to be a professional to do quality work, and I maintain this is quality work. It just isn't what was advertised, which is "hand-carved artwork". It's not; it's hand-crafted. That doesn't make it any less quality. It was misrepresented, and that is my one and only complaint and reason for not being interested in what is otherwise superb and beautiful craftmanship offered by a skilled artist.

Crypto is dead, its community is a series of bad jokes.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:22:36 PM

That video was enough to convince me. Congrats WC, you've managed to settle the debate.

As BG4 said, everyone if free to make up their own mind on this, but at least we know the caliber of WC's ability.

How so did he settle the debate given all of the previously discussed issues?

Which issue did he settle?

The not using a "laser" part? ...I love how the video starts with a stencil already burned into the wood. Gosh how come we didn't get to see how that is done?  Roll Eyes
There's obviously the issue of his previous customers, but going forward I think WC has chosen to give a good representation of his level of skill in this video. He was challenged to provide a demonstration of his hand carving process (I suggested some of the intricate detail shown here, and he provided a video of him removing bulk material up to a pre-cut line using a Dremel.

If someone now wants to ignore all the red under his name and still buy one of his coins for thousands of dollars after looking at this stuff...
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 09:25:13 PM

Wow.  You should be either a lawyer or a news reporter. You're good at manipulating questions just to get the answer you desire.

What is the point? 

that's NOT in the video?

You obviously do not think it is possible to carve that kind of detail without having some kind of reference do you? I would say that burning a sketch of what he is to carve into the wood would not take away from the fact that he was hand carving his pieces.

And I would. Having nicely burnt out stencil to "carve" around is not hand-carving.

He claims he used carbon paper to do a stencil and only that. Not he is supposedly using another tool?

Please...
I think at this point we are primarily arguing about semantics. I don't think this is anywhere near the scandal it was made out to be.

Did he misrepresent himself in claiming to "hand carve" all his pieces? Probably but this really depends on your definition of "hard carved", and pre these threads would probably not demanded such a strict definition of "hand carved" as is being asked for now.

Would his art have been valued/sold for less if these threads were never made but WC published the same video for potential customers to see how is art is made? Maybe - but not 90%+ levels as previously discussed as the pieces are made in a manual fashion and WC would need to put a lot of work into his pieces and would not sell for 90%+ discounts (he would be earning sub min wage if he did). The use of a laser implies (to me) that the pieces were made via some automated process.

Was he using a laser to carve the piece in the video? No. He may have used something to burn the sketch into the wood, however as mentioned above the disclosure of such would not diminish the value of his work by 90%+
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: